• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Onlive Relaunch Thread | Cloud Power 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neat! I'll give this a try soon. I used OnLinve years ago on my paltry 3Mbps DSL connection over Wi-Fi on my PC/tablet and was surprised at the results. I actually was able to play a few games using my DS3 on PC with some minor artifacting. Excited to try it again, although I still don't think this kind of service is ready for most people. The CloudLift thing is completely insane though, it's a very limited selection so far but damn if it isn't a cool idea. If Valve were able to get on that, well, Steam would be absolutely unrivaled considering you could play your library anywhere, even on portable devices.

CloudLift is integrated with Steam so...

jmizzal

The Steam integration would be great for me if more games were supported. I don't have a gamin PC anymore (and don't want one) but I have a pretty huge Steam library from back when I did used to own one. If I could play the majority of those games I'd be on board, but that list is tiny.

Yup and they still want you to pay 14.99 a month before you can even play your steam games. They say you cant get the 7 day free trail for cloud lift until you buy an Onlive game, I brought a bunch of onlive games, but they want me to buy another game just to play games I already brought on steam, that makes no sense.

Yup and they still want you to pay 14.99 a month before you can even play your steam games. They say you cant get the 7 day free trail for cloud lift until you buy an Onlive game, I brought a bunch of onlive games, but they want me to buy another game just to play games I already brought on steam, that makes no sense.

Basically, you have to pay $14.99 a month, to play the existing Steam games (that you own AND are on the service) in the cloud. I really don't know what to think. The only good thing is that they have greatly simplified the porting process since there is little to no effort needed so games should be coming faster but still. I'm not sure how I feel about this.

dtg

Neo Member
So if I'm reading this correctly, there's no way to buy a game and play it solely in the OnLive client without being subscribed to the playpass or cloudpass?

Enectic

Banned
So if I'm reading this correctly, there's no way to buy a game and play it solely in the OnLive client without being subscribed to the playpass or cloudpass?

That is correct. You can still access your previous PlayPass purchases but as of the relaunch the PlayPass system has been discarded. When you purchase a game on the new CloudLift service you will get a Steam key. To play this game through the OnLive client you will need an active CloudLift subscription.

It seems that way. I guess they have to cover cost somehow. Playpass is the only thing that seems remotely worth it.

EDIT: BEATEN

jmizzal

That is correct. You can still access your previous PlayPass purchases but as of the relaunch the PlayPass system has been discarded. When you purchase a game on the new CloudLift service you will get a Steam key. To play this game through the OnLive client you will need an active CloudLift subscription.

In the web browser they say for cloud lift start with a 7 day free trail, but then in the client they say you only get a trail if you buy a game. I want to try it out first and see how the steam link and cloud lift works before I pony up money for it, I already brought games, I dont see why they dont just give you a free trail for games you own.

Edit:
It seems from the browser they give you more info on how to do it and looks like you can get a free trail without buying a game

Enectic

Banned
In the web browser they say for cloud lift start with a 7 day free trail, but then in the client they say you only get a trail if you buy a game. I want to try it out first and see how the steam link and cloud lift works before I pony up money for it, I already brought games, I dont see why they dont just give you a free trail for games you own.

Edit:
It seems from the browser they give you more info on how to do it and looks like you can get a free trail without buying a game

I can definitely understand the concern and it does seem like the website is implying you don't have to buy a game to start your 7 day free trial. If you're unable to start a 7 day free trial sans game purchase then I would definitely reach out to OnLive support for further clarification. My experience with CloudLift has been very positive! Hopefully you're able to test it out and reach the same conclusion.

jmizzal

I can definitely understand the concern and it does seem like the website is implying you don't have to buy a game to start your 7 day free trial. If you're unable to start a 7 day free trial sans game purchase then I would definitely reach out to OnLive support for further clarification. My experience with CloudLift has been very positive! Hopefully you're able to test it out and reach the same conclusion.

Yea but its giving an error right now so it still doesnt work right yet, so i'm gonna have to contact them

edit it works now

Jtrizzy

I could see some people using this. I played the TW2 and Mafia 2, both ran at 45 fps most of the time, and 60 when you don't pan the camera. Not sure what the resolution is, it's not terrible. Still too much artifacting and frame rate issues for me.

Synth

I hope they put out a Win8 app for this at some point. Would be nice to use it to play games on my Surface.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Do my previously purchased Play Passes still work? Forever?

Enectic, do you work for OnLive?

Interesting! Unfortunately they still haven't updated a bunch of games to work on Android, but all the new ones appear to. Might resub my PlayPass for a few months.

Enectic

Banned
I hope they put out a Win8 app for this at some point. Would be nice to use it to play games on my Surface.

I'm all up for a RT app. The more platforms involved the better!

