• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okcupid is not that bad. I already got a date!

Status
Not open for further replies.

potam

Banned
I just found the most bizarre short story on some girl's profile:

How dating me will go for you:

I will see you around the city once. I'll be your server, or you'll be my bartender. I'll ask for a Sailor ginger, and that will surprise you. I'll tell you the best thing on our menu is the papaya salad. You won't order it. You might catch me smiling with my lips only slightly separated. You'll bury that image, and later remember it as an invitation. It was just a lazy smile, and that's my fault.

I'll see you again, out at a bar this time, and we'll discover we have mutual friends. We'll share a moment of appreciation for an obscure one-season 90s TV show that I refer to. Don't fall for that; it's how I make you remember me. I'm not trying to impress you. We'll exchange numbers and begin to text a couple times a day. You'll friend me on Facebook, and I won't immediately recognize this cuter version of you. We'll make plans to hang out. We'll use the phrase "hang out." You'll hear "go on a date."
I'll flirt with you and let you pay, because—hell, come on. I'll consider my level of interest in you. You're not ugly. You're not dumb. You're not boring. My level of interest is three. I'll drink at lunch, and exaggerate my buzz; maybe then you'll back away. You won't. I'll look for every opportunity to discuss my cons: I'm working on a Biology degree and have no plan for it; I have daddy issues that keep me from getting too close to men. It will become clear that you actually like the dark and stormy type. You'll admire that I embrace my flaws.

Our text messages will change. Yours to me will become sexier. Mine to you will become more distant. I'll never tell you that you're cute, that I miss you, that I wished you were with me. I'll ask how your day was and what you think of Nirvana to argue how I don't like them. You'll ask what I'm wearing and if I want to come cuddle. I'll always be too busy. You won't admit that means I'm not interested.

We'll hang out again. You'll have made an excuse the day of, one that means you can't make it to lunch. You will have already tricked me into admitting I have no evening plans. We'll go to dinner. I will wear jeans. You will wear slacks. You will flaunt your knowledge of wine. I'll feign intrigue, because the truth is I'll drink any of it. I'll argue with you about politics while secretly agreeing with you. I'll decide from my inability to deter you that all you want is a lay. I'll go home with you.
We'll make out on your couch. You'll put your hand down my pants. I'll let you. I'll touch you on top of your clothes until you're the one to take them off. You'll lay me down and try to take it further. I'll say I have the spins and need to go to sleep.

I'll start to ignore two out of three of your texts. My messages will become shorter. I'll never initiate the conversation. You'll ask if I'm angry at you. I will be angry, but it's not rational—I just am. So I'll tell you we should just be friends. What I'll mean by this is I'll give you a hug when I run into you at bars. What I mean by that is I'll hug you if you go for it. Otherwise I'll smile from across the bar.

still gave her 4 stars

Tsukumo

I just found the most bizarre short story on some girl's profile:

How dating me will go for you:

I will see you around the city once. I'll be your server, or you'll be my bartender. I'll ask for a Sailor ginger, and that will surprise you. I'll tell you the best thing on our menu is the papaya salad. You won't order it. You might catch me smiling with my lips only slightly separated. You'll bury that image, and later remember it as an invitation. It was just a lazy smile, and that's my fault.

I'll see you again, out at a bar this time, and we'll discover we have mutual friends. We'll share a moment of appreciation for an obscure one-season 90s TV show that I refer to. Don't fall for that; it's how I make you remember me. I'm not trying to impress you. We'll exchange numbers and begin to text a couple times a day. You'll friend me on Facebook, and I won't immediately recognize this cuter version of you. We'll make plans to hang out. We'll use the phrase "hang out." You'll hear "go on a date."
I'll flirt with you and let you pay, because—hell, come on. I'll consider my level of interest in you. You're not ugly. You're not dumb. You're not boring. My level of interest is three. I'll drink at lunch, and exaggerate my buzz; maybe then you'll back away. You won't. I'll look for every opportunity to discuss my cons: I'm working on a Biology degree and have no plan for it; I have daddy issues that keep me from getting too close to men. It will become clear that you actually like the dark and stormy type. You'll admire that I embrace my flaws.

Our text messages will change. Yours to me will become sexier. Mine to you will become more distant. I'll never tell you that you're cute, that I miss you, that I wished you were with me. I'll ask how your day was and what you think of Nirvana to argue how I don't like them. You'll ask what I'm wearing and if I want to come cuddle. I'll always be too busy. You won't admit that means I'm not interested.

