• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok GAF lets battle it out. Which franchise is better F-Zero or Wipeout

Pick yours

Results are only viewable after voting.
If there was such a thing as a future racer sim, Wipeout would be it. Those machines are hovering, and that's exactly how controlling them feels like. In F-Zero they stick to the ground like glue. I think it's easy to prefer F-Zero because of the tighter controls, you never have to fight your own vehicle, but at the same time its missing this aspect of learning to tame your machine.

MrT-Tar

Definitely F-Zero in my eyes, however Wipeout has an incredible art style and general 'feel' that almost without paralell in gaming.

AC!D

F-Zero GX > Wip3out > F-Zero X > Wipeout 2097

Wip3out on the PSOne was the last good Wipeout game. In particular dat soundtrack.

The controls on the PSP 'reboot' just did not feel right compared to 1-3 but was OK-ish. The PlayStation 2 game was downright bad when it should have been developed as a flagship title. (Not that the PS2 ended up needing it).

F-Zero GX is the melding of Nintendo and Sega's godlike racing game genius. It's untouchable.

Have y'all played in this?

18620055_10156170374313989_2649272493296482121_n.jpg

Because I have and my answer is Fzero
Even though it would obviously break the "arcade" aspect I really wish it was more unforgiving with barriers and crash = retire

AX is fucking amazing but that would make it truly perfect, without them it feels less F-Zero

F-Zero has characters, so F-Zero wins.

I played F-Zero AX for the first time at the arcade in Circus Circus in Las Vegas just last year. Now, I've never played an arcade driving game before (other than Mario Kart Arcade GP), so is it normal for the seat to rock around? I ask because that was freaking WILD! I had a BLAST playing that game and screaming like I was on a roller coaster! What an experience!

Wipeout has teams

missfeisarpsp.jpg

No need for shallow cartoony characters. Its straight business.

Glowsquid

The idea that Wipeout is a wholly shallow series coasting on the novelty of big name electronic bands and Le Pretty Designer's Republic art is odd to me considering how active and devoted the series TA's scene is. But thanks to the quality insight I've come to expect from the top minds at neogaf, like "Another post from a Wipeout fan that seems to prefer style over substance.", I have seen the light.

One thing I will say though is, the older I get, the less I like the weapon aspect - dislike it infact. It's one of the reason I hold WP Fusion in higher regard than most people: the game decided to truly pick a side and embrace being a bullshit luck party game, instead of mixing a softsim inertia-heavy racer with Mario Kart, to unhappy results. The game definitely had unfortunate design choices though

correojon

It's hard to see how they'd improve on GX honestly, other than adding online and improving the graphics. I imagine it's partially why they ceased making new entries.

Miyamoto said something along those lines when asked why they wouldn´t release a new F-Zero. He said they like to add something new in every entry to their games and they couldn´t think of anything worthy to add to F-Zero. With MK8 having antigravity, I guess the chances of a new F-Zero are even slimmer...:( But well, with Nintendo´s embracing DLC now more, maybe there´s a chance they don´t think that way anymore. Or maybe they can add more F-Zero stuff to MK8 so it somehow lives one there (I know it´s not the same, but it´s better than nothing).

kadotsu

Banned
The idea that Wipeout is a wholly shallow series coasting on the novelty of big name electronic bands and Le Pretty Designer's Republic art is odd to me considering how active and devoted the series TA's scene is. But thanks to the quality insight I've come to expect from the top minds at neogaf, like "Another post from a Wipeout fan that seems to prefer style over substance.", I have seen the light.

One thing I will say though is, the older I get, the less I like the weapon aspect - dislike it infact. It's one of the reason I hold WP Fusion in higher regard than most people: the game decided to truly pick a side and embrace being a bullshit luck party game, instead of mixing a softsim inertia-heavy racer with Mario Kart, to unhappy results. The game definitely had unfortunate design choices though

2048 at least tried to lower the luck aspect a bit by color coding the pickup spots better. Weapons still have too many fire and forget types, though.

FinalAres

Genuinely interesting to see people say f zero is better because of its tight controls, when the depth of Wipeout is that it has loose controls. Which to be fair, a lot of people hate. But more people love it.

Wouldn't Wipeout be KoF?

