• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnePlus one officially announced! 299$ 16GB, 350$ 64GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikodemos

Specs are great and price is awesome. Unfortunately, bottom-facing speakers kinda defeat the purpose of stereo speakers. Which is why I'm still thinking about the M8.

Pooya

The company tried materials such as stainless steel and aluminum for the One, but with a weight of 198g and 175g, respectively, was unacceptable. As a result, the team chose magnesium for the build of the phone and it brings down the weight of the phone to 162 grams

it's not plastic either, damn nice...

rezuth

Wonder if they're aiming to sell at production cost just to gain market share. The pricing is beyond aggressive.

Guerilla

Wonder if they're aiming to sell at production cost just to gain market share. The pricing is beyond aggressive.

They probably won't waste hundreds of millions trying to brainwash their customers through marketing or try to make huge profits so they can offer a great product with a good price. This price isn't something amazing if you're familiar with chinese phones: http://www.to2c.com/

Pooya

350? How??

dogecoin money!

oneplus-pete-lau-una-office.jpg

sohois

So, it's just a Chinese smartphone being released in the West, right down to the price.

There are plenty of chinese smartphone manufacturers releasing androids with top of the line specs, at a fraction of the price of a Samsung or Apple phone - Xiaomi, Oppo, Meizu, Coolpad, Jiayu and dozens more of tiny manufacturers

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
2big4me but looks kind of nice in this photo

LyecQqE.jpg

"We want to be the MUJI of the tech industry, this is our direction," Lau said, while praising the Japanese lifestyle brand's simple yet well-made products. He added that in China, MUJI is a bit expensive for the local young consumers, so he aims to deliver MUJI quality at a lower price.

Muji isn't expensive at all, but good goal, I guess!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Finally, a company that passes on the savings of near slave labor onto the consumers.

numble: Since Google isn't popular in China, how will this phone fare? Strange the company went this way. I get it for global but maybe there's a unique Chinese edition?

markot

Banned
Finally, a company that passes on the savings of near slave labor onto the consumers.

numble: Since Google isn't popular in China, how will this phone fare? Strange the company went this way. I get it for global but maybe there's a unique Chinese edition?

There will be versions without google for the chinese market.

SyNapSe

Wish there was a 4.7 or 4.8 inch version. Have they announced if there is any kind of upgrade path? I'm assuming there won't be any upgrades.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
-Power off Alarm

megaton.

And I'm not being sarcastic. Loved this feature on my old Nokia phones, but these days you need your phone on overnight which means on the charger, or in flight mode if you don't want to be disturbed.

Being able to switch it off and still have the alarm is fantastic. Especially for business travel when you're in a weird timezone and don't want to be disturbed overnight.

the rest of the specs look nice enough. double tap to wake is nice, have that on my Lumia 920 and pretty much never use the lock button.

edit: with the nice white design and wood covers, this would be a perfect phone for my wife. But 5.5" kills it (I'd still buy it though). She really wants no bigger than 4" - iphone size. Seems like a dying market.

Rafy

and with an invite only/get a friend to invite you launch, that sounds perfect to build word of mouth and get it marketed for free by news sites etc.

Yeah, the only thing is that it's gonna be tough to get it at launch. I really hope they send us a sample to review. I'll email them in the afternoon.

Anon67

Man, I thought this was a Microsoft product because of the "one" in the name. Dang. But it looks cool, though.

asdad123

I was going to purchase a used note 3 for about $450 this week, but if this is close to release, fuck it. Ill get this.

I know it says Q2, but any expected month?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
megaton.

And I'm not being sarcastic. Loved this feature on my old Nokia phones, but these days you need your phone on overnight which means on the charger, or in flight mode if you don't want to be disturbed.

Being able to switch it off and still have the alarm is fantastic. Especially for business travel when you're in a weird timezone and don't want to be disturbed overnight.

A software solution is far superior to this. I'd rather keep the phone on for emergencies and dictate which calls get through.

KNT-Zero

Has a really good price, but there are a few issues with it...

- It's HUGE. I have a Galaxy Nexus (who I need to replace) that is roughly 4.65 inches and fits in my pocket just fine. 5.5 inches? Damn, I might need new pants.

- The battery is not detachable (according to this hands-on preview) so considering it's a device only sold online, it's kinda sketchy; what will you do if the battery breaks down and you can't replace it, send it back to China? :/

Not gonna lie, I love the concept of the phone, but I'm gonna wait until some reviews come in.

Rafy

Has a really good price, but there are a few issues with it...

- It's HUGE. I have a Galaxy Nexus (who I need to replace) that is roughly 4.65 inches and fits in my pocket just fine. 5.5 inches? Damn, I might need new pants.

- The battery is not detachable (according to this hands-on preview) so considering it's a device only sold online, it's kinda sketchy; what will you do if the battery breaks down and you can't replace it, send it back to China? :/

Not gonna lie, I love the concept of the phone, but I'm gonna wait until some reviews come in.

they have warehouses in each region they are releasing for faster shipping and to avoid customs, so no you will not have to ship it back to China. Also since it's being sold to the EU too they will have to have a 2 year warranty in place (in case you are in Europe).

iJudged

Banned
Omg this is insane. Canceled my sony xperia z ultra order just now... Waiting for this fucking thing.... Wow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom