• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnePlus 6 Official Thread | Releases 5/22 (10AM EST) $529/64GB, $579/128GB, $629/256GB

OnePlus-6-4.jpg

Specs:

Specs

- 6.2in 2280x1080 Full Optic AMOLED 19:9 display
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 with 8GB LPDDR4X RAM
- 64GB, 128GB or 256GB storage
- Dual 16MP (f/1.7) and 20MP cameras with OIS, Advanced HDR
- 16MP front-facing camera with 'Portrait Mode'
- Rear-mounted fingerprint scanner, Face Unlock
- Android 8.1 Oreo with OxygenOS
- USB-C, 3.5mm headphone jack
- Cat 16 LTE support
- Midnight Black, Mirror Black, Silk White colour options

Reviews

Engadget "A big step closer to the perfect smartphone" https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/21/oneplus-6-review/

Pocketnow "This is the one" http://pocketnow.com/2018/05/21/oneplus-6-review-is-this-really-the-one-video

Android Authority "The spiritual successor to the Nexus" https://www.androidauthority.com/oneplus-6-review-864739/

The Verge "New phone, same compromises" https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/21/17369956/oneplus-6-review-phone-android-phone-price-specs

The Tech Chap "Phone of the year?"

Android Central "Best Budget Flagship?"

Save $20 on accessories when you purchase the phone https://www.oneplus.com/invite#VN0ZNNSFWEQZDUS

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I have nothing to contribute to this thread other than I saw LTT's quality control floor overview and thought it was a really neat look into things (ignore the clickbait title from LTT):

It makes me wonder how this process looks at other companies. Like is this an impressive amount of QC, or just the industry standard for QC? Either way, a really cool video.

Last edited:
I have nothing to contribute to this thread other than I saw LTT's quality control floor overview and thought it was a really neat look into things (ignore the clickbait title from LTT):

It makes me wonder how this process looks at other companies. Like is this an impressive amount of QC, or just the industry standard for QC? Either way, a really cool video.

Seems pretty crazy, especially the tumble machine. OnePlus phones have generally been the highest rated by JerryRigEverything though so they definitely seem to do more durability testing than other companies or have stricter standards.

Just a heads up, 2 more hours until available. Recommend trying to order immediately at 10am est as the European launch was a madhouse.

AlexUk

Neo Member
So, apart from small differences with the S9+, how is the camera actually comparing with samsung's top ?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
So, apart from small differences with the S9+, how is the camera actually comparing with samsung's top ?

Watch this video and see for yourself!

AlexUk

Neo Member

Watch this video and see for yourself!

haha awesome, I started feeling from the middle of the video that A and E would be S9+ and OnePlus6, didn't knew which would be which however (leaned towards S9+ being E however, it's an amazing camera)

Got mine. 8gb 128 Mirror black. Should be arriving Friday. My first OnePlus since the original. Giving my LG G6 to my son. Can't wait!

Paasei

Getting myself one a little later, probably in August or something. I want the midnight black or the white one that comes out soon.
Currently going around with a Oneplus 3T, so an upgrade is not necessary yet. It's just a luxury thing for me.

Pejo

Was spending a lot of time deciding on this phone or the S9+, ultimately got the 256GB version of the Oneplus. Sucks that 256 only came in one color, I kinda liked the glossy black one, ah well. Ordered in the morning fairly close to release and my estimated delivery date is the 30th. Not terrible I guess. The camera and no expandable storage are still my 2 biggest gripes with Oneplus, but the price and performance overall won me over. Excited to get this guy and try it out. Which case are you guys going with?

octiny

Banned
Mine is being delivered tomorrow. Got the mirror black 128GB version, wish they had the 256GB in mirror black.

Gonna rock the stock gel case until I find a good one with a clear back/black rubber edges.

Was spending a lot of time deciding on this phone or the S9+, ultimately got the 256GB version of the Oneplus. Sucks that 256 only came in one color, I kinda liked the glossy black one, ah well. Ordered in the morning fairly close to release and my estimated delivery date is the 30th. Not terrible I guess. The camera and no expandable storage are still my 2 biggest gripes with Oneplus, but the price and performance overall won me over. Excited to get this guy and try it out. Which case are you guys going with?
Gonna wait for Spigen. Meant to order a case when ordering from OnePlus, but forgot. Remind that you get $20 off a case from OnePlus with this coupon https://www.oneplus.com/invite#VN0ZNNSFWEQZDUS

Pejo

Just got my shipping info this morning, estimated date of arrival moved from next Weds to tomorrow by 8PM. Sometimes I love living in California. Can't wait to get this phone and try it out.

manfestival

I remember when the One plus was touted as a mid range wonder device at $300. Now it is $500+ while moto is the only company that has remained loyal to its pricing program.

n0razi

No waterproofing and lack of wireless charging in 2018 is kind of a letdown, especially at the new flagship pricing

Last edited:

MastAndo

Looks pretty sweet, but l think I'll still just be picking up the S9+ as my new phone - HDR, decent speaker quality, SD card slot and wireless charging are features I would like my phone to have at this point.

Last edited:

Fnord

No waterproofing and lack of wireless charging in 2018 is kind of a letdown, especially at the new flagship pricing

It has waterproofing. They just didn't get it certified. Don't know why for sure. I'd imagine it's a cost thing. I've actually seen a YouTube video where someone dropped the OP6 in a pan of water and fished it back out with no problems. They've put some kind of waterproof foam around the edges and silicone or rubber seals on the ports. Should be fine in most common wet situations. As for wireless charging, I'd never use it. Dash charging is just SO fast.

It has waterproofing. They just didn't get it certified. Don't know why for sure. I'd imagine it's a cost thing. I've actually seen a YouTube video where someone dropped the OP6 in a pan of water and fished it back out with no problems. They've put some kind of waterproof foam around the edges and silicone or rubber seals on the ports. Should be fine in most common wet situations. As for wireless charging, I'd never use it. Dash charging is just SO fast.
Yeah probably too expensive to certify. For some reason Chinese phones never have wireless charging. They almost never have 1440p displays either.

Pejo

Mine's out for delivery. DHL wouldn't let me pre-sign for the package, so i'm about 99% sure I'm going to miss the delivery since I'm at work.

Fnord

Got mine yesterday afternoon. Got everything moved over from the OP5 and really digging the new phone. That screen is HUGE.

Hotspurr

Banned
I got mine yesterday. Very nice phone. The screen goes all the way to the edges like other flagships and the notch is small and generally unobtrusive.

The camera is very good and often outperforms other flagships from what I've seen in online comparisons. Unless you're a pixel peeper you won't be able to tell the difference.

I got my partner the one plus 5 and was very impressed with it as well. If you want flagship performance with a pure Android experience without paying flagship prices then this brand is the phone for you. The only downsides I see is potential issues with customer support in RMA and repair cases (though we had an OP5 drop and screen break and the entire repair was around 100 USD shipping included).

If you have a 1 year old phone, especially the OP5, I would wait. If you're thinking of upgrading a phone that's 2-3 years old I would say go for it. Make sure to check out their referral and student programs for some discounts.

highrider

Banned
Looking around, I don’t think you’re going to do better than this for the price. It’s a great phone, and you’re going to get a pixelesque experience lol, because it’s a smooth, stock device with minimal bloat and the latest jammy processor. Floss approved.

dcll

Banned
The price is steady creeping, if I am going to spend this much I would rather buy a used Note 8, Pixel XL 2 or S9 + for probably not much more. I have had the original and the 3, I like their phones but the price is getting higher and higher and you most certainly have to settle on a few things.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Too expensive for a pentile amoled yet again.
I dont trust reviewers when they say the pentile screen looks sharp. I seen the 5T and the screen looks murky compared to samsung's amoled.

Fnord

The price is steady creeping, if I am going to spend this much I would rather buy a used Note 8, Pixel XL 2 or S9 + for probably not much more. I have had the original and the 3, I like their phones but the price is getting higher and higher and you most certainly have to settle on a few things.

The prices of other phones has kept creeping up, as well.

Pejo

I'm pretty happy with my phone. It isn't as big of an upgrade from the 3T as I was hoping, but at least I have more than 64GB to work with now. It's very fast, the screen looks great, the camera is ok (better than 3T for sure) It doesn't have the "wow" factor of an S8+/S9+, and I actually miss the fingerprint sensor being on the front, but I guess this is the price I pay for a bigger screen. Speaker is actually worse than the 3T which is surprising. Overall though, I'm happy.

This is the first time I used NFC to transfer data between phones, it was totally painless. Very cool feature.

Makariel

I just bought the 3T last year and it's fast enough for everything I need. So no need to upgrade at this point. I have the 128GB version, which is 34% full, maybe I upgrade one I run out of storage ;)

Pejo

I just bought the 3T last year and it's fast enough for everything I need. So no need to upgrade at this point. I have the 128GB version, which is 34% full, maybe I upgrade one I run out of storage ;)
Yea, as the owner of a 6, I agree with your assessment. I was at the point that I constantly had to delete pics/apps, so for me the upgrade was needed. Still miffed they don't just add a MicroSD slot. Plus having to pick up the phone to unlock via fingerprint makes me sad, lol.

I'm pretty happy with my phone. It isn't as big of an upgrade from the 3T as I was hoping, but at least I have more than 64GB to work with now. It's very fast, the screen looks great, the camera is ok (better than 3T for sure) It doesn't have the "wow" factor of an S8+/S9+, and I actually miss the fingerprint sensor being on the front, but I guess this is the price I pay for a bigger screen. Speaker is actually worse than the 3T which is surprising. Overall though, I'm happy.

This is the first time I used NFC to transfer data between phones, it was totally painless. Very cool feature.
Apparently the speaker issue is software related and will be fixed. People said it sounded much better before this last update.

Top Bottom