• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OlliOlli |OT| Tony Hawks meets Hotline Miami

Nymphae

Banned
Holy fucking shit, I never rank highly in anything and I just nailed the daily grind on the first attempt at like 550k which puts me on top so far. Probably going to get smoked as the day goes along but it still feels great to be king for a minute lol.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
If I ever get the "Land 1 of every trick" Trophy, it will be by pure coincidence, lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If I ever get the "Land 1 of every trick" Trophy, it will be by pure coincidence, lol

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that trophy is busted, or there's some hidden requirement. I'm positive I've landed every trick, because I went through the bloody list (grinds included), and still haven't got it.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that trophy is busted, or there's some hidden requirement. I'm positive I've landed every trick, because I went through the bloody list (grinds included), and still haven't got it.

I saw mentioned elsewhere that you have to do each trick from each stance, regular, switch, nollie and fakie.

Nymphae

Banned
I wish there were more challenges, or levels users could create and submit or something. I just unlocked Radical mode last night and I have to say that's pretty disappointing, in my mind I was thinking radical mode was some even crazier tier of challenges, but it's basically just do everything again with an arbitrary restriction posed on yourself. There's not even indicators for having cleared a level in Radical mode so I see no point in doing it at all.

Staal

.^ I don't think I will have that problem for a while, only cleared the first world challenges so far.

The daily challenges can be brutal... and often enough I'm simply stupid when I totally miss the first grind and have sloppy landing.

Next to the stability issues a friends leaderboard is my most wanted update. Love the game though, play it every day so far.

DirtyLarry

Holy fucking shit, I never rank highly in anything and I just nailed the daily grind on the first attempt at like 550k which puts me on top so far. Probably going to get smoked as the day goes along but it still feels great to be king for a minute lol.
I do the daily grind usually right before I got to bed, so it has just started, so I have been getting 2 and 3 pretty consistent the last few days. Do not think I will ever get 1.
I know I probably slip down to 500, but would be really nice if there was a way to check, unless I am missing something?

Nags

Banned
Well I just got off the phone with PlayStation customer support and complained about the issues with this game and managed to get my account credited back. I recommend anyone still having issues to do the same.

Roll7 is on my personal blacklist of devs to avoid for releasing a faulty product.

In other news, we have now had three people (that we know of) complete RAD mode, which is pretty special. Only half of the Roll7 team have achieved this, so it’s no mean feat! Maybe we need to make the game harder?

Next Thursday, February 13th, the Daily Grind Spot will be the Base Amateur 5 Spot. So, if you have unlocked it, get practicing! If not – crack on with career mode until you can access it (then rinse and repeat!).

The Daily Grind ends at the following times…

Friday 3:00 AM for GMT Europe
Thursday 10:00 PM for EST Eastern US
Thursday 7:00 PM for PST Western US

King of the Daily Grind for the day will win a custom OlliOlli skateboard, helmet and first aid kit, as modeled by the lovely Shahid Ahmad and Spencer Lowe from Sony below.

12350653703_17714ac43dkjco.jpg

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014...a-custom-skateboard-helmet-and-first-aid-kit/

Number45

That's nice and all but no news on a patch to fix the crashing and completely busted trophies? Come on.
No news if you didn't bother to click the link. They're working on it - it clearly hasn't been easy for a small team to resolve if they've had to call in the help of other developers and Sony.

This would have been cool on PS4. Why is this Vita exclusive.
To get on your nerves, I would imagine.

Nymphae

Banned
I do the daily grind usually right before I got to bed, so it has just started, so I have been getting 2 and 3 pretty consistent the last few days. Do not think I will ever get 1.
I know I probably slip down to 500, but would be really nice if there was a way to check, unless I am missing something?

You go back to run the daily grind screen again and it updates your ranking position. You can't play it again, but it takes you to the score screen so you can see your rank.

Nymphae

Banned

I wish I was better at this game, I want that fucking skateboard so damn bad!

I'm getting better though, I'm regularly coming in under 25th position or so in the Spot score challenges.

I seriously can't get over how awesome and out of left field this game is. It's also a testament to the quality of the game that I keep coming back crash after crash, even when it crashes literally the moment I have completed a hard goal. Its frustrating and I'm really looking forward to patches, but yeah, this thing is crack to me.

Staal

Today I (finally) got to the end of a level only to have the game crash just before making the finish. This is the second time it happened, aside from crashes during races.

I'm gonna put this on hold until a fix is out. Too bad, because I really like this game.

Number45

Today I (finally) got to the end of a level only to have the game crash just before making the finish. This is the second time it happened, aside from crashes during races.

I'm gonna put this on hold until a fix is out. Too bad, because I really like this game.
Until they get the fix out, try and play the game in airplane mode (rather than with wifi active but not connected), as it seems like the crash is related to the Vita attempting to connect.

Skyzard

Banned
Accidentally posted this in the review thread but it just crashed for me (first time I think) while using airplane mode (and selecting go offline in-game). I was doing the 50 spins pro challenge.
Seems like there's more to the bug..

Just bought this and love it (dont use my Vita all that much but looking to change that). My left thumb is fucking killing me though...I need some stick covers or some shit. Any recommendations?

After a break from playing this game at the weekend I finally manage to nail a couple of the levels/challenges that were messing me up. Managed to unlock all the pro base levels and then proceeded to get a 2 million point combo on Pro stage 4 on my first try! This game just doesn't seem to get old, after a short break I come back to it more addicted than before.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
After a break from playing this game at the weekend I finally manage to nail a couple of the levels/challenges that were messing me up. Managed to unlock all the pro base levels and then proceeded to get a 2 million point combo on Pro stage 4 on my first try! This game just doesn't seem to get old, after a short break I come back to it more addicted than before.
exactly.
once you get the hang of it and the game clicks for you and you chain perfect grinds and landings and drive home a start to finish combo this game is just incredibly awesome and rewarding.
only thing that stops me from playing this game to no end is the hand crambs im getting after some hours.
I either need a grip or a DS4 compatibility patch :D

I've heard this game was first supposed for release on smartphones? Man so glad it didnt. Cant imagine the loss of fun when the game would be toned down for touch controls. Perfect example of game thats not possible on smartphone due to the pixelperfect input, which is what the game makes so good.

Has anyone else come across a bug whereby you complete all 5 amateur levels of the Junkyard but it doesn't acknowledge it? I.e. all tasks are complete but there's no yellow tick on the level select screen? I can't seem to get it to recognise my progress on the level which is annoying. I haven't got my Vita with me but I can do a screengrab when I get home, I'm guessing this is separate to trophies issue?

*edit* Never mind, I redid all the levels and the next area opened up.

Steiner84

no. had only one crash so far..
man, base 4 pro is giving me a hard time right now..

man, they should really give a 5 second "spawn protection" for daily grinds..
I just played the daily grind and consitently scored 200.000 points ahead of #1 only to jump too late at the first jump on my real run and set a 0 pointer lol

Steiner84

what the fuck.
this 50 spins challenge is just ridicoulus..
Everything else ive beaten after a while but this thing makes ma hands fall off.
What were they thinking? This is far far more harder than anything else in the game. not even remotely close to this..
Im not sure where or when I could squeeze in any more spins..

You have absolutely exactly zero room for mistake unless other challenges that èven come on later stages.. What am I doing wrong?

I have to stop now or else either my vita or my wrists take damage

Number45

Last update we have on that is from the competition blog post:

As you may have read in our communications and on forums, there is a pesky bug which seems to crop up quite randomly, which we found out about this just as journos were doing their initial reviews. The team has been working tirelessly to try to smash out a fix and a patch. It’s not an easy task, but we have help from our other Indie Vita friends and the splendid people at Sony – so fingers crossed we will have some news for you soon.

Steiner84

excuse my ignorance: What bug?
Ive played the shit out of this game for the last three days, only thing missing is the 50 spin challenge and i had exactly one crash the whole time.
Wifi enabled etc..
trophy bug? I think I have all I need to have at this point.

Ive played the shit out of this game for the last three days, only thing missing is the 50 spin challenge and i had exactly one crash the whole time.
Wifi enabled etc..
Trophy bug, random crashes.

For the longest time I couldn't clear any stages because every third or fourth would crash if it happens to clear more than 2 goals, I think. It just made for a super frustrating experience.

Chopper

Wifi enabled etc..
Do you have the trophy for performing every trick?

Nymphae

Banned
what the fuck.
this 50 spins challenge is just ridicoulus..
Everything else ive beaten after a while but this thing makes ma hands fall off.
What were they thinking? This is far far more harder than anything else in the game. not even remotely close to this..
Im not sure where or when I could squeeze in any more spins..

You have absolutely exactly zero room for mistake unless other challenges that èven come on later stages.. What am I doing wrong?

I have to stop now or else either my vita or my wrists take damage

It's actually incredibly easy.

First, make sure you're doing a rotation for every trick that you have room for (you can probably do a full 360 on a lot of the jumps with a trick as well).

Before you jump into a trick, make sure you are holding spin. Don't do big complex tricks, as you won't land the rotation in time. Just do ollies if you're trying to get spins, hold UP & a spin direction as you jump, or come off of grinds. This is important, for a while I was jumping, then trying to add spins, and I would bail a lot. Hold spin, then jump. While grinding, hold spin before you come off the grind, then jump. Watch the spins fly. You will be able to do way more than 50 when you get this down. It looks really disorienting when you get it right, you're just constantly spinning into and off of grinds, it feels great lol.

---

My problem with the game is now Junkyard Pro 3 & 5 in Radical mode. The timing for a few jumps & grinds is INSANE, I have spent two days trying to get past the first 10 seconds of Junkyard 3.

EDIT: What is this trophy glitch people are talking about? Is it just the do every trick trophy? Cause there are a LOT of tricks to perform, I'm guessing most people are missing a nollie frontside flip 180 or something weird like that.

Steiner84

Trophy bug, random crashes.

For the longest time I couldn't clear any stages because every third or fourth would crash if it happens to clear more than 2 goals, I think. It just made for a super frustrating experience.

well that is too bad. sorry to hear that.
I had none of this problems. Only one crash mid stage.
I also cleared 4 goals at once several times .

Do you have the trophy for performing every trick?
no I did not tackle this trophy yet, but I will try it

It's actually incredibly easy.

First, make sure you're doing a rotation for every trick that you have room for (you can probably do a full 360 on a lot of the jumps with a trick as well).

Before you jump into a trick, make sure you are holding spin. Don't do big complex tricks, as you won't land the rotation in time. Just do ollies if you're trying to get spins, hold UP & a spin direction as you jump, or come off of grinds. This is important, for a while I was jumping, then trying to add spins, and I would bail a lot. Hold spin, then jump. While grinding, hold spin before you come off the grind, then jump. Watch the spins fly. You will be able to do way more than 50 when you get this down. It looks really disorienting when you get it right, you're just constantly spinning into and off of grinds, it feels great lol.

---

My problem with the game is now Junkyard Pro 3 & 5 in Radical mode. The timing for a few jumps & grinds is INSANE, I have spent two days trying to get past the first 10 seconds of Junkyard 3.

EDIT: What is this trophy glitch people are talking about? Is it just the do every trick trophy? Cause there are a LOT of tricks to perform, I'm guessing most people are missing a nollie frontside flip 180 or something weird like that.

Well thanks man, but most of these tipps I allready figurer out on my own. Im only ollieing and spinning but it still seems not enough.. I wish there would be a counter or any information on how much spins you did after a run..
Also, did you go for the fastest route or did you vary your route to get more spins in?

Regarding the trick trophy, do I just have to go trough the list and do every trick one after another? or also in goofy stance?
Any recommandations for a spot where there is a nice jump, rail, landing at the beginning?

When is this game going to get a much needed patch to stop these random crashes? I can't seem to play more than 2 times without an error - even in airplane mode.

Chopper

no I did not tackle this trophy yet, but I will try it

Regarding the trick trophy, do I just have to go trough the list and do every trick one after another? or also in goofy stance?
Any recommandations for a spot where there is a nice jump, rail, landing at the beginning?
I'm not sure. I know that those who have gone through the list and performed every trick listed have not unlocked the trophy, leading me/us to believe it's glitched. Or there is some random unseen requirement.

Steiner84

Im doing Backsides and Switch Backsides. These are the right ones for the 50 spin challenge? I honestly have no clue where I could further imprive my run. Im spinning an ever single jump, I even make a 360 at the start before the first jump...
coming in at 1.3 mio points only from spins and grinds..

Steiner84

oh my god, I made it..

But not before I accidently read this:
olli50.jpg

should have read the tipps earlier
fuckthatshit.png

after i realized this the challenge unlocked at the first complete run.

So anybody having trouble with the 50 spins challenge, manually jump off of ledges instead of grinding it till the end. I think thats what most people dont realize, like me.

so glad now!
Rad Mode unlocked. This is all stages all over again with only perfect grinds and landings allowed? something else different?

Now i will try the trick trophy.

Nymphae

Banned
Well thanks man, but most of these tipps I allready figurer out on my own. Im only ollieing and spinning but it still seems not enough.. I wish there would be a counter or any information on how much spins you did after a run..
Also, did you go for the fastest route or did you vary your route to get more spins in?

A counter would be nice for sure. Yeah don't go for the fastest route, take whatever path is going to give you more opportunities to do spins. If you can hit a high grind and get a 540 or something off it, that is obviously better than just doing an ollie and a 180 trick off of lower ground. It takes practise but eventually you will find the areas you are able to do the most spins, it sounds like you know the techniques, you just need to keep at it.

As for the trophy, pretty sure you need to do every trick, from every stance.

Not sure about the spot you're asking for, but just going into the Spots (instead of the career levels) is a decent way to practice.

Nymphae

Banned
Rad Mode unlocked. This is all stages all over again with only perfect grinds and landings allowed? something else different?

Now i will try the trick trophy.

Nope that's exactly what it is, you don't even have to complete the goals though, just finish the level. Which is FAR easier said than done on some of them. Good luck with Junkyard 3 & 5 Pro.

Nymphae

Banned
Im doing Backsides and Switch Backsides. These are the right ones for the 50 spin challenge? I honestly have no clue where I could further imprive my run. Im spinning an ever single jump, I even make a 360 at the start before the first jump...
coming in at 1.3 mio points only from spins and grinds..

In the middle area where there are tons of grinds, you should be constantly jumping and spinning, transferring grinds. I used up & right shoulder button to spin into and out of every single grind (don't even worry about tricks, just up and R into and out of everything will help you focus on timing of the spins and recognizing the best spots to do so), and on the larger jumps where you come off a big grind, you can easily get a 540. It's kind of crazy just how much you can spin once you get good at it.

Top Bottom