• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

Gizuko

Sent! Let's see if she repplies, although I really doubt she will.

I've gotten responses on followup messages before, usually with an apology for having not seen my first message. But definitely don't send more than two. After two, they're probably never responding.

This is overtime already, so definitely not sending a third one! It's nice reading some people do bother answering follow up messages.

If you have some money to spare, you should temporarily change your age to 18, pay for 1 month of A-List on the OKC app, then revert back to your actual age. Only premium users can see if their messages was read ala Facebook/WhatsApp so if you're really curious, then that option is available. Plus seeing what kind questions users answer privately must be entertaining.

Definitely not that omvested in her, but I'm not that well off either. I do wonder what some people answer privately, though.

jwk94

you often can't even tell what a girl actually looks like because of it. but i'm thinking that's probably the point though. trying to get the curious to look at their profile.

i dunno about others but for me it has started to have the opposite effect. almost always an automatic swipe left.

Yeah I usually ignore anyone with a filter, dog mom, or "you message first" in their profile.

Jhoan

Funny as hell, I talked about how my CMB matches being dry lately right? Well a 29 year old half Asian, half White girl that looks attractive for a change liked me. She reminds me a bit of Olivia Munn if Olivia Munn was 5'4'', an activist, and had a nose ring. I will proceed to message her because that's what the app wants me to do.

It sounds like a Super Like feature because it's the first time I've ever seen it. I wonder what I had written on my profile that made her stand out and break out of the curated matches but maybe it's just my pics.

Thanks for the reply, Jhoan! I'm looking forward to posting more in the thread and getting different opinions. I don't have a lot of guy friends so GAF is always good for that male perspective. :p

I'm definitely looking for something stable with someone stable in their 30's; I did enough crazy shit in my 20's, so CMB sounds like a good fit for what I'm looking for. I took a look at it and I'm surprised the profile is so basic. I guess I'm used to filling out a lot more info and answering OkCupid's questions, etc.

I would never post a photo with filters. I think they're obnoxious and trashy. All the photos I'm going to use either have a clear shot of my face or are cool location photos (like in front of the Eiffel Tower) that are body shots. I could stand to take some more, though, as I recently lost 10+ lbs and I know it's important to have recent photos.

Gizuko

Not having much luck with my current profile (in tinder, since most other sites seem to be dead here). Could I get some critique?

I email tagged some of the ones I'm currently using + a couple of them I'm considering. Among the pictures, two of them have weird shadowing issues that can more or less be solved by applying a BW filter, but I'm not a fan of it.

demonkaze

Not having much luck with okcupid (although admittedly I haven't messaged many people) as nearly all the matches for me are professional women (I'm 30) and I'm someone that never got a degree which seems to be a sticking point a lot of the time.

Jhoan

Thanks for the reply, Jhoan! I'm looking forward to posting more in the thread and getting different opinions. I don't have a lot of guy friends so GAF is always good for that male perspective. :p

I'm definitely looking for something stable with someone stable in their 30's; I did enough crazy shit in my 20's, so CMB sounds like a good fit for what I'm looking for. I took a look at it and I'm surprised the profile is so basic. I guess I'm used to filling out a lot more info and answering OkCupid's questions, etc.

I would never post a photo with filters. I think they're obnoxious and trashy. All the photos I'm going to use either have a clear shot of my face or are cool location photos (like in front of the Eiffel Tower) that are body shots. I could stand to take some more, though, as I recently lost 10+ lbs and I know it's important to have recent photos.
My pleasure! To be fair, I wouldn't mind going out with a woman who has a dog but it'll take me a few dates to warm up to them. I don't feel comfortable around dogs as much as I do around say cats (cats like to sing the song their people when I slept over a girl's place twice because her cat was jealous) because I grew up with cats. Plus I dread the "dog" smell and finding pet hair which I'm aware that it varies from dog to dog and there's a whole host of other factors.

I turned down a date a few months ago because the girl owned a dog walking business and insisted on bringing her dog on the date. I told her that I'm not comfortable around dogs and revealed my history with them. She went on to say that her dog was friendly and asked if I'd be open to it in the future but I gave her the fade.

Any way, I'm a late bloomer hence why I'm not interested in settling down. I want to have my fun before settling down but I've been realizing over time that I want something that's more substantial than a hookup/casual fling.

The biggest flaw that CMB has is that it lacks new message/match notifications in the age when damn near every dating app under the sun has it. Got a cool match? Great! Because you'll only find out about it a few days later after checking the app! The most infuriating thing is when you get a bunch of messages only for the chat to expire. I kind of get why that is (people are busy and/or forget to check the app) and the devs don't want to bombard users but it's 2017: C'mon son!

That being said, don't be afraid to take pictures when you're out and about and see a great photo op. I see girls taking pics all the time when I volunteer at events. I'm not a big fan of pose pics but hey, it gets the job done. If you know any friends that are hobbyist photographers, they can get some solid shots/angles with good lighting.

Not having much luck with my current profile (in tinder, since most other sites seem to be dead here). Could I get some critique?

I email tagged some of the ones I'm currently using + a couple of them I'm considering. Among the pictures, two of them have weird shadowing issues that can more or less be solved by applying a BW filter, but I'm not a fan of it.

Ah, yes I remember you posted the pics in the Dating-Age thread and paid attention to the scars on your face which many people didn't notice (including myself). The cat pic looks devious and begs the question: Why do you have a bandage on the side of your face (kitty must have done a job on it)? I honestly think that you should have pics socializing with friends, in different occasions, and not just these staged photographs with depth of field.

To me, it comes across as the way girls post their modeling pics on OKC/Tinder. Don't get me wrong, having one or two is fine but otherwise, I would lean towards more informal shots. For example, I have a shot of me at the beach last summer (I look the same), a shot with friends, a shot posing with a nice view in the background, etc.

Not having much luck with okcupid (although admittedly I haven't messaged many people) as nearly all the matches for me are professional women (I'm 30) and I'm someone that never got a degree which seems to be a sticking point a lot of the time.
As as 29 year old, I find it harder dating/relating to women around my age myself if they have a career and life of travel but I don't care otherwise because I have something to offer. DoubleTake and swipe away my friend. Don't feel sorry for yourself because you don't have a college degree. I'm sure you have something to offer despite that. You can always go back to college and finish if you want to. How bad is it? Maybe your profile is catering to the "wrong" girls.

SOLDIER

Not sure how this board feels about hookup/one night stand encounters, but I always hear how Tinder is almost primarily tailored towards those kinds of meetups.

As someone who uses it daily to browse the latest nearby members, is there some exact science to it that I'm missing? I rarely see any profiles that state such intentions...most of them tend to say "if that's what you're looking for, swipe left" and so on.

I'm not saying with full certainty if I would ever meet someone for that express purpose. I'm shy by nature so I may never go through with it even if I was given the opportunity.

But with no one to hang out with this weekend, I find myself (for lack of a better word) wanting. So I'm just wondering if there's some tell-tale sign for people looking for hook ups or any other (legal) resource I'm not aware of.

Not sure how this board feels about hookup/one night stand encounters, but I always hear how Tinder is almost primarily tailored towards those kinds of meetups.

As someone who uses it daily to browse the latest nearby members, is there some exact science to it that I'm missing? I rarely see any profiles that state such intentions...most of them tend to say "if that's what you're looking for, swipe left" and so on.

I'm not saying with full certainty if I would ever meet someone for that express purpose. I'm shy by nature so I may never go through with it even if I was given the opportunity.

But with no one to hang out with this weekend, I find myself (for lack of a better word) wanting. So I'm just wondering if there's some tell-tale sign for people looking for hook ups or any other (legal) resource I'm not aware of.

Most profiles say that? I see quite a few profiles with that stuff but I would hardly say it's most. Also I had ons with girls who said they weren't into it. Probably a good description to keep away thirsty boys.

And shyness doesn't have much to do with it. You can set a meet and fuck but that takes a lot of patience and it's way weirder (and the shyness won't naturally help especially in the conversation that leads to that). Just act normally, go out with a person, have fun and if both are in the mood, having sex ends up being the most normal thing. There's no tell-tale sign (well...XD). If you go out fairly regularly, you end up having sex frequently on first dates.

