• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One-Way ticket to Mars....sign up NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll go be a Mars cop. I'll be like Sean Connery in Outland.

8529-19864.gif

I bet someone will take over the group and run his own dictatorship on Mars.

The company recommends that you don't have sex until they have a huge established colony there just in case a woman gets pregnant there.

Oh dammit, I was going to have so many sexual intercourse activities with all of the female lady peoples.

this guy

Do I have high hopes that this company will succeed in their goals? No, but another company certainly will in the near future if NASA doesn't.

Am I old enough to currently satisfy their age requirements for potential applicants? No.

Am I currently qualified enough to be selected by these guys? Hell no.

Would I sign up for this in a heartbeat anyway? Yes.

brb travelling the Earth so I can appreciate its beauty from afar on Mars without losing my sanity wondering what I missed out on.

Awesome

Banned
The big problem I read was the amount of radiation your body would be absorbing while on Mars and getting their, so that would be another problem if they go through with this.

RJT

"Joining up with Mars One is probably the most cost-effective way you'll ever set foot on Mars. After all, buying a round-trip ticket to Mars from space tourism company Space X will cost you $500,000."

I'm gonna need a source for that ridiculously low number.

That sentence is false, but based on an actual quote. Elon Musk, CEO of Space X, has said that he expects that in about 15 years a travel to Mars would cost under half a million dollars. In no way he is saying that it is guaranteed, he's just saying he thinks it is possible.

Link to an actual news piece about it: http://thenextweb.com/shareables/20...uld-cost-500k-by-2029-and-we-want-to-believe/

Sign me up! Easy way to get into the history books.

(This will never happen. What a cockermania idea. A colony on the moon would be a more feasible idea)

iamblades

I'd take a one way trip, but I wouldn't be on the first boat. I want to know theres at least a decent chance I'll make it there alive.

As soon as I land on the planet and I'm killing everyone else that came with me and claiming the planets for myself. This is a perfect opportunity to build a society based on my ideas.

Mars will be Best Earth. I will build giant robots and start a war with earth.

Joking aside, that would actually be really interesting...

You would be the only person on the planet...it would essentially be yours. Admittedly you'd be insanely lonely after a while and you'd pretty much be screwed, but still. Imagine the feeling of having the entire planet to yourself.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
How good will the internet be?

See from the FAQ:

There will be some communication and media limitations, due to the distance between Earth and Mars, resulting in time delays: they will have to request the movies or news broadcasts they want to see in advance. If an astronaut would like to watch the Super Bowl, he or she can request it, and it would be uploaded to the server on Mars. There will always be a time delay of at least three minutes, so the people on Mars will know who won a few minutes after the people on Earth. Hopefully this slight delay will not spoil their enjoyment of our ‘Earth sports’.

Easy Internet access will be limited to their preferred sites that are constantly updated on the local Mars web server. Other websites will take between 6 and 45 minutes to appear on their screen - first 3-22 minutes for your click to reach Earth, and then another 3-22 minutes for the website data to reach Mars. Contacting friends at home is possible by video, voice or text message (e-mail, WhatsApp, sms), but real time dialogue is not possible, because of the time delay.

Joking aside, that would actually be really interesting...

You would be the only person on the planet...it would essentially be yours. Admittedly you'd be insanely lonely after a while and you'd pretty much be screwed, but still. Imagine the feeling of having the entire planet to yourself.

I'd hate it after 1 day. But the thought of starting out with one woman and repopulating an entire planet with my AAA sperm would be amazing.

This is crazy. A whole generation has forgotten what it means to be incommunicable or severely delayed in communications. Pick up your phone, dial, and you speak with someone at the other side of the world with no problems what so ever.
But on Mars? Everyone will rely on each other, and vintage snail mail mannerisms will return.

just use space condoms

If it's a one way trip that is going to be televised, I would sterilize the entire crew, and successive missions until wave 2 or 3 establishes the proper child rearing infrastructure.

Arcteryx

This is crazy. A whole generation has forgotten what it means to be incommunicable or severely delayed in communications. Pick up your phone, dial, and you speak with someone at the other side of the world with no problems what so ever.
But on Mars? Everyone will rely on each other, and vintage snail mail mannerisms will return.

Meh, I'd be fine with that. Just use pre-recorded videos to chat back and forth.

DJ88

Perfect for someone who is already planning on killing themselves. Might as well do it in the most awesome way possible.

Phoenix

i think this should be offered to convicts as an alternative.

Neo Australia

But should only be offered to those with a death sentence. Anyone else wouldn't be properly "motivated".

"Go and make the planet inhabitable and if you survive for 5 years, then you can return with your debt to society cleansed". Its like the new Running Man.

Gary Whitta don't steal my idea damnit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom