• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old school gaming habits you still hold

Hey GAF. What old school gaming habits do you still have? I for starters still don't engage much with achievement/trophy hunting. Still don't get the obsession with platinuming stuff. It sounds like a way to get absorbed in a different task besides...enjoying the game? Another one is, I still do not buy into online subscription services. I still think its ridiculous that something as basic as online multiplayer is locked behind a paywall, and its getting worse with other features that make players think to get the most out of their console they need to subscribe.

So what say you GAF, do you still have any old school gaming habits?

When playing Uncharted: Drakes Fortune I would sometimes only slightly push the analog stick forward because I found it fascinating that you could walk instead of jog. Pretty sure that game started my habit of doing that. But ever since I do it in nearly every game that allows it. Mostly to take in the scenery or make the characters appear like more realistic humans, because humans walk everywhere!

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I for starters still don't engage much with achievement/trophy hunting. Still don't get the obsession with platinuming stuff.
Doing challenges just to unlock an "achievable" and tying this into your online profile in some way is ridiculous, I absolutely hate the concept.

I'll complete challenges if they unlock something in the game's world but unlocking a badge on some stupid profile outside of the game goes against all the reasons to play.

digdug2

I like games with so-called 'NES difficulty'.

The FromSoft games for some reason give me such nostalgia. Rygar on the NES was one of the first exploration-based games that I had ever played back in 1989, and when I was teleported to Crumbling Farum Azula, it felt like the first time that I found the sky castle (pictured in my avatar).

Last edited:

tylrdiablos

I'm never happy when it comes to waterfalls in games.
Scenario A: Your game has a waterfall and there's nothing behind it.
My reaction: "This is bullshit, what kind of waterfall doesn't have something hidden behind it?!"

Scenario B: Your game has a waterfall and there is something behind it.
My reaction: "Tsk , bit unoriginal!"

Last edited:

Tg89

Not preordering games.
Ironically enough I think this was something that, sometimes, was more necessary back in the day if anything. Like there were definitely times during the SNES/N64 eras where stores did not get enough shipments of games...especially niche ones. Also you got some good shit occasionally, like posters, or even better - Zelda Collection for GameCube when preordering WW.

It was really the 360 era when stock was never an issue, and bonuses started to suck, that the reason to preorder was no longer there.

Gorgon

As someone who was a PC player exclusively for decades and who's first console was a PS3, I:

- Don't care a fuck about Trophies

- Turn off controller vibration

- Turn off adaptive triggers, motion sensing, built-in controller speaker, etc

- If given the option, I turn off QTEs

- I have to use as much aim-assist as possible because I suck at shooters with a controller

🤷‍♂️

Drizzlehell

Banned
Never using powerful items because "I'd better save them for later." And then I finish the game and end up never using them, lol.

Same with potions and buff spells, I guess. I literally never use any kind of potions or spells unless it's something that heals me or refills my mana. I'm always too lazy to figure out what these other potions do and plan a strategy on how to use them. I prefer a simpler approach of walking dick-first into a fight and chug healing items until there's nothing left to hit with a sword.

Last edited:

Gorgon

Never using powerful items because "I'd better save them for later." And then I finish the game and end up never using them, lol.

Same with potions and buff spells, I guess. I literally never use any kind of potions or spells unless it's something that heals me or refills my mana. I'm always too lazy to figure out what these other potions do and plan a strategy on how to use them. I prefer a simpler approach of walking dick-first into a fight and chug healing items until there's nothing left to hit with a sword.

So true.

If I die stupidly I hit the cat
If I die magnificently I hit the wife
mr-bison-street-fighter.gif

So guilty of this. Using the bare bottom scraps constantly because "I'll use that later in the game" or "at a tough boss". End up with all the stat plus apples in a Wild ARMs game at the end.. and still not using them. Lol

It has taken me years but I'll finally use some elixers here and there in FF battles from time to time now.

SeraphJan

Play very carefully (such as conserve ammo, conserve skill point, observe environment, manual save, learn enemy pattern patiently), habits that were once required to finish a video game at all for games released prior to 2000s

A habit that was rarely rewarded by modern game save a few (such as Souls or RE)

Last edited:

vanillaFace

Neo Member
Preach it, invert Y for life.
I was inverted for life too, started on PC flight sims with a joystick in the early 90's (Falcon 3.0, Mig-29 Spectrum Holobyte). My kids play normal (not-inverted), and because I got tired of having to have to switch to inverted every time they get stuck somewhere and need my help, I just forced myself to get used to vanilla (non-inverted), and now I can't go back to inverted. Weird, right?

Playing defensively and slowly/deliberately, thanks to games like Castlevania on the NES. I've been seeing the combo videos for FF 16 but when I played the demo I relied 95% on the dodge followed by charge attack. I only do a flurry when the enemy has been downed.

It's also why I go for the greatsword or giant hammer builds in RPGs. I'd rather confidently swing once and do a ton of damage than do a combo and risk a counter attack in the middle of it.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I still expect battles in JRPGs to be 95% beatable by just spamming physical attacks and healing when needed. No wonder I suck so hard at them.

I'm never happy when it comes to waterfalls in games.
Scenario A: Your game has a waterfall and there's nothing behind it.
My reaction: "This is bullshit, what kind of waterfall doesn't have something hidden behind it?!"

Scenario B: Your game has a waterfall and there is behind it.
My reaction: "Tsk , bit unoriginal!"
bsten3rpc4z41.jpg

I was inverted for life too, started on PC flight sims with a joystick in the early 90's (Falcon 3.0, Mig-29 Spectrum Holobyte). My kids play normal (not-inverted), and because I got tired of having to have to switch to inverted every time they get stuck somewhere and need my help, I just forced myself to get used to vanilla (non-inverted), and now I can't go back to inverted. Weird, right?
I can’t go back to inverted.
I played It Takes Two with my friend and she used inverted for both X and Y. In the few instances when she just couldn’t do something and passed her controller to me, it felt like my brain was physically tying itself into knots.

Top Bottom