• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok GAF lets battle it out. Which franchise is better F-Zero or Wipeout

Pick yours

Results are only viewable after voting.
omg Jackstin is actually serious XD

At the highest levels GX requires absolute mastery over the vehicle, far more than is ever required in a Wipeout game.

Tagyhag

Wipeout is definitely the more consistent franchise, but pound for pound, the F-Zero series is better.

Better music, better tracks, colorful characters, and the driving itself is a blast.

I'm also someone that likes to be challenged, and I don't think anyone can deny that the F-Zero games take more skill.

Wamb0wneD

Surely the fact that the game is easily broken, as shown in your video, means the way its designed is pretty straight forward. Obviously not easy easy, but not like Wipeout where being good means learning a sophisticated control system, not just working out which bits of the track to boost over.

Nice try. How about this one then?

Or this one. No skipping by boosting at all in this one.

So easy am i right? So unsophisticated.

At the highest levels GX requires absolute mastery over the vehicle, far more than is ever required in a Wipeout game.
If he watches the ones i posted right now and still talks the same nonsense I won't even bother anymore.

FinalAres

Thats just not true. In F zero you have accelerate, brake, and strafe. Wipeout you have those as well as a pair of air breaks, and you need to be fully in control of all those elements at all times. That's before you've to think about positioning your craft to take both the boosters and racing line in to account.

Thats something that is measurably more sophisticated in Wipeout.

F-Zero has games that are better than any Wipeout game I've played, but there are more good games in the Wipeout series overall.

Wamb0wneD

Thats just not true. In F zero you have accelerate, brake, and strafe. Wipeout you have those as well as a pair of air breaks, and you need to be fully in control of all those elements at all times. That's before you've to think about positioning your craft to take both the boosters and racing line in to account.

Thats something that is measurably more sophisticated in Wipeout.

You can't even bring up the entirety of F-Zeros control scheme man. Stop comparing stuff when you have no clue about one of the things you try to compare.

RootCause

Wipeout is clearly the superior series. Characters are the only thing FZero has over Wipeout, and that to me matters very little when talking about the complete package.

F-Zero has games that are better than any Wipeout game I've played, but there are more good games in the Wipout series overall.
F-Zero GX is one of my favorite games of all time, but I don't think I've ever enjoyed another F-Zero game. I've barely played the N64 one but what I remember of it didn't really hook me at all. And the 2D ones I've never been able to enjoy, the handling just isn't fun to me.

WipEout I've found pretty enjoyable whether it was on PSP, Vita, or PS3, so for me it has a slight edge over F-Zero, but that's only because Nintendo has BARELY released any 3D games in the series.

FinalAres

Nice try. How about this one then?

If he watches the ones i posted right now and still talks the same nonsense I won't even bother anymore.
Yes, definitely comparatively unsophisticated. I didn't say it was easy (I specifically pointed out not actually easy). But compared to the complex control scheme of Wipeout? You've got to be joking.

And no I did not bring up the entire control scheme, but I did bring up every key thing you are using for both racers, which I know because unlike you I've spent a significant amount of time with both.

Shaneus

Do you know how unsophisticated that is? It's a TAS, tool-assisted speedrun. So the only way you can race without boosting/skipping is if you have a robot play the game for you?

Wamb0wneD

Yes, definitely comparatively unsophisticated. I didn't say it was easy (I specifically pointed out not actually easy). But compared to the complex control scheme of Wipeout? You've got to be joking.

And no I did not bring up the entire control scheme, but I did bring up every key thing you are using for both racers, which I know because unlike you I've spent a significant amount of time with both.

You didn't tho.

Do you know how unsophisticated that is? It's a TAS, tool-assisted speedrun. So the only way you can race without boosting/skipping is if you have a robot play the game for you?

My bad about that one. But the guy has dozens of tracks where he doesn't use that stuff, nice to see you ignored the other vid i posted so you can have your "got you" moment tho.

Wow.

I guess that's the conversation over.
I guess that's what you would like so you don't have to continue talking out of your ass lol. But it actually is i guess since it's 3am here and I'm going to sleep now. I like WipEout btw. Far more interesting aesthetics than F-Zero, but that's about it. Have a nice day/evening whatever.

FinalAres

You didn't tho.

My bad about that one. But the guy has dozens of tracks where he doesn't use that stuff, nice to see you ignored the other vid i posted so you can have your "got you" moment tho.
Honestly at this point, this is just embarrassing for you.

Agent X

Historically, I have had a much greater appeal for the Wipeout series over F-Zero. While i've had fun with the F-Zero games that I've played, they didn't captivate me the same way that Wipeout did.

That said, I've read some interesting comments such as the following:

WipEout is a better franchise than F-Zero and it's not even close.

HOWEVER

F-Zero GX is perfect. It's the only arcade racer I would ever put above WipEout HD/Fury for any reason.

WipEout is the better franchise

F-Zero prob has the best game overall tho (GX)

These quotes, along with some good comments from others such as Amir0x, Leondexter, and OmegaZero later in the thread, make me feel the urge to track down a copy of F-Zero GX. I'd like to give F-Zero GX some quality time, as I've never actually played that particular game. I don't know whether it'll top the Wipeout series for me, but I'd sure like to find out for myself.

I'll wrap up by saying that I am highly anticipating the triumphant return of Wipeout in just two weeks!

WipEout was video games, music, and graphic design all coming together to create a cohesive experience that is still unmatched imo.

I like both, but WipEout.

FinalAres

I was just do taken a back on the comment
It was a bit of an exaggerated comment. I said just arcady when I really meant more simplistic than Wipeout. I accept I had to dial that comment back.

I do take issue with being called a PlayStation fanboy by someone with an Iwata avatar though! Until 2 days ago I didn't have a PlayStation, and had been rocking pc and nintendo for 5 years!

I've loved what I played of GX back in the day, don't get me wrong. There's room for both. F-Zero clearly goes for a more upbeat, arcadey aesthetic, while WipEout is more 'technical'.

Wamb0wneD

Honestly at this point, this is just embarrassing for you.

How is me pointing out the way he quoted me and saying "my bad on that one" emberassing except for you wanting me to be emberassed to get some high ground in that "discussion" we had? And i said we had because you seem to not be interested in anything like that. And neither am I, too tired now.

Lol, and I assume you're also blown away by this compared to actual racing and moment-to-moment skill? Come on man.

No i'm not blown away by someone pressing forward. Maybe learn about snaking for example in F-Zero before you talk about moment-to-moment skill in racing games. Just because you never bothered with the deeper mechanics of the game doesn't mean they aren't there.

Momentum Throttle is a shit mechanic that belongs in the trash with all the shitty Melee tech.

That's when you let go of the accelerator? Nah, this is not even close to being as bad as L-canceling or even mk8 firehopping. You still need to manuever well your vehicle especially in turns and such. Even though it's slightly more optimal you don't need to do it at all times to succeed. Snaking is worse tbh since it actually breaks your controller/fingers like stupid melee techs do but even then you don't ever need to do it

Wipeout has great gameplay, it's nuanced, difficult to master and deep. F zero is just an arcadey, anti grav racer with bland tracks and no art style.

It was a bit of an exaggerated comment. I said just arcady when I really meant more simplistic than Wipeout. I accept I had to dial that comment back.

I do take issue with being called a PlayStation fanboy by someone with an Iwata avatar though! Until 2 days ago I didn't have a PlayStation, and had been rocking pc and nintendo for 5 years!

F-Zero is like baby's first AG racer. WipEout's aesthetic, music, lore, and gameplay are a lot more... Mature.

I've loved what I played of GX back in the day, don't get me wrong. There's room for both. F-Zero clearly goes for a more upbeat, arcadey aesthetic, while WipEout is more 'technical'.

Uh-huh.