I don't see it. The weightiness, relative modesty and pseudo-sim sensibilities of Wipeout seem analogous to Virtua Fighter to me. While Street Fighter represents the responsive arcade snappiness, colorful cartoon style, iconic characters and GOAT level music.

I could never get into Wipeout, even in 95 when it launched with all the club scene hype behind it. F-Zero was one of my favourite SNES games when it first came out so I'm gonna have to go with that.

meerak

F-Zero is legendary. To me, it's the game "that started it all" when it comes to these sorts of racers (may or may not be technically, beats me) so in terms of legacy it's very hard to top it.

My memory would also sit F-Zero as the generally more challenging franchise, though I guess your mileage will vary. If you are trying either today, without much history or nostalgia for one or the other, I think WipEout is easier to pick up and play, and still provides a very high skill ceiling.

In terms of design aesthetic, I do mostly prefer WipEout and that I think is a legacy of its own; at the time of the original WipEout, seeing magazine covers and spreads with the aesthetic of the game was *super surprising*; it was more mature & elegant than we had really seen until then. In my mind, WipEout is among the first "truly cool" video games, and one that really tied this "Euro-Cool-Aesthetic" to PlayStation in general. Honestly, WipEout is still among the high-water marks for design. With all the Sci-Fi shit we've seen in recent years, I think the brands, logos and feel of the WipEout world are rarely topped - and keep in mind, this is a racing game, not an open world game, adventure or anything like that. It really says something about your design when players can wip through at 1000 km/hour and still get it.

I don't want to downplay the aesthetic and vehicle design of F-Zero (which really shines in GX) as it's incredibly strong, but the atmosphere and tone of WipEout is more up my alley.

In terms of music, it's hard (impossible) to beat F-Zero's classic tunes (especially how bananas amazing they were in historical context), but I do have a real soft spot for WipEout soundtracks; they fuze so well with the visuals in that game. WipEout Fury's menu music is a great distillation of what "WipEout" feels like. If you forgot: have at you.

tzare

I don't see it. The weightiness, relative modesty and pseudo-sim sensibilities of Wipeout seem analogous to Virtua Fighter to me. While Street Fighter represents the responsive arcade snappiness, colorful cartoon style, iconic characters and GOAT level music.
This makes some sense. The'floatier' feel of 3D fighters vs SF is an interesting analogy.

I always have thought WO has deeper gameplay, floating allows to 'skip' some cornes by flying and not hitting the limits/walls , and the independent brakes allow for very precise controls, really difficult to master though.

Preach. One of the biggest reasons why I love GX so much is it's purity. No weapons, no autopilot, just pure skill racing. I will never understand the insistence to include weapons in just about every racing game.

F-Zero is legendary. To me, it's the game "that started it all" when it comes to these sorts of racers (may or may not be technically, beats me) so in terms of legacy it's very hard to top it.

My memory would also sit F-Zero as the generally more challenging franchise, though I guess your mileage will vary. If you are trying either today, without much history or nostalgia for one or the other, I think WipEout is easier to pick up and play, and still provides a very high skill ceiling.

In terms of design aesthetic, I do mostly prefer WipEout and that I think is a legacy of its own; at the time of the original WipEout, seeing magazine covers and spreads with the aesthetic of the game was *super surprising*; it was more mature & elegant than we had really seen until then. In my mind, WipEout is among the first "truly cool" video games, and one that really tied this "Euro-Cool-Aesthetic" to PlayStation in general. Honestly, WipEout is still among the high-water marks for design. With all the Sci-Fi shit we've seen in recent years, I think the brands, logos and feel of the WipEout world are rarely topped - and keep in mind, this is a racing game, not an open world game, adventure or anything like that. It really says something about your design when players can wip through at 1000 km/hour and still get it.

I don't want to downplay the aesthetic and vehicle design of F-Zero (which really shines in GX) as it's incredibly strong, but the atmosphere and tone of WipEout is more up my alley.

In terms of music, it's hard (impossible) to beat F-Zero's classic tunes (especially how bananas amazing they were in historical context), but I do have a real soft spot for WipEout soundtracks; they fuze so well with the visuals in that game. WipEout Fury's menu music is a great distillation of what "WipEout" feels like. If you forgot: have at you.

Wipeout nailed that grounded future look like no other

80324a4825c7fc72f5df24263a99aedd.jpg

F-Zero, if only because of GX. Wipeout is fun for what it is but like a lot (not all) of Sony properties, it's more style than substance. That can get you pretty far, if executed exceptionally well, but only so far.

Yeah that other "substance" that wipeout lacks and F-zero has goes super far. When was the last F-zero game?

Amir0x

Banned
I think F-Zero GX is the greatest racing game of all time. That said, Wipeout is amazing and I think there has been more high quality entries in Wipeout than FZero. Plus we probably never getting another F-Zero game at this rate :(

This thread needs a poll.

I love both, but F-Zero is the one I go back to more often.

Also, there are twice as many Wipeout games as there were F-Zeros and five of those released post the last release of F-Zero. That just shows you how ahead of it's time F-Zero GX was.

Glowsquid

All the Wipeout games have horrible floaty driving controls.

It loses by default for anyone that values, you know, good gameplay in their video games.

I don't foresee this being a productive exchange, but this posts kind of amuses me because mastering the "floaty shitty controls" in Wipeout is what me and many of its hardcore fans would say, the fun! And before anyone comes on with the obvious "So you're saying Wipeout is about dealing with shitty controls?" quip, no, the controls in Wipeout aren't "bad". The button layout makes sense, it doesn't suffer from objective problems like input lag or dropped inputs and a skilled player will be consistantly able to get the same results from a craft. Dealing with the inertia, finding your racing line and the flow, learning where to apply airbrakes is very fun, and in my mind, an equally valid approach to making a racing game. It's a preference thing and I get that. I wouldn't have responded to this if it wasn't for the "*sips wines* Of course true hardcore gamers with sophisticated tastes know better" spiel.

Falcon 4 is bullshit. The plane is Too Slow and I have to have actual knowledge of aerodynamics to get it to turn. I should be able to do a Immelman by double-tapping the Z key like in Star Fox 64, which is objectively the One True Way to make good video games.

AllEchse

We can all agree that wipEout HD/Fury and 2097 are the pinnacle of the wipEout series and F-Zero X and GX are the best F-Zeros (X > GX though, fight me).

Other than that the both have their very distinct identity with awesome original music in F-Zero (the metal in X still best) and the licensed extremely fitting to the atmosphere moody music in wipEout.

Gameplaywise F-Zero is much more about boosting and keeping the grip of your vehicle on the track while wipEout is about timing the turn around the corners, because the vehicles feel much heavier here than the pretty direct vehicles in F-Zero.

It's really extremely different.

But to keep in spirit with this thread, F-Zero cured my diarrhea while wipEout made me breakfast when I got better.

edit:
one should also note that the 2D F-Zeros are a whole other beast.

Glowsquid

Preach. One of the biggest reasons why I love GX so much is it's purity. No weapons, no autopilot, just pure skill racing. I will never understand the insistence to include weapons in just about every racing game.

To be clear, I don't have any problem with weapons in racing games. My all-time favourite racer (sci-fi or otherwise) is XGRA and I think its weapon combat is tremendous fun! But I don't like the way Wipeout does it at all.

Mentioning that "Wipeout controls floaty" in a game where your racing machine is, you know, actually floating will never stop being hilarious to me.

F-Zero X and GX are in an entirely different league from any of the Wipeout games. The gameplay is tighter, more focused, and the sense of speed is unparalleled.

Honestly STUN Runner is better than the Wipeout games.

FinalAres

This thread needs a poll.

I love both, but F-Zero is the one I go back to more often.

Also, there are twice as many Wipeout games as there were F-Zeros and five of those released post the last release of F-Zero. That just shows you how ahead of it's time F-Zero GX was.
I mean if it's essentially F-Zero GX vs Wip3out then it's a very different question with a very different answer. Wipeout was always great but Wipeout HD is just way ahead of any Wipeout game before it.

Mentioning that "Wipeout controls floaty" in a game where your racing machine is, you know, actually floating will never stop being hilarious to me.

I find F-Zero X/GX handling might be a little bit too jittery and mission mode too hard to be enjoyable at all, but people here would probably end up saying" Git Gud".

Dunkley

Both series generally have a very stellar record to show, but while Wipeout had some amazing titles, F-Zero had GX.

Top Bottom