• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OlliOlli |OT| Tony Hawks meets Hotline Miami

TheGrue

It's cool, but has crashed like 3 or 4 times on me (and I've only done the tutorial and the first two levels). I rebooted my Vita in case it helps. Will see if it crashes any more.

AEREC

It's cool, but has crashed like 3 or 4 times on me (and I've only done the tutorial and the first two levels). I rebooted my Vita in case it helps. Will see if it crashes any more.

Fun game but the crashes are frustrating...even had one with wifi off (was suggested earlier). Hope a patch comes soon.

jwk94

BesLegTCAAARCrE.jpg:large

finally got it.

Alpha_eX

Interface is a mess, touch screen buttons in the middle of a wide screen when the actual game is controlled using the device buttons?

Incredibly frustrating that I have to reach into the screen to do things that could easily and should have been mapped to buttons.

Other than that, game is pretty good but I stopped playing after a few deaths because I got fed up touching the screen.

hesido

I can't even get all stars for the first levels. I think I'm not up for the challenges on higher levels.

Btw, the game crashed 3 times in the first hour I played. First time ever I'm seeing a Vita game crash.

Nymphae

Banned
Interface is a mess, touch screen buttons in the middle of a wide screen when the actual game is controlled using the device buttons?

Incredibly frustrating that I have to reach into the screen to do things that could easily and should have been mapped to buttons.

Other than that, game is pretty good but I stopped playing after a few deaths because I got fed up touching the screen.

Shame you quit, I think I'll be playing this for a long time to come.

But yeah, you are spot on about the interface. Why the hell can't I use X to proceed through menus? I honestly wouldn't care that much, if the on screen buttons were reliable, but sometimes I'll die and I press the restart button like 20 fucking times and nothing happens. You can see the button being depressed on screen though. Pretty frustrating for a game that you want to restart INSTANTLY when you die. I did almost stop playing a few times because it was taking too long but it would always load just as I was about to walk away.

Doel

But yeah, you are spot on about the interface. Why the hell can't I use X to proceed through menus? I honestly wouldn't care that much, if the on screen buttons were reliable, but sometimes I'll die and I press the restart button like 20 fucking times and nothing happens. You can see the button being depressed on screen though. Pretty frustrating for a game that you want to restart INSTANTLY when you die. I did almost stop playing a few times because it was taking too long but it would always load just as I was about to walk away.

Is your Vita plugged in? I've noticed that when my Vita is plugged in to certain outlets, that the touch-screen doesn't work properly. I've had no issues using the touch screen in this game.

Manac0r

I know the devs are working on it.. but a friends leaderboard... along with the top three high-scores from your friend's list floating by during a level, would really add a (more) crack like incentive to this game.

Nymphae

Banned
Is your Vita plugged in? I've noticed that when my Vita is plugged in to certain outlets, that the touch-screen doesn't work properly. I've had no issues using the touch screen in this game.

No I didn't have it plugged in. I've never noticed that behaviour before and I play with it plugged in pretty regularly, I'll keep an eye out for that.

ThisOne

You have to beat all the challenges in Pro mode to unlock Rad mode? Great, I don't think I'll ever be able to do that haha

Doel

I can see the high-level comparison to Hotline Miami as it's super quick to restart, the mechanics feel perfect, the visuals are simplistic (yet look fantastic), and it takes trial & error to perfect a level.

No I didn't have it plugged in. I've never noticed that behaviour before and I play with it plugged in pretty regularly, I'll keep an eye out for that.

I notice it specifically with power bars. Hasn't been much of an issue with me as I prefer playing it untethered anyway.

nakedeyes

Banned
I own it.
It's not worth the asking price imo.

I also own it. I think its a good enough value. I think it will take me about ~8 hours of play to complete all goals ( this is a guess as im like 20% of the way through it now ), which is plenty enough to justify 13$. ( so cheap! come on.. )

And the gameplay itself is excellent IMO. I truly feel the OP's description of Hotline Miami X Tony Hawk is apt. Different strokes I guess.

Nags

Banned
I also own it. I think its a good enough value. I think it will take me about ~8 hours of play to complete all goals ( this is a guess as im like 20% of the way through it now ), which is plenty enough to justify 13$. ( so cheap! come on.. )

And the gameplay itself is excellent IMO. I truly feel the OP's description of Hotline Miami X Tony Hawk is apt. Different strokes I guess.

I find it misleading.

Plus:
The UI needs work.
No friend leaderboards.
...It crashes.

Not worth $13 or the PS+ discount.

nakedeyes

Banned
**How is it like Hotline Miami?**

^This.

Also... Tony Hawks?

Tony Hawk or Tony Hawk's would be correct.

You are correct.. Tony Hawks is meaningless lol.

How is this game like hotline miami?
* Similar looking pixel graphics
* Similar constantly pounding soundtrack
* Similar is length, price, and general expectations of a DL game.

That's enough to validate it for me! :)

nakedeyes

Banned
I find it misleading.

Fair enough.. It definitely wasn't the first comparison to come around for me ( I had been telling my friends: Canabalt X Tony Hawk :) )

When I think of the times I have sat down on the couch blasting the vita through my headphones, getting sucked in to the game and just having tons of fun with the music and gameplay at the same time, I think of two things though: Hotline Miami and OlliOlli :)

Nags

Banned
You are correct.. Tony Hawks is meaningless lol.

How is this game like hotline miami?
* Similar looking pixel graphics
* Similar is length, price, and general expectations of a DL game.

That's enough to validate it for me! :)

Similar soundtrack... what?
Are you involved with this game in any way? PR? Dev?

Doombear

I feel like it should be pointed out, this is a perfect implementation of soundtrack. The continuity of it. The amount of times you will be restarting a level, over and over and over again, well it would absolutely suck and break the momentum if the soundtrack stopped even for a second when you did.

The fact that the soundtrack is just there, it's own entity rolling along in the background from track to track, is so perfect. It is a small but perfect thing. Also, when you are killing yourself over that one particularly grueling objective and the music ticks over from some subtle jazzy track to a much more pounding beat, awesome.

I challenge thee to beat my Daily Grind score!

As for the crashes, it appears the game doesn't like it when it connects or disconnects to the internet, so people with shaky internet connections should switch to Airplane Mode to fix that.

UI being button controlled would be nice, but it's a minor niggle at best.

The gameplay, however, oh my. It's very good, once you get over the fact that X is for landing and not jumping. It's definitely has that "just one more go" factor, helped by the swift restarts and short nature of the levels. It's a great game to pick up, play for a bit and then set down.

Alric

anyone able to get all the paint cans on urban 4? there is a set below a grind I can't get for some reason.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Just when I think I'm getting the hang of things I try the first snow level. Oh. Now I suck again. The next snow level is much more forgiving though.

Doel

anyone able to get all the paint cans on urban 4? there is a set below a grind I can't get for some reason.

You just need to be conscious of it as it's coming up, and make sure to hit X and not the joystick/dpad before you hit the ground.

Alric

Yeah, it's pretty annoying, but you just have to time the jump correctly and make sure not to grind, just press x instead.

You just need to be conscious of it as it's coming up, and make sure to hit X and not the joystick/dpad before you hit the ground.

haha oh man thanks. Holding down when near a grind has become such second nature it is really hard not to do

Alpha_eX

I didn't quit forever, just for that session as I was tired, laying down and couldn't be bothered with the touch nonsense. I really don't understand why they can't have both, especially when the 'next' button is mapped to X!

The touch buttons aren't that responsive either, thought it crashed more than a few times. It's frustrating when you are in the menus so often, even just to restart.

reminder

I suck at this game but i keep coming back to it. I'd love if you didn't need to press X to land, but i understand why they did that. Cannot complain for 8€ though.

Skyzard

Banned
The scoring is so punishing when you land sloppy. Do an awesome string of combos, won't really matter. Gotta be careful with that x button. Sketchy still gives a decent amount of points, same with nice/ok.

Riposte

This doesn't look like Tony Hawk or Hotline Miami. If anything those GBA Tony Hawks would be more appropriate.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Silly question, but which move is the Frontside 360 Spin that it wants me to do in Junkyard 4?

It should be listed in the trictionary. From memory I think it may be hold L plus a half circle motion clockwise from the down to up position. I think that's the move you're talking about anyway. I could be wrong. In any case just check the trictionary. Actially I think I'm thinking of frontside big spin...

Man, when you've been stuck on a level and then it just clicks during that one run and you finish it in one long combo. I keep picking this game up pretty frequently.

I really do need to start working on more spins, some of those scores other people are getting are crazy compared to mine.

hawk2025

This doesn't look like Tony Hawk or Hotline Miami. If anything those GBA Tony Hawks would be more appropriate.

I believe the comparison to Hotline Miami are because of the soundtrack, the quick, ruthless pace where one mistake ends the level, and the slight graphical similarities.

The comparison to Tony Hawk should be self-evident, since the game involves skateboarding and stringing huge combos throughout a level, along with a scoring system.

Massa

^ check your Tricktionary on the retry screen!

It's not there, not with that name at least!

Is it not the one listed as "frontside 360 shove-it" ? Don't see another one that's similar..

Tried that, didn't work.

It should be listed in the trictionary. From memory I think it may be hold L plus a half circle motion clockwise from the down to up position. I think that's the move you're talking about anyway. I could be wrong. In any case just check the trictionary. Actially I think I'm thinking of frontside big spin...

That landed me something else... I'll try all and see what I can come up with.

Cheers all!

grapetile

Neo Member
Really, really liking this game. I'm even doing things like trying to top leaderboards, when I know I'll never have a chance. I've never been great at this control scheme for tricks, like Skate (even though this is wayyy easier), so sometimes I end up just ollie-ing out of my grinds when I mean to do other things, but it doesn't bug me that much. I'm still getting used to it.

I'm surprised to see people saying its crashing. I've had zero issues with it, but I understand this might not be the situation for everybody.

EDIT:
Silly question, but which move is the Frontside 360 Spin that it wants me to do in Junkyard 4?
I believe this is hold L, press up, and then keep holding L until you get a 360. Just pressing up gets you a 180, I believe, so you gotta hold it for another little bit.

Top Bottom