• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only Zelda GameCube was playable at E3... Even if you played with the Wii controller.

Kuroyume

Banned
yoopoo said:
Yeah people will run out to buy the Wiimote, the wi-fi adaptor, 512mb flash drive, the ram expension upgrade, usb adaptor and the DVD media adaptor addons for GC. You are very super smart.

Yeah, didn't you see the photos of the nutjobs who headed over to the Nintendo store to meet Reggie last month? Why do you underestimate them? Ah, why am I kidding myself? You are a super genius. You know everything.

TheWolf

Banned
Gamecube game runs on Gamecube hardware. quite the revelation. would you prefer they were running on PowerMacs?

Kuroyume said:
Yeah, didn't you see the photos of the nutjobs who headed over to the Nintendo store to meet Reggie last month? Why do you underestimate them? Ah, why am I kidding myself? You are a super genius. You know everything.

Yea, he's the know-it-all.

32X. Sega CD. /discussion

Teddman

Juice said:
I don't see why this is such a shocker for you.

We all know that the Wii's graphical horsepower is only incremental over the GameCube's.

Facts:

(LONG GRANDSTANDING SNIPPED)

So yeah, this is good news, because those three points are things we already knew. All this means is that when Zelda does launch on Wii it will probably have a little more spit and shine on it. What's your problem?
You quoted my post, but didn't really reply to it as much as go off on some tangent justifying releasing Zelda on Wii from a financial standpoint, which I have no argument with. The point of my thread was that only Zelda GameCube was shown at the show, running with a Wii controller. Ergo since Nintendo is showing it as Zelda for the Wii, I assume the only difference between the two is the control scheme. Now what's your problem with that?
Kobun Heat said:
But yeah, Teddman, I don't know. Are you back on the OMG LET'S PROVE KOBUN = STUPID train? I just said it's funny that the games were running on production GameCubes. We're all quite aware that the Wii is a GameCube with twice the RAM. What's your point?
Never been on that train, but on the other hand I think you took a bus transfer on the OMG TEDDMAN CAN'T TELL A E3 DEV KIT SWITCHEROO IF IT BIT HIM IN THE ASS line a bit up in this thead. :) It's just that a lot of folks on this forum and others had no idea that only the GameCube version was truly on display at E3, and in light of what I saw, I wanted to explore what exactly the differences between the rigged-up demo version and the final "Wii version" might be.

Those devkits must at least have more ram and a faster CPU, even if the GPU was same. Zelda looked better than anything on Gamecube, including Rebel Strike and Res. Evil 4.

Cheerilee

Teddman said:
Inside the drawer a black GameCube was just visible, which she powered off and back on quickly. The game rebooted on the TV set accordingly. All the while, the Nintendo Wii to the right of the set remained powered on, its blue LED lights glowing the entire time. "Shh! It's a secret!" smiled the booth rep.
What you didn't see was the serial number on the GameCube. DOL-001-5 :D

32X. Sega CD. /discussion
But if your next gen console is a Sega Neptune, then what's the harm in putting out a 32X?

ruby_onix said:
But if your next gen console is a Sega Neptune, then what's the harm in putting out a 32X?
Maybe they can release an add-on for GameCube that through some trick of relativity, makes time go faster for it. Thus, an apparent increase in clockspeed to an external observer.

the-iek

Kobun Heat said:
Wait. It's kind of funny that they were running on what appear to be production GameCubes, but... you seriously thought those Wii units were running the games?

Did the fact that there was a wire coming from the controller and going somewhere other than the Wii not clue you in to anything?
lol thought the same thing when i read the first post :lol

Zeed

Banned
Kuroyume said:
Yeah, didn't you see the photos of the nutjobs who headed over to the Nintendo store to meet Reggie last month?
Most of the people were just there for the fucking tournament. I like how you label all of them "nutjobs" simply because they were present at Nintendo World. I was there, and I wouldn't have given a shit about the wiimote if it were just an addon. If you think a perephrial aimed towards diehard "nutjobs" would allow the Gamecube to survive when pitted against the PS3 and 360, then you're the nutjob here.

Long story short - You're wrong, douchebag.

VOOK said:
All the "PS3"s at the Sony booth were dev kits too, Sony did'nt hide them very good either
Sony didn't try to hide anything, imo. The average PS3 kiosk had a huge vertical glass tower displaying many dev kits in full view for everyone to see. It looked pretty intentional to me.

littlewig

Banned
Nintendo said that all the games so far are only running on GC dev kits with a wiimote attachment, so I don't see why people are so amazed.

Third parties are getting final dev kits in June, and Nintendo probably has only had them for a short while, meaning they probably didn't have enough time upgrading any of the demos to their full potential.

TwIsTeD

does this really surprise anyone.....i mean even though im drunk as hell right now the ammount of money i spent tonight = wii, nintendo will always get my hard earned dollars since that was my frist intro into gaming (nes) and while i was a sega fanboy you see were that went, shit i`d pay 200 to slap a unit on my cube to enjoy the controller....(oh btw yes i have a girl....shes passed out,, and i figured it would be nice to drunk type while i had the chance since a thread was already made in offopic about beng drunk)

Kuroyume

Banned
Zyid said:
Most of the people were just there for the fucking tournament. I like how you label all of them "nutjobs" simply because they were present at Nintendo World. I was there, and I wouldn't have given a shit about the wiimote if it were just an addon. If you think a perephrial aimed towards diehard "nutjobs" would allow the Gamecube to survive when pitted against the PS3 and 360, then you're the nutjob here.

Long story short - You're wrong, douchebag.

:lol

Peru

F#A#Oo said:
Man Nintendo have really fooled us...:lol

Watch them go to TGS and show everyone up...AGAIN
Haven't we talked about this ALL THROUGH E3 - the fact that all the games have been developed on upgraded gamecube dev kits??? This isn't a surprise or a secret at all, it's a fact, and part of the reason why many games looked unpolished.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I find this quite hilarious. Nintendo had people playing on some sort of Dev Kit Gamecubes thinking they were playing their next-gen machines. I have a hard time believing Mario Galaxy was running off a GC dev kit though. That game was noticeably improved from all the other games on display.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Everything was working under the Dev Kits, wich is completely normal. Developer are working with those dev kits, and until june there isn't gona be final dev kits or a final Wii version.

So, Nintendo fooled us?

No, those games we're running on the dev kits, wich are a powered version of GameCube: Remember that no final Specs has been released yet, and also, remember that ATI it's working on the graphics chip yet.

pestul

Shaheed79 said:
I find this quite hilarious. Nintendo had people playing on some sort of Dev Kit Gamecubes thinking they were playing their next-gen machines. I have a hard time believing Mario Galaxy was running off a GC dev kit though. That game was noticeably improved from all the other games on display.
As someone has mentioned.. the GC has a spacious case compared to the Wii.. it would probably be easy for them to slap in the 2xCPU 2xGPU or whatever in it.. (devkit).

tirant

If the Wii hardware is just an small upgrade from the Gamecube, why Nintendo hasn't got final dev kits until recently, and 3rd parties are not getting them until June?

What's so special about the Wii hardware that Zelda had to run on Gamecubes w/ wiimotes?

I can understand Sony having some problems to get PS3 with CELL & RSX ready for E3, but not Nintendo...

Maybe it's not just an small upgrade...

F#A#Oo

Banned
Peru said:
Haven't we talked about this ALL THROUGH E3 - the fact that all the games have been developed on upgraded gamecube dev kits??? This isn't a surprise or a secret at all, it's a fact, and part of the reason why many games looked unpolished.

I wasn't under this impression...I mean I see Wii games on Wii console I think...it's running on Wii hardware.

I don't think back to reports saying final dev kits are out in June...

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
pestul said:
As someone has mentioned.. the GC has a spacious case compared to the Wii.. it would probably be easy for them to slap in the 2xCPU 2xGPU or whatever in it.. (devkit).
Ok so they were probably Alpha or maybe even beta wii kits just encased in a Gamecube shell? I can see that being more likely.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
For the wii version of Zelda, can you play the game with the classic controller that nintendo have developed for wii or can you only use the wii remote?

Peru

Shaheed79 said:
Or in-house nintendo games used final devkits.. And zelda used a souped up gamecube because they've just started "porting" it to the Wii. What do I know.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Can someone please answer my question!

Can the wii version of Zelda be played with standard controls using this controller:
wiiclassic.png

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Stupid questio, assuming that all devs are using GC's until dev kits are out in June. Will they have enough time to get the games looking good for launch?

AniHawk

Doc Holliday said:
Stupid questio, assuming that all devs are using GC's until dev kits are out in June. Will they have enough time to get the games looking good for launch?

I think MS gave out final devkits like last September or something. Nintendo gave out final devkits weeks prior to E3.

TheWolf

Banned
AniHawk said:
I think MS gave out final devkits like last September or something. Nintendo gave out final devkits weeks prior to E3.

final Wii kits aren't supposed to hit until June.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Hmm, I'll go on record saying I didn't know the games were running on GCs.

I never thought about it, really. Didn't really matter to me, I guess, but it never crossed my mind ::shrug::

Edit:
And what is this where the Konami guy says the Wii has some build in physics?
What exactly does that mean, is that new or unknown before?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if having real hardware will benefit the problems some people where having with controller sensativity? Surely having eveything hardwired in instead of the devkit solution of sensor bar in the memory card slot would be superior even just from a bandwidth perspective?

meh who knows.

tirant said:
If the Wii hardware is just an small upgrade from the Gamecube, why Nintendo hasn't got final dev kits until recently, and 3rd parties are not getting them until June?

What's so special about the Wii hardware that Zelda had to run on Gamecubes w/ wiimotes?

I can understand Sony having some problems to get PS3 with CELL & RSX ready for E3, but not Nintendo...
Honestly, this has been wondered many times. No clue, though.

Maybe it's not just an small upgrade...
Then they've been lying to the developers, and having them create less-detailed content than necessary... which seems like a stupid thing to do.

Chrono

Banned
An ATI PR dude said Hollywood is 'on par, or greater than' flipper, or something like that. it was in a video interview at E3.

So yeah, forget about any chance final hardware will be more powerful.

I mean even Retro is planning to only upgrade BLOOM LIGHTING and particle effects for the final build of MP3, according to IGN. They never said anything about adding HDR. And hell, nintendo just wouldn't LIE to them and let them create low-level art assets for such a long time.

I'd like to know why the hell did Nintendo even announce Hollywood/Broadway, in iwata's 2005 GDC speech. And now it's mentioned in the system specs. If nintendo doesn't care about specs, then just ignore that aspect. They're not releasing detailed specs, why release what their chips are called? Why the hell ARE they called hollywood/broadway? Do they do anything the gcn chips can't? It's just weird.

AniHawk said:
weeks, i remember reggie saying june, weeks prior to e3 is not june.

Chrono said:
An ATI PR dude said Hollywood is 'on par, or greater than' flipper, or something like that. it was in a video interview at E3.

So yeah, forget about any chance final hardware will be more powerful.

I mean even Retro is planning to only upgrade BLOOM LIGHTING and particle effects for the final build of MP3, according to IGN. They never said anything about adding HDR. And hell, nintendo just wouldn't LIE to them and let them create low-level art assets for such a long time.

I'd like to know why the hell did Nintendo even announce Hollywood/Broadway, in iwata's 2005 GDC speech. And now it's mentioned in the system specs. If nintendo doesn't care about specs, then just ignore that aspect. They're not releasing detailed specs, why release what their chips are called? Why the hell ARE they called hollywood/broadway? Do they do anything the gcn chips can't? It's just weird.
retro didn't say that, the said if you read matt's article again that the have implemented bloom ligthing already.

dysonEA

People keep saying "the wire on the wiimote went somewhere else other than the Wii" .... When I was there, I was "told" that wire was just so people wouldnt run off with the controller (why would the wire be connected to the wii anyways? theres no ports for it) ... however, playing Wii tennis, there was no wire ... so ... think what you will?

oracrest

interesting thread, but im not so sure I see what your trying to point out, as far as I knew, the next zelda was a GAMECUBE title, that was being released also in a Wii version that had some of the controller functionality. Not a completely new "Wii version" of the game, with better art and everything.

Also, I really dont see what the big deal is about games being run on gamecubes. Is it really hard to believe that nintendo simply overclocked the gamecubes with whatever was necessary to emulate the Wii specs? After all, this is an exhibition show displaying games, not systems. If I were nintendo, and I knew that adjusting a pre-existing system to suit the future generation was on the whole a more reliable way to show off the games being developed, I would absolutely choose to run everything off them rather than the in-development system that Im sure still has plenty of bugs.

Seems like a whole lot of unimaginative tabloid game theroies to me.

Top Bottom