• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OlliOlli |OT| Tony Hawks meets Hotline Miami

Novocaine

So this gap in Junkyard 5 on pro. What the fuck? Any tips on how to get past it? I jump way too far if I try going from forklift to forklift, and not far enough if I try to avoid either of them.

aEBRJ8B.jpg

Edit: NVM. I managed to do it. What an annoying gap though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Early days, and baby steps.

Be1JQxyCQAAch3G.jpg:large

I'm on the fence with this one. Do I take the plunge?

I'm enjoying the hell out of my brand new Vita slim (I live in Taipei), and I've loaded up on quite a few titles as a result of the 14 for 14 sale...but do I plunk down another $10 out of my PSN wallet fund for this?

Here's the deal...I've never been a big fan of the pro skater video game genre. Having said that, I have dabbled and enjoyed them with passing interest, but it was always short lived.

I've been REALLY impressed with the indie title offerings on the Vita, and I'm willing to take a leap of faith with another one...but does this game appeal to those who aren't even into the skate boarding genre?

Sell me on it, GAF. You sold me on Spelunky already.

hohoXD123

I'm enjoying the hell out of my brand new Vita slim (I live in Taipei), and I've loaded up on quite a few titles as a result of the 14 for 14 sale...but do I plunk down another $10 out of my PSN wallet fund for this?

Here's the deal...I've never been a big fan of the pro skater video game genre. Having said that, I have dabbled and enjoyed them with passing interest, but it was always short lived.

I've been REALLY impressed with the indie title offerings on the Vita, and I'm willing to take a leap of faith with another one...but does this game appeal to those who aren't even into the skate boarding genre?

do-it.gif

I've personally never been able to get into any games from the skate boarding genre, but this one just clicked. It's highly addictive, you tell yourself that you'll just play once more and before you know it you've been playing for several hours. I recently added quite a few games to my backlog too but since each level is usually under a minute long, you can always play in very short bursts (or try to). Also, you'll be supporting a vita-exclusive indie which are pretty rare. Do you have PS+? Think you can get a discount on it for the first week.

Dachande

Yep, still loving this. I'm aiming for 5 stars as much as possible on every level, up to Market in Basic now.

Stupid attempted the Daily Grind last night before going to bed and fucked it up, urgh...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
IHere's the deal...I've never been a big fan of the pro skater video game genre. Having said that, I have dabbled and enjoyed them with passing interest, but it was always short lived.

It's nothing like a pro skater game, even if it's themed around skating. It's very cleverly designed in that the trick system is simple yet logical to execute and requires no former knowledge of skating or skate mechanics from other games. Levels are based around mastering momentum and timing alongside the basic skill system, but never burdens you with trick mastery unless you chose to aim for high scores and challenge criteria. At its core, the object of every level is simply to make it to the end, and like an endless runner that requires mastering the jumps and grinds and nothing more.

I'm not particularly fond of a lot of skating games and have little interest in skating. OlliOlli finds that wonderful balance between skate-themed mechanics yet keeps its core gameplay simple and arcade-like. Very addictive, if frustrating at times (like all good arcade games). The kind of game where you go in just wanting to make the end of the stage, but soon find yourself pulling off tricks and maximising your score because the systems are so logical and fun you cant help but give them a try.

Thanks for the feedback in response to my post guys.

I am a PS+ member (naturally), so for the price I feel like I can't go wrong. The praise this game is getting is too good to ignore.

The indie games that I'm playing now on my Vita have caught me off guard, in that they are all immensely engaging and addicting (Hotline Miami for starters, I should make a LTTP for that).

If OlliOlli is everything you guys are saying it is, then it sounds like a no-brainer.

Acid08

Banned
I stayed up way longer than I was supposed to playing this last night. So much damn fun. I'm gonna have to read through this thread to see if there are any tips for pulling tricks out of grinds, I can't consistently do them.

Hats off to the Roll7 guys for this game. Nice to have a great Vita downloadable game.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
God the game is so good. If we get a level editor and ps4 version. Omg....

please. based devs please

Godlike.

causan

Bought this yesterday and wow Im hooked.

Quick question, I have completed all the stars for the first three amateur levels but level 4 will not unlock. Do I need to complete the pro levels first before it unlocks?

impact

Banned
bought the game. tried playing but my hand gets cramped up D:

can i just pair a DS3 with it to play instead? lol.

Why not just buy a Vita grip? It makes playing all games on Vita much more enjoyable. HORI grip ftw

I'm enjoying the hell out of this game though, once it clicks it just becomes so enjoyable. Great portable game too.

madp0k

Loving trying to high score on the spots, thats going to give it some legs for me, not that im anywhere near completing it

hohoXD123

Bought this yesterday and wow Im hooked.

Quick question, I have completed all the stars for the first three amateur levels but level 4 will not unlock. Do I need to complete the pro levels first before it unlocks?

Have you completed the whole of level 3?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
WORLD NUMBER 1 ON BASE 2 PRO BITCHES! ALL BOW TO MY GREATNESS!

Sorry I know it's only one level and I know the game only came out a few days ago but this is something that's pretty rare in games for me. I'm going to enjoy this feeling while it lasts.

Alric

WORLD NUMBER 1 ON BASE 2 PRO BITCHES! ALL BOW TO MY GREATNESS!

Sorry I know it's only one level and I know the game only came out a few days ago but this is something that's pretty rare in games for me. I'm going to enjoy this feeling while it lasts.

Lol, I just got my first #1 on Junkyard 1 Pro. Finally taking it away from that KiiillRoy guy, He has enough, jeez.

Names: Myrkridian

2014-01-25-201740_zps5755c108.jpg

So does anyone have any tactics when it comes to air tricks? I'm trying to weigh up whether to go for more spins for a bigger multiplier or a high scoring trick like the 360 hard flip which takes more time to complete.

Specifically, I was having a go at Urban Spot 1. After I start out with the 360 hard flip, I try to get as much time on the rails with an R trigger grind along with squeezing I as many spins possible between rails. I just about maxed my score at 138,000 and I don't see any way of increasing it.

Made it to the snow levels. So far this game is crack in video game form. Still training myself to hit x too land more often. Best score so far is around half a million, which looks like i gotta step my game up after reading this thread.

bjork

OlliOlli: bjork approved

For reference, Spelunky is also bjork approved.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Yay I'm still number 1 on base 2 and 4 pro. I expected to be overtaken during the night. Has this game sold like dogshit or something? I find it weird that I'm so high on the leaderboards on so many levels. I feel like the only explanation for this is that hardly anyone actually has this game.

Holy shit I'm number 1 on neon 1 pro now as well! Damn. Messed up the daily grind today though. My practice runs were pretty good and were better than the current highest score, but I messed up my landing at the end. Got a sick instead of a perfect landing.

ascii42

Yay I'm still number 1 on base 2 and 4 pro. I expected to be overtaken during the night. Has this game sold like dogshit or something? I find it weird that I'm so high on the leaderboards on so many levels. I feel like the only explanation for this is that hardly anyone actually has this game.

Holy shit I'm number 1 on neon 1 pro now as well! Damn. Messed up the daily grind today though. My practice runs were pretty good and were better than the current highest score, but I messed up my landing at the end. Got a sick instead of a perfect landing.
I was playing through the amateur spots yesterday, and the lowest ranking I got was in the 600s, even when I screwed up and got a couple hundred points, or whatever.

So this gap in Junkyard 5 on pro. What the fuck? Any tips on how to get past it? I jump way too far if I try going from forklift to forklift, and not far enough if I try to avoid either of them.

aEBRJ8B.jpg

Edit: NVM. I managed to do it. What an annoying gap though.

Early days, and baby steps.

Be1JQxyCQAAch3G.jpg:large

Lol, I just got my first #1 on Junkyard 1 Pro. Finally taking it away from that KiiillRoy guy, He has enough, jeez.

Names: Myrkridian

2014-01-25-201740_zps5755c108.jpg

Ok so this is off-topic but I'll add an on-topic comment after; how are you guys getting direct-feed screenshots of this game?

On-topic: This game is amazing! I have played it non-stop all weekend. Managed to come within 4,000 points of yesterday's Daily Grind during practice but didn't have the balls to try it for real!

Has anyone experiences crashing with this game? Not the in-game missed-landing variety either. The game has crashed no less than five times during gameplay.

Alric

Ok so this is off-topic but I'll add an on-topic comment after; how are you guys getting direct-feed screenshots of this game?

On-topic: This game is amazing! I have played it non-stop all weekend. Managed to come within 4,000 points of yesterday's Daily Grind during practice but didn't have the balls to try it for real!

Has anyone experiences crashing with this game? Not the in-game missed-landing variety either. The game has crashed no less than five times during gameplay.

Hold the home button and press start to take a screenshot of what you're playing. Then just go into your photo gallery and email it to yourself.

br3wnor

Such a great game. Working on the neon city levels now, gonna Be a while before I'm able to 5star all the levels. Really hope they have extensive DLC, id gladly pay $10 for another 5 levels

Novocaine

Hold the home button and press start to take a screenshot of what you're playing. Then just go into your photo gallery and email it to yourself.

Yep this. Although rather than emailing it to myself I transferred it to my PC through content manager.

Nags

Banned
Have they fixed the crashes and added friends leaderboards yet?
I refuse to play this game again until they do so.

tanuki

Wow Base 5 took me an hour to reach the finishing line. Don't know why I had such difficulty on that level.. Sometimes would get so frustrated that I couldn't even clear the first obstacle.

What a great game though. Definitely one of the Vita essentials for me.

Top Bottom