• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once-hyped games that are now completely forgotten

stay gold

Titanfall: The thread

A game that was very well received critically and commercially and will get a sequel? Ok then.

Lair and Too Human are the best recent examples. Both got loads of hype until they got near to release and the gameplay footage looked like utter shit, both then released with a whimper.

redcrayon

Is amazing how much this describes Titanfall. Just replace "Halo Killer" with "CoD Killer."

To be fair, there was a reason Titanfall was hotly anticipated and covered, the track record of the developers gave it a pretty good chance to be a decent multiplayer shooter. As opposed to Brute Force, where the hype was just inexplicable.

Skunkers

Watch Dogs shipped 8 million copies. It's hilarious to see it named in a thread like this.

Seriously. I guess there's a bunch of young whippersnappers in this thread not old enough to have actually been around for the likes of Brute Force?

Watchdogs and Titanfall, while both found to be a bit disappointing by actual gamers (not the gaming press), both managed to sell way, way, way more than enough to guarantee sequels. Sequels which will have new features and improved mechanics which will likely make them better games, and probably bankable franchises. They are inherently disqualified from this thread, if only because they will definitely get sequels.

I think the OP really nailed the topic on the head though, I can think of plenty of other titles like this.... but none of them so perfectly embody this subject like Brute Force. That game was *so* massively hyped, and was utterly irrelevant a day after launch.

Yet within 3 months everyone stopped playing. It came and went.
image.php

We shall see...
Though Alpha impressions from Destiny were so good that I'm not picturing quite the same nosedive.

I'm not sure how Titanfall makes sense for this thread. It's not "completely forgotten" by any stretch of the imagination. This isn't a "disappointment" thread, it's a "forgotten" thread. A lot of disappointing games are remembered for being disappointing.

I'm not saying Titanfall is disappointing (I haven't played it) but I sure do still hear about it a lot.

Anyway, Brink is a good one because I remember GAF hyping it up but I hadn't remembered so until this thread.

Another I'll suggest is Hellgate: London.

SpartanTWbox.jpg

This game came around the same time as God of War and Sega was clearly trying to ride the wave of hype that game was building up. I remember that G4 made a documentary or some sort on the development on this, and I kept wondering why when it could basically has been summed up as "Cause GoW".
Look here pal, gaming for me is a religion, and Haze is the Shit!

Duster

I remember quite a lot of hype for Enter the Matrix back in the day. People really thought they had figured out how to make a great licensed game...

Oh good example, it was meant to play a key part in bridging the gaps left in the franchise's storyline ushering in a new era of cross-media storytelling in the process.

I wouldn't say Zool is forgotten and it did get a sequel but it never delivered on the hype for the Amiga version.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
But its not forgetton. And lets be honest...it wasn't SO bad. Actually I liked it a lot and put a lot of hours into it. And here and there people still talk about it.

I would go with the reboot from Alone in the Dark. It got massive hype before release and now no one remember it...
Not me, the PS3 Inferno version is one of my favorite PS3 games, a criminally underrated game imo.

Feindflug

A game that was very well received critically and commercially and will get a sequel? Ok then.

Lair and Too Human are the best recent examples. Both got loads of hype until they got near to release and the gameplay footage looked like utter shit, both then released with a whimper.

It's funny because Titanfall is being mentioned so much from the haters that it can't be forgotten even if the game deserved it.

Also wtf at The Wonderful 101 being forgotten? the game is still getting a lot of love...various mentions in Wii U/action game related threads and LTTP topics. Maybe some people confuse a completely forgotten game with a cult classic.

Setsuna

Rage that game was hyped to be the next greatest thing of graphics with its megatextures produced by john carmack

the game was supposed to blow everyone away with "insane" texture detail

game came out and nothing

Spore would be my answer, but it's been mentioned several times, so I'll go with:

2AJzpZq.jpg

I just want to know what the rationale behind this game was. "Hey lets make an open world game with absolutely nothing in it to do and have the only way to get anywhere be turning signals pointing to the next mission, making sure that no would would ever humor the thought of exploring the world."

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Am I wrong or was there substantial hype for Glover back in the day?

Then it turned out to be one of the worst games I've ever played.
There was a lot of advertising for it, at least. Never played it myself, but it seemed to be everywhere for a short time.

As for what came to my mind: Clayfighters and a bunch of other mediocre flavor-of-the-month mid-90s fighting games.

It's funny because Titanfall is being mentioned so much from the haters that it can't be forgotten even if the game deserved it.
Yup.

It's funny. I have no interest in the X1, and I haven't bought a first-person shooter since Perfect Dark on the N64. But I'm never going to forget about fucking Titanfall considering how much this forum rags on it at every opportunity. And I don't even have a clue of how it looks or plays.

RiverBed

Banned
medal-of-honor-wallpaper-11.jpg

Not only in this particular game itself, but as a franchise that was raised from the 'dead' only to quickly vaporize again. Pity, EA could have it's own 'old war era' backdrop. They would have all three time eras locked down.

(old-school MoH fan)

I predict Watchdogs will be forgotten in about a year.
I think Ubi already planned at least two games in the IP. I'd be surprised if a sequel didn't release within 2 years.

nib95

Banned
I think the Titanfall choices don't really work for this thread (not yet anyway). Player numbers may have dropped off considerably, but based on the community segment of GAF, there is still somewhat of a small dedicated community still at it.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I think the Titanfall choices don't really work for this thread because it was specifically stated by Phediuk in the first fucking paragraph of the thread's opening post that it wasn't the kind of response he was looking for.

fsckit

Neo Member
Tabula Rasa

Richard Garriott's big new game after the Ultima series/UO had a huge amount of hype and then just died. I couldn't even remember the name of the game and had to look it up from Garriott's Wikipedia page.

I'd say the bit about his termination from and lawsuit against NCSoft was probably more interesting than the game itself.

Savitar

cover_large.jpg

The last hurrah of a dying platform, Mayhem in Monsterland for the C64 was hyped up beyond belief before its release, with wall to wall coverage during development, culminating in a 100% review score in Commodore Format. 100%. I call that hype.

It may not be totally forgotten - I'm pretty sure it got a digital release on the Wii, but I can guarantee that not many people remember it.

He kinda reminds me of a shitty drawn Sonic colored yellow.

Am I the only one.

Pit

A game that was very well received critically and commercially and will get a sequel? Ok then

True it was well received and there will be a sequel, but like OP states, it got huge hype and now where is it? While of course people still play it, there is not a whole lot of marketing for it or its new DLC. It died off very quickly

DrKelpo

Banned
I think the Titanfall choices don't really work for this thread (not yet anyway). Player numbers may have dropped off considerably, but based on the community segment of GAF, there is still somewhat of a small dedicated community still at it.

It's not forgotten, but I guess it kinda works for this thread because it was marketed and hyped like the second coming of gaming-christ. And compared to that, you don't hear and see that much of it anymore.

Ummm titanfall is actually a really good game and far from forgotten.

Over-hyped is a matter of opinion. But definitely not fitting this thread.

Brute force... now I can see that game fitting. I remember it had a demo reel on halo CE lol, that is about it. Never played it or saw footage.

nib95

Banned
Does The Bouncer (PS2) count? That to me felt like it had a lot of press coverage and hype, but ultimately it's sales and critical reception were both lacklustre.

Synth

If you can actually make me forget this, I'll pay you.

I think the Titanfall choices don't really work for this thread because it was specifically stated by Phediuk in the first fucking paragraph of the thread's opening post that it wasn't the kind of response he was looking for.

I think the Titanfall choices don't really work for this thread because it's the first thing the same to pop into everyone's mind when anything about pre/post release hype is brought up. It's still on everyone's mind regardless of if their thoughts on it are positive or negative. Nearly every other game released for this gen so far is more qualified for this title. How often do you read about Resogun today for example? It was supposed to be the new Geometry Wars.

nib95

Banned
If you can actually make me forget this, I'll pay you.

I think the Titanfall choices don't really work for this thread because it's the first thing the same to pop into everyone's mind when anything about pre/post release hype is brought up. It's still on everyone's mind regardless of if their thoughts on it are positive or negative. Nearly every other game released for this gen so far is more qualified for this title. How often do you read about Resogun today for example? It was supposed to be the new Geometry Wars.

I guess you weren't around for the recent update and DLC threads.. That shit went viral. Tonnes of unique and/or nostalgic ship designs and a heck of a lot of forum and gamer chatter.

Into

For PC:

Spore, Black and White, Tiberian Sun, every "WoW killer" ever mostly Old Republic and probably tons more

For consoles:

The Getaway
Headhunter
Jade Empire
Haze
Lair
Red Steel
Titanfall

Synth

I guess you weren't around for the recent update and DLC threads.. That shit went viral. Tonnes of unique and/or nostalgic ship designs and a heck of a lot of forum and gamer chatter.

Actually I remember that now, lol. It just disappeared from my thoughts again shortly after. I guess that was a pretty bad example though, but basically everything is more forgotten than Titanfall at this point, because its pretty much the only game that is consistently brought up in threads that aren't about that game specifically.

I dont know, I thought perception of Resogun was 'oh that cool little sideline you get free with PS+'

It was basically the only launch game anyone had any real faith in being great. The cost isn't really important. GeoWars was also a small downloadable title, but it was probably the most important game of the 360's launch.

GeNoMe

I hate to kick someone when he's down but...
My pick would have to be Watchdogs. I couldn't even bring myself to finish the game, what a waste of hard earned money :/

I could think of two.

tc4520c_image-40610-0cefead7.jpg

Was going to post this: it might as well be called Rise of the Robots: The Thread. I guess most here are a bit too young to even know about this, but the hype surrounding this game was literally unprecedented; I don't think a single game, ever, up to that point, had gotten such a ridiculously massive amount of press hype (remember, this was a post-Street Fighter 2 world, and it STILL got more hype than any version of Street Fighter). Then it came out and it was a painfully unplayable mess. Magazines all around the world pretended the game didn't exist (except to take potshots at it once in a while), probably so as not to be shamed by association because of their obviously unwarranted hype. This example was burned in my mind as the most amazing disparity between pre- and post-release coverage; no game before or since was so mind-boggling, not even Spore.

Also, in the case of Spore, and unlike most examples in this thread, this disparity was entirely justified; the game that was announced to the public was utterly different and much more complex than what was finally released.

Top Bottom