• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating is Hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been playing games regularly for almost 20 years (christ, I'm old) now and I don't think I've ever done it for 8 hours straight

You're missing out, man...

I don't do it SUPER often, but here and there still. The Last Guardian i beat a month or two ago in one sitting, that was over 8. Prior to that it was probably a couple of Destiny raids.

Best one to date was beating RE4 in one shot. Now that was with a friend though, took turns playing. It still ended up being a ridiculous amount of time to complete it. ( i want to say 15+ hours??)

I find it fun to dedicate a day to gaming here and there... It's like a holiday!

edit: And, on topic, the females i was dating during those long sessions never had a problem with it. I've never hid the fact that I'm a gamer and sometimes spend more than normal amounts of time playing, ha.

Vazduh

I'm pretty sure if you identify so strongly as a gamer, you're also a loser :p

I can honestly say that I've been asked 1,000,000 times why I play games.
And I normally just shrug and say "It's a hobby".
But that's a lie.
Because when I'm in game I'm at home.
From the flames of Catacylsm to the icy mountains of Tamriel.
Anywhere I venture is the place I love and know.
My entire life people preached that I could be anything that I wanted to be.
But when I told them that I wanted to be the Captain of a ship...
A SPACE ship...
THE space ship that saves humanity...
That I wanted to be Commander Shepherd...
They told me I need to get a grip on reality.
And to them a grip on reality means the American dream.
Working 9-5 crammed up in a tiny cubicle, having 2.5 kids, a two-storey suburban house and a white picket fence.
I'd divorce once and I'd have debt into my early 30s because I took some bullshit university degree that's supposed to help me in the end.
This isn't reality - this is just a dull outlook on it.
Now I understand it's human nature to attain greatness, but I can do that as Commander Shepherd.
I don't need a degree.
And if I want to go on an adventure I don't ever have to leave the comfort of my own home.
Yet people spend an entire salary to travel and I can't help but laugh.
I've single-handedly stopped a reign of ancient Wyverns from destroying a nation - but before I could do that I had to learn their language, become a master in swordsmanship, smithing, archery, defense, magic, speech, hunting and thieving.
Not to mention I had to take down an entire fleet of assassins along with a brigade of smugglers before I could even start my lessons in Dragonspeak.
I've always enjoyed an adventure but I hated pawning my limbs to afford an 18 hour car ride.
And aside from being told I can enjoy a white picket fence at the end of my career all my years as a student was a balance between fractal formulas and believing I'd never be able to love.
Which is literal insanity.
I've saved Princess Peach.
I wanted to be 'the guy' and I became 'the guy'.
I saved Bandage Girl and I've been Link for generations just to save Princess Zelda.
But yet I'm the 'eternal virgin'.
I'm the guy who's 'never going love'.
And sometimes this shit doesn't make sense to me.
Why people assume that I need to be out doing something and away from home to have fun when I have my own reality grasped between my hands.
I have my own world at my fingertips.
If I screw something up I can rewind time.
I can't do that in real life but when I'm in game I'm free to do what I please when I please.
I'm free to enjoy things the way I want to.
I can build my own kindom and lead my people to freedom because I'm the mind behind the game.
I'm the one who enjoys these games.
I am a gamer and I always will be.

Ay papi tell me more!

lzRSbbh.gif

One time I missed like 3 days of school because I faked sick to stay home and play Asherons Call 2 for 3 days straight. I probably slept for an hour or 2 each night. Probably my longest binge.

A lot of the girls I meet think its "cute" that I like videogames. But its probably because its not all that I do. It is like my favorite thing tho.

JaseMath

I'm pretty sure if you identify so strongly as a gamer, you're also a loser :p

Cringe YouTube video.

*criiiiinge*

From my experience, Tinder>Bumble>OKC>POF.

POF and OKC are pretty awful.

I've had a few success in person, though. It's actually quite easier, too. All I do is bring up how nice my ass is and they're smitten.
Tinder's for hook-ups, though, isn't it? Never heard of Bumble, and I have no idea what POF is.

You're missing out, man...

I don't do it SUPER often, but here and there still. The Last Guardian i beat a month or two ago in one sitting, that was over 8. Prior to that it was probably a couple of Destiny raids.

Best one to date was beating RE4 in one shot. Now that was with a friend though, took turns playing. It still ended up being a ridiculous amount of time to complete it. ( i want to say 15+ hours??)

