• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 5 countries will have full Xbone voice commands at launch [Update in OP]

DBT85

So English, French and German.

What's the issue with the other regions, we'll something a little more official than this OP.

MS may be struggling with the ozzies; " XBAWKS TEERNNN OWNNNNN YE BAAARSTAD! "

Way late, but I think you'll find its

" XBAWKS TEERNNN OWNNNNN YE faaakinnnnn caaaaaaannnnt! "

M3d10n

Goes to show how fragmented Microsoft is when they already support more languages for voice recognition on other platforms like Windows Phone. Such thing should be a single library used across all their products.

FeiRR

Banned
The delay in the others counties was about voice commands? So what the excuse now?

Can't wait to read that too!

bttf-train-crash-o.gif

I can't wait to see the tv ads, you can control your console with your voice, just not yet, but sometime in the future you will be able to, maybe, probably.

I was looking for a good animated gif of someone rubbing their forehead sadly. If anyone has one, please let me know so I can add it. Where do you guys find those things?!

Let me say a couple things.

First - this wasn't my understanding, and to keep the meme going, I'm going to walk over to the engineers and ask them what's going on.

Second - I did say, very clearly and with no double-talk, that when you hear or read externally us say "localization related", it means voice, text, and other testing and certification related to Live and the Marketplace. That's honestly about as clear as you could be.

Third - it's also possible that I can be wrong sometimes.

I will find out the truth, and get back to you. If this turns out to be correct (which I don't think it is), then you absolutely have my apologies if anyone was mislead.

BigDug13

I was looking for a good animated gif of someone rubbing their forehead sadly. If anyone has one, please let me know so I can add it. Where do you guys find those things?!

First - this wasn't my understanding, and to keep the meme going, I'm going to walk over to the engineers and ask them what's going on.

Second - I did say, very clearly and with no double-talk, that when you hear or read externally us say "localization related", it means voice, text, and other testing and certification related to Live and the Marketplace. That's honestly about as clear as you could be.

I will find out the truth, and get back to you. If this turns out to be correct (which I don't think it is), then you absolutely have my apologies if anyone was mislead.

Albert, while you're there, could you please also ask them about the FAQ page that says once you select a language, it will filter down your choices of available locales you can select based on your language selection. How restrictive will that be? Will someone be able to set language as English and still claim Italy as their locale? Or will an Italian who doesn't speak very good English but lives in the US be able to select Italian as their language and still have the US available for locale?

I ask because as someone who's planning to be an International School Teacher, restrictions of locale selection based on language spoken makes me wonder.

Thank you!

Klocker

The delay in the others counties was about voice commands? So what the excuse now?
it was much more involved than voice commands as was pointed out by Albert in that thread... But people just continue to simplify and accuse of deception (like it really matters) rather than try and comprehend a complex situation

Estocolmo

LANGUAGE OPTIONS. In Sweden everyone speaks english, its mandatory in school. Is it so hard to make an option were you can choose between Kinect english or native language?

Albert, while you're there, could you please also ask them about the FAQ page that says once you select a language, it will filter down your choices of available locales you can select based on your language selection. How restrictive will that be? Will someone be able to set language as English and still claim Italy as their locale? Or will an Italian who doesn't speak very good English but lives in the US be able to select Italian as their language and still have the US available for locale?

I ask because as someone who's planning to be an International School Teacher, restrictions of locale selection based on language spoken makes me wonder.

Thank you!

Yes I will ask.

ethomaz

Banned
it was much more involved than voice commands as was pointed out by Albert in that thread... But people just continue to simplify and accuse of deception (like it really matters) rather than try and comprehend a complex situation
I got that but you can't say the delay was due localizations now... we will get the Xbox One here in Brazil without voice commands... so why Portugual not?

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist

No, it's because the reason given for those delays was "localization issues". Now we find out that there are localization issues (maybe the same, maybe different) in some of the countries Xbox One is launching in. So that begs the question, why are some localization issues acceptable to MS, while other localization issues are resulting in not launching in a specific country?

tfur

Well, Albert did admit they were behind schedule.
Also, if he comes here to answer questions. I have a few that he forgot to answer from the other thread. I would prefer Albert to answer, and not anyone else for him.

--
Albert if you are allowed, willing or desire to answer.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=78575701#post78575701
When you say your hardware is on schedule, does that schedule accommodate for yield issues?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=78577401&postcount=186
You mention that you are behind schedule because of SW (software) issues. If you had to choose, and you could not say neither :) ...
What would you consider worse reason for a delay, and why: hardware vs software?

This is reference to an answer from the other thread.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=78602905#post78602905

Can you define: "the truth of launch" and "it could be proven beyond my own word"
What does this mean? What will the launch prove and most importantly how?
What will be the benchmark? Out selling (shipping) your nearest competitor? Really shipping in the original countries now part of the delay?

Thanks for your input.

shinnn

I got that but you can't say the delay was due localizations now... we will get the Xbox One here in Brazil without voice commands... so why Portugual not?

Because they are prioritizing localization to Brazil over Portugal? Also, isn't this good for you as an brazilian? lol

IrishMick

Neo Member
They were right not to even try Ireland, I could probably explode a kinect with my accent, fus ro dah style.

WHAT'S THE CRAIC! *kinect melts*

Elginer

'Xbox, time for a cuppa an some crumpets innit' as voice command confirmed.

I laughed way too much at this. Damn, MS is really not ready for this launch by everything I've been seeing. What the hell have they been doing all this time?

Weird. Not sure I understand Albert's post. So he's saying that he doesn't think the info posted is accurate?

Pretty much. We've actually come to the point whereby it's what Microsoft says about the console on its own damn website vs what a Microsoft PR employee says on a forum. I'm going to put my money on the former, to be frank. (That, and Gies is sticking to the previous PR line, so I conclude that the website is almost certainly correct)

dejay

Banned
Fuck that, its one of the reasons I am getting one. Guess I'll flip it and wait until my country has some kind of support.

I don't get this at all.

If the compatibility is grouped by language, then why not include countries that speak any of the aforementioned languages like Australia and Austria for English and German, respectively?

If the compatibility is grouped by country, then what about countries that speak multiple languages? There are lots of Spanish speakers in the US, for example.

hawk2025

I don't know how to put this nicely, Albert, but my trust on what you actually know or what you are trying to tell us (unfortunately there's no way to distinguish between both from our side) is quickly dwindling. How can you, of all people, who is responsible for the messaging a mere 3 months before launch, be caught in this situation?

Can you see how if, even when YOUR understanding requires another trip down to the engineers to clear up launch features and issues, some of us simply lose confidence in the message and the smoothness of the product you're about to launch?

If voice commands were really the issue wouldn't Xbone be delayed in all countries without full Kibect support? Wouldn't Xbobe be launching only in these 5 countries?

That is a great point. Remember, XboxOne was being delayed due to "localization" for those "non english speaking dialects" or whatever they have been saying.

Fast Forward a few weeks, and now the whole voice recognition will not be available in more than half of the launch countries.

Why didn't they just launch in all the original countries they planned, but just remove voice commands like they are right now with some of the launch countries? That really doesn't make sense to me.

Wrynnax

i have the feeling MS was bluffing when they said november launch, and now that sony's called their bluff, they're all like ow noes!!!!

I don't know how to put this nicely, Albert, but my trust on what you actually know or what you are trying to tell us (unfortunately there's no way to distinguish between both from our side) is quickly dwindling. How can you, of all people, who is responsible for the messaging a mere 3 months before launch, be caught in this situation?

Can you see how if, even when YOUR understanding requires another trip down to the engineers to clear up launch features and issues, some of us simply lose confidence in the message and the smoothness of the product you're about to launch?

At this point I've lost all faith in those silicon engineers too :p

Guevara

I get the feeling Xbox One is really just a US/UK console. Those are the only places the full vision works, it's really bizarre.

I'm trying to see how this makes business sense. More money from fewer users perhaps, or maybe get the 'easy' countries done first and slowly expand I don't know.

Top Bottom