• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okami HD confirmed for a 12/12 Western release. (PC, PS4, XB1; U$19.99)

xHiryu

what a time to pc game, we got Dragons Dogma, UMVC3, Bayonetta, Vanquish and etc., and now this! when i played okami back on my ps2 it was easily my favorite game of all time and i wonder if it holds up like i remember it. this shit is going to look magnificent in 4k and hopefully the framerate is unlocked, or at the very least 60 fps.

this news of this port brought a smile to my face, cant wait for the pre-order to go up.

dsk1210

Pick this up on release if it runs at 60fps, will wait for a sale if it's 30fps.

It's a great game but takes a long time to get started.

WestEgg

A friend on mine loves this game, and I really wanted to like it. I'm a huge Zelda fan. Maybe I just didn't get far enough in to where it picks up (I remember restoring the village, getting a lot of the art abilities, learning from the combat master who's face turns upside down, I imagine this is all basically the tutorial even if I know I put around 5 hours into the game). I just didn't really enjoy the combat that pops up pretty often, and the world was very pretty to look at, but didn't give me a desire to explore everything.

I'd like to give it another shot, and may pick it up for PC (or Switch...) but I just don't understand why everyone thinks of this as being similar to Zelda, and being as great as those games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wasn't it just the particular use of anti-aliasing that was considered 4K?

The confusion stems from the structure of Hexadrive's blog post. It starts off by explaining "super resolution" (~4K -> 1080p) then demonstrates various visual improvements with the help of screenshots taken with the mode enabled, but at the end it switches gears and shows what the game looks like at 1080p with 4x MSAA, which is the actual configuration of the final product.

I'm not even remotely familiar with Japanese, so I don't know how clear the blog post is on super resolution just being used for the sake of comparison, however it's definitely easy to get the wrong end of the stick if you don't know the language, especially considering this is the first image:

2012-11-01.png

SirNinja

The confusion stems from the structure of Hexadrive's blog post. It starts off by explaining "super resolution" (~4K -> 1080p) then demonstrates various visual improvements with the help of screenshots taken with the mode enabled, but at the end it switches gears and shows what the game looks like at 1080p with 4x MSAA, which is the actual configuration of the final product.

I'm not even remotely familiar with Japanese, so I don't know how clear the blog post is on super resolution just being used for the sake of comparison, however it's definitely easy to get the wrong end of the stick if you don't know the language, especially considering this is the first image:

2012-11-01.png

Ah, that completely threw me off. I thought the PS3 version was really running downsampled - certainly looks very antialiased and clean. At least with these versions we'll actually get real 4K!

mieumieu

Ah, that completely threw me off. I thought the PS3 version was really running downsampled - certainly looks very antialiased and clean. At least with these versions we'll actually get real 4K!

MSAA image is usually very clean already. Just some texture details and alpha test foliages could be worse than downsampling, but those are really not a big concern here in Okami.

I eagerly await what AA technique there will be in these 4K versions!

Dreadmoth

Anyone else think some of the screenshots released so far look like they were rendered at 1920x1080 and run through an upscaler?

2x2 dithering pattern on alpha textures / effects
"Wavy" edges / missed edges
Sharpening artifacts on high contrast edges

It'll be interesting to see how the released game works.
Having a scaling method of this quality running in real time would be pretty impressive (results aren't too far off waifu2x, which takes several seconds to upscale a similar image using cuDNN on a GTX 770).

Alphahawk

Oh man, I'm so conflicted. I played so much Okami back when it was first released, but I eventually got to a part where you had to do like this "simon" style game with an enemy, like they would show you where you had to tap it and then you had to hit that exact spot, and it was way too difficult. Like you had to be pixel perfect. So I want to play the game, but not if that's still in there.

Also am I the only one that had problems with that section, or was it a common complaint?