We'll hang out again. You'll have made an excuse the day of, one that means you can't make it to lunch. You will have already tricked me into admitting I have no evening plans. We'll go to dinner. I will wear jeans. You will wear slacks. You will flaunt your knowledge of wine. I'll feign intrigue, because the truth is I'll drink any of it. I'll argue with you about politics while secretly agreeing with you. I'll decide from my inability to deter you that all you want is a lay. I'll go home with you.
We'll make out on your couch. You'll put your hand down my pants. I'll let you. I'll touch you on top of your clothes until you're the one to take them off. You'll lay me down and try to take it further. I'll say I have the spins and need to go to sleep.

I'll start to ignore two out of three of your texts. My messages will become shorter. I'll never initiate the conversation. You'll ask if I'm angry at you. I will be angry, but it's not rational—I just am. So I'll tell you we should just be friends. What I'll mean by this is I'll give you a hug when I run into you at bars. What I mean by that is I'll hug you if you go for it. Otherwise I'll smile from across the bar.

still gave her 4 stars

Too well written to be from the mind of someone who would need to be messing with guys' heads on a dating site. I think it's more likely a guy put this profile together out of revenge for the girl in the pic.
This story should be on the OP though: a bit cynic, but teaches a few good lessons.

Piers

Gave a shot at Match.com for about two years - and closed the account. It's a nice idea, and of course there are great successes with it, it's just not for me. I followed advice and guides to a T - but I guess it ultimately comes down to how you look in the profile pics.

Add to the fact that a lot of women get their inboxes flooded very quickly, yikes. Too much competition to be bothered with.

potam

Banned
Too well written to be from the mind of someone who would need to be messing with guys' heads on a dating site. I think it's more likely a guy put this profile together out of revenge for the girl in the pic.
This story should be on the OP though: a bit cynic, but teaches a few good lessons.

Nah the rest of her profile was equally...out there. Not in some ultra-weird way, but in a "hey, look at how creative and witty I am!" way.

I have been on OKCupid since 2009. I've had no luck until about 2012 (or so I thought it was luck), where there were girls that started to talk to me, and thought that things would be grand as we start to get to know each other slowly. All of them had one thing in common: They are all flakey, and would go on to ignore my messages, and later state that they were "Seeing Someone". I'm still not giving up though, as I hope to find the right person someday. I'm sure it's only in my area, but I wish anyone who uses OKCupid the best of luck finding someone.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I saw it using quickmatch. I'll scroll through and see if I can find it again.

edit: ugh why is there no filter by Asian option :(

There is an ethnicity filter, but I believe it's only for paying members

A woman messaged me first for the first time today. She's 12 years older than me, has only one pic, left a ton of information blank, and here message was: hey, how are u????

hooray
: (

Symphonia

Banned
So, I thought it was going really well with this one girl, we'd been messaging back and forth all day and I was quite enjoying it, but it turns out she hadn't read my profile, and only judged based on looks, which I guess is something of a compliment as she stuck around to talk to me. Her last message to me was something along the lines of she only just read my profile and she can't believe how arrogant I am, and she can't be involved with someone who's ego is bigger than they are.

Welp, kinda cut deep, that bothered me a lot more it should've done.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
So, I thought it was going really well with this one girl, we'd been messaging back and forth all day and I was quite enjoying it, but it turns out she hadn't read my profile, and only judged based on looks, which I guess is something of a compliment as she stuck around to talk to me. Her last message to me was something along the lines of she only just read my profile and she can't believe how arrogant I am, and she can't be involved with someone who's ego is bigger than they are.

Well yeah, you have a big ego. See how it feels for the rest of us! Gee Cyanide, way to go showing confidence.

What do you think she could possibly be referring to?

Im pretty sure this was the shit test mate and you failed. I can't be 100% without seeing all the messages but if I am right, message back acting like her message hasn't phased you at all.

I have been on OKCupid since 2009. I've had no luck until about 2012 (or so I thought it was luck), where there were girls that started to talk to me, and thought that things would be grand as we start to get to know each other slowly. All of them had one thing in common: They are all flakey, and would go on to ignore my messages, and later state that they were "Seeing Someone". I'm still not giving up though, as I hope to find the right person someday. I'm sure it's only in my area, but I wish anyone who uses OKCupid the best of luck finding someone.

"im sure its only in my area", are you referring to women only being flakey in your area? They are flakey everywhere, especially girls who use dating sites. They have a lot of options and why I always maintain dating sites should only be used as a side to meeting women in the real world. Online it is very, very hard to see a connection and why it can all feel 'disposable'. When you meet a girl in the real world, if it all goes well she will be thinking of you, the same can't be said for online.

This girl and I have been sending like 20 messages back and forth and she's still like "omg I wanna talk more before we meet". Is meeting in person a bigger deal than I think it is or is she just out there? Because my line of thinking is if you've exchanged 20 messages for a week+ you should probably want to meet.

This girl and I have been sending like 20 messages back and forth and she's still like "omg I wanna talk more before we meet". Is meeting in person a bigger deal than I think it is or is she just out there? Because my line of thinking is if you've exchanged 20 messages for a week+ you should probably want to meet.

It's different for everyone. For me, and I would guess most men on the site, that would be more than enough to warrant a meeting. The women, on the other hand, seem to be less predictable. What I do now is compare the questions that we've both answered. There's one that asks if you would be willing to date someone from the site and another that asks how long you'd have to talk to someone online before meeting.

Looking at those should give you an idea of how long it'll take before she'll be ready to meet. Have you asked her if she wants to Skype or text? Maybe that would help move things along faster.

Symphonia

Banned
Well yeah, you have a big ego. See how it feels for the rest of us! Gee Cyanide, way to go showing confidence.

What do you think she could possibly be referring to?
She's quite obviously referring to my ego but if you had half a braincell, then a quick read through my profile will reveal that I'm quite obviously joking - in no shape or form am I that egotistical. Anyway, it's her loss.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
She's quite obviously referring to my ego but if you had half a braincell, then a quick read through my profile will reveal that I'm quite obviously joking - in no shape or form am I that egotistical. Anyway, it's her loss.
It is. I was asking if there was something in particular might have given her that impression.

I've had a few like this myself, I kind of just stopped messaging them after a while and moved onto someone else who was more receptive towards meeting. Longest conversation I had without meeting was, thirty something messages?

Girl was too hesitant so one day I stopped xD.

megamerican

I wouldn't put too much faith in that meetup ever happening. Usually if you don't have something at least tentatively lined up in the first week it's pretty rare that it actually happens, at least in my experience. She also put you in an awkward position because if you ask again it could be seen as being pushy.

Don't take it personally. Plenty of women on there are more interested in talking / flirting online than they are of actually meeting up.

Symphonia

Banned
It's pretty obvious that you're joking in your profile. I don't see how she didn't pick up on that unless she stopped reading after the first paragraph.
I thought it was more than obvious that I wasn't being serious. It's one thing to exert confidence but my profile takes it to a whole new level - so much so that it can't be serious. Either way, she sent me a text earlier today apologising for wasting my time but she really can't be with someone so 'arrogant' as me. Her loss.

I am moving to a new city soon and so thought I would give OKC a try in the hopes I would be able to meet people through it and I have a couple of questions:

1) In a few situations I have come across people that I want to go out with, have drinks with, be friends with and that's it. How do people go about communicating an interest in friendship but nothing more? I know its wrong but there are some people who seem like they would be great company but just wouldn't be great to date. I wouldn't be interested in them in any romantic or sexual way. Has anyone made 'friends' through OKC?

2) I am noticing that I get a fair few visitors but no messages, is this usual? Should I be disappointed by the lack of messages or happy to at least be getting visitors? Whats average for OKC?

potam

Banned
I'm bored and sending out a bunch of messages with shitty jokes. But now I'm wondering whether or not people will be able to tell that they're intentionally shitty jokes, or if I just look socially inept.

I'm bored and sending out a bunch of messages with shitty jokes. But now I'm wondering whether or not people will be able to tell that they're intentionally shitty jokes, or if I just look socially inept.
It depends on your profile. I've browsed dudes with a girl before, and it's very, very easy for guys to try to be funny and come off really corny and creepy because we generally have bad photos and bad profiles that go with it. But if you do it well, you're in.

Just got out of a 2 year relationship and decided to try online dating again.

Holy shit. Went out on a "date" with someone from okcupid. 5'5", red head, green eyes, profile saying she was fit, liked yoga. Naturally I wanted to know her better. So I tell her to meet me at this place where we can hang out for a bit and get some cheap pitchers, I get there earlier because I'm hungry, so I ate a sandwich and ordered a bud light pitcher. I start drinking while waiting for her and all of a sudden she comes to meet me. Bitch must have weighed at least 200lbs and I'm trying to be nice.

I think to myself wtf is this shit, but sure, let's talk, maybe she's a fun fat girl to hang around with and tell jokes to. 10 minutes into the date, she starts complaining about the place and how it's cheap (local little place, it is pretty cheap, but she knew we were going there as I couldn't go anywhere because I'm in a boot on my right leg and can't drive). The conversation gets really stale and I already don't want to share my beer with her. She asks me why I'm on okc and, since I don't give a shit anymore about her, I tell her I'm on okc because I just broke up and I want to take my mind of my ex. She's in shock, "OMG". Shaking her head and complaining about how awful the date is, I let her know that we won't work out and she shouldn't lie to people on her profile about being fat.

This is actually my 2nd date off okc, yesterday I had a date with someone that was just as lame, but at least kinda looked like her picture. I couldn't stop staring at her chin though, she didn't have a double chin, but she had one of those fat ones. She did not have that chin in her pictures, so either photoshop or real old pics.

Ever since my break up before nye, 2 dates, 2 let downs :(

Tsukumo

Just got out of a 2 year relationship and decided to try online dating again.

Holy shit. Went out on a "date" with someone from okcupid. 5'5", red head, green eyes, profile saying she was fit, liked yoga. Naturally I wanted to know her better. So I tell her to meet me at this place where we can hang out for a bit and get some cheap pitchers, I get there earlier because I'm hungry, so I ate a sandwich and ordered a bud light pitcher. I start drinking while waiting for her and all of a sudden she comes to meet me. Bitch must have weighed at least 200lbs and I'm trying to be nice.

I hope you get banned.

No. Because you called her a bitch and continued with rude commentary.

She was a bitch, so what? She wasn't a bitch because she was fat. She was a bitch because she was a bitch. She just happened to be a fat bitch. She's probably telling people I'm a jerk now and I couldn't care less. You guys are too sensitive over this shit.

So some dude on Reddit posed as a woman on OKC for two hours to see what the other side was like, got creeped out and quit:

At first I thought it was fun, I thought it was weird but maybe I would mess with them or something and freak them out and tell them I was a guy or something, but as more and more messages came (either replies or new ones I had about 10 different guys message me within 2 hours) the nature of them continued to get more and more irritating. Guys were full-on spamming my inbox with multiple messages before I could reply to even one asking why I wasn't responding and what was wrong. Guys would become hostile when I told them I wasn't interested in NSA sex, or guys that had started normal and nice quickly turned the conversation into something explicitly sexual in nature. Seemingly nice dudes in quite esteemed careers asking to hook up in 24 hours and sending them naked pics of myself despite multiple times telling them that I didn't want to.

Full article: http://jezebel.com/man-poses-as-woman-on-online-dating-site-barely-lasts-1500707724

Also, lol:

ku-medium.jpg

NateDrake

She was a bitch, so what? She wasn't a bitch because she was fat. She was a bitch because she was a bitch. She just happened to be a fat bitch. She's probably telling people I'm a jerk now and I couldn't care less. You guys are too sensitive over this shit.

Except you didn't call her a bitch because of the way she was acting or anything of the sort. You said "Bitch must have weighed at least 200lbs and I'm trying to be nice."

Symphonia

Banned
So I'm conducting a little social experiment and set up a fake profile. Good lord, are us men really that creepy? 112 likes in under half-hour and I woke up to 55 messages this morning. No wonder it's so hard to find a woman on OKCupid.

I hope you get banned.
Ask and ye shall receive apparently, haha.

Anyway, I'm going to take a break from actively messaging women while I try to get myself into better shape. It's been a year since I started taking initiative to try to talk to people but I don't have much to show for it. I bought an exercise bike and I've been on it almost every day for over a month. It's pretty awesome actually. I definitely have more energy during the day now. I guess I'll try again after I drop some weight.

How often do you guys get visitors and messages from women? I am about to get into okcupid just to put myself In more positions to meet women. Do you guys find women won't message you unless you message them first? If women are messaging you often, how good looking are you? I do plan on messaging women first, I am just curious how often it happens the other way around.

stn

How often do you guys get visitors and messages from women? I am about to get into okcupid just to put myself In more positions to meet women. Do you guys find women won't message you unless you message them first? If women are messaging you often, how good looking are you? I do plan on messaging women first, I am just curious how often it happens the other way around.
My own experience, take it with a grain of salt.

-I get many visitors. At one point on OKC I used to get 150 a week, it died down considerably afterwards. Now I get 50-100. I think its because I no longer update my profile, hence I never "appear on top". I get many views on POF. How many of those are messages? Not too many. There are days where I'll get 5 messages, then zero the next day or two. I would say I probably average 2 messages a day.

-I have found that many women WILL message first, but there are quite a few that won't make a move. Those would be the ones that keep viewing your profile and have an obvious interest, just have too much pride.

-How do I look? Good question. Most people have told me that I look like an 8.5 with potential for 9+ (its because I have mild acne and I'm skinny). I personally think I'm a 7. I'm also not photogenic AT ALL, online dating sucks for me in that regard.

But really, make the profile regardless. Don't adopt the mindset that you have to look a certain level to gain attention there. You could see yourself as a 2/10...but some girl on there may love the shit out of your pic. Try and see where it goes.

My own experience, take it with a grain of salt.

-I get many visitors. At one point on OKC I used to get 150 a week, it died down considerably afterwards. Now I get 50-100. I think its because I no longer update my profile, hence I never "appear on top". I get many views on POF. How many of those are messages? Not too many. There are days where I'll get 5 messages, then zero the next day or two. I would say I probably average 2 messages a day.

-I have found that many women WILL message first, but there are quite a few that won't make a move. Those would be the ones that keep viewing your profile and have an obvious interest, just have too much pride.

-How do I look? Good question. Most people have told me that I look like an 8.5 with potential for 9+ (its because I have mild acne and I'm skinny). I personally think I'm a 7. I'm also not photogenic AT ALL, online dating sucks for me in that regard.

But really, make the profile regardless. Don't adopt the mindset that you have to look a certain level to gain attention there. You could see yourself as a 2/10...but some girl on there may love the shit out of your pic. Try and see where it goes.

Great advice man, thanks. Do any of you guys that have had success mind linking me to your profiles so I can get some ideas?

I signed up and answered some questions and put a picture up, haven't filled out the profile yet, but I will probably do that tonight. It says (3) people like me, find out who by clicking here but I have to be a paid member. Are those people that visited my profile, or are they people rating with stars in the quick match?

freshair

Great advice man, thanks. Do any of you guys that have had success mind linking me to your profiles so I can get some ideas?

I signed up and answered some questions and put a picture up, haven't filled out the profile yet, but I will probably do that tonight. It says (3) people like me, find out who by clicking here but I have to be a paid member. Are those people that visited my profile, or are they people rating with stars in the quick match?

It's a quickmatch like and it's 4 or greater

megamerican

If you are starting out I would probably use POF over OKC. A lot less of the features are hidden behind paywalls. There also isn't that gimmick shit about percentage matches and how often people reply. It's also less profile focused than OKC.

In my experience the response rate is also higher on POF. The one thing OKC has is that the women are more attractive on average, I think it just pushes the attractive people to the top though.

Servbot24

Banned
girl liked my profile and i have gotten 3 replies from her so far. she's one of the hotter girls to message me so far. really wish i could tell when to ask someone out though. :/

Majestad

Banned
girl liked my profile and i have gotten 3 replies from her so far. she's one of the hotter girls to message me so far. really wish i could tell when to ask someone out though. :/

After you have talked to her for a while. Don't rush shit, and also don't make her lose interest on you. Some people say ask her for a date after 5 messages, but that's gonna backfire on you 90% of the time.

Servbot24

Banned
Well I gave her my number with the ol' "it's easier than okcupid" line, and she said she doesn't give her number out that early. Hopefully she keeps messaging though.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
After you have talked to her for a while. Don't rush shit, and also don't make her lose interest on you. Some people say ask her for a date after 5 messages, but that's gonna backfire on you 90% of the time.

5 messages? Damn that's quick. I would get scared off if someone asked to meet after that little time

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
So far 7-9 messages has been my minimum so far on this site. (before I ask them out) I question whether it's a time-consuming approach or not, as each response gets so long it takes me 30-minutes to write up a response!

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
So far 7-9 messages has been my minimum so far on this site. (before I ask them out) I question whether it's a time-consuming approach or not, as each response gets so long it takes me 30-minutes to write up a response!

I reckon it took 2 days for my now bf to give me his number. We'd sent probably 100 messages back and forth by that stage on okc and he decided we should take it further. I remember tipsily texting him several hours later. Inseparable since.

I'll have to reactivate my account to get a copy of those messages as a keepsake :)

Edit: Balls, top of the page.

Servbot24

Banned
5 messages? Damn that's quick. I would get scared off if someone asked to meet after that little time

I've done this a couple times before and they were happy to meet up. Really just depends on the person you're talking to. Since you never really know you just have to give it a try at some random point if you don't think it will come up in the conversation naturally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom