• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

I asked the girl who I was seeing about twice a week, for two months, to define the relationship. Mostly because I was about to travel on vacation alone and felt guilty at the idea of using Tinder. She then revealed that she was in an open relationship with a guy she lived with.

Online dating was a mistake.

So crazy - I'm cool with people having open relationships, although they aren't for me, but I think people should be open about that stuff. That's the kind of thing you tell a person before the first date. And once I said I was no longer interested she began to go cray. I'm both bummed out, because I really liked her, and really perplexed that I dated someone for two months without knowing a whole other side to them. I guess another thing to keep an eye out for?

Reinstalled my apps and have a couple of dates lined up. But between that and my previous long term tinderella disaster, I'm thinking maybe I should join a church or activity group to meet a woman the old fashion way. It feels like the internet fosters sociopathic tendencies.

That sucks man. Both my fb were pretty open they were doing the same with someone else, and that wasn't anything like a open relationship. Seems like the first thing one should be warned.

The tinder poop story was a thread the other day
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=247974980

Xun

Is the Tinder algorithm fucked or do I just have a bad profile?

Earlier on in the year I got about 20 matches a day at one point but since resetting on Saturday I've only had 5 altogether... 😥

Jhoan

I asked the girl who I was seeing about twice a week, for two months, to define the relationship. Mostly because I was about to travel on vacation alone and felt guilty at the idea of using Tinder. She then revealed that she was in an open relationship with a guy she lived with.

Online dating was a mistake.

So crazy - I'm cool with people having open relationships, although they aren't for me, but I think people should be open about that stuff. That's the kind of thing you tell a person before the first date. And once I said I was no longer interested she began to go cray. I'm both bummed out, because I really liked her, and really perplexed that I dated someone for two months without knowing a whole other side to them. I guess another thing to keep an eye out for?

Reinstalled my apps and have a couple of dates lined up. But between that and my previous long term tinderella disaster, I'm thinking maybe I should join a church or activity group to meet a woman the old fashion way. It feels like the internet fosters sociopathic tendencies.

Could be worse: Woman ends Tinder date stuck in window trying to grab her own poop

While it's great that you have things lined up to keep you occupied, it won't solve your dry spell! Maybe try remaking your OKC from scratch with a fresh account, mix up your pics and try to pepper in some dates into your schedule. If only to make sure you don't lose your groove.
I was wondering why you were so happy on the trip. I hate to say I told you so but I told so! ;p If it's one thing I've learned from online dating, it's to never get my eggs in one basket even when the dates have been going quite well. Call me cynical but my gut is always right when a girl digs me a lot but it seems too good to be true because it fizzles out soon.

It sounds like she took me much worse than you did after you decided to annul it with her. At least she revealed it before you went off on gormandizing mid west adventures but that's still messed up on her part for not revealing it sooner. Had you not told her to define the relationship, it could have gone on for several months with her staying mum. Until one day the sitcom moment were to hit: she would take you to her place and introduce you to her boyfriend who was totally cool with you sleeping together.

It reminds me of the movie I saw last month, Beach Rats where the main character hooked up with a girl that he met through hanging out with a group of bro dudes that were his homeboys. However, he led a double life and hooked up with dudes from a local live cam website. He struggled to come to terms with his sexuality and didn't outright mention to his friend nor the girl that he saw that he was bisexual. It was a really good film.

That read like an Onion article but then again, the source was one of Rupert Murdoch's publications so sensationalism was in full swing. It was still a pretty entertaining read. What I learned from the thread:

FZZ said:
You haven't experienced the real realities and horrors of sex unless you've fucked a girl right after she's taken a fresh dump

hitting that shit from the back and getting a whiff of their poo is some disgusting carnal shit only real ones have experienced
JigglesBunny said:
Had this happen with my first girlfriend. Damn near ripped my business off at the base and shoved screwdrivers up my nostrils just to stop the stank.
Now my fiancé and I have an unspoken buffer period between her "movements" and our alone time.

An NYC woman told a story on Risk! (the storytelling podcast) in which she hooked up with this guy from Tinder. Apparently, she got the idea to order some burritos to eat before they had sex. As he was banging her from behind, her bowels decided to move and...yeah there was poop all over the place. Long story short, the guy was totally cool about it, they went out for the brunch the next day, and the relationship would end up lasting several months. The takeaway? Burritos and chill is a bad idea.

As for your reply, I thought about deleting my OKC profile and rebooting it but then I would hate to lose my Moderator status and 2000+ questions answered. Not that I care about it because being a mod is nothing special and I only check it once in a while so I won't rule it out.

I might delete my CMB/Tinder and start anew because I haven't gotten a date from the former in 2 months; the latter has been giving me diminishing returns. I think there's too many attention whores on Tinder looking for Instagram followers or shamelessly plug their website.I agree though. I notice that whenever I take from dating, it takes me a couple of dates to get into a groove again because I forget how to flirt. I do it subconsciously if I'm volunteering at an event but not actively. I think I definitely need some need pics and need to revamp my bio a bit. Getting a haircut is a matter of when not if.

I was alma mater last night scanning a bunch of drawings and watercolor paintings at the library and good lord! The girls were attractive. That's the one thing I miss about being in college: how easy it is to talk to girls because they are everywhere. I wish there was a Tinder type app specifically for dating girls from one's college/alma mater.

