• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 5 countries will have full Xbone voice commands at launch [Update in OP]

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
So, Microsoft has put up another page on Xbox.com promoting the Xbone as they do.

What's interesting is the small print right at the bottom, specifically point six:

Excuse me while I state the obvious, but I'm fairly sure that's not all of the 13 countries that the Xbone is launching in.

I think that's formal confirmation that Kinect localisation issues is not the reason why Microsoft delayed the console in eight countries a couple of weeks ago.

[Credit to limaCAT over on Something Awful for the find]

If anything, I'd see that as more proof. Not only did other countries not have voice commands, but they didn't have marketplace or anything else "localized" (possibly?)

ah well, sucks :\

Are you an engineer. Do you think its just that simple ?

Why do you ask? You could probably assume I am not an engineer, thus instead of just jumping on the first few lines of my post, read the end "that doesn't make sense to me" is what I said.

It doesn't make sense to me, a 6th Grade School Teacher. I didn't necessarily think they were going to flip a switch.

But if you look at Microsofts own PR Mouthpiece Arthur Gies, he was saying it was for localization for non english dialects. Now, they do not have it ready, just like they do not have it ready in the other countries they delayed, but they are going to launch anyways. My point was, why delay in some countries due to localization being incomplete, yet launch in other countries where the localization is not complete? That doesn't make sense to me, a little ol 6th Grade School Teacher, not an engineer. Thank you!!

Are you an engineer. Do you think its just that simple ?

J0BH2Oi.jpg

That is a great point. Remember, XboxOne was being delayed due to "localization" for those "non english speaking dialects" or whatever they have been saying.

Fast Forward a few weeks, and now the whole voice recognition will not be available in more than half of the launch countries.

Why didn't they just launch in all the original countries they planned, but just remove voice commands like they are right now with some of the launch countries? That really doesn't make sense to me.

Here is the reasoning:

Besides needing local language support, we also need to prop-up local Live, Apps, a Marketplace, and a variety of other services. We bundle that together as “localization” in messaging, but there is more to shipping in a region then text and voice translation.

Racer1977

Everyone of these voice recognition apps I've tried struggles with UK accents, if you don't speak the Queens English, you're screwed. As if pressing a button wasn't quick enough already, if you then have to repeat phrases multiple times in an attempt to negate you're accent, these things becoming an even bigger waste of time.

In years to come we'll look back at this tech and think, WTF were they thinking, technology for technologies sake.

Cidd

Why do you ask? You could probably assume I am not an engineer, thus instead of just jumping on the first few lines of my post, read the end "that doesn't make sense to me" is what I said.

It doesn't make sense to me, a 6th Grade School Teacher. I didn't necessarily think they were going to flip a switch.

But if you look at Microsofts own PR Mouthpiece Arthur Gies, he was saying it was for localization for non english dialects. Now, they do not have it ready, just like they do not have it ready in the other countries they delayed, but they are going to launch anyways. My point was, why delay in some countries due to localization being incomplete, yet launch in other countries where the localization is not complete? That doesn't make sense to me, a little ol 6th Grade School Teacher, not an engineer. Thank you!!

You obviously missed the joke lol. that was a reference to the Major Nelson and Angry Joe situation.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
i have the feeling MS was bluffing when they said november launch, and now that sony's called their bluff, they're all like ow noes!!!!

It is obvious that they were not ready for 2013 launch AT ALL, but they were forced into it.

I don't know how to put this nicely, Albert, but my trust on what you actually know or what you are trying to tell us (unfortunately there's no way to distinguish between both from our side) is quickly dwindling. How can you, of all people, who is responsible for the messaging a mere 3 months before launch, be caught in this situation?

Can you see how if, even when YOUR understanding requires another trip down to the engineers to clear up launch features and issues, some of us simply lose confidence in the message and the smoothness of the product you're about to launch?

It's pretty obvious you've never held a white collar office job for a major corporation.

I mean, I think MS's communication has been lackluster, but you're a little over the top right now.

IN&OUT

Banned
Now the localization excuse seems like bullshit. I don't know why MS is trying to hide the yield issue, its obvious that they can't produce enough units.

The_Monk

I get the feeling Xbox One is really just a US/UK console. Those are the only places the full vision works, it's really bizarre.

I'm trying to see how this makes business sense. More money from fewer users perhaps, or maybe get the 'easy' countries done first and slowly expand I don't know.

