• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
Not necessarily. If that was the case, Luffy would ask every person he liked to join his crew.
It's not that simple.

It kind of is. I didn't say that Luffy just takes anyone he likes, I said he takes anyone he likes on a whim. Whims aren't complicated things, it's a momentary desire. If there is some logic that Luffy uses besides "I think this person would be cool to have on my crew" I don't see what it is.

I don't see why that's a problem.
If your idea of contrived coincidence is "things planned by the writer that aren't made up on the fly", then why are you reading or watching...ANY story?

A thing that you're overlooking is that the members that end up joining the crew have a goal that requires them to go out to sea and have a motive, for whatever reason, to board a pirate ship.

I'm not saying writers shouldn't plan things out. Obviously. There is nothing in the post your quoting that remotely implies anything that. What I'm saying is he's set patterns for the crew joining that don't really have a diegetic reason to be there, atleast as far as Luffy's concerned.

Luffy doesn't take on people because they have big dreams of doing something or anything. He mostly just gives them the once over and decides if he wants them on or not. It'd be one thing if characters told Luffy these dreams and Luffy then decided to take them in on that basis, but he just takes them and they just happen to have dreams that require them traveling the sea.

Or the fact that it was hinted in-universe in the second chapter that Luffy wants at least 10 people. It just so happens to line up with the author's interests.
It doesn't take us out of the experience because the number of people the protagonist is interested in gathering is LITERALLY mentioned in the source material.

Yeah, that's not the thing I was addressing though. I agree Luffy stating that he wants 10 crew members is a deigetic reason (even if it's a rather arbitrary one. Why 10 in particular?), but I'm talking about using "He likes soccer, therefore 11 members"

Like, no one else ever does this. No one thinks "Oh, Brandon Sanderson had likes Overwatch, therefore it's reasonable to say his characters are going to meet a ninja character like Genji" or anything. I'm not going to say a blanket statement like all, but the vast majority of theories base their suppositions on the things that happen in the story to predict the things that will happen. And yeah, the theory has some of that going on, but that it's using Oda's habits as a reason for something in story happening brings attention to that it's Oda writing the story.

For me, the basic problem is this: If we were to think of who else is joining based on how Luffy makes his decisions, we don't really have much to go on. Luffy just has to like someone. It doesn't mean they will be picked, just that he happens to like them. To make any kind of meaningful speculation, we have to move back and consider other things, sometimes things that Luffy doesn't even know about today (like the crew's tragic backstories we are shown in flashbacks that are never verbalized). We see if we get a sad flashback chapter of them, or they need to have a dream to leave the island they're on or whatever. None of these are reasons that Luffy invites them, but it's the pattern set, just because Goda made it so.

It's a question that requires me to stop thinking about why Luffy does what he does as a person and just think of the story's tendencies instead. And if you go beyond that and decide that Oda makes his decisions on whatever random thing he happens to take interest in, then that's not even thinking about the story at all. It's just trying to speculate about what Oda does.

That's why I said I don't see how that kind of speculation doesn't take you out of the story. You literally have to think of One Piece as an artificial product, rather than being immersed in the world itself. And it's fine to disagree with me on this, I'm just saying it drives me up the wall. I like to have as few reasons to think of the story as an artificial product as possible.

Ogodei

If we're going for 11, i still think the 11th will be Shirahoshi or an Elbaf giant. You need someone on the scale of San Juan Wolf (although Shirahoshi's tiny compared to him, the seakings would pose a threat).

MiTYH

If we're going for 11, i still think the 11th will be Shirahoshi or an Elbaf giant. You need someone on the scale of San Juan Wolf (although Shirahoshi's tiny compared to him, the seakings would pose a threat).

Nah I see Wolf being taken down David v. Goliath style.

Ray Down

Banned
O wise ray who will Sanji face. I hope not Burgess unless he gets a fruit

Lafitte, because they are both filthy Frenchmen.

I honestly thought the matches would match with the postions/number when they join but it really doesn't match up.

Zoro is the first but Shiliew is the 2nd captain.

So it's not that.

Ogodei

Lafitte, because they are both filthy Frenchmen.

I honestly thought the matches would match with the postions/number when they join but it really doesn't match up.

Zoro is the first but Shiliew is the 2nd captain.

So it's not that.

Lafitte is Brook, the stylistic similarities are too strong.

Franky is probably Pizarro.

I do think that Shirahoshi has at least a tiny chance of joining, still, although it might be a longshot. But I could see something like she gets exposed for being an ancient weapon at the Reverie and leading to some sort of big fight between the government and revolutionary army over her, and she winds up going with the Straw Hats so that they can protect her (and serving a story reason for the government being even more eager to take Luffy down).

I'd probably only put something like that at like a 15% chance right now, though.

I wouldn't really give any other previous character really any chance. They all had their opportunities already.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Bartolomeo.

The real question is who fights Kizaru in the end?
Franky with his beams, duh.

I used to think Ace was a shoe-in to fight Aokiji. Now I don't even know if he's going to be a villain or not.

Ogodei

The way Rebecca's story went and the final bit of the arc with the bird cage dragging out too long.

Pretty much this. Rebecca's story getting hijacked to be all about how awesome of a dad Kyros is rubbed me the wrong way, as well as how much of a jobber she quickly became in the manga (for padding purposes, the anime gave her some more heroic moments after the tournament ended).

My problem with the bird cage wasn't in being dragged out to long, just how ridiculously overpowered it was. Doflamingo's "Press A to win" attack. When even friggin' Fujitora could only slow it down a little, you know you've got a power that's out of line.

Edit: Final complaint is that Robin didn't get a proper fight. Only consolation is that she was the only person who could stop Hakuba (Cavendish's alter ego).

Ray Down

Banned
When you realize we have a chapter this week:

198qj0pvzn5wqgif.gif

So what are your main criticisms regarding the dressrosa arc, opgaf?

1) The poor execution of Kyros and Rebecca's storyline.
- The star of the tragedy is really Kyros, but the way in which Oda introduced it to the reader makes it seem like Rebecca is supposed to be the focus character. Which leads to an underwhelming feeling of missed opportunities, like what Ogodei mentioned.

2) The Namek-like closing of the birdcage and Luffy's 10-minute cooldown.
- Alone, these two aren't so bad, but together, it made the big climax of the arc tedious. Combined, the first time the birdcage starts closing up to Doffy's defeat is about 7 chapters.

3) Burgess wasn't really needed.
- Burgess's only purpose was setting up a reason for him to sneak on the Revolutionary Army ship.

Veelk

Banned
I really think Doflamingo is the best villain thus far, but I really didn't like any of his minions, the whole bird cage thing, the tournament was a false promise never fulfilled, it just draaaaaaagged on a dozen characters I could not care about, Rebecca sucked epically.

Longterm, I'm also not sure I liked that wrecking Doflamingo's shit was basically Law's one goal in life. Now that that's done, what is he going to do from here on as a character? Not to mention that there is a certain cool factor that has been taken away now. When first introduced, I pegged Law, Kid, and Luffy as 3 equals. But now Luffy is firmly established to not only be the stronger of the two, Luffy seems to have taken the lead in their relationship. For all intents and purposes, Law seems to just be another unofficial crew member now, when I wanted him along with Kid to be his equals.

All that said, it's probably atleast one of the arcs I like more than most because Doflamingo elevates it that much.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I really think Doflamingo is the best villain thus far, but I really didn't like any of his minions, the whole bird cage thing, the tournament was a false promise never fulfilled, it just draaaaaaagged on a dozen characters I could not care about, Rebecca sucked epically.
Yeah, I actually agree here. Dressrosa has the weakest cast of supporting villains. I didn't like Senor Pink, Machvisse, Vacuum Girl, or pretty much anyone other than Baby 5, Pica, or Gladius.

Pica's voice gimmick was hilarious though.

Rebecca had this Rurouni Kenshin, I will not kill but still kick ass vibe going on in her introduction, so yeah, I was disappointed with her as well. Kyros/Toy Soldier was cool enough but I didn't like how he stole the spotlight from Rebecca - they could have been cool together!

I really enjoyed Senor Pink (for real), Pica, Gladius, Lao G and Baby 5. Each had their own quirk that they really made their own and felt very One Piece-y.

The most interesting aspect of the Donquixote Family that is overlooked is that their best days are already behind them. In Law's flashback, we saw a younger, more active DQ Pirates that were still kicking ass.
Then they got comfy in Dressrosa and lose their edge.

Stalwart

Tagged. I used to read One Piece in middle school and eventually followed it weekly all the way up until the timeskip where I stopped shortly after because the arc bored me to tears and the series just felt different from what I fell in love with.

Been hearing nothing but positive things lately though and I would like to start "being there" again weekly so I'm rereading the full series with the somewhat recently released color volumes until I catch up. Guess I'll be back to the topic in two months or so.

LotusHD

Banned
Tagged. I used to read One Piece in middle school and eventually followed it weekly all the way up until the timeskip where I stopped shortly after because the arc bored me to tears and the series just felt different from what I fell in love with.

Been hearing nothing but positive things lately though and I would like to start "being there" again weekly so I'm rereading the full series with the somewhat recently released color volumes until I catch up. Guess I'll be back to the topic in two months or so.

We'll still be here!

Welcome to the greatness community on gaf..Give or take

If you don't like Sanji leave

Jay RaR

So what are your main criticisms regarding the dressrosa arc, opgaf?

- Rebecca's character. Initially I was pretty excited to see a woman kicking ass even if her design bothered me. As the arc went on, we learned Rebecca wanted to be a pacifist and was forced to learn how to fight. I could understand not giving her a "big fight" towards the climax of the arc so to speak, but she really just stood around while she watched Kyros fighting her mother's killer and trying to protect her. She kinda reminds me of Vivi only she didnt do as much.

- No Female vs Female fight. This is a bizarre nitpick, but I felt there should at least have been like a wrestling-style match. I was bummed we didn't get one with Rebecca or even how Baby 5 was handled. She had a cool ability that could have rivaled with Usopp but she like Rebecca didn't anything but just stand there waiting to be "taken". I really wanted Robin to get one, but her ability is too OP to have like a prolonged battle.

- Pacing. I might have to reread the arc again sometime, but reading the new chapters week by week seemed to drag on a bit too long. It took like 2 years and what we've seen from this one arc is a stroll in a town, a coliseum tournament, lots of flashbacks, Doflamingo's "game", the climax confrontation, and escape from the Marines.

I love Dressrosa and liked it even more when I re-read it with the Volume releases and the anime.

I did love the arc. It was mostly just the dragged out bird cage bit where I started to feel "okay, I wanted this to end five chapters ago". Aside from that, though, I did think it was a pretty great arc (aside from my disappointments with the whole Rebecca/Kyros thing).

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Anime has been in recap mode last couple episodes.

Shout out to Drum Island arc.

I'm surprised Toei actually included Wapol's cover story in the latest episode. I have no idea why Toei never adapted the majority of cover stories, especially since most of them come back in some way.
Jango & Fullbody reappear in Alabasta
Hatchan, Camie, and Pappaug reappear in Sabaody
Wapol's story introduces Wapometal, which Franky uses in the General Franky
Miss Goldenweek's story shows how the top four male members of BW got arrested.
You just know Enel's story is going to come back in a big way, same with Caribou's story.
And the Poneglyph Jinbe found ended up with Big Mom.

SolVanderlyn

mfA1zeb.jpg

I'm surprised Toei actually included Wapol's cover story in the latest episode. I have no idea why Toei never adapted the majority of cover stories, especially since most of them come back in some way.
Jango & Fullbody reappear in Alabasta
Hatchan, Camie, and Pappaug reappear in Sabaody
Wapol's story introduces Wapometal, which Franky uses in the General Franky
Miss Goldenweek's story shows how the top four male members of BW got arrested.
You just know Enel's story is going to come back in a big way, same with Caribou's story.
And the Poneglyph Jinbe found ended up with Big Mom.
They finally adapted another cover story?? :O :O :O

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
They finally adapted another cover story?? :O :O :O

Yep. It's mostly still frames and only a couple minutes long, BUT IT'S SOMETHING!
Most of the whole episode was a recap of Drum Island, along with more Carrot on the ship and a peek at Dressrosa. Next week is Kaido's freakout.

Looking back, the Wapol cover story was published during the early parts of Skypiea. That was ages ago.

SolVanderlyn

I wonder if they did that to get ready for his appearance at Reverie.

I still can't believe we had an arbitrary 10 minute stall on the final fight of Dressrosa. Haki - willpower - needs to be replenished like a stamina bar in a videogame. I get that Luffy burns through a lot of stamina, but the best One Piece moments are when he's at (or past) his limit and pushes through regardless. Totally killed the pacing for me.

Ray Down

Banned
Yep. It's mostly still frames and only a couple minutes long, BUT IT'S SOMETHING!
Most of the whole episode was a recap of Drum Island, along with more Carrot on the ship and a peek at Dressrosa. Next week is Kaido's freakout.

I wonder why they don't animate the cover stories.

Who? never heard of that person

Hasn't stopped Veeik

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=557156

Welcome to the greatness community on gaf..Give or take

If you don't like Sanji leave

onepiece848_2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom