• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 5 countries will have full Xbone voice commands at launch [Update in OP]

Amir0x

Banned
BS.

The original Kinect launch was exactly the same way. I don't think this behavior is anything new for Microsoft:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-voice-recognition-disabled-until-spring-2011

Deja vu.

This is not unusual for Microsoft, this is exactly how Microsoft always works. If you are familiar with Bing, Windows Phone, Xbox video/music, etc. they always are slow to roll out services to the rest of the world. If you consider this "messy" and "not ready" then Microsoft is always "messy" and "not ready."

Are you seriously kidding me right now? All your comment does is confirm exactly what I said. You're simply suggesting this is a PATTERN, and my response would merely be it may be a pattern, but that doesn't change the fact that for a console launch this can only be defined as "messy" and "not ready."

The opposite of 'not ready' would be 'completely ready', and that means no features missing in some territories, no cutting launch countries by half.

Nokterian said:
They said the same thing for the netherlands..it never came. Not did i bother to buy kinect but promising something 3 years ago and still not here is to me huge false promise.

Don't worry, they'll be ready one day ;)

Raist

Banned
Did you read Alberts recent posts that stuff like "Xbox, go to Ryse" works in all 8 languages?

We'll know more later when that chart arrives.

And do you think that makes any sense? Especially since "XBON ON" has been working in Spanish with Kinect 1 (which is supposedly far inferior to Kinect 2) for a while. Really?

BS.

The original Kinect launch was exactly the same way. I don't think this behavior is anything new for Microsoft:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-voice-recognition-disabled-until-spring-2011

Deja vu.

This is not unusual for Microsoft, this is exactly how Microsoft always works. If you are familiar with Bing, Windows Phone, Xbox video/music, etc. they always are slow to roll out services to the rest of the world. If you consider this "messy" and "not ready" then Microsoft is always "messy" and "not ready."

except they didn't claim this was a reason for the console NOT being released in those regions..

No_Style

I appreciate Albert coming in to clarify things but how many times has he done that now? MS PR says something and he comes in to shed more light or clarify things.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
What functionality hasn't been retained?
Language support in terms of more limited voice commands in some cases. No mention of Japanese support (granted they're not launching there, but they already had support for it on 360).

Satchel

Banned
While I'm glad Australia is one of the launch countries (finally), its becoming increasingly clear to me that Microsoft most likely actually wanted to launch this console next year, under the assumption the 360 would still be selling like a truck.

The combination of Sony having their powder dry and all current gen sales dropping off a cliff has really caught them on the hop.

The concern for me personally is that somehow we early adopters are going to get screwed. Oh well, wait and see I guess.

BS.

Deja vu.

This is a far greater problem.

Back then, if you lived in Europe, you could simply abstain from buying the Kinetic as you knew that it was limited in functions.

But now, in countries aside from 5, you are buying a console for FULL price and not get all is functions and can only hope that MS doesn´t take to long to add them to your countrie.

Wouldn´t be fair to consumers to only release in those 5?

This is a far greater problem.

Back then, if you lived in Europe, you could simply abstain from buying the Kinetic as you knew that it was limited in functions.

But now, in countries aside from 5, you are buying a console for FULL price and not get all is functions and can only hope that MS doesn´t take to long to add them to your countrie.

Wouldn´t be fair to consumers to only release in those 5?

And their reasoning I'm sure is that you still get Kinect-enabled games day one. You still get Skype video chat. You still get Kinect gesture control. You still get the Kinect's IR-blaster capabilities to control your TV. You still get Upload studio voice/video capture. And eventually you will get voice control.

Are you seriously kidding me right now? All your comment does is confirm exactly what I said. You're simply suggesting this is a PATTERN, and my response would merely be it may be a pattern, but that doesn't change the fact that for a console launch this can only be defined as "messy" and "not ready."

The opposite of 'not ready' would be 'completely ready', and that means no features missing in some territories, no cutting launch countries by half.

Don't worry, they'll be ready one day ;)

Not confirming what you said at all.

Microsoft has never launched a consumer product or service completely ready. If you're ever expecting that to happen you have unrealistic expectations.

Being realistic they could do only two things: Either release the console without voice support everywhere and hold the voice feature off for a year from now or longer (probably longer) or release the console with voice support in their top selling markets and slowly roll out voice support features to the rest of the world. There was never realistically a scenario on day one where every country had voice support. Microsoft probably will never admit that, but it should be obvious by now based upon what they've done in the past.

While I'm glad Australia is one of the launch countries (finally), its becoming increasingly clear to me that Microsoft most likely actually wanted to launch this console next year, under the assumption the 360 would still be selling like a truck.

The combination of Sony having their powder dry and all current gen sales dropping off a cliff has really caught them on the hop.

The concern for me personally is that somehow we early adopters are going to get screwed. Oh well, wait and see I guess.

^And this is exactly why I'm making a point of this. People who think like the above poster don't understand how Microsoft thinks. Australia is a smaller market so the priority of voice support is lower down on their priority list. There is no doubt that Microsoft planned to launch this console in 2013. If you interpret one of their services or features not being ready for launch as them rushing the launch of the console then you don't understand how often Microsoft makes decisions like this. It wouldn't matter if the console came out in 2014, 2015, 2016 there'd be features in the US version that are not in other countries no matter when they launch.

I'm still scratching my head over "Xbox On" only working in five territories and four of the languages when (as I understand it) the Kinect 1 understands that phrase in all eight languages listed. I'm inclined to call BS, to be honest here.

I'm still scratching my head over "Xbox On" only working in five territories and four of the languages when (as I understand it) the Kinect 1 understands that phrase in all eight languages listed. I'm inclined to call BS, to be honest here.

you must have an anti MS agenda, your inclinations can't possibly be based on common sense.

Raist

Banned

Kinect 2.0 is so advanced that it doesn't care for basic commands and will only accept conversations about philosophy or art.

you must have an anti MS agenda, your inclinations can't possibly be based on common sense.

a) it's already works in the Kinect 1, it should therefore be easy to make it work with the Kinect 2, b) I would expect that the "turn console on" command would have been the first command to be implemented, tbh.

Mik_Pad

Banned
I'm sorry Albert but this launch is shaping to be a disaster I only hope there aren't any HW issues, MS needs to tighten their PR and Project Managment.

sangreal

a) it's already works in the Kinect 1, it should therefore be easy to make it work with the Kinect 2, b) I would expect that the "turn console on" command would have been the first command to be implemented, tbh.

you can't turn xbox on with kinect 1, and it's probably a legal/regulations issue with leaving the console on and listening in a low power state

I guess "Xbox On" command is a "special" command because it must works in low power state. If it is saved on the Kinect itself (some rom chip), maybe it requires a firmware update.

Spongebob

Banned
you can't turn xbox on with kinect 1, and it's probably a legal/regulations issue with leaving the console on and listening in a low power state
The low-powered state isn't dependent on the Kinect...

You can still wake the Xbone up from the low-powered state with a controller.

Withnail

I'm sure they were aiming for 2013 but they thought they would have no competition, I.e. they thought as most people did that we wouldn't see the PS4 until 2014. MS seriously underestimated Sony and has been playing catch up since February. Nearly all the u turns and reversals have been in response to Sony. They were even sticking to the DRM until Sony destroyed them at E3.

Think how differently the XB1 would have played out this year without the PS4 being announced.

they really aren't ready are they?
ibpJ1wn9Y0Zeq7.gif

(too subtle?)

The Flash

Banned
I'd love to watch a behind the scenes documentary about the Xbox One. I'd love to see the effect that all of this stuff has had on the day-to-day MS/Xbox employees. Seeing the device that you worked on for who knows how long go through all of this crap must not be easy.

Spongebob

Banned
Yes, but the "wake up" from a controller not implies a voice recognition process, it is only a signal from the receptor.
Yes, a voice recognition process that you would think would be of high priority to have done( also relatively easy to implement...).

If I'm not mistaken, it was actually the first (or one of the first) Kinect functions that MS showed off during the Xbone unveiling.

Weird that they wouldn't have that done, but have other voice commands done for other languages.

Jesus, what a mess!

Why not wait a couple of months and nail things down then release the damned thing?

There is an announcement/correction/clarification/chart being released for this thing on an almost weekly basis.

tensuke

I'd love to watch a behind the scenes documentary about the Xbox One. I'd love to see the effect that all of this stuff has had on the day-to-day MS/Xbox employees. Seeing the device that you worked on for who knows how long go through all of this crap must not be easy.

That would be really interesting. It has to be CRAZY right now with all the 180s, so much is being changed or discarded for the time being.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Jesus, what a mess!

Why not wait a couple of months and nail things down then release the damned thing?

There is an announcement/correction/clarification/chart being released for this thing on an almost weekly basis.

i agree, this stuff is going to be pretty high in priority, and very subject to change. may as well hold off with absolute numbers before something formal is complete.

The Flash

Banned
That would be really interesting. It has to be CRAZY right now with all the 180s, so much is being changed or discarded for the time being.

Yep, Albert agreed with another poster that the DRM reversal pretty much screwed with everything else and that's why a lot of this stuff is happening. I also remember him saying that the development cycle in the lead up to the launch of the Xbox One has been for more public than the original Xbox and the 360. He said that near constant changes and back & forth stuff like this happen all the time with console launches but they usually keep that information to themselves. The only reason why we know as much as we do is because of how expansive the Internet and gaming has become in the last few years.

Codernaut

Banned
Why are you so confusing, next-gen?

Anybody else thinks that both Sony and MS should delay their launches until at least the summer of next year?

BigDug13

I dunno, I mean they're still using dev-kits at conferences instead of the actual console.

I still don't get how they made it so small and quiet at the same time... I don't want another RRoD case again.

Then don't buy it. Microsoft gave you RROD, not Sony, but sure, project those fears on the hardware company, by all means.

Top Bottom