• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once-hyped games that are now completely forgotten

liquidtmd

Banned
Was going to post this: it might as well be called Rise of the Robots: The Thread. I guess most here are a bit too young to even know about this, but the hype surrounding this game was literally unprecedented; I don't think a single game, ever, up to that point, had gotten such a ridiculously massive amount of press hype (remember, this was a post-Street Fighter 2 world, and it STILL got more hype than any version of Street Fighter). Then it came out and it was a painfully unplayable mess. Magazines all around the world pretended the game didn't exist (except to take potshots at it once in a while), probably so as not to be shamed by association because of their obviously unwarranted hype. This example was burned in my mind as the most amazing disparity between pre- and post-release coverage; no game before or since was so mind-boggling, not even Spore.

Also, in the case of Spore, and unlike most examples in this thread, this disparity was entirely justified; the game that was announced to the public was utterly different and much more complex than what was finally released.

Very true, I remember living through that.

I just laughed out loud on seeing the 'Music by Brian May'! sticker again, I remember what it sounded like. 'Music by the dead corpse of Freddie Mercury' may have been more accurate

eXistor

Appropriately I forgot the name of the game, but there was this platformer on the PSX that was supposed to be the next big thing and then it just sucked and did absolutely nothing. The main character was also the name of the game and was a chiseled guy kinda like R&C's Captain Qwark.

Rembrandt

Banned
How about The Force Unleashed? I remember seeing so many videos about the physics and stuff and tons of previews, but it seemed to come and go.

Philippo

Does FFXV kinda count?
Yeah it was huge when they re-revealed it, but since SE never released anything new i feel like hype is heavily diminishing, fans have never been angrier at SE for their (non)marketing campaign and its probably fallen of the radar of non-FF-fans.
I guess the game is bound to have sudden hype spikes until release (ahahah).

mcz117chief

The real answer
Heart_of_Darkness_Coverart.png

Had the hype-train of the century. Now very few people remember it

bobawesome

Appropriately I forgot the name of the game, but there was this platformer on the PSX that was supposed to be the next big thing and then it just sucked and did absolutely nothing. The main character was also the name of the game and was a chiseled guy kinda like R&C's Captain Qwark.

Blasto can never be forgotten.
I never actually played it, I just remember seeing it all the time in my local Hollywood Video growing up.

mjontrix

I can think of Blinx for the Xbox, was hyped to become the Mario / Crash Bandicoot of Microsoft. However that game ended up gaining very little traction and they quickly scrapped him as a potential mascot.
It had a sequel, but that also went completely under the radar.

RIP in peace brave cat.

Blinx_120.jpg

The sequel was pretty good!

For PC:

Spore, Black and White, Tiberian Sun, every "WoW killer" ever mostly Old Republic and probably tons more

For consoles:

The Getaway
Headhunter
Jade Empire
Haze
Lair
Red Steel
Titanfall

I thought people loved Tiberian Sun?

Great call on Headhunter though. That game had massive hype.

MCN

Banned
I hate to kick someone when he's down but...
My pick would have to be Watchdogs. I couldn't even bring myself to finish the game, what a waste of hard earned money :/

I don't think you understand what the word "forgotten" means.

Very true, I remember living through that.

I just laughed out loud on seeing the 'Music by Brian May'! sticker again, I remember what it sounded like. 'Music by the dead corpse of Freddie Mercury' may have been more accurate

Rise Of The Robots sucked, played it on SNES - amazing graphics and sound, but the gameplay was a nightmare

funnily, i thought Rise Of The Robots 2, which i had bought, was kind of OK, i want to see that game re-released on XBL or PSN, just with some adjusted control fluidity

My buddies and I were hyped for Brute Force. We went and bought two copies and linked our xbox's and smoked a bit and had a great time. It was fun coop and had some cool mechanics that made each character unique. I loved the snipers special move and my friends each liked the other 3 characters. Too bad it never realized its potential.

Synth

Exactly, so far I haven't seen a single game I don't know.

Well, you can kinda assume if they were once hyped, then you should actually know what they are. It's more about people actually remembering they exist. For some of these games, this thread's topic is one of the only reasons to ever mention the game again.

kekke

Banned
Yet within 3 months everyone stopped playing. It came and went.

What is this shit? Every other thread has people saying these same things with no proof whatsoever, just salty "I don't like this game,IGN editor said his eyes melt so whole media is paid, no one likes it, it has no legs, 792p lol" comments, totally pointless. There is lot to critisize in production of Titanfall and in game itself, but this just needs to stop.. Well at least it's not forgotten by them since there are often same people putting Titanfall down in different threads.

On topic, I would say Brink, it sounded so good and it had interesting art style, but it really was big dissapointment and at least many people wanted to forget it.

FZW

Blasto

and those who mentioned Titanfall and watchdogs deserve all the facepalms in the world. Those two games are the most talked about on this forum, i dont know how that qualified as forgotten.

Also in reponse to the OP, i think you can classify any PS3 exclusive that came out in the first year under the category.

A lot of the submissions here make me glad I tend to avoid getting caught up in hype if I can help it.

Red Steel belongs here, no? It benefited from being the first Wii title the public heard about, some rather optimistic screenshots that might have overstated the graphical power of the system, and considerable interest in how a pointer-controlled FPS was going to work. It sold well at launch as many early adopters' second purchase after Twilight Princess... then nothing. Thinking back to 2006 I can't even remember if I played it.

HoodWinked

I like how people rush to point out titanfall as if its even remotely qualifies.

the effort to try to downplay the game in practically every opportunity means its far from forgotten.

i mean infamous (released around the same time) is mentioned even less than titanfall. 99% of games fall off after the first month.

both games are going to get sequels.

BioShock Infinite.

Game had so much potential. Instead its remembered as being inferior to Last of Us and being responsible for shutting the studio down.

This despite the fact its 90+ on metacritic so its not a bad game either.

this game was one of the best games of last year, and last year was a hell of a year for games. cant really compare it to tlou, they are both amazing in their own right.

oh man, i remember playing this game as a kid with my cousin start to finish. this is probably the main thing that got me into cyberpunk. dont remember it being bad/forgettable, but again, i was just a kid at the time.

also, does broken age count? or shadowrun returns? probably wasteland 2 too?..

N30RYU

I like how people rush to point out titanfall as if its even remotely qualifies.

the effort to try to downplay the game in practically every opportunity means its far from forgotten.

i mean infamous (released around the same time) is mentioned even less than titanfall. 99% of games fall off after the first month.

both games are going to get sequels.

yes... but one of them wasn't aimed to be the new COD

CJCW

MAG_%28video_game%29.jpg

I remember some pretty big hype, at least after it was first revealed. Having 256 player online, especially on a console, seemed insane at the time. Sadly I never did get to play it, and with the servers shut down, I never will.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
I'd love for Sega to commission Platinum Games to make a new Vectorman or Ecco the Dolphin.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
BioShock Infinite.

Game had so much potential. Instead its remembered as being inferior to Last of Us and being responsible for shutting the studio down.

This despite the fact its 90+ on metacritic so its not a bad game either.

Anyone who plays Bioshock Infinote and their first thougt is to compare it to TLoU is doing it wrong anyway. Both are among my favorite games, and I've played MANY.

Top Bottom