I find it fun to dedicate a day to gaming here and there... It's like a holiday!

edit: And, on topic, the females i was dating during those long sessions never had a problem with it. I've never hid the fact that I'm a gamer and sometimes spend more than normal amounts of time playing, ha.
Neither do I—I think I've only done it a handful of times in my life. But I have done it and, honestly, I don't have a problem with doing it on occasion so long as it doesn't take priority over real life priorities.

Online dating doesn't work unless your attractive and photogenic. It's why I don't really both with it.
I've always seen online dating as a more vain extension of social media You're not wrong, though.

The only success I ever had with "online dating" was when facebook was only for universities and I messaged a random girl who I ended up dating for a few years lol.

I have not met somebody from online dating in the 2 years I have used it lol.

I'm such a loser :( lol.

maxcriden

Tinder's for hook-ups, though, isn't it? Never heard of Bumble, and I have no idea what POF is.

I think Tinder is historically for hook-ups, yeah, but I know someone who met their longterm partner on there. So it does happen. I also know someone who met their spouse on POF (plenty of fish) and I think someone else I know maybe met a significant other on there.

I'm starting to believe it actually makes dating too easy.

Where do you guys go to meet girls that aren't all over social media? You know, the kind of girls who have an aura of mystery to them - a bit like your favourite Dark Souls game.
What sort of hobbies/interests would I have to fake to get into social circles where the type of girl described above is common?

What aura of mystery?

Your are mystifying women. They are everywhere. There's no secret club where cool women go. They are like us. Some are jackassses, others are cool. Treat them normally, be active and you will meet them. Eventually you meet a nice gal.

Ej9iqpH.png

Goddammit.

To think that online dating used to be seen as for losers. In any case, answering those questions on OKC are counterproductive. The more time you put in, the less you get out of it. A good picture will trump all those questions, so if you want to put time into something, put it in your album.

mike6467

Tinder and Bumble have been fine for me. I put critical info in my profile, which weeds out the women who have photos of them holding a gun/bible that I miss. Giving more specific info definitely led to more meaningful matches.

I've never seen either of those as hook up apps, maybe because I found out about them through a good friend of mine who met his girlfriend on there. I also never treated it as such, and have never opened with explicit texts/dick pics/propositions, maybe I'd have a different view if I'd been actively asking for sex, but so far I've had luck getting legit dates on both those services.

I definitely prefer those, honestly OKCupid seemed to have too many check mark people. The people who have their list of dealbreakers and you get tossed out if you don't meet them. "Unsure on kids? I can't have that type of indecisiveness in my life!"

I'm 6'2" but I have friends under 6' who just don't bother because most women will filter them out immediately.

Tinder/Bumble at least allows for some mystery, and if there is actual chemistry once you meet up, people are a whole lot more likely to overlook their lists.

Don't you have to be, like, hot for those services to work, though?

I've posted pics of myself on GAF. I'm 6'1, and have a decent body, and dress nice. Face wise I think I'm average. I get I have nice eyes and dimples. I don't think I'm photogenic at all, which is why I'm shocked I get a decent amount of matches, but not a lot. I'm fairly confident if I had better pics I'd get more matches.

As for my profile it's mainly bullet points about my job, hobbies, and interests while being witty/funny with my words. I've had a few women say they they found my profile funny (in a good way).

AnAnole

I've probably gotten 500 matches in the past year. Of those, maybe 100 led to any conversation. Of those, 20 or so led to actual dates. Of those, 5 had follow up dates. Girls are extremely fickele in online dating because it's so easy to look for someone better (and there always will be someone better). I love how the 2 girls who I hooked up with said tgey we'rent looking for a hook up but then said that's exactly what they were looking for. I'm not sure what I'm ranting about but I think online dating is kind of a sham because it obviates the natural sequence of how relationships really develop so every interaction that stems from an online date always feels incredibly tenuous, even if there is some kind of connection upon meeting. Wheras irl if two people connect there's a feeling of actually wanting to be together.

KAL2006

Banned
Most girls I've met want more than that to be honest.

Granted I'm from the UK so it maybe slightly different here.

I'm from UK as well and you are correct sir. I wanted hookups and all I get is girls who want long term relationships. I guess hookups work the most in nights out but I'm not really into going out clubbing these days. I've had probably 300 matches and have only got 4 hookups out of those.

jwk94

Haha that's the paradox always, isn't it? I hear that argument all the time, even if most of it is not very serious or ill spirited, and I have many times presented the netflix comparison and they ALWAYS get like " yeah but- hmm- no that's- look, it's different. IT JUST IS. END OF DISCUSSION.

Yeah, it doesn't really make much sense. You could argue that Netflix is inherently more social, but I don't really know too many people who aren't gaming online on something nowadays. I mean, you're even doing something while you're gaming, rather than just watching Netflix or having it on in the background.

Tinder is for sex really though.

POF, at least in my area, is full of women with kids looking for a guy to play dad.
I'd agree with what Jason said. Recently I've gotten more dates with tinder and bumble than okcupid, pof, match. And several women I've met are looking for more than a hookup on tinder. I haven't gotten a date on OKC in a while (and yes POF is for single moms looking for a dad and have usually just a high school education lol, glad I'm not the only person who noticed this). I think match has single moms that have their shit together though career wise, so I don't mind that.

Just in general combing through profiles on match, okcupid, etc, takes a lot of time and I've barely had any hits with all that effort, so reading someone's short blurb on tinder and then meeting up and discussing interests with them feels like a better use of time...

Breakage

What aura of mystery?

Your are mystifying women. They are everywhere. There's no secret club where cool women go. They are like us. Some are jackassses, others are cool. Treat them normally, be active and you will meet them. Eventually you meet a nice gal.
You're misreading what I said. I'm not mystifying women. I'm talking about women that have an element of mystery to them as opposed to ones that dump their entire lives on Facebook and Instagram. Women that are low-profile and "private" seem to be few and far between these days. I was wondering what kind of circles women with those attributes are likely to be in.

Izayoi

Banned
Plenty of Fish deleted my wife and my profile, because it's "only for single people" and then sent us to Ashley Madison.

What the fuck kind of condescending bullshit is that?

Back to Tinder, I guess. (Bumble sounds interesting too...)

Dabanton

DL'ed Bumble just to see. Is it like the single mom app? Not complaining...all apps should fill a niche.

From my experience the woman I've met off Bumble are usually professional career women usually 27 and upwards. There are single moms on there just like Tinder.

Bumble gives women a bit more control as they have to swipe you and they have to message you first. If you match they have 24 hours to message you or they disappear so from my POV someone has to make an effort to message you.

I've used Bumble and I've found it amusing that even on there you can tell how many women are not used to making the first move.

ATF487

Tinder's for hook-ups, though, isn't it?

I feel like it might have been originally, but now it's just a normal dating app. Loads of people have "not interested in hookups" in their info.

It's a minor disappointment for me, I feel like it's easier to make real conversation on coffee meets bagel or ok cupid since there's more information available. I wanted tinder to be a hookup app since all you basically get to go off of is your attraction and maybe some emojis about things they're interested in

rekameohs

Banned
I feel like it might have been originally, but now it's just a normal dating app. Loads of people have "not interested in hookups" in their info.

It's a minor disappointment for me, I feel like it's easier to make real conversation on coffee meets bagel or ok cupid since there's more information available. I wanted tinder to be a hookup app since all you basically get to go off of is your attraction and maybe some emojis about things they're interested in
It might not be a standard opinion, but I actually like the apps where you're not given too much info about one other until talking. Not a completely blank one, mind you, but just a genuine question of where some exotic picture was taken is often a good segue into a conversation, then the interests and whatnot will naturally fall into place. Simply asking questions about each other lives is an easy way to get to know someone, and more fun to me than scouring some profile. It'll be pretty clear who wants hookups or not, so then pick whomever is on your side of the fence there!

I have yet to come across a girl who hates that I play videogames. I just don't put it up as the only thing I'm into. It'll be along with hiking, cycling, movies, comic books, politics, etc. So later on when we get to chatting, they'll ask "so what you up to?" and I'll just play "oh playing a videogame", then they'll ask which one. Then I mention the most interesting aspect of it ("you play as a black man fighting against racists mainly"). They'll be interested. Mention they played some NES or arcade game they played as a kid, and they haven't tried them since but wouldn't mind. And then I tell them how far gaming has come since Super Mario World, of course!
/s

Don't get fooled by this though, plenty of people use the "no ons" just in case they pop up in a friends tinder list.

It's very much a hookup app.

Metroxed

Online dating doesn't work unless your attractive and photogenic. It's why I don't really both with it.

Same here. In my case add the fact that I'm short and we have the recipe for online dating failure. That's why I've never even tried, it's really not for me.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Fuck online dating, it's full of fake profiles and people who aren't even on it to get dates. Fuck everything about online dating.

Had a great time with it when I was single, and met my soon to be wife on there.

Maybe online dating isn't the problem...

Friggz

I think Tinder is historically for hook-ups, yeah, but I know someone who met their longterm partner on there. So it does happen. I also know someone who met their spouse on POF (plenty of fish) and I think someone else I know maybe met a significant other on there.

I actually met my wife on plenty of fish also. A fellow gaffer is who recommended the site to me.

Spuck-uk

Banned

What aura of mystery?

Best advice ever. Putting women on some sort of fake pedestal is creepy and weird.

SomTervo

I don't really consider online dating "dating". It's a good link-up but you're not really "dating" until facetime has taken place. And most of the time online stuff is for hooking up, not linking up.

Re telling people you play games, be serious about it. If you show that it's a serious hobby, not just like wasting time on multiplayer (like the majority of people who play games apparently) you will show some depth about it. Also mention how it compares to stuff they might like. A good one to mention is Life Is Strange, like a high school time-travel drama.

I usually frankly explain that I don't often play action games and I'm more in it for the story, and that usually puts people on the back foot immediately. They're like "they have stories".

weird people think bumble is the single mom app now. in my experience

POF - single mom and trash mania, however has the most people. good ones are rare but they get so many messages. one girl i dated off their would get multiple hundreds of messages daily. so kind of a needle in a haystack thing, can be discouraging, but also can work

tinder - not really just hookups, a good mix, arguably the best overall selection of women (i think it's worth paying for bc super likes really help a ton, although they've recently lowered the amount you get per day , used to refresh every 12 hours, now its 24 for me). the sheer amount of fake profiles you have to swipe through though makes it a frustrating daily browse. also the rate they charge for subscriptions is based on demographics. it's cheaper in some cities. doubles in price once you hit 30 (!!!)

okc - the best overall free option really, since it tends to have robust profiles and people tend to put up a lot of pics, and can link to their instagram like on tinder. doesn't get nearly as many new profiles as tinder/bumble/pof does though, which is a bit of a knock, since 'new profiles' are always your best bet on dating sites (the best apples get picked quickly). backend is frustrating though, they cherry pick which profiles get action; it's possible to get put into 'filtered' messages just based on your messaging frequency/history, i had this happen with a profile where women simply flat out did not get my messages in their inbox, a 'shadow ban', if you will. it's also screwy with who it shows you in search. do this - search for women 24-24 within x miles of you. now ramp that up to 24 - 30. you won't see all the profiles of women who are 24-30, you will see a site cultured mix of women in that range; some of the women from the more narrow search will just not show up. very annoying algorithms at play here.

bumble - seems like mostly legit hotties, the 24-30 age here is by far the most attractive and datable. have to say it tends to have the best quality of women since it's come out, to me anyway

match - a last resort and not worth paying for. i pay for it just because i've been single for so long lol, but tends to lean towards 24-50 year old women who are either single moms/divorced, or really well off and mature. they are really high quality women though and if they pay you have a high chance of success because of that, however not knowing who pays before messaging them is frustrating. also has the most fake profiles next to tinder which i strongly believe are largely made in house (i once had my pay subscription end, and a girl i was talking to outside the site said my profile changed completely to the public when i stopped paying. profiles with just first names (think 'sarah') that are clearly fake and site generated pop up daily)). way too fucking expensive but if you toy with them when your subscription runs out you can get a better rate.

are there any other worthwhile options around for guys in the 30 age range nowadays? anything new and usable? those are all the ones i've ever found worth the time to use.

Fbh

Lol.

But seriously OP. You are going to find people with that type of opinion everywhere. It's not like every girl in a pub will like or respect your hobbies either

Az987

all good things
Skip the questions on OKcupid that you don't like.

The trick is to be on every dating website and app there is.

I met my girlfriend on perioscope.

I figure if I'm single again I'll try chaturbate next time.

I agree that online dating is hard, but that picture is a great example of online dating being easy. Girl is a jerk who is not worth your time. Boom, saved you the trouble of finding out the slow way.

Exactly. Would you really want to be someone who thinks like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom