• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OpenAI will unveil something new today (Monday) at 10 am PT (not GPT5). Altman: "feels like magic to me"

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Robotics isn't that far behind anymore.

I think a decade until a humanoid has human-level capabilities in most areas is not unreasonable.
i think liability concerns will moat robots from certain careers even after they are capable. but imo a decade is a long time and i feel like the timeframe is more like five years lol... especially if you're seeing the rapid progress from nvidia with dr.eureka

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
i think liability concerns will moat robots from certain careers even after they are capable. but imo a decade is a long time and i feel like the timeframe is more like five years lol... especially if you're seeing the rapid progress from nvidia with dr.eureka
Five years for the tech to get there, five more years for policy to buckle under the pressure of potential capital gains. I don't know if that's how it will go down, but it's not out of the question.

For example, home servants are a category I'm pretty certain we'll start to see soon enough. The temptation will be too great for people to reject them.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Five years for the tech to get there, five more years for policy to buckle under the pressure of potential capital gains. I don't know if that's how it will go down, but it's not out of the question.

For example, home servants are a category I'm pretty certain we'll start to see soon enough. The temptation will be too great for people to reject them.
agreed, but the first one to burn down a house trying to fry an egg is gonna cause quite a stir. lol

anyway my thesis is that robots will probably be jerking people off before they'll be allowed to cook dinner.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
i'm in law enforcement and have been wanting to get out for something safer... but over the last year, i've started to feel as if this career is ironically one of the "safer" options. all jobs will be affected and augmented by AI, but it'll probably be awhile before society will allow AIs to put their hands on people in emergency / crisis. maybe, idk tbh.

To add to GHG GHG 's statement, I'll also add advances in battery / energy storage to the list as well.

Once AI / AGI + Robotics + Energy Storage align, then it's really time to hold on to your butts for everyone.

Last edited:

Romulus

As someone in the IT field, I'm extremely unsettled. We've said this before but we're already feeling the ripples massive change in this age of weak AI which has demonstrated that not only can it now observe the world in real-time, but can respond relatively fast now as well. Once we enter the era of strong AI, eg. AGI, a lot of industries and professions are cooked.

Yeah I don't know how anyone with even an average IQ and look and this and think "meh, probably won't be a big deal."

I mean just looking at it 2 years ago its an absolutely colossal difference.

We'll get to the point very soon where AI will be able to tell us how to increase its intelligence. It's already solving problem we can't. This is literally the starting line of a drag strip and we're all riding this machine.

Last edited:

Hugare

This is quite insane.

It's in it's infancy and its doing this..... imagine what this is doing in 5-10 years time.

This will be incredible for education

But at the same time, why learn it when AI is gonna do it for you faster?

I predict people getting dumb(er), ironically

Only assumptions being thrown left and right at the moment, but some of the future ramifications are scary

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Yeah I don't know how anyone with even an average IQ and look and this and think "meh, probably won't be a big deal."

We'll get to the point very soon where AI will be able to tell us how to increase its intelligence. It's already solving problem we can't. This is literally the starting line of a drag strip and we're all riding this machine.

I agree. I don't think people are taking this seriously.

Part of my concern is that the technology is advancing too quickly. We'll probably hit the singularity by 2030 and at that point we're fucked. Job displacement could be the least of our concerns.

This is quite insane.

It's in it's infancy and its doing this..... imagine what this is doing in 5-10 years time.

Sweet Baby Jesus

3 things

1) Teaching jobs are going to be on the chopping block
2) You'd be able to easily reach a lot of people and educate them via tools like these.
3) A possible low cost option to education?

This is deeply impressive. Now I hope advancements like this can help in video game development.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Power Flashing GIF by JOSH HILL

Melon Husk

On one hand from what we're seeing so far (after the math equation bit) this is quite terrifying but on the other hand it's almost like interacting with a Star Trek TNG computer. Or at least closing in on it.
We have the ship computer, now we just need the ship

Bluecondor

Teachers will probably go away for sure after this. Or at least one teacher will manage multiple classes while each child has its own guide.
I'm a college professor and I have been saying this ever since Chat-GPT came out. That geometry video was amazing. Why would you want to sit in a giant lecture hall trying to learn something challenging when you have something at the level of that geometry video teaching you 1-on-1 any time you want?

I just signed a new contract for 2024-2029. No way my job still exists in 2029. Hell, I might not have a job in 2026 or 2027.

I can see super advanced AI sent into space to explore our solar system, mine planets & asteroids for minerals and do all of this autonomously.

They don't need to eat, sleep and shit. Can enter into environments that the fragile human body cannot survive. Cheaper to run and operate and you can literally just leave them out there without needed them to come back to resupply & refuel.

This could all be possible in the next 100 years.

Call centers are going to be decimated by this. A tireless supply of chipper conversationalists.
This would just be an annoyance to replace another annoyance. The problem lies with that moment where you ask the machine prompt for ‘agent’ or ‘manager’ or ‘technician’. Even when it’s GPT 5x, you’ll still be put on hold while you wait in a queue for that one guy at a desk to assist. And that guy is already backed up on calls.

The only thing this does for now is speed up that queue, which does nothing for the customer but add more wait time.

Chittagong

Gold Member

It will be wild once AI can trash Moore’s law by designing ever more complex chips and programming machines to tape them out way faster than humans can. And then programming tooling to do machines that can do ever smaller transistors.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Remember when we were young and our parents used to leave us in front of the tv as a so called momentary babysitter?

Kids today will now have a full blown virtual nanny talking to them, teaching them about the world, helping with homework, telling them bed time stories.

The AI will inevitably play as significant a role in their lives as a parent.

If you think the increase in gender dysphoria and other such occurrences are worrying, I can assure you - as a teacher who works with children - that some of them will start to identify as AI rather than as humans.

Last edited:

IDKFA

Damn, I was wondering when that might finally come. Just go on vacation and have instant translation every time you talk to someone. That will be a total game changer.

It will be. It will also mean less people take up the challenge of learning a language. Why bother learning when an AI can do it for you?

Regarding Google, they have their IO conference today which will be centered around AI. They're going to have to show something really impressive to match what Open AI showed us. I'm not convinced they'll be up to it.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It will be. It will also mean less people take up the challenge of learning a language. Why bother learning when an AI can do it for you?

Regarding Google, they have their IO conference today which will be centered around AI. They're going to have to show something really impressive to match what Open AI showed us. I'm not convinced they'll be up to it.

To some degree, why would you waste your life learning a skill you don't need. I am however, slightly pessimistic about the way things are going to go.

What's the likelihood that this will make society brilliant vs making it clueless, belligerent and entitled?

I imagine older generations say we're already there when speaking about my generation.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Sweet Baby Jesus

3 things

1) Teaching jobs are going to be on the chopping block
2) You'd be able to easily reach a lot of people and educate them via tools like these.
3) A possible low cost option to education?

This is deeply impressive. Now I hope advancements like this can help in video game development.
Yes, because Covid and "remote learning" showed how great people learn and assimilate information when you remove the social element, amirite?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Yes, because Covid and "remote learning" showed how great people learn and assimilate information when you remove the social element, amirite?
It also showed that children were the greatest victims of Covid because many of them had their social development severely inhibited, and for some it was practically destroyed. I teach such kids today, they are about as interested in their physical surroundings as drug addicts. This technology will distance young children even further from the real world.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

Hmm… I could actually also see AI helping a lot of people learn a language. I suspect many people would love to learn speaking a language but they don’t want to sit through the classes. So this could go both ways.

People who like to learn will keep learning, no matter if there is AI or not.

IDKFA

To some degree, why would you waste your life learning a skill you don't need. I am however, slightly pessimistic about the way things are going to go.

What's the likelihood that this will make society brilliant vs making it clueless, belligerent and entitled?

I imagine older generations say we're already there when speaking about my generation.

I'm with you. A vast majority won't bother learning skills when AI can do it all for them.

Why bother learning Python when AI can code far better than any human? Why bother learning the skills to write an essay when you can get AI to do it. Why spend years trying to write a novel when you can just give some prompts to an AI to create it in a day?

We're going to turn into the humans from Wall-E.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Hmm… I could actually also see AI helping a lot of people learn a language. I suspect many people would love to learn speaking a language but they don’t want to sit through the classes. So this could go both ways.

If this can help me learn easier I’m happy.

But it cannot beat a classroom environment with good classmates and a good teacher.
I expect music and TV and films to go to shit as lazy execs decide it’s cheaper and easier to let the AI do it. This might create a vinyl like situation where now it’s selling more.

The whole AI race is both exciting and scary. I can tell a lot of experienced people are going to lose work because it can be done by one thing. But also exciting as if we can harness it correctly it could improve our lives greatly.

But if there is money to be made and money to be saved. I’ll bet it will decimate jobs.

Last edited:

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

An important part of learning is dealing with frustration, failure and rejection. What happens when you get most of your learning from a machine intelligence who gives you everything you ask of it?

You may become a knowledge expert, but what happens when you try to apply your knowledge in the real world, working with real people who don't see eye to eye with you? How easy will it be for you to cooperate? To make painful compromises?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'm with you. A vast majority won't bother learning skills when AI can do it all for them.

Why bother learning Python when AI can code far better than any human? Why bother learning the skills to write an essay when you can get AI to do it. Why spend years trying to write a novel when you can just give some prompts to an AI to create it in a day?

We're going to turn into the humans from Wall-E.
It's going to cause real problems with society, at the moment people believe that they can change their circumstances by working hard and making the right choices.

In the future people won't necessarily have those options.

IDKFA

An important part of learning is dealing with frustration, failure and rejection. What happens when you get most of your learning from a machine intelligence who gives you everything you ask of it?

You may become a knowledge expert, but what happens when you try to apply your knowledge in the real world, working with real people who don't see eye to eye with you? How easy will it be for you to cooperate? To make painful compromises?

AI is unlikely to replace human teachers in the foreseeable future. AI tutors, like ChatGPT4.O, can be a valuable tool to supplement human teachers, but they cannot replicate the social, emotional, and motivational aspects of human interaction that are essential for learning.

Teachers can provide individualized attention, assess a student's strengths and weaknesses, and create a positive learning environment. AI tutors can provide drill and practice, but they cannot provide the same level of support and guidance.

In the future, AI is more likely to be used as a classroom assistant, helping teachers with tasks such as grading and providing individualized instruction. AI could also be used to create personalized learning plans for students. However, human teachers will still be essential for providing the social, emotional, and motivational support that students need to succeed.

The above is written by AI. Make of that what you will.

It's going to cause real problems with society, at the moment people believe that they can change their circumstances by working hard and making the right choices.

In the future people won't necessarily have those options.

Governments really need to start looking at regulating AI use to prevent it causing mass job losses. In the UK unemployment levels are already very high. The number of vacancies has slowed, meaning more people are competing for the same job.

Ownage

Over Mother's Day I demo'd Alexa for my mom. Showed her what it can do and now she wants one. I can see territory, branding and ethical lines being drawn between competing GenAIs. AWS/Alexa will have "X" limits while Copilot/Azure will have "Y" ethical limits. And then a dark horse will enter, perhaps a foreign AI agent to disrupt that could be a security risk (similar to TikTok). Then begins the AI Wars.

Example:

Funny how Meta is used as an example.

Last edited:

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Is it really so much better the new model? Feels like they hyped it up too much, yes its faster but other than that?
Looks like the main improvements are not necessarily in areas of language processing, but in the ability to quickly interpret multiple forms of non verbal information about the context, and integrate this interpretation into the response through verbal as well as non verbal channels.

SJRB

Gold Member
So many pre-AI tools are looking more and more ancient. The stuff you could do with google assistant or Siri on your phone will be like comparing a computer to a calculator.

Considering the near limitless funds and data available to Apple it is incredible how hard they're fumbling with Siri.

Rumor has it they struck a deal with OpenAI just a few days ago to implement their tech into the iOS ecosystem, and if true we'll hear about that in the upcoming keynote in June.

CGNoire

Getting dangerously close though, look at this:

What the fuck man. The AI is joking, instilling confidence, giving suggestions on his appearance, even sounds a bit flirty at times.

She sounds awefull. All that fake laughter sounds.....fake...like she was trained exclusivly on corporate shareholder meetings and YT vids where everyone fakes authenticity. Its beyond creepy to me.

Last edited:

Winter John

That language translator looks neat but I tell you what, you won't ever need it in Juarez cos you know exactly what they're saying to you even if you don't speak a word of Spanish.

Top Bottom