I was wondering the same thing. He's a very enthusiastic poster about Onlive at a minimum.

Your previous PlayPasses should work just fine. Granted this is a rather large transition so I'm not ruling out any hiccups in the process. If you're running into issues it would be best to contact OnLive support. Forever is such a long time. Unfortunately I don't think anyone can give you a guarantee on that. I'm not OnLive Staff. My only affiliation with OnLive (other than being a big fan) is that I'm one of the moderators on their new official community portal. I was also involved in the closed BETA these past few months which is another reason why I was able to compile this write up before official launch.

Brawl96

I still have the original Onlive box and controller that plugs back into my TV. Does anyone know if this is getting an update?

Enectic

Banned
Can you use a 360 or PS3 controller on Android?

It appears so. However it seems it might take a little bit of work.

PS3: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-connect-a-ps3-controller-to-your-android-phone-or-tablet/

Xbox 360: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to...ller-to-android-for-console-like-gameplay-si/

I still have the original Onlive box and controller that plugs back into my TV. Does anyone know if this is getting an update?

Yes! The OnLive Game System works great with the new service. You don't even have to download a new update. Just plug it in and you'll immediately be able to access the new service.

Coreda

onlive-doritosics3t.png

philnolan3d

Neo Member

They will still work. of course they can't guarantee they will work forever. The original deal when you bought them should still stand, at least 3 years.

Nzyme32

Enteric, good work with all the info and updates, I appreciate the time and effort you've put in.

You mentioned that the games are streamed at 1280x720, is their any word on framerate and bitrate?

I'll be keeping an eye out to see how this progresses, $15/month is probably on the steep side considering the content but I understand it is early days.

Do you know if the Cloudlift store is actually doing it's own pricing and sales? If so, they should make some of the small print much clearer, as buy from the store is not tied to the subscription, which is really good!

Gabe Newell has been quite vocal about his scepticism of cloud gaming and how it likely will collapse under its own success, which admittedly it did in a sense. So I'm surprised steam finally has a service like this, which kind of seems inevitable because despite that scepticism, there is an audience for it for sure.

Enectic

Banned
Enteric, good work with all the info and updates, I appreciate the time and effort you've put in.

You mentioned that the games are streamed at 1280x720, is their any word on framerate and bitrate?

I'll be keeping an eye out to see how this progresses, $15/month is probably on the steep side considering the content but I understand it is early days.

Do you know if the Cloudlift store is actually doing it's own pricing and sales? If so, they should make some of the small print much clearer, as buy from the store is not tied to the subscription, which is really good!

Gabe Newell has been quite vocal about his scepticism of cloud gaming and how it likely will collapse under its own success, which admittedly it did in a sense. So I'm surprised steam finally has a service like this, which kind of seems inevitable because despite that scepticism, there is an audience for it for sure.

No problem! I know the goal of the previous OnLive was 60 FPS (as a way to minimize latency). I'm sure this is still the goal and the games I played through CloudLift seemed to stay a consistent 60 FPS. Yes, the CloudLift store is pretty much just a digital distribution platform (i.e. Steam, GameFly Digital etc) and has it's own pricing and sales. Those are good suggestions and I would definitely recommend sending them to OnLive for further consideration. Being that CloudLift is still in BETA they're looking for all the input they can get on ways to improve the service. I also would have liked to have seen a cheaper price on CloudLift and maybe later on down the line they'll reconsider the pricing.

Interestingly enough, the game streaming quality and responsiveness seems greatly improved since I stopped using the service a month or so ago. The dashboard is slow as fuck right now however, but I'd assume they're getting hammered pretty badly and allocate users to their own server instance for games but put a bunch of people on each dashboard server.

BiggNife

I was wondering the other day if OnLive was ever going to bounce back from that huge restructuring a couple years back or if it was just dead in the water, so it's nice to see them giving it another shot. I always thought that while the original OnLive was certainly flawed, I was impressed at the OL team for trying something so ambitious that hadn't been done before. I'm curious to try out this new version.

I will say that Cloudbyte sounds pretty overpriced when Steam In-Home Streaming already exists.

Enectic

Banned
Interestingly enough, the game streaming quality and responsiveness seems greatly improved since I stopped using the service a month or so ago. The dashboard is slow as fuck right now however, but I'd assume they're getting hammered pretty badly and allocate users to their own server instance for games but put a bunch of people on each dashboard server.

I wouldn't be surprised. Their press release did say their servers "have been upgraded with the latest gaming GPUs and CPUs."

Basically, you have to pay $14.99 a month, to play the existing Steam games (that you own AND are on the service) in the cloud. I really don't know what to think. The only good thing is that they have greatly simplified the porting process since there is little to no effort needed so games should be coming faster but still. I'm not sure how I feel about this.
Think about it this way: you're renting access to an off-site PC you can connect to and play games on whenever you want.

