• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OlliOlli |OT| Tony Hawks meets Hotline Miami

Number45

Ugh, the don't grind challenges are murdering me!

Trying to figure out how to get the first 2 spray cans on level 1-4... Driving me kinda nuts but I'll keep at it (probably super-obvious anyways).
It is obvious. Took me a while as well.

Land rather than grind

Novocaine

Yeah the no grinding challenges are hell. Especially when it involves multiple jump and lands in a row within quick succession. I'm pretty sure I will be able to unlock rad mode with no huge problem but I cannot see myself ever completing it.

This game is so great, so glad I decided to pay real money for a game on Vita! (so far, PS Plus free games have been keeping me going indefinitely)

The only complaint is that in order to play it effectively, you need the ability to actually read words. I can't believe I wasted hours trying to land a Hardflip 360 instead of a 360 Hardflip :)

Ugh, the don't grind challenges are murdering me!

It is obvious. Took me a while as well.

Land rather than grind

Yeah. I figured as such after much swearing. Got them all and am now working my way through Junkyard.

Got a nice retweet from @rollsimon this morning after I tweeted about how despite the pain in my left thumb, I'm gonna play more OlliOlli once home.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Fucking finally.

2014-01-31-0025205esxk.jpg

Neon City Pro 3's 50 spins challenge was a nightmare. Far and away the most difficult thing for me in the entire game.

soultron

Banned
That no grind challenge was a killer, but once you get it, it's a satisfaction on the level of beating a boss in Dark Souls. Took me maybe 30 minutes but I loved every second of it.

Also, not sure if everyone knows this, but you can skip to the next song by pressing Triangle anytime you're playing.

The first level on Base is giving me a hard time. I can't seem to land perfectly and then olli again in time to make it to the next strip of ground. Any tips for this?

Skyzard

Banned
^ tough at first, wrecks your confidence, but after a little learning curve it gets much better. And has a few more learning points later on but you can still enjoy it after the first hour or so hurdle of getting your brain wired up right. Great purchase though, a really satisfying game.

Nice job, EatChildren, just working on the pro challenges now myself. Great handheld game.

soultron, thanks for the tip! Didn't know triangle was used for anything and wanted a way to skip that track where the music gets pumped (they used it for the trailer where the guy just flops bad and that part is engrained in my memory - so I think that I'll be leading up to it :p).

The first level on Base is giving me a hard time. I can't seem to land perfectly and then olli again in time to make it to the next strip of ground. Any tips for this?

Do it quickly :) Try practicing with the d-pad for the timing. Perhaps jump earlier to get more distance to do it, and don't push more than you need to (so you aren't going as fast).

Skyzard

Banned
Btw, I had Wi-Fi off [not airplane mode, just wifi off] - and I loaded up OlliOlli fresh, not resumed from standby. A popup came up and asked if I wanted to play in offline mode or connect online, selected offline.

Then I selected a random pro port stage to do some challenges. Within 10 seconds of playing it crashed... doesn't usually crash with wifi off for me but thought I'd mention it.

nampad

Thanks for the track skipping tip soultron.

I guess I have to consider myself pretty lucky, game hasn't crashed on me yet.
Prefer using the dpad over the analog stick because I can hit the directions much easier with it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Btw, I had Wi-Fi off [not airplane mode, just wifi off] - and I loaded up OlliOlli fresh, not resumed from standby. A popup came up and asked if I wanted to play in offline mode or connect online, selected offline.

Then I selected a random pro port stage to do some challenges. Within 10 seconds of playing it crashed... doesn't usually crash with wifi off for me but thought I'd mention it.

All my cashes have happened with the Video player open for me.

It's weird, the only 2 apps I have open are Video and the game and sometimes it tells me to close the video player before I open up the game and other times it won't say anything.

I've never had the game crash when its been the only app running.

anddo0

I got two crashes within my first five minutes of playing. I haven't had any since.

I'm enjoying the game, it's the the deal. The soundtrack is surprisely good.

Hasney

Had a crash during the tutorials when I first played it, then had a big gap of nothing until I went to play last night. Up to the penultimate level and the game won't stop crashing soon after boot now.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Any tips for that? It's just killing me ; _ ; Everything else was quite easy.

git gud

Seriously, I have no idea what else to say. I fobbed off doing all tricks and instead stuck with ollis + spins, since ollis have the shortest animation frames and thus in the long run get more bang for your buck off every jump. It's such a fucking pain. The track is short, so you're really pressured to get in spins on every jump. You have to grind almost all of it, ground is either spiked or a useless dead end, and most of the jumps require you keep speed from the grinds and thus you have to chain perfect grinds else you won't make it. Trying to get as many spins in on each jump, knowing you cant be mid spin when you land a grind, and you need to time the grind to be perfect...my poor thumbs.

I just had to keep doing it over and over, maximising my spins. Sorry man :/

Cryst

Any tips for that? It's just killing me ; _ ; Everything else was quite easy.

Ollie right as you start to get two spins before your first jump, two more during the jump, then once more for two or three. Then as EatChildren said, stick to ollies for every jump, and you can squeeze at least two for every single one of them (save for a super teeny jump here and there).

You can ollie off the very last grind early to get more air time to squeeze in spins as well.

This game is really really addictive, worried my left stick and X button might break. Anyone else thinking a level creator would benefit this game?

orioto

Good Art™
Aaaw i started playing the game and i couldn't go farther than the 3 first level cause i played them to death to have nice world rank ^^

this game is absolutely amazing.
addicting and funny.

even my girlfriend likes it and plays it sometimes, normally she isn´t into video games at all.

Doombear

0 crashes ever. I don't say that to rub it in, but because it is so strange. I have been playing the hell out of this game (and it made me activate my 30 day trial of Music Unlimited because wow... it just makes the game even better) and have never had a single problem. I don't get it.

I have had a blast with it. I have refused to allow myself to move on to the next level until I five star the previous. I won't move on to the next stage until I have five starred both the Amateur and Pro stages. It has been pretty frustrating more than a few times. Currently have one and a half Amateur levels left in Neon then on to my last five Pro stages and RAD MODE!

Going to be sad when I have finished all of the levels. I wish there were 50 more.

Skyzard

Banned
What's your go-to move for a high score?

Some sort of semi-circle right? I usually start off with an impossible (sounds cool, tough to do) then some random flips and basic moves + some spins and try and focus on the timing.

-also the half-way there trophy wasn't bugged - need to complete all the amateur stages and their challenges (not just unlock them like it says).

--another thing, you know sometimes you miss the rails but you grind down the stairs, is there any way not to fall after that? Can't seem to find the right input or timing.

Doombear

--another thing, you know sometimes you miss the rails but you grind down the stairs, is there any way not to fall after that? Can't seem to find the right input or timing.

Not that I know of. It happens in Base a lot when I land just under the snow. Always bail no matter what trick I try after. Only the 5 Neon City Pro levels to go. I took a break to go after the golden boards. I have 4 of the 5 but
Base Amateur 2
is killing me.

The full list of Golden Board locations:
Go BEYOND the crowd at the end of these levels, usually by grinding past them. Keep going to get to the boards.
Urban Amateur 5
Port Pro 5
Base Amateur 2
Base Pro 4
Neon City Amateur 4

Jindrael

Banned
Not that I know of. It happens in Base a lot when I land just under the snow. Always bail no matter what trick I try after. Only the 5 Neon City Pro levels to go. I took a break to go after the golden boards. I have 4 of the 5 but
Base Amateur 2
is killing me.

The full list of Golden Board locations:
Go BEYOND the crowd at the end of these levels, usually by grinding past them. Keep going to get to the boards.
Urban Amateur 5
Port Pro 5
Base Amateur 2
Base Pro 4
Neon City Amateur 4

How the hell are you supposed to do the jump after the crowd in Base Amateur 2?
This is the only thing left for me to 100% the game but this seems stupidly hard.

Doombear

If you figure it out, let me know because I gave up for now. Nothing I do gives me the momentum to clear that gap...

Shinriji

i never experienced a lockup since today and I've playing almost everyday since release.

And today I wasn't able to play for more than 5 minutes because every time it lockup after a fall, patch pls.

Jindrael

Banned
Found it the last board is NOT in Base Amateur 2!

It's in
Junkyard Amateur 5
!

That means all locations are:
Urban Amateur 5
Port Pro 5
Junkyard Amateur 5
Base Pro 4
Neon City Amateur 4

EatChildren

Four stages left in RAD mode.

So hard.

orioto

Good Art™
oh shit what ?

Olli.jpg

And i could have done better i didn't do any tricks on several grinds (i find the stick moves to be pretty hard to do), but i managed to perfect land a lot of time.

Still i'm pretty surprised.. is this a bug ?

Doombear

So close to rad mode. Hit that 50 spins hurdle. Some times I SWEAR I have to be hitting 50 spins but nope. =( 1.6mil is my high score on that level and it is all spins all the time but I apparently am not spinning enough. SPINS!

EatChildren

Ok seriously. Give me a tutorial of how to do junkyard 3 pro on rad mode. It's the only one I have to do and I've been stumped on it for a week.

Last course I did, and it was a nightmare.

2014-02-04-163839w4ylk.jpg

I'm guessing this jump fucks you? Trying to land off the crates onto the excavator's arm then the rail below? The rest of the track is pretty cruisey, but this was hell.

Took me a million tries, but what helped me was aiming for the far left edge of the crate and immediately jumping off. This should give you enough room to land on the far left edge of the excavator's arm. Jumping off the crate too late clears the excavator and fucks you, so you have to do your best to minimise the jump distance between the two.

Good luck.

So...whats in Rad mode?

All lands and grinds must be perfect, else you face plant.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I love this game, but the repeated technical issues (regular crashes for me) and lack of proper leaderboards just keep pushing me back to spelunky instead after ten or fifteen minutes.

I'm going to finish all levels though, sometime, hoping for some patch soon to at least fix the crashes.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
How do I do a Hardflip 180 spin? Can't find it in the tricktionary

Top Bottom