• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OlliOlli |OT| Tony Hawks meets Hotline Miami

tusken77

hurzelein

Oh god. Please don't tell me that was the big update we were supposed to be excited about.

What did you expect? Difficult bug fix and leaderboards, not a minor thing for such a tiny studio. People..
Only problem what I have that this is going to be released month from now? That IS a little bit disaapointing. Let's hope early summer does mean an earlier date.

MisterM

I can't get past Neon City 2, I get past the first long line of bollards but then usually get caught out by the first set of "geometric shapes of death".

Anyone got any tips for getting past that section?

Number45

I can't get past Neon City 2, I get past the first long line of bollards but then usually get caught out by the first set of "geometric shapes of death".

Anyone got any tips for getting past that section?
Is it just that you can't make the jump? You'll need to keep your speed up (by landing properly, at least) and time the leap well. It's been a while, but I seem to recall getting snagged on something similar and the solution was to make sure I carried enough speed into that section.

Snowballo

I need to take the last trophy, Technical Master, but I don't get how.

First of all: can I see the tricks I have not performed yet? I guess I can't

Anyway I've read about the 4 variants of every simple trick:

Originally Posted by v50pL1 View Post
In game 120+ tricks!!! 4 different stance! Normal, switch ( do a 180 and make a trick ), nollie ( hold R+L and make a trick ) and fakie ( do a 180, hold R+L and make a trick ). All tricks need to make in 4 different stance. I hope that i helped.

Let's take an example

1YJ3ih

Would you explain the four variants of one or two of these tricks please?
I mean, NORMAL is the simple trick as in the picture but what about all the others?

Thanks so much.

Filaipus

Banned
Not Hotline Miami at all, more like bit trip runner + canabalt (really looks like it).
BUt seems like a really cool game.

@edit

Wow, this topic is old.

smuf

I'm stuck on one of the challenges on Base 3 Pro. "Pull a Bigspin Heel to Nosegrind" I manage to consistently nail a 180 Bigspin Heel to Nosegrind but it doesn't register as successful. Any pointers?

AEREC

Is it patched yet?

Nope...cant believe it's been almost half a year and they still haven't fixed a major crash bug and they have the time and money to announce and work on ports for this game, and develop a new game.

Pretty crummy support. I enjoy the game but every time I go to start it up I worry that it's just going to crash when I get into it.

Nope...cant believe it's been almost half a year and they still haven't fixed a major crash bug and they have the time and money to announce and work on ports for this game, and develop a new game.

Pretty crummy support. I enjoy the game but every time I go to start it up I worry that it's just going to crash when I get into it.

Are the crashes platform specific? Somewhat interested in grabbing this on Vita.

Nabs

They've been trying to fix it, but you can't expect them to put everything on hold for a patch. That would be one quick way to destroy their small studio.

I believe the patch is making its way through cert.

AEREC

Are the crashes platform specific? Somewhat interested in grabbing this on Vita.

It's currently only out for vita right now. It's a good game and your frequency of crashes may vary but I had like 10 in my first week of playing the game when it launched....in that week I've probably played for a total of 3 to 4 hours.

drotahorror

Got it today on PC. Definitely diggin it. At first I was wrestling with the controls but now it seems pretty natural. Except R1 and L1 spinning. I suck at that. I also don't see how people are getting ridiculous scores on some of these. Guy on the first "spot" level has like 160k. There's only maybe 5 grind rails and that's it. Takes about 5 seconds to beat the level. Really wish this game had replays like Trials.

Got it today on PC. Definitely diggin it. At first I was wrestling with the controls but now it seems pretty natural. Except R1 and L1 spinning. I suck at that. I also don't see how people are getting ridiculous scores on some of these. Guy on the first "spot" level has like 160k. There's only maybe 5 grind rails and that's it. Takes about 5 seconds to beat the level. Really wish this game had replays like Trials.
Just keep playing and you will see how easy it is that rack up crazy scores. Spinning is essential.

PS replays would be spectacular. I really want a Geometry War-esque leaderboard.

daydream

Banned
My Vita purchase is still a bit far off, however, I couldn't wait and got the PC version. Really liking it, has a great flow and (hopefully) a rewarding learning curve. Nailing a good run is very satisfying. Surprisingly awesome soundtrack, as well.

Will double-dip when the time comes.

Holy shit, this game is bloody amazing on the PC.

I see now what the Vita-enthusiasts were raving about, I just spent 3 hours straight nailing a particular level to unlock a harder difficulty and time just flew by. It plays perfectly using the wired X360 pad. Tried using my KB at first, and let's just say, it's wayyyy more difficult to pull off tricks.

A pad of any kind is highly recommended for this game.

This game is distilled digital crack. Those who haven't gotten this yet (due to a lack of Vita) should get it right now. I get the same vibes from the Bit Trip Runner games as I do with this one.

ksan

Just got it on PC, this game is amazing.
Getting exactly the same feeling as I had back when I was playing the original THPS games (with some help of Joyce Manor's new album).

It's like an amazing runner game, but a million times better.

Why is he pushing switch mongo though? :eek:

ksan

Damn, daily grind is an awesome idea, practiced 4 times, got the high score for today with my try.

Could be because there's only six scores there T_T.
Or does it only show the previous high scores?

kvothe

My first night of playing this, I went for the daily grind, wiped out and got a score of 0. But then it said I got the daily high score and it depressed me because I thought that
Meant no one else was playing. Then I realized midnight had already passed and it was the daiy grind for the next day and I felt better.

PepperedHam

This game is friggin brilliant. Any game with a quick restart button is going to be one of those games I pour hours and hours of my time into. So deliciously addictive.

Z..

Fantastic game, except for some weird shit I don't understand, and the lack of a practice mode.

2014-01-25-02550890ei2.jpg

What the fuck is up with the green stalls? Do you have to land a perfect to grind their roof railing, or something like that? Because unlike other grinds in the game, I'll pass straight through 50% of the time.

There was probably a pop-up I mistakenly mashed through.

Sorry to go digging through the graveyard... but this is driving me insane.

It just randomly decides which one you grind on. Getting all the green roofs is killing it for me. Cannot do because he refuses to grind on the top layer most times even though he's quite obviously high enough in the air to do so and I input everything correctly. What the fuck is going on?

---

Also, the landing mechanic isn't very well desinged...

Pressing X on the exact moment results in a perfect.
Pressing X nanoseconds before the exact moment results in an excellent.
Pressing X a second or so before the exact moment results in an "ok".
Pressing X any amount of time after the exact moment results in a sloppy landing.

Considering you're always aiming for a perfect, the game ends up essentially punishing you for doing better, sometimes. Everytime I've gotten a sloppy landing I was timing myself better than when I got an OK landing. They should've gotten rid of the "ok" landing and extend the period of time which now corresponds to an excelent landing to slightly after the exact moment as well as slightly before.

Top Bottom