Unless I meet a girl that I volunteer with that I hit it off with, attend a sketch night again, or meet a girl who's an artsy, hippie type, I'll be celibate for another several months if I keep it up. There was one girl who visited my profile that lives in my neighborhood and wants to hit up the Brooklyn Botanic Garden so I might message her.

@Xun, the Tinder algorithm can shuffle your profile to the bottom of the deck based on a number of factors including idle activity, if you messaged the matches or not, etc. Since your profile is still fresh, I think it's waves thing so keep at it. Obviously it's more biased towards users who pay because they're more visible on more users.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I tried to empathize why she would keep that to herself for so long. Only thing I could come up with is that she didn't want to reveal it in fear of scaring me off, which it did, which led to her flipping the lid.

With a thread title like "A man is crowdfunding for a replacement window", I'm not surprised I miss it haha

Jhoan

I tried to empathize why she would keep that to herself for so long. Only thing I could come up with is that she didn't want to reveal it in fear of scaring me off, which it did, which led to her flipping the lid.

With a thread title like "A man is crowdfunding for a replacement window", I'm not surprised I miss it haha

At least she wasn't drunk and didn't throw objects at you, didn't pee wet the bed drunk as she slept, nor was she an overt racist. People in the Dating-Age have seen some shit! I'm thankful that the craziest woman I dated so far got high every day as a social lubricant and had signs of mood swings but I dodged that bullet in retrospect.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I have two OKC dates coming up this weekend. One is a second date and the other is a first date. Both women seem cool. Looking forward to both of them.

Jhoan

I have two OKC dates coming up this weekend. One is a second date and the other is a first date. Both women seem cool. Looking forward to both of them.
I notice that every time there's a GAF meet up, you happen to have dates lined up that weekend. You're becoming damn near as elusive as Kanik once was. What do I have to do to get you, Lulubop, and Kanik under one roof? Bait you with Netflix or have someone bring a Switch? :p

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I notice that every time there's a GAF meet up, you happen to have dates lined up that weekend. You're becoming damn near as elusive as Kanik once was. What do I have to do to get you, Lulubop, and Kanik under one roof? Bait you with Netflix or have someone bring a Switch? :p

Lol not on purpose. Didn't know there was a Meetup this weekend.

Loxley

Man, Bumble just shuffles you straight to the bottom of the pile right away, doesn't it? I reactivated my profile after taking about six months off and had 30+ swipes within an hour. Two days later - not a one.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Three first dates this week, all from different apps and they represent a wide spectrum of how dates from those apps typically go for me. Met a girl from Coffee Meets Bagel who I really liked, walked around for hours; is stable, funny and cute, we're seeing each other again Sunday. Met a girl from Tinder who I'm pretty sure was high as a kite and just wanted to people watch - was cool but I wouldn't want to date. Then met a girl from Bumble who was cute but I wanted to end the date 5 minutes in. I was so bored.

Man, Bumble just shuffles you straight to the bottom of the pile right away, doesn't it? I reactivated my profile after taking about six months off and had 30+ swipes within an hour. Two days later - not a one.

Yup. Every week or two, if you make an adjustment to your profile, you're back at the top for a day or so. The algorithm shuffle is super noticeable on that app and anyone who doesn't notice probably thinks they're a troll if they go weeks without a match. It's really dumb.

Windtrick

Hey friends, recently got into Tind/CMC/and OK and was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me pointers for the profiles/pictures. I'd prefer to keep it through PM for the sake of privacy.

Jhoan

Hey, I'm still around and would be happy to look it over seeing as I just made a new OKC account after deleting my old one of 5 years or so. I meant to post an update in here. The Dating-Age thread regulars can be harsh at times hence the subtitle Tough Love but yeah, more opinions can found there.

Speaking of that update, I'm back in the game and have tomorrow night with a 33 year old Jewish chick from CMB after talking for nearly 3 weeks. My one minor peeve is that she responds to texts once a day but the texting banter has been light and fun. Plus I don't mind because I like to keep my expectations in check.

The last time I went on a date for reference was back in July with a Chinese girl who gave me the it's not you, it's me talk and moved to South Africa for a year this month. I can only hope that this date doesn't turn out to be another case of making out and then getting hit with a caveat that makes more jaded and cynical about dating.

jimmypython

wow OKCupid has almost turned into tinder.

You HAVE to like/pass the person before you can message them. And there is a limit on how many you can like/message.

It seem to be also permanent. You cannot unlike people anymore.

Not sure how exactly does this one work yet. No timer or such...

Flux

wow OKCupid has almost turned into tinder.

You HAVE to like/pass the person before you can message them. And there is a limit on how many you can like/message.

It seem to be also permanent. You cannot unlike people anymore.

Not sure how exactly does this one work yet. No timer or such...
That is strange. It hasn't updated for me yet and has been buggy forever.

Jhoan

I dunno how many of you have move on or are still around but if you moved on to other communities, it was fun so thank you. I may not have met many of you but 'm sticking around for some time in hopes that things get better or new peeps come into the thread. Otherwise, we're in for some interesting times.

If anyone needs critiques on OKC profiles, I'll be around. I'm going to see how other communities pan out over time before going all in. Sadly there is no Online Dating Discord but the Dating Age Discord is somewhere out there. I'm not in it though so I can't invite anyone.

Keep fighting the good dating fight. I'm still cutting my teeth with dates and getting ghosted/last minute cans but nothing phases me.

BTW, I would highly recommend listening to last week's Why Oh Why podcast episode on Ghosting. It was quite good!

Top Bottom