• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OpenAI will unveil something new today (Monday) at 10 am PT (not GPT5). Altman: "feels like magic to me"

Kilau

Gold Member
What we've all been waiting for.

bender-futurama.gif

Dr.D00p

Unless and Until AI achieves general intelligence, its all just outputting 'stuff' resulting from some progammers code entry.

Tumle

Unless and Until AI achieves general intelligence, its all just outputting 'stuff' resulting from some progammers code entry.
Im not sure what you mean?
Do you mean it just copy/pastes what someone wrote in a line of code, what it should say?

Last edited:

Trilobit

ChatGPT already feels like magic sometimes. The only thing that could elevate it is if you can talk in real-time with the AI. No pauses, no waiting for the AI to realize you've finished talking. Just a pure human-like conversation that flows like water.

Edit: Oh and ScarJo's voice of course!

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
- ChatGPT will get a dedicated desktop app
- The big news is GPT-4o is the new flagship model, will be rolled out to everyone (including free users)
- GPT4-level intelligence but much faster
- Big focus on ease of use
- The audio is completely fucked during this demo, but they basically made a "Her" light. This could be a huge deal if this is legit in realtime. There's like zero wait time
- This is kinda wild, not going to lie. Demo wasn't flawless though, but doing this live means they're confident
- The realtime translation is sick
- It's bizarre to hear chatGPT be all sarcastic and cracking jokes
- That's it! Good show. Respect for doing this live.

I actually thought they had Scarlett Johansson's voice when the AI started talking, lol.

Last edited:
Seems fake already. “Ah okay, I see the problem”. We didn’t show you yet.
It’s shocking responsive in the steam tho.

Wow nice outfit you got on! *shuts it off*

Last edited:
On one hand from what we're seeing so far (after the math equation bit) this is quite terrifying but on the other hand it's almost like interacting with a Star Trek TNG computer. Or at least closing in on it.

GHG

Gold Member
If that was actually real-time then it was very impressive.

Even if it was all smoke and mirrors it was interesting to catch a glimpse of where this is going in the near future.

Ozriel

M$FT
Seems fake already. “Ah okay, I see the problem”. We didn’t show you yet.
It’s shocking responsive in the steam tho.

Wow nice outfit you got on! *shuts it off*

A regular person would see the bugs or bloopers and come to the conclusion that that’s a sure sign of the demo not being faked. But not you…

On one hand from what we're seeing so far (after the math equation bit) this is quite terrifying but on the other hand it's almost like interacting with a Star Trek TNG computer. Or at least closing in on it.

Yeah, it’s getting really good at understanding and helping with code.
Looks like traffic to StackOverflow and other similar websites might drop over time.

A regular person would see the bugs or bloopers and come to the conclusion that that’s a sure sign of the demo not being faked. But not you…
Don’t be a twat. I think it’s easy to assume parts are through known paths, which is what I meant, and then also bugs and blips. And yes, professor, I know tech demos travel down known paths. When it said I see the problem, I was suggesting that they had given it the problem already, hence why it said it saw the problem, which would imply, in that instance, semi-faked. Or it could be a bug and it is saying it sees a math problem when they didn’t show it one.

But mostly, just remember the first bit, okay? It’s not hard.

As for traffic on stack overflow etc dropping, it’s hard to say. It’s trained on older data, so it doesn’t know about certain things in the past few years. I don’t really see many coders using it at all atm. It’s bad at coding, it’s terrible at modifying code, and wretched at code in support. The answer on documentation and problem resolution it gives can be out of date by a number of years, and it can be very misleading. It has a ways to go yet.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Getting dangerously close though, look at this:

What the fuck man. The AI is joking, instilling confidence, giving suggestions on his appearance, even sounds a bit flirty at times.

What the fuck.

Edit: I've been watching their other videos. Incredible. This is insane.

Last edited:

Hugare

Getting dangerously close though, look at this:

What the fuck man. The AI is joking, instilling confidence, giving suggestions on his appearance, even sounds a bit flirty at times.

Half of me is like "wow, this is incredible"

The other half is like

6wwCX5X.jpeg

This thing will end so many jobs, man

Maybe not right now, but if it keeps evolving ... Society will change, and I dont think it will be for the better

I work with finance, and watching it interpret dahsboards and etc. during the full presentation made me panic a little bit

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
As someone in the IT field, I'm extremely unsettled. We've said this before but we're already feeling the ripples massive change in this age of weak AI which has demonstrated that not only can it now observe the world in real-time, but can respond relatively fast now as well. Once we enter the era of strong AI, eg. AGI, a lot of industries and professions are cooked.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Half of me is like "wow, this is incredible"

The other half is like

6wwCX5X.jpeg

This thing will end so many jobs, man

Maybe not right now, but if it keeps evolving ... Society will change, and I dont think it will be for the better

I work with finance, and watching it interpret dahsboards and etc. during the full presentation made me panic a little bit

I work in Logistics. My company is already going full court press on how to impliment this into our system.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
As someone in the IT field, I'm extremely unsettled. We've said this before but we're already feeling the ripples massive change in this age of weak AI which has demonstrated that not only can it now observe the world in real-time, but can respond relatively fast now as well. Once we enter the era of strong AI, eg. AGI, a lot of industries and professions are cooked.
i'm in law enforcement and have been wanting to get out for something safer... but over the last year, i've started to feel as if this career is ironically one of the "safer" options. all jobs will be affected and augmented by AI, but it'll probably be awhile before society will allow AIs to put their hands on people in emergency / crisis. maybe, idk tbh.

GHG

Gold Member
i'm in law enforcement and have been wanting to get out for something safer... but over the last year, i've started to feel as if this career is ironically one of the "safer" options. all jobs will be affected and augmented by AI, but it'll probably be awhile before society will allow AIs to put their hands on people in emergency / crisis. maybe, idk tbh.

You're safe until robotics advances far enough.

Top Bottom