SOLDIER

Most profiles say that? I see quite a few profiles with that stuff but I would hardly say it's most. Also I had ons with girls who said they weren't into it. Probably a good description to keep away thirsty boys.

And shyness doesn't have much to do with it. You can set a meet and fuck but that takes a lot of patience and it's way weirder (and the shyness won't naturally help especially in the conversation that leads to that). Just act normally, go out with a person, have fun and if both are in the mood, having sex ends up being the most normal thing. There's no tell-tale sign (well...XD). If you go out fairly regularly, you end up having sex frequently on first dates.

What I meant by "tell-tale signs" was in regards to what they put in their profiles. In other words, emojis and other icons. I've seen some random stuff thrown about like an airplane or a musical notation and wondering if that was some online code or whatever.

But yeah, haven't run into many profiles that state they're looking for a meet-n'-fuck, other than the ones that are very obviously a spambot. The most likely thing is that when they said Tinder was full of that, they probably meant the male side of profiles.

There was an equivalent IRL too before internet dating you could take a girl home and very often hear the phrase "I don't normally do this" its not about keeping away thirsty guys more of a preemptive slut shaming defense.

There was an equivalent IRL too before internet dating you could take a girl home and very often hear the phrase "I don't normally do this" its not about keeping away thirsty guys more of a preemptive slut shaming defense.

I feel that is more on an in-person defense to that specific guy/girl you went on a date while on Tinder has a much broader significance. But I do agree that if the girl mentality is that everyone is there for a quick fuck, then yeah she is preemptive defending herself from that.

But yeah, haven't run into many profiles that state they're looking for a meet-n'-fuck, other than the ones that are very obviously a spambot. The most likely thing is that when they said Tinder was full of that, they probably meant the male side of profiles.

I would also say Tinder is full of that. Women too. But that is just the result of the quick (and varied) nature of the app to allow for interactions. From my experience, sex tends to happen more frequently than it doesn't. It's not a Tinder particularity per se though. Just natural human interaction between people who are open to meet others.

Gizuko

Ah, yes I remember you posted the pics in the Dating-Age thread and paid attention to the scars on your face which many people didn't notice (including myself). The cat pic looks devious and begs the question: Why do you have a bandage on the side of your face (kitty must have done a job on it)? I honestly think that you should have pics socializing with friends, in different occasions, and not just these staged photographs with depth of field.

To me, it comes across as the way girls post their modeling pics on OKC/Tinder. Don't get me wrong, having one or two is fine but otherwise, I would lean towards more informal shots. For example, I have a shot of me at the beach last summer (I look the same), a shot with friends, a shot posing with a nice view in the background, etc.

Thank you for the feedback Jhoan, once again. To be honest I have been trying to get a shot with my friends, but whenever we are hanging out I just forget (we really don't meet much during the summer, so we have a lot of catching up to do when we do). However, I see where you are coming from, as I tend to swipe left on those kind of profiles - I just didn't notice I was doing the same.

Also, yes, it was my cat's fault.

Raxus

New to the dating scene here and I am looking to have fun but nothing serious quite yet. Any suggestions? Just do some social events? How can I be safe?

Gizuko

New to the dating scene here and I am looking to have fun but nothing serious quite yet. Any suggestions? Just do some social events? How can I be safe?

What do you mean be safe? If you mean when meeting your matches, you could ask a friend to call you mid-date to check up on you, have someone close know what you are doing and where beforehand and keep your GPS on.

Calling your match and talking before the date could also be a thing.

Tinder is a good bet for that. Also, every city I've lived in has had a 20's/30's/40's singles meetup group on Meetup that usually has several social events a week. Might want to check out Meetup.com to see if there's anything like that for your area.

As for being safe, I always like to talk to the person a bit before I go and meet up. Letting someone know what you're up to is always a good idea, too. If *anything* feels slightly off, make up an excuse and get out of there.

Raxus

Basically what I need to make sure I avoid STD's and make sure I don't get kidnapped or something lol.

I have a small social circle now and trying to expand it. I am making some new friends though and hoping to hook up with someone soon.

Basically what I need to make sure I avoid STD's and make sure I don't get kidnapped or something lol.

I have a small social circle now and trying to expand it. I am making some new friends though and hoping to hook up with someone soon.

How old are you? Are you a virgin?

a) use condoms
b) meet people in public and assess the situation, talk with the person, etc. Off course you can get butchered. Doesn't seem probable though.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

Don't go over anyone's place, vice-versa, without meeting them in a public setting first. Use protection. Stick to tinder or do meetups.

Basically what everyone else said. If your internet search skills are top notch you can probably background check anyone you match with to find out how crazy they are / if you're being catfished beforehand.

Raxus

Went really well. We talked, went bowling, hung out for 3 hours and kissed. I am pretty happy with how things went. I was really neurotic back in the day and that still creeps in from time to time but I am feeling better now. Thanks for the advice guys it really helped.

Disgraced

This is hard! I've spent like over an hour browsing and sending messages—usually just the "how's-it-goings" with a shitty joke or compliment relevant to their profile (how you're supposed to do this, as I understand it)—and I look at my outbox, and I've only managed to send ten!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I wanna quit

I wanna quit

again

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Online dating is work. You have to send messages like clockwork to get responses.

If you want to help speed things up or if you get tired, assuming you are using OkCupid (I'm not sure if Match has this feature), use DoubleTake and click like to a bunch of people. If any of them like you back, go from there.

Raxus

Online dating is work. You have to send messages like clockwork to get responses.

If you want to help speed things up or if you get tired, assuming you are using OkCupid (I'm not sure if Match has this feature), use DoubleTake and click like to a bunch of people. If any of them like you back, go from there.
Yep, I am an avid responder. It is the take every shot approach. If you get into a dialogue with someone you have a good in.

Jhoan

OkC just made browsing invisibly open to all users, nixed visitors to emphasize likes/make them more meaningful:

OKCupid Blog said:
We’ve removed visitors because likes and messages are the truest indicators of interest.
We want to provide our members with the best experience possible. That’s why we’re always working to release innovative features (like our brand-new photo commenting), and improve existing ones. So this week, we removed visitors from all accounts because we realized that doing so makes OkCupid better for everyone.

Without the distraction of visitors, you can now focus on the people who like what they see on your profile and really want to get to know you. And when you’re focused on those people, your chances of higher quality connections improves.

Men who send a first message between 40 and 90 characters have the highest chances of a reply, and women who make the first move are 17% more likely to end up on a date than those who don’t. But what if you’re not quite sure if you’re interested or not, and instead want to save that profile to consider later? You can like that person.

More here: https://theblog.okcupid.com/why-were-removing-visitors-847b00f4293d

I'm guilty of this because whenever I felt lazy but didn't want to check a girl out without logging in, I would type it into a browser and view the bio that way. I can only imagine that many more users will be browsing invisibly now.

OkC just made browsing invisibly open to all users, nixed visitors to emphasize likes/make them more meaningful:

More here: https://theblog.okcupid.com/why-were-removing-visitors-847b00f4293d

I'm guilty of this because whenever I felt lazy but didn't want to check a girl out without logging in, I would type it into a browser and view the bio that way. I can only imagine that many more users will be browsing invisibly now.

Huh, interesting. I may sign up for it again along with CMB. I didn't like that someone could see I visited their profile back in the day when I first used OKC.

Ernest

Banned
Lots of changes going on at OKC lately, besides the invisible browsing, it seems like they're launching a "member pledge":

Because You’re Better Than a Dick Pic
We’re launching an OkCupid Member Pledge to remind our community of dating etiquette

Are gross messages really that prevalent that they needed to do this?
I send out friendly, thoughtful, interesting messages, and have a horrible returned message rate. And yet there are all these dudes sending dick picks?

Women who are on OKC, have you found this to be a huge issue?

Lots of changes going on at OKC lately, besides the invisible browsing, it seems like they're launching a "member pledge":

I send out friendly, thoughtful, interesting messages, and have a horrible returned message rate. And yet there are all these dudes sending dick picks?

It was 7 years ago when I was using it. I'll probably be making a profile again in the next week or so. I'll let you know. :p

But seriously, yeah. It's not all dick pics though, it's awful, nasty messages about stuff in your profile. I have a friend who has a whole album on Facebook dedicated to screenshots of the gross stuff she gets from dudes on OkC. Especially if you have stuff about being a feminist/liberal on your profile. There's lots of angry guys out there on dating sites.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

Guys are idiots. These accounts contain messages women receive:

https://www.instagram.com/plentyoffishmyass/
https://www.instagram.com/tindernightmares/

Ernest

Banned
I guess that makes sense.

Seems like the only time I get returned messages is when I say something like, "hey just one last attempt to see if you're interested in me, if not, no worries! I won't contact you again and just wish you the best of luck", to which they usually respond with "thank you for the friendly note", which led me to think that they must be getting a lot of nasty shit if they think that's friendly enough to respond to.

Jhoan

I have the old version of the OKC app with visitors on my phone so the terms and conditions won't pop up. I guess it's only a matter of time before older versions of the app are rendered obsolete ala WhatsApp's mandatory updates.

I wonder if asking women out right off the bat would fall under harassment. I would think that's pretty harmless. Also, as a mod on OKC, I've never seen any flagged messages but plenty of dong pics, fake images, and some boob shots.

I need some advice on what kind of messages to send out on Tinder. I rebooted my Tinder account and sent a suggestive GIF that I found funny only to be unmatched. It sucked a bit but c'est le vie. I feel like GIFs aren't quite cutting it any more.

My Tinder game has been in the dumps for the last couple of months after being used to OKC. I feel like Tinder is strike while the iron is hot after immediately getting a match. I'm willing to PM anyone my current rotation of Tinder pics for critique. I'm leaning towards PM'ing Kanik who's Tinder-fu has been strong lately.

Also, looking through my CMB history of liked/passed/connected matches earlier was soul crushing. I feel like the last two dates I went on that didn't lead to any second dates soured my experience on it. The algorithm must have noticed that it's been dry so I got one free like but even then, I find that liking someone doesn't guarantee anything.

The girl who liked me never responded so it's very likely that the chat will expire. Online dating has its good days where women come in waves and its bad days where it's nothing but a drought for weeks on end. I feel like as the end of the summer approaches, I'm going to run into a bunch of college girls that underestimate dating while they have a lot of studying going on and will be flaky.

I don't think it's harassment, Jhoan, especially considering some of the absolutely hateful unsolicited messages women get. I mean, personally I wouldn't respond to it as I 100% like to chat with someone first before meeting up with them, but it's certainly not an offensive thing to ask. Not like calling someone a fucking libtard bitch because she won't respond to your messages. :)

Which, Ernest, is why you get that response - because that is actually a really nice message to receive. Sometimes I'd get an initial message from a guy who looked interesting and forget to respond, and if he followed up with a message like yours I'd definitely write him back.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The gifs that almost always got me replies were dancing gifs.

I would send a dance gif and the following message, "Dance battle, go!"

Any tips on what to open a conversation with when you get a match with someone who has limited information on their profile?

I think I'm just going to go with "Hey (girls name here), it looks like you enjoy traveling"

Given millennials love traveling, there's a 90% chance this comment would go over well. Not only do most people love traveling, they also love when people acknowledge them as well traveled/travelers. I'm going to test that out now actually.

Any tips on what to open a conversation with when you get a match with someone who has limited information on their profile?

I think I'm just going to go with "Hey (girls name here), it looks like you enjoy traveling"

Given millennials love traveling, there's a 90% chance this comment would go over well. Not only do most people love traveling, they also love when people acknowledge them as well traveled/travelers. I'm going to test that out now actually.
I ask them where they stand on the pineapple on pizza war and then unmatch them if they say they don't like pineapple

demonkaze

I'm so bad at this online dating thing lol. Only been using okcupid for 2 weeks but getting nowhere at all, maybe its my profile but then I've never been good at writing about myself.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
My Tinder game has been in the dumps for the last couple of months after being used to OKC. I feel like Tinder is strike while the iron is hot after immediately getting a match. I'm willing to PM anyone my current rotation of Tinder pics for critique. I'm leaning towards PM'ing Kanik who's Tinder-fu has been strong lately.

I've actually stopped using the apps to put focus on the girl I've been seeing from Tinder. I'm really into her and after countless other dates where I just wasn't feeling it, I'd rather see where this goes since she's legit awesome.

Fun fact: All of my apps have been blowing up since I made that conscious decision. Like, 5 Tinder matches a day, matched with two girls on CMB this week, getting first messages on OkCupid. A girl even started a conversation with me during my commute two mornings ago. I figured it was a cosmic / god interference, but my friend is convinced the apps are probably pushing me to the front of swiping queues due to my inactivity and that me being happy has probably lessened my resting b face, making me more approachable on the street. She's probably right haha

You could post your pics on imgur and hide it in a e-mail tag, for advice. Alternatively, get a friend with an iPhone 7 - portrait mode instantly makes everyone look great.

So much truth here.

Is it possible to be so ugly that you get like one match on Tinder every two hundred or so girls?

Probably. But more than likely, chances are that you should reconsider photos, craft a better profile tagline, or the Tinder algorithm is out to get you.

I'm so bad at this online dating thing lol. Only been using okcupid for 2 weeks but getting nowhere at all, maybe its my profile but then I've never been good at writing about myself.

What are you sending as a first message? On OkCupid I think photos / first message are more important than the bio. The bio should just not make you seem unfun / a curmudgeon.

demonkaze

I'm 99% sure it is the messages. I'm awful at starting a dialogue to the point that sometimes I'll just not do it because I can't think of anything to write. I've tried looking at the profiles and writing something based on that but 9 times out of 10 I read it back after I've sent it and cringe lol.

Ernest

Banned
I'm 99% sure it is the messages. I'm awful at starting a dialogue to the point that sometimes I'll just not do it because I can't think of anything to write. I've tried looking at the profiles and writing something based on that but 9 times out of 10 I read it back after I've sent it and cringe lol.
Nah.
Most people just look at the profile pic on the message and won't even read the message if you don't have a "look" that they're interested in.
If you look like their type physically, they will respond to almost anything you send, even if it's just a simple "Hey there" message.

Jhoan

I don't think it's harassment, Jhoan, especially considering some of the absolutely hateful unsolicited messages women get. I mean, personally I wouldn't respond to it as I 100% like to chat with someone first before meeting up with them, but it's certainly not an offensive thing to ask. Not like calling someone a fucking libtard bitch because she won't respond to your messages. :)

Which, Ernest, is why you get that response - because that is actually a really nice message to receive. Sometimes I'd get an initial message from a guy who looked interesting and forget to respond, and if he followed up with a message like yours I'd definitely write him back.
I noticed that as well because some women replied and said that need to get a feel before agreeing to meet. Others have ignored it which is also fine. I feel like my bag of tricks is wearing thin in terms of what to message women about. I'm at that point where I'm probably going to send backwards messages.

Sometimes having to a craft an individual message to women feels like a chore so copying and pasting the same line works at times. I read about girls getting bombarded with Master of None's going to Whole Foods line and it's sad but true. I've never used it personally though.
The gifs that almost always got me replies were dancing gifs.

I would send a dance gif and the following message, "Dance battle, go!"
Ah yes, the GIF dance battle. I remember that one. I sent out a very mundane question asking about a particular picture. I feel like the girl got bored though because I veered into boring conversation topic. I think she replied instantly to my previous message before I turned off the Wi-Fi. I need to take it off Tinder and set up a date as a hail Mary if I don;t hear back from her by tonight.
I've actually stopped using the apps to put focus on the girl I've been seeing from Tinder. I'm really into her and after countless other dates where I just wasn't feeling it, I'd rather see where this goes since she's legit awesome.

Fun fact: All of my apps have been blowing up since I made that conscious decision. Like, 5 Tinder matches a day, matched with two girls on CMB this week, getting first messages on OkCupid. A girl even started a conversation with me during my commute two mornings ago. I figured it was a cosmic / god interference, but my friend is convinced the apps are probably pushing me to the front of swiping queues due to my inactivity and that me being happy has probably lessened my resting b face, making me more approachable on the street. She's probably right haha

You could post your pics on imgur and hide it in a e-mail tag, for advice. Alternatively, get a friend with an iPhone 7 - portrait mode instantly makes everyone look great.
I'm aware of the magic spells that CW shows on Netlix such as Riverdale cast on women.;) I haven't felt that way about a girl in quite a while but I'm happy for you. Hopefully it goes far. From a cynical POV, if it sounds too good to be true for me, then that's usually because it is so I've learned not to hedge my bets on one person. My gut is always right. I think I subscribe to the idea that when you don't go looking for it, it finds you when you least expect it.

My screenshot folder isn't synced to Google Photos for some strange reason so will have to make a separate post from my phone and do it that way. Funny enough, my current main pic on Tinder was taken with my friend's iPhone 7 in portrait mode; had he taken it with my phone (Galaxy Note 3), the quality would have been potato camera. Whenever I'm volunteering at an event with him, I have take a picture of me. In fact, some of the best pictures I have in my rotation were from an iPhone but I refuse to convert.

If it's one thing that I've noticed, it's that I usually tend to hit it off with girls who have Android phones; the Chinese girl I hit it off with was an Android user for reference. My friend swears that iPhone users gravitate towards each other because blah, blah Face Time> Google Hangouts. The older woman I spoke to that got cold feet poked fun of me for having not having an iPhone and asked why I had an Android phone.

Nah.
Most people just look at the profile pic on the message and won't even read the message if you don't have a "look" that they're interested in.
If you look like their type physically, they will respond to almost anything you send, even if it's just a simple "Hey there" message.
Pretty much although I feel like women set their expectations to high with emphasizing looks and get disappointed in my experience. I feel like the half if not most of the dates I've been on from OKC girls don't read my profile or reference things I wrote on my date.

A girl once asked what do I do in a message on OKC when I clearly stated it in my profile. I retorted something along the lines of "Maybe if you go back to my profile you'll find out what I do. ;)" I never got reply back and nor was I expecting to get one.

On the topic of traveling, I wonder if it's a thing that society has pushed out. When I was in undergrad, my professors would always encourage students to travel in order to gain a wider perspective on the world; my old English professor usually beats me over the head with it too. I've only been to one country and traveled to a handful of states.

It drives me nuts when girls get preachy about the joys of traveling and "oh you haven't lived until you've been to x place." If anything living abroad for a few years sounds appealing to me as I've thought about doing that. That being said, I'm not crazy for it and I like traveling alone as equally with friends. It's not something that's top priority to me at the moment. I once trolled a girl on OKC by telling her that I've traveled to Chuck E. Cheese's when asked if I've traveled. I didn't hear back from her after that.

Jhoan

What's the difference between this thread and Dating Age?

Dating-Age thread is One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest; this thread is Crazy Stupid Love or 50 First Dates depending on how you see it. One gets more people popping into the thread because it's in OT and is entertaining at times as a result; the other has a small handful of regulars and doesn't get overthinkers.

One has had a yearly thread, the other has had the same thread for 3 years or so and will probably be a one and done thing once it approaches the 20K threshold. Do you like vanilla, chocolate, or both mixed together? Both threads go hand in hand but the Dating-Age thread is more suited for relationship advice in addition to online dating discussion.

Quote to reveal my Tinder bio+pics. Note that pic 3 is my main pic on OKC. Almost all the pics save for the group one are also on my OKC rotation. I added my height in for the hell of it:

Sarek

Finally meeting a girl I've been talking with for a month now for coffee on Sunday. That was definitely way too long time before actually meeting, but our schedules just didn't match at all because of my work and she being out of town for her summer vacation. Now the expectations are probably way too high, and this will only lead to disappointment.

Top Bottom