• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OlliOlli |OT| Tony Hawks meets Hotline Miami

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Working on RAD mode and wow is it satisfying to hit all the perfect landings :D

Current RAD progress: Urban 10/10, Junkyard 8/10 Neon City 2/10

Have you beaten Junkyard Pro level 3 in rad mode? Getting on that crane thing at 170m seems impossible. Haven't landed it once and i've tried hundreds of times.

Jindrael

Banned
I think the Technical Master trophy is broken ... did everything in the tricktionary (even in rad mode to ensure that it's not about perfect landings aswell) but I just can't get it, my guess is that it is because Salad Grind has two different input possibilities (Left+R AND Up+L) but only one of them is in the tricktionary.

Maybe they accidently forgot to set a different move to one of those inputs =(

Already wrote them on twitter about it.

SoundLad

People weren't kidding about the difficulty. I also have a hard time not pressing X when going for spins for some reason... working on that 14x combo goal on the 2nd level I believe? Any tips?

Jindrael

Banned
Have you beaten Junkyard Pro level 3 in rad mode? Getting on that crane thing at 170m seems impossible. Haven't landed it once and i've tried hundreds of times.

This one is REALLY tricky ... you can't get the crane, I slowed down before the crane part and landed under the crane and jumped from there to the next rail.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Other than trick specific challenges, am I missing anything by not using the L button? Tht one is kinda uncomfortable to use when you use the stick so heavily.

I use L for tricks in normal gameplay. But there's probably an equivalent for every L trick on R so I wouldn't imagine you're missing much. I'm weird in that I use L for my tricks but R for my grinds.

VariantX04

This one is REALLY tricky ... you can't get the crane, I slowed down before the crane part and landed under the crane and jumped from there to the next rail.
How'd you slow down? Every time I land perfectly in the crane area I don't have enough time to jump to the next rail and I end up crashing. :/ This is the only Rad level I have left and it's beating my ass.

EDIT: Got it! What I did was instead of grinding in the beginning, I jumped twice instead to make sure I was slow enough when I reached the crane that I would grind on it and it worked! Rad mode completed! What a ride. *rimshot*

Velkyn

So many crashes, even with wifi off. Still love the game though.

The one thing I'd really like is a training mode where you can see your analog stick inputs, I'm still having trouble remembering which input is which trick without checking the tricktionary.

Also, dat soundtrack, holy damn.

I really hope they put out a patch for this game soon. It is hard enough in the later levels where I crash a lot. I don't need the game crashing too!

Jindrael

Banned
How'd you slow down? Every time I land perfectly in the crane area I don't have enough time to jump to the next rail and I end up crashing. :/ This is the only Rad level I have left and it's beating my ass.

Take the first rail in the level and grind it out till the end, onto the truck and from there to the rail that leads down.
Don't take any grind after that, the next grind is the one you have to take because of the hazardous ground grind this one out again to lose a bit of speed, on the one leading down from there only grind as short as possible and land.

Now you are on the part where it's only the crate left before the crane.

Don't grind the crate, just jump down and land and now try to jump over the trash at the end as soon as possible to get a bit of time under the crane to prepare your jump to the next rail.

That's how I did it but sadly I can't describe it any better. =/

VariantX04

Take the first rail in the level and grind it out till the end, onto the truck and from there to the rail that leads down.
Don't take any grind after that, the next grind is the one you have to take because of the hazardous ground grind this one out again to lose a bit of speed, on the one leading down from there only grind as short as possible and land.

Now you are on the part where it's only the crate left before the crane.

Don't grind the crate, just jump down and land and now try to jump over the trash at the end as soon as possible to get a bit of time under the crane to prepare your jump to the next rail.

That's how I did it but sadly I can't describe it any better. =/

I just got it. :D Thanks for the help either way.

bjork

This game kept me from getting to sleep on time yesterday. Had a hard time putting it down, even if I'm still sort of bad at it. It's a blast, though. Give me one game like this every few months and I'm good.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
FUCK! I was soooo close to going to number 1 on the daily grind. Messed up one of my tricks coming off a grind so I had to settle for number 2. I got a high enough score several times in my practice runs. Still, number 2 aint bad! Obviously I'll go lower throughout the day but nevertheless not bad.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Fantastic game, except for some weird shit I don't understand, and the lack of a practice mode.

2014-01-25-02550890ei2.jpg

What the fuck is up with the green stalls? Do you have to land a perfect to grind their roof railing, or something like that? Because unlike other grinds in the game, I'll pass straight through 50% of the time.

There was probably a pop-up I mistakenly mashed through.

VariantX04

Fantastic game, except for some weird shit I don't understand, and the lack of a practice mode.

http://abload.de/img/2014-01-25-02550890ei2.jpg[/img

What the fuck is up with the green stalls? Do you have to land a perfect to grind their roof railing, or something like that? Because unlike other grinds in the game, I'll pass straight through 50% of the time.

There was probably a pop-up I mistakenly mashed through.[/QUOTE]

They're just there for your grinding pleasure like all other stalls/rails. I can see how the color would throw you off though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
They're just there for your grinding pleasure like all other stalls/rails. I can see how the color would throw you off though.

I know, but I'm confused as to why I can only sometimes grind on the roof.

Doombear

I know, but I'm confused as to why I can only sometimes grind on the roof.

The ONLY time I have issues grinding them is if I just don't have the height and the directional press to grind is just too close. In later levels there are places where there are three tiers of grind-able objects, probably more later on too. If you are sure that you are holding a direction for a grind well in advance of coming down on the awning then it could be another strange bug?

I suck at this. Controls seem weird at first, but after spending a while playing it already feels like they're quite intuitive. I will play more, and in time hopefully suck less. That is all.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
This game is god tier. So addictive. One of the best score attack games on Vita if not the best. The crashes are getting on my tits though. When is the patch due? Also did the devs say if they were going to be patching in proper leaderboards at some point?

calder

Picked it up last night. I'm terrible at it half an hour in but it's still fun, think it's going to consume me soon.

Alric

I want to put it down but it won't let me :-( I need help. Someone take my Vita away from me. I'll bite you if you do though.

Jindrael

Banned
Oh yes! Totally radical :D

r758b1n.jpg

Junkyard pro-5 was by far the hardest for me because I tried something that only works like 1 in 1000 times after I found out that I was doing it the wrong way it became sooooo much easier!

And once again, buy this game it's totally worth it.

btkadams

i could not figure out how to do the varial heelflip last night. it was really frustrating. i looked in the tricktionary and was doing the exact movement, but it just didn't work. has anybody else had any difficulty with it?

ThisOne

Oh yes! Totally radical :D

Junkyard pro-5 was by far the hardest for me because I tried something that only works like 1 in 1000 times after I found out that I was doing it the wrong way it became sooooo much easier!

And once again, buy this game it's totally worth it.

Nice work. Not sure I'll ever accomplish that. Some of the level challenges make me want to throw my Vita through the wall haha. Sooo frustrating but I just keep playing anyway.

Jindrael

Banned
The most common problem with tricks out of grinds is the timing, if you hit the end of a rail you will automatically do an ollie.

You really need to plan out for what input you have the time on any given platform, e.g. really short platforms are not the place to try to squeeze in an impossible or 360 Hardflip.

For short platforms go with easy ones live shove-its or even laserflip etc.

The problem is often that when you miss one rail and auto-ollie from it the next following ones are even harder to get right.

Edit: Does anybody know all the locations for the golden boards?

hohoXD123

2014-01-25-02550890ei2.jpg

There was probably a pop-up I mistakenly mashed through.
Yeah those green stalls are weird. I noticed that if I do a noseslide or a tailslide grind, I get it almost every time, but if I try anything else I usually miss it.

Trigonx

i could not figure out how to do the varial heelflip last night. it was really frustrating. i looked in the tricktionary and was doing the exact movement, but it just didn't work. has anybody else had any difficulty with it?

I did for a few runs, do the variable heelflip as the initial jump by using <-- on analog and releasing it when it is facing down.

calder

Really liking it the more I play. But damn my stubborn unwillingness to move on before getting all 5 stars.

Also what's the best way to improve combos? Focus on harder tricks, longer chains or focus on perfect grinds/landings?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
this game should have a subtitle..

"We fuck with your mind by having you press X to land, not X to jump"..

and it´s fucking great once you get the hang of it..

I know it'll finally click, but the fucking controls for landing are so goddamned counter-intuitive.

I want to push down to land, not X.

It just feels weird to press X to land.

Novocaine

Game is fantastic, but I am having the hardest time doing tricks out of grinds. What am I missing here?

Just have to go from the grind directly into the corresponding trick. If you are holding down to grind to a quarter circle forward and when you release it will do the trick for you.

Top Bottom