Ploid 3.0

What a boring gif of Wipeout in the op. Looks like the first wipeout vs a modern Fzero. Wipeout HD should have at least provided a sea of easy to find gifs for it. I remember so many for it's OT, especially zone gifs.

wipeout364

I have played all the main games in both series and in my opinion wipeout is a far better experience. F zero GX was good gameplay wise but aesthetically was lame to me. This genre thrives on creating a whole environment which F zero fails for me.

I also feel like the air breaks in wipeout really add to the control scheme where F zero feels like you are moving on ice, the air breaks and feel of the wipeout ships feels like air resistance and drag are factors you have to think about. Pitch of the ship as you rise over elevation feels like it matters which I don't remeber in f zero ( I haven't played since the GameCube days except that stupid one in Nintendo land).
I would buy any game in either series that is released but wipeout is my favorite.

F-Zero has higher highs and fewer low points. But with that said, I still love the Wipeout series. The original Wipeout was the game that sold me on a PS1.

SephLuis

I love both series, but Wipeout HD hooked me like no other racing game ever. And yes, I have F-Zero GX (I just happen to suck at it).

Wipeout has more "floaty" controls for sure, but you can control this and you kinda need when you want to shave those seconds of a near perfect lap. Using two different air brakes to properly control the weight of your aircraft makes the racing sublime.

F-Zero is a lot closer to the ground in that sense, you are in perfect control of your craft at all times and you only got one button for air braking. Since you are close to the course, you need to consider even small bumps on the course because they will slow you down or the speed might send you flying where you do not want it.

I would say F-Zero is where you maintain control of your craft at all times and at impossible speeds. Wipeout you are trying to maintain control of your craft at all times at impossible speeds while physics are constantly reminding you of that their laws are absolute.

FinalAres

No i'm not blown away by someone pressing forward. Maybe learn about snaking and sequence skipping (like that's something easy to do) in F-Zero before you talk about moment-to-moment skill in racing games. Stuff like this tells you you never played that game.
Well let's talk Wipeout. Right and left air breaks, tracks with tight corners designed so you have to use them, not just boost over to skip hard corners. Strafing, boost placement, jump boosts too a la Mario kart. Then there's how you direct your craft, nose up or down. That's before you even bring in other players, weapons. That's all in the core game, that's what non speed runners have to master. Then in addition to that you have sequence skipping, for speed running.

Now are you really trying to tell me that has less depth than f zero?

Historically, I have had a much greater appeal for the Wipeout series over F-Zero. While i've had fun with the F-Zero games that I've played, they didn't captivate me the same way that Wipeout did.

That said, I've read some interesting comments such as the following:

These quotes, along with some good comments from others such as Amir0x, Leondexter, and OmegaZero later in the thread, make me feel the urge to track down a copy of F-Zero GX. I'd like to give F-Zero GX some quality time, as I've never actually played that particular game. I don't know whether it'll top the Wipeout series for me, but I'd sure like to find out for myself.

I'll wrap up by saying that I am highly anticipating the triumphant return of Wipeout in just two weeks!

Good luck man, it's one hell of a ride and a totally different beast than any Wipeout. Just try to play it on a CRT if you can (assuming you're not emulating), any input lag is gonna ruin your experience.

I recently had a short discussion with a friend who argued that Wipeout was always the better game.
I on the other hand disagreed real hard on that comment and said that in my eyes F-Zero is the better game. Even with no follow up to the godlike game that is F-Zero GX it still holds up a lot better than Wipeout, even though i love both of them to death.

So GAF. Lets settle this once and for all. Who is the real King ?

F-zero
ATcCwlF.gif

or
Wipeout
vyTPEmK.gif

You're comparing the GC release to one of the PS1 games. Doesn't seem very fair to me.

Wamb0wneD

Well let's talk Wipeout. Right and left air breaks, tracks with tight corners designed so you have to use them, not just boost over to skip hard corners. Strafing, boost placement, jump boosts too a la Mario kart. Then there's how you direct your craft, nose up or down. That's before you even bring in other players, weapons. That's all in the core game, that's what non speed runners have to master. Then in addition to that you have sequence skipping, for speed running.

Now are you really trying to tell me that has less depth than f zero?

First of all your first mistake is to assume i said the bolded. I just had something against the constant downplaying of F-Zero's mechanics, that's all. The only thing where I implied by vids F-Zero tops WipEout is speed and that was it before people came in with the "unsophisticated" crap.

Second:
-There's one more air break, yes, you're right.
-There are a lot of tight corners in F-Zero you can't skip by boosting. The only ones you can skip are by using the high ground that comes before them or some curve you have to ramp off in a very particular spot.
-Strafing is in both, no idea what you mean by boost placement since in F Zero you have to evaluate when to boost yourself, risking to get blown up. And comparing something to Mario Kart to make an argument for complexity is... bold to say the least.
- Yeah the up and down thing is only utilized in F Zero while in mid air.
- Other players as in npcs? F Zero has 29 of those.
- Weapons: Again, something that Mario Kart get's critizied for because it removes skill from competitive play. Why is this a good or complex thing in WipEout? I'd rather have the strafing and whirling attacks in F-Zero that you have to use good timing for and only are usable against opponents in your direct vicinity.
-And if we are comparing them now i might add that there's no snaking in WipEout, which is a huge reason why F-Zero can get so fast. Again, all other vids (that all didn't get quoted by the gotcha dude) I posted were done without the assist tool. And i could post more without too much sequence breaking but high skill snaking if i could be bothered, but it's not like that stuff seems to interest you so...

Will definetly go to sleep now.

horuhe

F-Zero by far! But I mean, a lot far. GX is the climax never made again. Hope, at least, Nintendo could port it to Switch.

FinalAres

First of all your first mistake is to assume i said the bolded. I just had something against the constant downplaying of F-Zero's mechanics, that's all. The only thing where I implied by vids F-Zero tops Wipeout is speed and that's it.

Second:
-There's one more air break, yes, you're right.
-There are a lot of tight corners in F-Zero you can't skip by boosting. The only ones you can skip are by using the high ground that comes before them or some curve you have to ramp off in a very particular spot.
-Strafing is in both, no idea what you mean by boost placement since in F Zero you have to evaluate when to boost yourself, risking to get blown up. And comparing something to Mario Kart to make an argument for complexity is... bold to say the least.
- Yeah the up and down thing is only utilized in F Zero while in mid air.
- Other players as in npcs? F Zero has 29 of those.
- Weapons: Again, something that Mario Kart get's critizied for because it removes skill from competitive play. Why is this a good or complex thing in WipEout? I'd rather have the strafing and whirling attacks in F-Zero that you have to use good timing for and only are usable against opponents in your direct vicinity.
-And if we are comparing them now i might add that there's no snaking in WipEout, which is a huge reason why F-Zero can get so fast. Again, all other vids (that all didn't get quoted by the gotcha dude) I posted were done without the assist tool. And i could post more without too much sequence breaking but high skill snaking if i could be bothered, but it's not like that stuff seems to interest you so...

Will definetly go to sleep now.
We were 100% never talking about speed and you know it, so don't try to change the discussion retroactively. In terms of speed f zero is faster than Wipeout. That is a fact, it's also neither a good or bad thing.

Everything else you've posted is grasping. Mario Kart criticised for weapons? Yeah except it's the highest rated racer this generation. Tight corners in F zero? Yes. But with Wipeout it's not just a case of braking, it's braking by balancing the two breaks which is way more than a well timed button press yes f zero has other players, but you're only racing them, not battling them. The other things I mentioned that were in both, I wasn't saying erte exclusive to Wipeout. I was just showing how complex it is.

This discussion has gone off course though. Complexity is not the only thing that makes a game good,and over complexity can ruin it. But I think we've reasonably established why that other guy said f zero was like babies first anti grav racer in comparison.

kyser73

WipEout. Getting hypersonic in Zone mode is simultaneously insanely hard but also amazingly relaxing if you get your flow on.

Top Bottom