• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OlliOlli |OT| Tony Hawks meets Hotline Miami

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Can you advise what you learnt? Having that issue and can't work out how to increase the speed, On long grinds I run out of speed and fall off.

On a long grind you need to do a trick and grind on the same thing again. This serves to both keep you at a good speed on a long grind and it increases your multiplier.

I've got a question.

Junkyard 4. What is the 'Frontside 360 Spin' trick it's asking you to achieve? I can't find that trick in the trick book. I've tried every possible trick combination I can think of and it hasn't triggered this yet. Anyone help? Thanks!

Skyzard

Banned
Are some of the trophies broken? There one for unlocking all the amateur stages, which I did, but didn't get a trophy.

Same, I didn't get that either.

Got the landing and grinding timing and inputs down pretty well, just sailing through levels and enjoying the game mechanics. Very nice. Any updates on friend leaderboards?

wumpy

Banned
Can you advise what you learnt? Having that issue and can't work out how to increase the speed, On long grinds I run out of speed and fall off.

You gotta press down right before u land on the grind, much like pressing x when u land normally

Game is crashing for some ppl? I've not had a single crash.

Loving this game, though can't play for longer than 10 mins. Need a grip badly

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I've got a question.

Junkyard 4. What is the 'Frontside 360 Spin' trick it's asking you to achieve? I can't find that trick in the trick book. I've tried every possible trick combination I can think of and it hasn't triggered this yet. Anyone help? Thanks!

For moves that ask you do do a move with a certain degree spin, it's asking you to do a move and hold down L or R in midair until you've done the required rotation. For the move you're asking is there a move in the trictionary simply listed as frontside spin? If so that's what you need to do but hold down the shoulder button until a 360 spin is achieved then land the trick.

Dachande

To help with crashes, go into the Vita settings, and turn off all Notifications. The game hasn't crashed for me once since I did, and tbh they tend to annoy me more on Vita anyway, personally. Turn them back on when the patch is out if you like.

Skyzard

Banned
Just read this tip on reddit and thought I'd share:

Doomburrito 8 points 11 hours ago (7|0) said:
Each trick has four variants.

Normal

Do a 180, then the trick (switch)

Hold L+R and do the trick

Do a 180, hold L+R and do the trick

Number45

As has been mentioned, you need to nail the landing to keep your speed up and keep tricking (and nailing the landing) as you grind the longer rails. You'll come unstuck in places, but once you learn the layout it's the only way to go.

TheGrue

To help with crashes, go into the Vita settings, and turn off all Notifications. The game hasn't crashed for me once since I did, and tbh they tend to annoy me more on Vita anyway, personally. Turn them back on when the patch is out if you like.

I haven't had a single crash since I rebooted my Vita. Had about 4 crashes in a short period when I first downloaded, but after I rebooted, have had none.

soultron

Banned
This game is obliterating my wrists. Really wish I could play this on a DS3 or 4.

Any details on a soundtrack release? The music selection is well worth the wrist mutilation.

Number45

Managed to clear the amateur levels, now to finish all of the challenges to unlock pro mode. Some of the Neon levels took me AGES just to get to the end of.

Really need to improve my tricking if I'm going to complete some of the harder challenges.

Number45

The only time I've witnessed a crash on this was on the wifi at my parents house (which isn't exactly reliable in my experience). Both at home and tethered on my phone it's been fine.

Hopefully the patch will get through certification soon, but as has been mentioned going to airplane mode should definitely help.

Olliewilldie

Neo Member
Done every challenge in Amateur except Neon 5 - 30 Spins and finish.... I really realllllllly struggle with spins damnit.

It's one button too many, my stupid fingers can't cope with it.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Such a fun little runner-like game, great controls and atmosphere/music.

But what on earth were the devs thinking not having a proper leaderboard in this kind of game?

Also, what's up with the thread title? Hotline Miami?!? :D

bjork

Roll7 favorited a tweet I made about using OlliOlli to keep me busy until I go to the doctor. I have finally arrived in the twittersphere etc.

Game is still great.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I need help with Junkyard 3 pro on rad mode. It's the only level I need to beat on rad mode and I'm completely stumped. There's a certain jump when you're grinding rails that is basically impossible because you're going too fast and fly right over it in to the garbage. In normal mode for this jump you can just make sure you hit a grind without getting a perfect so you'll slow down, but obviously that's not an option here. Is there any way to slow yourself down so you can hit the grind? Maybe a specific type of grind that can slow you down? I'm stumped. Th and I've tried taking a lower path that doesn't involve grinds but it's impossible to get past this bit that way. Help.

br3wnor

I need help with Junkyard 3 pro on rad mode. It's the only level I need to beat on rad mode and I'm completely stumped. There's a certain jump when you're grinding rails that is basically impossible because you're going too fast and fly right over it in to the garbage. In normal mode for this jump you can just make sure you hit a grind without getting a perfect so you'll slow down, but obviously that's not an option here. Is there any way to slow yourself down so you can hit the grind? Maybe a specific type of grind that can slow you down? I'm stumped. Th and I've tried taking a lower path that doesn't involve grinds but it's impossible to get past this bit that way. Help.

I haven't played Rad mode yet but have you tried pressing down on the stick as soon as you're in the air? It should get you down quicker and shorten the space of your jump

Number45

DL and played a bit before work super run. Reminds me a lot of Hotline Miami, restart play, restart play aim for the perfect run.
Yup, don't know why the title is causing so much confusion.

I haven't played Rad mode yet but have you tried pressing down on the stick as soon as you're in the air? It should get you down quicker and shorten the space of your jump
Wouldn't this also fudge your grind?

Bought it on Sunday night and have been playing since.

Such a fun game though my left thumb is protesting a bit (mostly due to the vita stick itself as I've only been playing on my 3DS as of late).

I really love the music for this game.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
DL and played a bit before work super run. Reminds me a lot of Hotline Miami, restart play, restart play aim for the perfect run.

So basically like a Runner?

My mind is blown by how Hotline Miami is the first thing that would come to anyone's mind.

DirtyLarry

I am currently on the Base part, have 5 starred every casual level up to this point, think my best score so far is somewhere in the 300k range, but for the life of me I cannot do a good Ollie out of a grind, which is really holding me back from getting up there on the leaderboards.

It is always just an Ollie or a Nollie out of grinds. So what is the trick to breaking this habit? I am thinking it is being really technical and planning things out accordingly, but for whatever reason it just all goes to hell once I start a run. I got perfect landings down, perfect grinding down, just cannot vary up my tricks out of a grind.

Any suggestions?

Doombear

Working on that all tricks trophy still. Think this is all the Nollie tricks (hold L+R). Anyone see any I am missing?

Nollie - U
Nollie - D
Nollie Kickflip - R
Nollie Shove it Flip - RDL
Nollie Hardflip - RUL
Nollie Heelflip - L
Nollie Varial Heelflip - LDR
Nollie Inward Heelflip - LUR
Nollie Backside Shove-It - DRU
Nollie Backside 360 Shove-It - DRUL
Nollie Frontside Shove-It - DL
Nollie Frontside 360 Shove it DLU
Nollie 360 Flip - RDLU
Nollie Laserflip - LDRU
Nollie Impossible - DRU360
Nollie 360 Hardflip - RUL360
Nollie 360 Inward Heelflip - LUR360

so1337

Man, I'm finally starting to get good at this game. Getting perfect landings and perfect grinds almost constantly now. Shit is awesome.

The challenges in each stage are actually really fun to complete. They're a lot like the objectives you'd find in a Tony Hawk game. I really like that some require you to get across the finish line and some don't.

-griffy-

Banned
So basically like a Runner?

My mind is blown by how Hotline Miami is the first thing that would come to anyone's mind.

It's extremely similar in the way you progress through the stage little by little, "die" and restart immediately until you learn "Oh, there's a guy with a gun around this corner/there's a gap in the sidewalk after this staircase and a snowman to jump over" until you complete a level. It's got more in common with that than an endless runner since their are definite stages instead of randomly generated endless sidescrolling.

SMK

So the tutorial sort of screwed me up into thinking you had to always press down to start a trick, and down again to grind, but apparently that's not the case. After finally breaking my habit I'm just mind blown on how many tricks you can combo together.

hurzelein

Thanks for pointing out the L+R=Nollie option. Didn't realize you can do that.

Great game, get's the "one more time" feeling very well.

After a few hours I didn't have one crash, I wonder why so many people seem to have problems. I hope it's fixable.

This game really showed me how we have absorbed the "normal gaming controls". Than one time comes a game with a different control scheme and you need ages to get used to it. I don't know how many times I pressed R for a save landing or X to Jump.

soultron

Banned
God I love this game.

My only gripe is the soundtrack sucks. Hotline Miami it ain't in that regard.

The soundtrack is fantastic, in my opinion. I like both soundtracks for each game, for the record. They really emphasize getting into a flow state and staying there, I think.

Skyzard

Banned
Not amazingly. Hopefully enough. Should have gotten a preview out before the game to build hype, hard to get it from the videos. Might have then been able to justify the not quite impulse-buy price. UK with PS+ was a fantastic price though that isn't the majority of folks.

Done every challenge in Amateur except Neon 5 - 30 Spins and finish.... I really realllllllly struggle with spins damnit.

It's one button too many, my stupid fingers can't cope with it.

Lay off the tricks? :p Better when it's just spins and ollies (d-pad?), just need to not get too greedy.

Trying to figure out how to get the first 2 spray cans on level 1-4... Driving me kinda nuts but I'll keep at it (probably super-obvious anyways).

Skyzard

Banned
Usually with spraycans you need to skip the grind rails and press x to land instead. Sometimes there's a jump needed shortly afterwards too.

Usually with spraycans you need to skip the grind rails and press x to land instead. Sometimes there's a jump needed shortly afterwards too.

Thanks. Cleared all of Urban & am now on Junkyard. 5-starred all of Urban too.

Now I'm also working on trophies lol.

Top Bottom