I think this is an interesting question. If we take a look at Sony they do it the other way, correct? First they deliver the PS4 where they will face the most direct competition, then they move to Europe which is mostly a big Sony territory and finally in Japan where Microsoft's presence is even lower, I believe.

Before this year E3 I was expecting Microsoft to make bigger efforts on Europe. With some things like adding a FIFA 14 to the Xbox One day One, they are getting there but still, many EU Countries without a Xbox One does not makes sense to me.

From a business standpoint I would like to understand why countries like Portugal were left out. Brazil will be having Xbox One on day one right? They speak portuguese, in fact, Microsoft does not even know the difference between the Portuguese spoken in Brazil and in Portugal, since they just "port" the brazilian accent to Portugal and they believe that this is correct, which is not, at all.

Here is the reasoning:

So you're saying that a company the size and breadth of Microsoft who has had 2 previous console launches that touched the corners of the globe cannot localize 8 countries because in the next 3 months (or for the last 2 years mind you) they cannot (could not)

1. Prop-up local Live
  2. Localize Apps
  3. Localize a marketplace
  4. Localize "other" services

Even though MS has operated in these countries before, have had live marketplaces in these countries, have had Apps on said marketplaces for years, and had "other" services in these countries for years?

That seems less likely than yield issues to me personally

Edit: Furthermore why if MS is always considered the better software company over Sony, better UI development etc. can Sony a company not known for software development launch in 32 countries?

If it is actually localization problems as stated all these screams that the X1 was not ready to be released this year and is still being rushed together

oVerde

Banned
Now I'm pissed :mad:

Been waiting on the promise for Portuguese Voice commands since the launch, they said, next semester they said, we are working on they said, and then was tier 1 on Xbox One, "hey, they finally done it!", damn, am angry as fuck!

Raist

Banned
we should be getting an answer soon?

"I'm gonna go and ask engineers" is the new "I'm gonna go and round up answers now".

Albert, you really kind of have balls to face Neogaf publicly, especially with the amount of bad rep your company's actions and colleagues' statement have caused, but it becomes more and more apparent that you're not exactly helping the case.

Jomjom

Banned
Eh I don't get why everyone's blaming MS. They really have no choice but to launch right now 5 countries or 0 countries. If they wait until they get voice recognition working for 90% of the world, they'll be in the same position as the PS3 was launching a whole year later. That would mean that the Xbox One would likely have no chance of being the console with the highest user base in the west.

Add to that the Xbox does not have the benefit of selling anywhere else in the world, so they wouldn't be able to catch up in userbase 8 years later down the road.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
It's pretty obvious you've never held a white collar office job for a major corporation.

I mean, I think MS's communication has been lackluster, but you're a little over the top right now.
I've held a couple of white collar office jobs for major corporations, but what's that really got to do with it? How is hawk2025 overreacting here? Seems perfectly rational to express the concerns he did when everyone at MS seems prone to conveying inaccurate or uncertain info right now.

Guevara

So you're saying that a company the size and breadth of Microsoft who has had 2 previous console launches that touched the corners of the globe cannot localize 8 countries because in the next 3 months (or for the last 2 years mind you) they cannot (could not)

1. Prop-up local Live
  2. Localize Apps
  3. Localize a marketplace
  4. Localize "other" services

Even though MS has operated in these countries before, have had live marketplaces in these countries, have had Apps on said marketplaces for years, and had "other" services in these countries for years?

That seems less likely than yield issues to me personally
Yes, it seems extremely far fetched to me. I'm not convinced it's yield issues, but something is clearly going disastrously wrong.

What's more amazing is all the flat out flies about localization and people are saying "Oh well, I still have it pre-ordered."

They're already lying about localization. (At the VERY least deceived you into thinking your language would be supported at launch) You still want to support them and think there won't be any other lies down the road?

ypo

I don't know how to put this nicely, Albert, but my trust on what you actually know or what you are trying to tell us (unfortunately there's no way to distinguish between both from our side) is quickly dwindling. How can you, of all people, who is responsible for the messaging a mere 3 months before launch, be caught in this situation?

Can you see how if, even when YOUR understanding requires another trip down to the engineers to clear up launch features and issues, some of us simply lose confidence in the message and the smoothness of the product you're about to launch?

He's the self-proclaimed lead on product planning for Xbone yet he needs to ask the *engineers* for something simple like this? That was already put on their homesite? Engineers don't approve what goes on their PR site.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
People in Australia shouldn't complain. It's your own fault you adopted those ridiculous accents last week. How could Microsoft possibly have known in advance?

Yes, it seems extremely far fetched to me. I'm not convinced it's yield issues, but something is clearly going disastrously wrong.

Seriously if Sony can do it for 32 countries I don't get how localization could be holding 8 countries back

I don't think it's necessarily gone disastrously wrong but I do think MS is simply prioritizing their stock to more important markets

As another member on here mentioned if MS had simply announced 13 markets in the first place we wouldn't be so intrigued by this

But the 5 countries supported thing is a bit weird

KoopaTheCasual

I was looking for a good animated gif of someone rubbing their forehead sadly. If anyone has one, please let me know so I can add it. Where do you guys find those things?!

Let me say a couple things.

First - this wasn't my understanding, and to keep the meme going, I'm going to walk over to the engineers and ask them what's going on.

Second - I did say, very clearly and with no double-talk, that when you hear or read externally us say "localization related", it means voice, text, and other testing and certification related to Live and the Marketplace. That's honestly about as clear as you could be.

Third - it's also possible that I can be wrong sometimes.

I will find out the truth, and get back to you. If this turns out to be correct (which I don't think it is), then you absolutely have my apologies if anyone was mislead.

I really appreciate how you're really upfront about doing your job Albert and are completely ok with being wrong about something at a given time, but for your sake as well, I really hope MS can straighten their message out. You shouldn't have to be in a position where you need to triple check with engineers.

REV 09

Ahhh, the good old "I got mine, screw everyone else" stance. Haven't seen this since E3.

But OT: I can't wait for the Xbox One to release in all 13 countries with very limited "apps, and services" that all the apologists keep harping on, as the real reason for the 8 country delay. But by that time, the goal posts probably would have already been moved.
I never said screw everyone else. Everyone without this should be rightfully upset, but many people will make a big deal out of it even though it has no effect on them. People keep making such a big deal out of the Xbox not launching in all territories...seriously? An electronic device didn't launch globally day 1. What's new? They'll get it when they get it. If they're upset...wait or buy an alternative. If its coming to YOUR territory then I see no reason to be concerned at all...unless console warzzzz

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
I never said screw everyone else. Everyone without this should be rightfully upset, but many people will make a big deal out of it even though it has no effect on them. People keep making such a big deal out of the Xbox not launching in all territories...seriously? An electronic device didn't launch globally day 1. What's new? They'll get it when they get it. If they're upset...wait or buy an alternative. If its coming to YOUR territory then I see no reason to be concerned at all...unless console warzzzz

If you're paying an extra 100 Euros or whatever currency for Kinect with only the vague promises of Microsoft saying they hope to get it working in your area at some point, why wouldn't you be concerned? Especially if some games require Kinect.

beast786

Was a reference to Major and angry joe ... ;p

lol

BigDug13

It's the lies we're concerned about. If MS was up front instead of constant spin, maybe people wouldn't be so pissed and untrusting.

And I'm still skeptical about their "certain languages are tied to certain countries" option walk through. Not everyone who speaks certain languages lives in certain countries. It should just be "language and locale" with no filtering, not "language then we filter down to locales we think you should live in based on your language".

Picobrain

Banned
If I can not use X1 in UAE with english language then I really don't have a reason to buy it. The whole point was that kinect is integrated with the console, I am not paying 100$ more for useless piece of junk.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
People keep making such a big deal out of the Xbox not launching in all territories...seriously? An electronic device didn't launch globally day 1. What's new?
No.

MS initially said they'd launch in 21 countries. Within a month that number dropped by a THIRD. Now, on top of that, the fine print for TWO THIRDS of the remaining countries is that Kinect won't function as intended initially, and for who knows how long, even though it's included in the box and no one has the option to not pay for it.

The problem is that MS continues to have trouble seemingly committing to any concrete plan with the XBO. It tends to give everyone an uneasy feeling about how ready they are to launch anywhere, nvm globally.

If I can not use X1 in UAE with english language then I really don't have a reason to buy it. The whole point was that kinect is integrated with the console, I am not paying 100$ more for useless piece of junk.

I think with the importers guide that cboat leaked

You could set it to US locale and everything would function like it would in a US setting but if you change it to UAE at a point in the future you might not get voice control

Not entirely clear though

FeiRR

Banned
A serious question: are all X1 interface functions also mapped to the controller? Like, for example, snapping or app switching. Because if they aren't, people in other countries won't even be able to use their X1s. I think I read that game VCR is voice activated, there's no button (it was used as a feature). So if you're Spanish, for example, can you even record your games?

Top Bottom