• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 5 countries will have full Xbone voice commands at launch [Update in OP]

BajiRav

Incorrect.
he said this recently
I’m going to state it again, just like I said here and to OXM: The delay was localization related. Besides needing local language support, we also need to prop-up local Live, Apps, a Marketplace, and a variety of other services. We bundle that together as “localization” in messaging, but there is more to shipping in a region then text and voice translation. The offset to that, like we’ve said, X1 is region free and while that’s slightly more inconvenient, it will still allow people in the local countries to enjoy launch. Again, not something we’d be promoting if we were having issues with volume.

shinnn

Because:

Initially, XB1 was supposed to launch in 21 countries

Now, that number has been reduced to 13 countries

The official reason given for that reduction is more time is required for Kinect2 voice recognition localization

But now it seems not all (not even most) of those 13 launch countries will have Kinect voice recognition enabled, which casts severe doubt over the
prime reason given for the reduction in launch regions......if Microsofts excuse it truly valid, it should only launch in 5 countries first, not 13.

The most logical conclusion is MS is having supply issues......not an unusual or even unexpected problem, but one MS is unwilling to admit to as of yet.

The official reason was general localization...Nothing specific for voice recognition. And the restriction for 5 countries was announced along with the 13 launch countries.

I'm surprised no news site picked this up yet, but man only 5 countries of their T1 launch (13) have voice support? Wow they really aren't ready for launch huh

While this is truly embarrassing, it isn't surprising at all to see this kind of managerial waste and silliness from Microsoft.

Someone unfamiliar with MS corporate might wonder: "Wait, why are they having so much trouble with voice recognition in many languages for XB1 when MS has been working with those languages for several years now? Hasn't there been multiple language voice recognition in Windows since Windows 7? And haven't they been working on Kinect specifically for a few years now?"

To that, I would reply: "You don't know Microsoft."

This is the company that spends several years developing a new version of Windows,
scraps that work, spends another couple years, and the end result is Windows Vista. This is the company that spends over $400 million acquiring and funding Rare, and then utterly squanders the company. This is the company that has a team of 500 people working for multiple years on the Music app for Windows 8, and yet what they have to show for it in Windows 8.1 is less functional and practical than their own Zune desktop app.

MS are chronically inefficient and managerially incompetent across the board.

The thing is that Microsoft has historically been on the ball regarding language support. That's part of the reason why the whole localisation thing is so confusing because since the dawn of time, their software has been released on time with comprehensive language support for like...50 different languages.

If the Kinect 2 doesn't work, then well that's amusing for console warriors but understandable because accurate language processing can be quite difficult. Its also understandable that you want it to work out of the box so people don't get turned off by it. But if you're worried about that, why are you giving Australians a paper weight?

So by giving using the language issue, it can be assumed that the Xbox division is horrible at project management (doubtful, unless they're really, really rushing this launch) or there are supply issues. Both are bad conclusions either way.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
If anything this just shows how unprepared Microsoft has been. They can't even develop the selling features in time for launch. They're rushing. Am I the only one expecting a new RROD?

Applecot

The thing is that Microsoft has historically been on the ball regarding language support. That's part of the reason why the whole localisation thing is so confusing because since the dawn of time, their software has been released on time with comprehensive language support for like...50 different languages.

Exactly. Windows phone has a similar voice recognition and that thing works with more languages than I can list off.

Obviously it does not work 100% but all it needs to be able to recognise is a couple of basic commands.

XBONE OFF

rjcc

how many countries did Kinect support when it launched?

BigDug13

What I don't get is if the Kinect 2 is a far superior version of Kinect, why isn't it launching with at a bare minimum, the same language capabilities that the Kinect 1 currently has?

It doesn't matter what Kinect 1 launched with. It matters what Kinect 1 can do NOW, because that should have been the bare minimum of what Kinect 2 can do.

Zornack

What I don't get is if the Kinect 2 is a far superior version of Kinect, why isn't it launching with at a bare minimum, the same language capabilities that the Kinect 1 currently has?

It doesn't matter what Kinect 1 launched with. It matters what Kinect 1 can do NOW, because that should have been the bare minimum of what Kinect 2 can do.

It doesn't really matter that it's better hardware. Creating good voice recognition software is still just as hard and time consuming, and it looks like time isn't on Microsoft's side here.