On another note: Is the latency any better than it used to be? I really wanted to like OnLive, and I bought Assassin's Creed II on the service, but there was just too much latency for me to enjoy it. I was using ethernet on a desktop pc, so I don't think there's really anything I could have done on my end.

plainr_

What's stopping the folks at Onlive from releasing a Vita client? Seems like a perfect fit for the service.

Enectic

Banned
Think about it this way: you're renting access to an off-site PC you can connect to and play games on whenever you want.

On another note: Is the latency any better than it used to be? I really wanted to like OnLive, and I bought Assassin's Creed II on the service, but there was just too much latency for me to enjoy it. I was using ethernet on a desktop pc, so I don't think there's really anything I could have done on my end.

I personally think latency has improved. Experience varies from person to person though so unfortunately I can't guarantee that you'll have the same experience.

What's stopping the folks at Onlive from releasing a Vita client? Seems like a perfect fit for the service.

Probably Sony and their $380 million investment in Gaikai ;).

Enectic

Banned
I thought Microsoft bought this company and it's servers for their CLOUD stuff???

Hmmmmmm, Microsoft has their own cloud platform (called Azure). It's been around since 2010 but that's more for building, deploying and managing applications and services rather than an actual cloud gaming platform.

Here is a post on the unofficial OnLiveHQ forums that describe the issue that I have with the current CloudLift platform better than I can

http://onlivehq.com/forum/showthread.php?1850-CloudLift&p=23496&viewfull=1#post23496
Ludicrum said:
Hmm. This could work, but I must say that the subscription price needs some extra thought.

When offering a subscription plan of this nature, comparisons will inevitably be drawn to Netflix and similar streaming services. With that in mind, $15 a month seems rather expensive, especially when you take into account the need to buy the games themselves on top of that.

As I recall, when the first OnLive was making its debut it had a business model along the same lines. At first it was announced that there would be a subscription fee (I think even the same amount they're asking now) on top of having to purchase the games individually. This created such an uproar and turned off so many potential customers that they later axed it.

This begs the question: who exactly is this service for? Just about anyone who buys from Steam will more than likely have a computer capable of running these games, and those who do not probably aren't PC gamers to begin with and are more likely to play these games on a console rather than a PC.

Therefore, this service seems to target those who are PC gamers yet do not have the hardware to play current PC games. A very narrow group, such that appealing to them alone is a surefire way to go bankrupt a second time.

Another group OnLive appeals to are those who like the convenience. This group enjoys the ability to play games on any hardware, without having to worry about system crashes, driver conflicts, and other such PC gaming nuisances. One must ask, though: is this convenience worth $15 a month?

Before the subscription, this group could essentially use OnLive as a gaming platform like they would any other, but a subscription charge changes that. It would be like having to pay a monthly fee just to be able to turn your PS3 on. This type of gamer would have to seriously consider whether the convenience of OnLive is worth the price they're asking. To the type of gamer who waits for Steam sales or buys used or waits for console price drops before purchasing, the answer is clearly no.

That leaves the only group OnLive fully appeals to: people who are already fans of OnLive.

Normal consumers will be put off by the $15 pay wall, PC gamers won't see the point of paying $15 a month to play the games they're already playing on their computers, and those who wish to use OnLive as their gaming platform out of convenience must now consider how much that convenience is worth to them. Just about the only group OnLive fully appeals to are those who are already OnLive fans, or otherwise have a vested interest in cloud technology.

If OnLive must have a subscription fee it should be $7.99, and no more than $9.99. They can get away with charging that because the mass consumer has been conditioned to accept that amount as acceptable for digital subscription services. That would make the subscription fee par for the course, rather than a barrier to entry.

In its current state, I don't see how CloudLift can end any way except badly unless either the fee is lowered or OnLive provides more incentives to justify the current asking price.

As for now, we have a $14.99 PC rental service with a very limited Steam catalog, which you already have to own the games. On the other hand, you have the $9.99 Playpack which is a Netflix for games which makes more sense to me.

Enectic

Banned
Here is a post on the unofficial OnLiveHQ forums that describe the issue that I have with the current CloudLift platform better than I can

http://onlivehq.com/forum/showthread.php?1850-CloudLift&p=23496&viewfull=1#post23496

As for now, we have a $14.99 PC rental service with a very limited Steam catalog, which you already have to own the games. On the other hand, you have the $9.99 Playpack which is a Netflix for games which makes more sense to me.

The catalog of games definitely can and will grow. I think the CloudLift price should be lowered and was gunning for at most a $9.99 price point. Things could still change though (CloudLift is still in BETA) and it seems OnLive is definitely open to adjusting their pricing.

However, it sounds like OnLive is experimenting with all of these price points. "$14.99 seemed like the right pirce to start with," new VP of product and marketing Rick Sanchez told Ars Technica. "We hope that we've got the right price for it. Time will tell."

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2014...cloudlift-and-onlive-go-subscription-services

If it had the option to stream in 1080p and maximum graphical settings and a high bit rate/really low latency i would be all over this. For us that have pretty fast connections this would be awesome. Would never have to buy a new rig again.

720p and medium settings is not that appealing to me at least.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
$15 a month LOL. What a joke. Shame because I really enjoyed my time on the service. Whoever developed this business model needs to be fired. I hope that person read the above quoted post. It is going to fail and that post explains exactly why.

Enectic

Banned
$15 a month LOL. What a joke. Shame because I really enjoyed my time on the service. Whoever developed this business model needs to be fired. I hope that person read the above quoted post. It is going to fail and that post explains exactly why.

I'm keeping an open mind; nothing is certain. I would definitely like the price to go down. They also need to bolster the library and land some big name titles.

Frazley

I was a tester for CloudLift. The service idea itself is amazing. If OnLive ever goes away you have a Steam version and your achievements and saves are synced.

I used OnLive back in 2011 and it actually got me back into gaming. I bought a PS3, then a Vita, then a PSP, PS2 and now a PS4 because I loved gaming again, but needed more games than OnLive would give me. I have PlayPasses (translation OnLive only games and these are no longer sold). I don't play my PlayPasses because I just worry if I put time into a game and my PlayPass ever leaves the service.

With CloudLift I like I get a Steam copy, but I do not like the $15 per month fee to simply stream a limited number of Steam games. If it was like Netflix or cheaper I might consider paying. It is an amazing concept and in my testing works great. Bought a few games on Steam sale and synced with OnLive in minutes and OnLive gave me two coupons to try out buying games on OnLive for Steam.

I like the promise, but with school work and my PlayStation gaming (including the upcoming Now) I can't justify the monthly fee. Time will tell, OnLive has given me some free months to try it out for a while. Give this a shot and see what you think.

Enectic

Banned
So the visual quality and performance/latency has definitely improved. An interesting thing to note is it seems (unlike with PlayPasses) games on CloudLift allow you to change the video settings. In Batman: Arkham Origins everything was set on normal (with the exception of FXAA being set to high). I cranked everything up to max and the FPS still stayed a consistent 55 - 60. Anyway here are some screenshots of Metro 2033 (PlayPass version so I'm unable to mess with the video settings) and Batman: Arkham Origins.

joid3hcze55ZG.jpg

jbdjLOKPMYF8Ji.jpg

jiCATZrYTanxT.jpg

j03xSQPcPaZez.jpg

jbafFHSODCx0uu.jpg

jbmZmPNiX55rf1.jpg

jTw33fh9QB7WF.jpg

j0bzmY5vVzTmg.jpg

jbx9AtRqe05Ro.jpg

Enectic

Banned
Some screenshots of Saints Row IV set to Ultra. Framerate maintained a steady 60FPS. Overall a much better experience (better visuals, 60FPS, little screen tearing, etc) compared to my experience on the 360 version.

jTW92okTIi3yU.jpg

jbkslV99vh8EJt.jpg

jb2d5brvcrhjmX.jpg

jbsEAxpzZwsTE6.jpg

jFXuW0GXry3HP.jpg

jmoLuk9jWcB2l.jpg

jfZc2A0mQ2710.jpg

jgKNhPcv5y9H5.jpg

Enectic

Banned
Just received this email. Remember when you buy from the CloudLift section you will get a Steam code (this is the new direction OnLive is going). The CloudLift subscription is only so you can play it through the OnLive client. All saves are synced with Steam Cloud so you can switch back and forth between local and cloud copies without losing progress. There is no limit to how many games you can add to your CloudLift library while you are subscribed AS LONG as it is supported by CloudLift (currently only 20 games are supported). The new OnLive client and CloudLift service just recently launched so they are still considered in open BETA.

OnLive has created an official landing page with all the details. Check it out here.

Get Strike Suit Zero for only $5.00 and 1 free month of CloudLift ($14.99 value) to play your games in the cloud!

Redemption Instructions:
1. Launch the OnLive Service, go to MARKET and find STRIKE SUIT ZERO, go to the GAME DETAIL page and click on the price to purchase.

2.On the ORDER PREVIEW screen, ensure the “Start my 7-day Free Trial of OnLive CloudLift” is checked, select CONTINUE.

3.On the CONFIRM PURCHASE screen, enter the Promo Code below and select PURCHASE to receive Strike Suit Zero and 1 Free Month of CloudLift*!

US Promo Code:
FREECLOUDLIFTUS

UK Promo Code:
FREECLOUDLIFTUK

Thanks,
OnLive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom