• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old school gaming habits you still hold

Soodanim

for 1st person games, inverted Y makes the most logical sense.
for 3rd person games, double inverted makes the most logical sense.

in first person you look up and down through your character leaning his kneck back and forth. inverted Y axis emulates that perfectly.

in third person you are controlling a camera that's flying around your character. if you have both axes inverted that translates correctly to how the camera flies around your character.

this is why almost every single game in the 90s and early 2000s had inverted Y for first person, and inverted X+Y in third person.
this changed due to PC and console games becoming closer in nature and having more direct 1 to 1 ports of each other's games.
and on a mouse playing inverted was never popular and also makes less sense than on a stick.

and I'm saying all of this as someone who doesn't play inverted anymore... it still makes more logical sense...
just look at how you're moving your controller when you use Gyro aiming ;)
I used to use inverted too, but I now think even if you can explain it it's unnecessary steps that complicate things. When you tilt your head, there's no conscious "I will contract this muscle and it will pull the back of my head and I will look up", you just look up.

I've always hated inverted X in 3rd person. I get it, but to me it's not intuitive. Most games aren't Mario 64 where you can see Lakitu, the camera is just the viewpoint of the player.

Ultimately we're obviously discussing something entirely subjective, and it's entirely valid to see sticks as either a push or a pull system. I personally see them in an aiming context as a stand in for a mouse, and as such stick with standard X/Y inputs.

Gyro is an interesting one, it depends on how you think of the controller moving. If you tilt to look up, the top of the controller is moving up but the bottom is moving down. I'm glad you brought that up, I've never thought about it before.

Soodanim

It's still pitch up / pitch down, regardless of which thumb you're using.
It's controlling a plane, that's different to standard viewing controls because you're controlling a machine by stick so it serves a slightly different purpose, same with how it rolls on left stick instead of moving left/right. Isn't that how it is by default in, say, GTA5? Standard everything but plane inverts Y? That would suggest it's commonly understood to be exception.

Banned
Moving the pointer up to look/aim up and down to look/aim down?
Left to look/aim left and right to look/aim right?
Sounds pretty non-inverted to me and my brain. Screw “logic” here. I don’t see it as if I’m moving a traditional camera.

if you look up with gyro aiming, you are tilting the controller the exact way you tilt an inverted stick.

and like I said I also play un-inverted, but inverted indeed makes more sense

calistan

It's controlling a plane, that's different to standard viewing controls because you're controlling a machine by stick so it serves a slightly different purpose, same with how it rolls on left stick instead of moving left/right. Isn't that how it is by default in, say, GTA5? Standard everything but plane inverts Y? That would suggest it's commonly understood to be exception.
It's commonly understood that there are a lot of very wrong people in the world.

I have very few times in my life played any game over an hour at a time.
CYdm.gif

spons

Gold Member
I always jump into openings if it leads to another area or loading screen like in Mega Man, but also the 3D Fallout games when opening doors.

Johnny2Bad

Talking to the game:
Saying "Take that asshole!" when beating a boss.
Yelling "FUCK YOU!!!" when dying.
Telling AI drivers to fuck off when they hit me.

Turning the controller like a steering wheel when driving.

RDR2: Looting every body even though I have more money than I can possibly spend.
Buying stuff instead of crafting. (I hate crafting).

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Trying to grab loot that automatically flies into your inventory once you're in range of it.

Always trying to press Start despite Start having fucked well off by now.

Similarly, waiting at the title screen for an intro video that never comes.

Obsessive compulsive manual saving.

Hudo

If I play I game, I only do that. No podcasts, no youtube or something on the second monitor. If I play a game, that's what I am doing exclusively.

lachesis

Park command before turning off my pc.

(jk)

Seriously -
  • I save, save, save - but only up to 2-3 of saves throughout a playthru.
  • I keep the save before ending, just in case if I want to re-visit the ending again, and leave a clear data on a separate slot.
  • I tend to max out all the recovery items to the max amount if game allows me to do so... and never use them. (only use the full recovery points in dungeons, which many JRPGs tend to have)
  • If I have to use some recovery items - I use the least effective/cheap ones first and go up if they run out.
  • I run the game to see if t here's a hidden sequence of demo/animations after title screen pops up.

Top Bottom