BajiRav

But they're still releasing in countries without having those things done, so it still demonstrates that the statement was a lie to say that they need those things done before launching in a country.
If you read again, he means the delay is because of the localization not related to voice/text.
I don't want to defend him too much but I wouldn't call it a lie.

Maybe it's about a marketplace, then you realize the 360 already exists in those countries. How would you fuck that up?
Maybe it's some written languages? That shit can be cracked out in a week if they had to. Missing a whole country because you have a few words left to translate? No.
Maybe it's about their DRM, but they got rid of that.
Maybe it's about Kinect, but it's fucking not.

Maybe it's about the fact they can't make a reliable piece of hardware.

Shouldn't the launch countries that predominately speak English also be on that list as well? Australia and New Zealand are English speaking countries. Kinect shouldn't have trouble discerning Xbox play Ryse.

I'm not talking about voice commands exactly. I'm talking about general language support (I think this was one of the given reasons).

Let me explain the language problem:
- Microsoft supports languages very well in most of their core software. If Office launches, you can expect it to be in every semi-common language.
- Voice commands can be difficult to get right. If you want Kinect 2 to look good, you want it to be perfect which is 100% understandable...
- ...but then you're selling the Kinect 2 to a few launch countries that can't use it because you've locked them out because of "localisation issues". That makes them no better than people importing from Tier 2 countries.
- And if you don't mind selling unfinished Kinect 2s to customers, why aren't core gamers in Scandinavia, a country where most people have an extremely solid grasp of English, getting the Xbox One?

If the Kinect 2 is the reason, then fair enough but why the fuck are you giving Australians a paper weight? If other localisation issues are limiting your launch and not the Kinect 2, then you've got serious project management problems in the Xbox division because Microsoft has historically been pitch perfect with localisation support. Or there's yield issues and you're trying to muddy the water in an effort to look like everything is happening on time.

FDC1

If anything this just shows how unprepared Microsoft has been. They can't even develop the selling features in time for launch. They're rushing. Am I the only one expecting a new RROD?

Not a chance.
The light won't be red

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
If you read again, he means the delay is because of the localization not related to voice/text.
He talks about voice/text being part of localization, as they define it, yes. But voice/text software *is* still part of it.

More to the point, Kinect 2.0 has been marketed as positively integral to the XBO experience, so much so that it ships with every box. Yet, more than two thirds of the launch countries won't even be able to properly use it. So if that kind of localization problem isn't significant enough to delay launch for those countries, what kind of localization problems could they possibly be having in the countries that DID get delayed?

But they're still releasing in countries without having those things done, so it still demonstrates that the statement was a lie to say that they need those things done before launching in a country.
Uh no... The other launch countries are just missing voice recognition, not "local Live, Apps, a Marketplace, and a variety of other services."

BigDug13

"I’m going to state it again, just like I said here and to OXM: The delay was localization related. Besides needing local language support, we also need to prop-up local Live, Apps, a Marketplace, and a variety of other services. We bundle that together as “localization” in messaging, but there is more to shipping in a region then text and voice translation. The offset to that, like we’ve said, X1 is region free and while that’s slightly more inconvenient, it will still allow people in the local countries to enjoy launch. Again, not something we’d be promoting if we were having issues with volume"

Besides NEEDING local language support. His words. Local language support is a requirement to launch in that country as well as other localization things. But they are still releasing in some countries with no local language support. At least not vocally.

Or are you claiming he meant text-based and Microsoft doesn't have time to translate dashboard text into another language?

And either way, it's YET ANOTHER example of Microsoft using word play and vagueness to muddy their message and create confusion so I could be wrong about what he meant because I don't understand what is the truth from this company anymore.

Yeah, they really needed to save the 10000 units they would've sold in those withdrawn countries for the US

If anything, this confirms they're having localization localisation issues
What's more logical. Releasing in fewer countries so that you'll have more supplies or saying it's localization issues when you're skipping countries that speak the EXACT same language and missing out on millions of dollars of revenue?

Cornbread78

Whilst I applaud your efforts, I can guarantee you that is nowhere near what the average Irish woman looks like. Unfortunately

I tried man, here, this might be a little more feasible...

images

images

Now if you drank a few too many of these, I could understand why the Kinect VC wouldn't work...

Gnub

What is the set of functionality that this leaves out for the countries that are in launch but without voice support? Does this include games which may use voice commands?

All I can think of is "Xbox on."

Flatline

Banned
Uh no... The other launch countries are just missing voice recognition, not "local Live, Apps, a Marketplace, and a variety of other services."

I repeat, so now you're going to completely ignore one of the two main excuses the gave to keep believing in Microsoft's narrative?

Lamptramp

I can only really imagine how difficult it would be to put in full language support for a mixture of languages and accents, but I'm disinclined to give Microsoft any slack for that. Kinect was their idea, and it was their design to "force it" to be such a pivotal part of the device.

If they did not understand the limitations or difficulties of such tech then it reflects badly on their design and if they did understand then they should not be making such tech the USP of their device.

I'm not bothered about whether it shows supply issues or yield problems and to a certain extent I really don't think it matters, I'm more concerned that it shows Microsoft as less than competent, especially given its own history with Kinect 1 and voice commands in a PC OS.

This, this, a thousand times this.

The whole thing is rushed, inevitable result of a company without focus, other than a vague "One box" corporate soundbite.

CBOAT suggested awhile ago there were leadership problems within Microsoft and they were completely caught off guard by Sony. No one expected 8GB of GDDR5 and rumours kept suggesting Sony was going to launch late because of design problems.

I think the console itself is quite admirable in what it wants to achieve but Microsoft kind of knows that they can't delay the launch any sooner because giving the the first year to a console that is more powerful, doesn't lock important functionality behind a paywall and is ultimately $100 cheaper than you is a recipe for disaster. A single year advantage means that Sony could have ended up with a pretty neat Instant Game Collection and devs would have adjusted to the workings of the PS4.

Zaki2407

I,m just curious. What kind of voice commands does XBone understand ?
The basic example :
"Xbox on" >> Xbox goes on
"Xbox off" or "Xbox switch off" >> Xbox goes off
"Xbox play Forza 5" >> Xbox load and start/resume the game

Can XBone react to commands such as :
"Xbox, fetch the newspaper!"
"Xbox, sit!" or "Xbox, roll over!"

:p

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
To those people who want to downplay this, I'd just like to point out that Kinect 1 was only a peripheral but Kinect 2 IS the X1.

Not having the voice recognition really lowers the Xbox One's value at launch in those countries.
I don't understand how they missed that deadline at all.

I repeat, so now you're going to completely ignore one of the two main excuses the gave to keep believing in Microsoft's narrative?
What? Can you elaborate? I don't know what you're talking about.

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
Any ETA on when Microsoft will announce officially that they will only release in five countries this year due to localization issues?

I'm guessing this is how it breaks down based on the fact that English, German, and French are supported right out of the gate.

English:
US
Australia
New Zealand
UK
Canada
Ireland

German:
Austria
Germany

French:
France

So the only countries that aren't accounted for are Italy, Brazil, Mexico, and Spain

BigDug13

I'm guessing this is how it breaks down

English:
US
Australia
New Zealand
UK
Canada
Ireland

German:
Austria
Germany

French:
France

So the only countries that aren't accounted for are Italy, Brazil, Mexico, and Spain

If Microsoft would have worded their disclaimer as languages supported that would be one thing. But they're specifically saying what countries will be supported. The US does not have a national language. Major documents are printed in at least 3-4 languages nationwide. Other countries are the same way. Why is Microsoft identifying voice command support by nation and not by language?

If I live in the United States and Spanish is my primary language, which is completely allowed as there is no national language, does the XBO provide voice command support for me?

See how dumb it is to attach voice functionality to nations instead of languages?

BajiRav

"I’m going to state it again, just like I said here and to OXM: The delay was localization related. Besides needing local language support, we also need to prop-up local Live, Apps, a Marketplace, and a variety of other services. We bundle that together as “localization” in messaging, but there is more to shipping in a region then text and voice translation. The offset to that, like we’ve said, X1 is region free and while that’s slightly more inconvenient, it will still allow people in the local countries to enjoy launch. Again, not something we’d be promoting if we were having issues with volume"

Besides NEEDING local language support. His words. Local language support is a requirement to launch in that country as well as other localization things. But they are still releasing in some countries with no local language support. At least not vocally.

Or are you claiming he meant text-based and Microsoft doesn't have time to translate dashboard text into another language?

And either way, it's YET ANOTHER example of Microsoft using word play and vagueness to muddy their message and create confusion so I could be wrong about what he meant because I don't understand what is the truth from this company anymore.

I think he means the delays are due to the other things (services etc.) that they group under localization. Localization for them is not limited to just voice+text.
I was referring to this part
there is more to shipping in a region then text and voice translation.

how does not having voice commands being available on launch = voice commands not being the problem for delays in certain country's?

how do we know they didn't cut down the amount of launch country so that they could focus on getting those other ones done within a week or two after launch?

rjcc

I'm not talking about voice commands exactly. I'm talking about general language support (I think this was one of the given reasons).

Let me explain the language problem:
- Microsoft supports languages very well in most of their core software. If Office launches, you can expect it to be in every semi-common language.
- Voice commands can be difficult to get right. If you want Kinect 2 to look good, you want it to be perfect which is 100% understandable...
- ...but then you're selling the Kinect 2 to a few launch countries that can't use it because you've locked them out because of "localisation issues". That makes them no better than people importing from Tier 2 countries.
- And if you don't mind selling unfinished Kinect 2s to customers, why aren't core gamers in Scandinavia, a country where most people have an extremely solid grasp of English, getting the Xbox One?

If the Kinect 2 is the reason, then fair enough but why the fuck are you giving Australians a paper weight? If other localisation issues are limiting your launch and not the Kinect 2, then you've got serious project management problems in the Xbox division because Microsoft has historically been pitch perfect with localisation support. Or there's yield issues and you're trying to muddy the water in an effort to look like everything is happening on time.

None of this makes any sense at all. AFAIK, no version of Office is launching with tech that didn't exist before a couple of years ago, and I don't recall voice commands ever being a built-in feature (haven't used a new version in years, maybe they are now?) Also, Office is business software, not a game system and has entirely different expectations from the customers Microsoft is selling it to, and is usually in open beta for months / years before it's officially released. There's a billion differences between the launch strategies, it's quite bizarre to try to draw a line between them.

This is not like other things, and these comparisons don't hold water.

ToyBroker

Banned
Not having Spanish just seems like a very very weird omission. I mean, doesn't Kinect 1 already have Spanish support (Italian too, no?) Granted I've never tried speaking spanish to my Kinect, but I'm pretty sure it does.

No launch in Scandinavia is weird as hell too.

Then delay the launch for those countries by one or two weeks. Having the product not work at all for one or two weeks only creates confusion and customer dissatisfaction.

None of this makes any sense at all. AFAIK, no version of Office is launching with tech that didn't exist before a couple of years ago, and I don't recall voice commands ever being a built-in feature (haven't used a new version in years, maybe they are now?) Also, Office is business software, not a game system and has entirely different expectations from the customers Microsoft is selling it to, and is usually in open beta for months / years before it's officially released. There's a billion differences between the launch strategies, it's quite bizarre to try to draw a line between them.

This is not like other things, and these comparisons don't hold water.

Yes it does. When Microsoft launches a piece of software, they have comprehensive language support no matter how new or what has changes with it. They have historically been perfect with documentation. Believe it or not but Office and Windows has changes a lot (the ribbon for one) and requires a crapload of documentation.

If you want to bring the consumer vs. business aspect into the equation, the Xbox One is like Microsoft's only piece of consumer hardware and software that shouldn't be a complete bomb. Its their way of cementing themselves in the living room, its their core strategy of getting consumers to interact with their services, its there to finish the job the Xbox 360 started. That's why its not a games console but also an entertainment hub with HDMI In. But if they can't dedicate basic localisation resources to their consumer electronics pillar, then what the fuck are they doing over at Redmond? Again: I am not talking about voice commands because they seem fine launching that shit broken in some Tier 1 countries and I 100% understand the effort required to get that working accurately.

Basically: if Kinect is the reason, why launch in Tier 1 countries and lock them out of it and not launch in Tier 2 countries? If Kinect is not the reason, then why is it so hard to offer textual translations when you've been amazing at it in the past? That's why the localisation excuse makes little sense.

how does not having voice commands being available on launch = voice commands not being the problem for delays in certain country's?

how do we know they didn't cut down the amount of launch country so that they could focus on getting those other ones done within a week or two after launch?
You really want to believe, don't you?

Top Bottom