Lucreto

Oh man, I'm so conflicted. I played so much Okami back when it was first released, but I eventually got to a part where you had to do like this "simon" style game with an enemy, like they would show you where you had to tap it and then you had to hit that exact spot, and it was way too difficult. Like you had to be pixel perfect. So I want to play the game, but not if that's still in there.

Also am I the only one that had problems with that section, or was it a common complaint?

Which one did you have trouble on? There are 3 or 4 of these puzzles.

I ever heard of people complaining about these puzzles but they can be difficult. I certainly had trouble with them. The last one has about 10 spots to remember.

The best thing to do is record it on your phone and watch it back. The game gives you enough time to go through it slowly so record the video, pause the game, find point one in the video, pause video, unpause game and enter point one, pause the game again and locate point 2 etc.

Yeah, I get sad every time I watch the ending credit roll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE6070P_jyE

Okami just needs to fix the combat and it will be a really good game. It has everything else, in spades!

What's wrong with the combat?

I always thought it was pretty good (it controls really well), though a bit too easy. There's some hidden haunted places that offer a good challenge, I wish it was at that same level during the whole game. They could have given us difficulty options at least.

Kamiya made Devil May Cry and Bayonetta, he definitely knows his stuff in regards to combat.

I see no reason why this shouldn't run at 60fps on PS4 and Xbox One. If it doesn't, I'll buy on Steam then buy a physical copy for PS4 for the collection.

Alphahawk

Which one did you have trouble on? There are 3 or 4 of these puzzles.

I ever heard of people complaining about these puzzles but they can be difficult. I certainly had trouble with them. The last one has about 10 spots to remember.

The best thing to do is record it on your phone and watch it back. The game gives you enough time to go through it slowly so record the video, pause the game, find point one in the video, pause video, unpause game and enter point one, pause the game again and locate point 2 etc.

The first dungeon where you had to do that. I think I may of got to like the third or fourth one and then quit. The camera thing is a good suggestion, but I was playing in 2006 and that wasn't really feasable then.

I really hope for this version they update it so that you just have to get the general area, because while I adored the game that just was too impossible.

any chance it being cross-buy if you already have the PS3 HD version??

It would make very little sense from a business standpoint to do this.

Saikyo

I just hope they dont patch out the skip glitch of the last forced blockhead puzzle in
Oni Island?
, could only finish the game doing that.

Berordn

I just hope they dont patch out the skip glitch of the last forced blockhead puzzle in
Oni Island?
, could only finish the game doing that.

Shouldn't it be easier than ever now that every platform actually supports screenshots?

Saikyo

Shouldn't it be easier than ever now that every platform actually supports screenshots?

pausing and doing the puzzle looking at a screenshot is more effort than simply destroying some pots and using your ink powers at a tiny portion of the screen.

Lucreto

The first dungeon where you had to do that. I think I may of got to like the third or fourth one and then quit. The camera thing is a good suggestion, but I was playing in 2006 and that wasn't really feasable then.

I really hope for this version they update it so that you just have to get the general area, because while I adored the game that just was too impossible

It definitely easier now but even back them phone had camera's. I used the camera back then, I just paused, took a photo, unpaused waited for the next dot and paused again and took a photo.

I really wish my ps3 save would carry over. ;_;

And I hope trophies are cross compatible. I don't want a redundant Okami trophy listing appearing next to my one and only Platinum.

sotojuan

Might as well ask this now - if you preorder a game through Best Buy GCU can you pick it up day of in the store or is it through mail only like Amazon Prime? Amazon Prime uses UPS and it gets to my house at 8pm :( I'd rather go to Best Buy when it opens day of release.

Might as well ask this now - if you preorder a game through Best Buy GCU can you pick it up day of in the store or is it through mail only like Amazon Prime? Amazon Prime uses UPS and it gets to my house at 8pm :( I'd rather go to Best Buy when it opens day of release.
It'll have a option at checkout, shipping or in-store pickup when available.

Locke562

I really want this on console but I'll probably end up buying it on PC so I can play it in the future in the event my PS4 or whatever breaks.

Top Bottom