• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Microsoft executive thought they owned Donkey Kong when they bought RARE

187675_v1.jpg

?

aren't "mushroom zombies" the plot to TLOU

Alphahawk

I always wondered if Rare held some kind of rights to some of their work under Nintendo.

The donkey kong country trilogy got pulled from the virtual console, donkey kong 64 was never put up, and donkey kong country returns had different enemies.

Nintendo published everything up until Banjo Kazooie, so almost certainly not. If Rare still owned the IP, you wouldn't even have a DKCR to begin with.

Misleading title? Misleading title.

Well, let's do some mind work, how could DK be right now? DKCR is bashed by hardcore fans, and doesn't look that bad of a game from my Xboxer point of view (actually I'm not on the +80 metacritic or bust hive mind), so, could it be even more outrageous on Microsoft hands?

Huh? No, it isn't. I've seen plenty of people saying it's the best platformer of Gen 7. Well, 2D platformer, at least.

jtb

Banned
can we put a moratorium on examiner "articles"? they're not even articles, they're not a news site, just shitty, unpaid bloggers shamelessly hit-whoring; all it serves to do is put up yet another layer between the primary source and me. /rant

edit: I see this was already mentioned. but I suppose it bears repeating.

Sponge

Banned
Misleading title? Misleading title.

Well, let's do some mind work, how could DK be right now? DKCR is bashed by hardcore fans, and doesn't look that bad of a game from my Xboxer point of view (actually I'm not on the +80 metacritic or bust hive mind), so, could it be even more outrageous on Microsoft hands?

Yes.

You better believe it could. After what's happened to dozens of Microsoft's studios (including Rare) how could you not think DK would be in worse hands?

Also, Returns is hands down the best Donkey Kong Country and Tropical Freeze looks to top it.

Well, they did make those Panasonic Zelda games. Microsoft owning the rights of a DK game in some fashion wouldn't be totally without precedent. Hell, maybe that's why the DKC games came down from the Virtual Console.

There was always that story that when Microsoft went to buy Nintendo (before Xbox came out), they went to Nintentdo of America :D Not sure how much truth was in that, it was in the Xbox story book...

Eusis

There was always that story that when Microsoft went to buy Nintendo (before Xbox came out), they went to Nintentdo of America :D Not sure how much truth was in that, it was in the Xbox story book...
Admittedly I suppose if it was a drive to the other side of the highway I WOULD try that first before booking tickets to another country.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Well, they did make those Panasonic Zelda games. Microsoft owning the rights of a DK game in some fashion wouldn't be totally without precedent. Hell, maybe that's why the DKC games came down from the Virtual Console.

Neither Rare nor MS own the the Donkey Kong Country games.

However, what is SLIGHTLY plausible is that the presence of the Rare logo in the games requires permission or licensing from MS... I'm not sure if that's what's going on, but I could actually see that being a vague issue -- Nintendo got the rights to reissue titles with the Rare logo until ____.

Again, that's just my speculation, but it makes more sense than anything else I can think of.

kyoya

The big reality is that many video game executives have no clue what IP their employer owns. Case in point, a group of visitors were in a meeting at Atari Interactive in NYC (aka Infogrames), and the topic of what IP Atari owned came up. The Atari executives had no clue they owned the IP to Ocean Software, Beam Software, Accolade, etc, until their visitors (who shall remain nameless) told them.

You want to know why you don't see that certain remake or classic IP get rereleased? Executvies have no idea what they've got.

Neither Rare nor MS own the the Donkey Kong Country games.

However, what is SLIGHTLY plausible is that the presence of the Rare logo in the games requires permission or licensing from MS... I'm not sure if that's what's going on, but I could actually see that being a vague issue -- Nintendo got the rights to reissue titles with the Rare logo until ____.

Again, that's just my speculation, but it makes more sense than anything else I can think of.
It'd probably be insanely easy to just null out the instances of those Rare logos in the game's intros though, and given they topped the VC chart's it's not like Nintendo wouldn't have bothered. My money is on Rare *somehow* still having a stake in the code of the games itself, an agreement Nintendo reached with Microsoft during the buyout but expired after a decade last year.

also after how smashingly well microsoft's handling of rare went, I'm sure them buying Nintendo out in a hypothetical 'everything fucking sucks' universe would've gone similarly well for all involved

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I always wondered if Rare held some kind of rights to some of their work under Nintendo.

The donkey kong country trilogy got pulled from the virtual console, donkey kong 64 was never put up, and donkey kong country returns had different enemies.

The DKC games being removed is mysterious but Rare's DK characters have appeared in various spin-offs and party titles over the years. The Kremlings and K.Rool are in Mario Strikers, Brawl, etc.

Retro didn't use them because they're lame.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
hey maybe retro didn't use them because you're lame did you ever think of that

Don't shoot the messenger. If Retro gave a shit about those guys they'd have been in the new DKC games. The Kremlings are from another era.

Diddy Kong Racing HD on XBLA

*drools*

To be honest, outside of DKCR the DK franchise has been pretty shit since Rare left it and it was only a facsimile of their work that has brought greatness back furry bastard.

Don't shoot the messenger. If Retro gave a shit about those guys they'd have been in the new DKC games. The Kremlings are from another era.
Seriously though while I'm ultimately indifferent about whether they come back or not (though I maintain K. Rool's a hilarious villain whose identity crisis/multiple personality disorder needs to be explored more), I saw the tiki's (who were cool in their own right) as Nintendo compromising on Retro's desire to do something new and let them have more creative liberties with DK than they had with Metroid.

Diddy Kong Racing HD on XBLA

*drools*

To be honest, outside of DKCR the DK franchise has been pretty shit since Rare left it and it was only a facsimile of their work that has brought greatness back furry bastard.
Before Transformed and MK7 I'd of wanted a Diddy Kong Racing 2, but at this point it seems pretty redundant. Jungle Beat and Jungle Climber were great games in an otherwise dumb, gimmicky period of Donkey Kong.

4lejandro

If MS had bought Nintendo, that audience alone would have enabled Rare to make the games they always did. They wouldn't have to be crushed into a Kinect mini games studio.

MS would have had one box with Nintendo support in Japan, Rare, Halo, Xbox Live, and great third party support for stuff like CoD, GTA, and Madden. Could have been interesting.

Maybe, why did Rare split up with Nintendo, anyways?

Top Bottom