• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy - |OT| The truth about 8.

redcrayon

So I'm stuck early game spoiler
after the G7 summit. I've killed the ogre but besides that I have no clue where to go
Work on the sub-missions, and go to each location and talk to everyone, including HQ. That normally does the trick.

My questions for today:
What does the angst status mean? (outside of incapacitating the party member). It seems to be unable to be cured with the basic 'cure effect' spell, seems to be on a level with Death and Exhaustion. I just got hit with it a couple of times and had to run back to HQ to heal it!
And how do I get more recovery-from-KO items?

Cheers all you wonderful dungeon people :)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Work on the sub-missions, and go to each location and talk to everyone, including HQ. That normally does the trick.

My questions for today:
What does the angst status mean?
And how do I get more recovery-from-KO items?

Cheers all you wonderful dungeon people :)

didnt see any stat called angst in the jp wiki

if you bought all the items in the shop then you will need tofind them yourself from enemy drops error care is a lv 12 item.

redcrayon

if you bought all the items in the shop then you will need tofind them yourself from enemy drops error care is a lv 12 item.
Ah, OK, I'm level 13 and only just about to save Alice, so level 12 drops aren't that common for me yet. Cheers!

Wow, recovery 1 is a level 21 drop, looks like I'll have a way to go before I can find them.

Parakeetman

Ah, OK, I'm level 13 and only just about to save Alice, so level 12 drops aren't that common for me yet. Cheers!

Wow, recovery 1 is a level 21 drop, looks like I'll have a way to go before I can find them.

generally if possible far better to warp out of the dungeon to recover than waste items. since some stuff is pretty limited

redcrayon

generally if possible far better to warp out of the dungeon to recover than waste items. since some stuff is pretty limited
But if I leave a dungeon with a dead party member inside it, aren't they gone forever? I thought you could only recover that way after a party wipe?

people

What does the angst status mean? (outside of incapacitating the party member). It seems to be unable to be cured with the basic 'cure effect' spell, seems to be on a level with Death and Exhaustion. I just got hit with it a couple of times and had to run back to HQ to heal it!

But if I leave a dungeon with a dead party member inside it, aren't they gone forever? I thought you could only recover that way after a party wipe?

`Angst` status is indicated with the blue heart icon, one of the JP wiki refers to it as 'manic-depressive state' (Google translated, アンチメランコリ).
Not sure what it does exactly, apart from rendering the character useless in and outside of battle until cured. Anti-Angst tool that can be bought (80GP) cures this, but error-care item/spell doesn't.

If a party member dies in combat (skull icon) it is considered 'dieing', if you leave the dungeon that member will be 'carried to the ICU' and leaves your active party. In the Medical Lab you can 'Leave/exit(?) ICU' (pay GP) and 'recover status' (pay GP) to recover the 'dieing' status, HP back at 1. At least this is how it worked when I got in over my head a few times early on.

redcrayon

`Angst` status is indicated with the blue heart icon, one of the JP wiki refers to it as 'manic-depressive state' (Google translated, アンチメランコリ).
Not sure what it does exactly, apart from rendering the character useless in and outside of battle until cured. Anti-Angst tool that can be bought (80GP) cures this, but error-care item/spell doesn't.

If a party member dies in combat (skull icon) it is considered 'dieing', if you leave the dungeon that member will be 'carried to the ICU' and leaves your active party. In the Medical Lab you can 'Leave/exit(?) ICU' (pay GP) and 'recover status' (pay GP) to recover the 'dieing' status, HP back at 1. At least this is how it worked when I got in over my head a few times early on.
Ah, ok, ta!

cj_iwakura

Finally got my copy yesterday. Was hoping to finish Cladun X2's final boss off, but oh well, he can rot.

I love love love modern day settings, and they did a great job on the backdrops outside the windows.

I'm gonna get some screens from Xth to compare if anyone's interested, there's some interesting differences between the intros.

Alice looks much cooler in OA, for what it's worth.

CrovaxPSO

Finally got my copy yesterday. Was hoping to finish Cladun X2's final boss off, but oh well, he can rot.

I love love love modern day settings, and they did a great job on the backdrops outside the windows.

I'm gonna get some screens from Xth to compare if anyone's interested, there's some interesting differences between the intros.

Alice looks much cooler in OA, for what it's worth.

The character art in the original releases always looked a little bit off to me from the screenshots I've seen. They kept the same style but changed it enough in Meikyuu Cross Blood to make it my second favorite of all of Experience's game, after SoSC.

Alice in Cross Blood:
J9v5HdI.jpg

cj_iwakura

The character art in the original releases always looked a little bit off to me from the screenshots I've seen. They kept the same style but changed it enough in Meikyuu Cross Blood to make it my second favorite of all of Experience's game, after SoSC.

Alice in Cross Blood:

Yep, that's her old school look. It has its charms.

CrovaxPSO

Yep, that's her old school look. It has its charms.

I just meant that it's slightly different than the original style in the Xth trilogy. Goes for all the characters, went from being kind of strange (eyes a little too high on the face sort of thing) to one of my favorites with relatively minor adjustmetns.

bobohoro

The classic look really makes the game stand out more, kinda sad they didn't retain that style and worked on it a bit more.

Status report 25 hours in:
Revisiting the closed off Kagura district to search for Alice's mother. Game seems to enter the last third of the main story, I'd estimate.

I feel there is a certain lack of real equipment progression from level 14-22, which is offset by the difficulty of the monsters also not really getting higher. The start of the second part felt like a little lull to be honest, between the backtracking and the slightly worse story, it has gotten kinda tough to really press on. But quick battles and the still enjoyable atmosphere do their job at keeping me entertained. It's a good dungeon crawler to play while doing some other stuff on the side as well.

Dorarnae

finally got my copy. time to play this for a third time lol.

umm is it me or they have the wrong song for the CPA headquarter. heh

edit:
just compared with the japanese version, and it's the wrong one for the english version.

So has anyone figured out Conjurer yet? I notice it basically gets Wizard equips, but from the skills and whips, it seems to be a short range class (front line?). I would think Strength , Spirit, Luck would be a build, but can anyone enlighten me on the ways of Conjuring?

Parakeetman

So has anyone figured out Conjurer yet? I notice it basically gets Wizard equips, but from the skills and whips, it seems to be a short range class (front line?). I would think Strength , Spirit, Luck would be a build, but can anyone enlighten me on the ways of Conjuring?

dont waste points on str the suggested builds are mainly Luk Spi Wis takes a while to become more useful since skills are locked away in the heigher levels.

Parakeetman

The classic look really makes the game stand out more, kinda sad they didn't retain that style and worked on it a bit more.

Status report 25 hours in:
Revisiting the closed off Kagura district to search for Alice's mother. Game seems to enter the last third of the main story, I'd estimate.

I feel there is a certain lack of real equipment progression from level 14-22, which is offset by the difficulty of the monsters also not really getting higher. The start of the second part felt like a little lull to be honest, between the backtracking and the slightly worse story, it has gotten kinda tough to really press on. But quick battles and the still enjoyable atmosphere do their job at keeping me entertained. It's a good dungeon crawler to play while doing some other stuff on the side as well.

exp inc is a lot more picky with its art direction choices which is why they are trying to be more with the times of whats popular. The older style didnt attract too many folks outside if existing fans familiar with the series.

good luck. it really is an odd class. its a bit more versatile in the second game as it allows for subclassing which abyss does not

The hardest part is fitting it into my team. Feels more like a jack-of-all-trades class, while my party is more damage focused right now. Currently running Monk/Knight/Samurai Archer/Academic/Physician and kind of breezing through, but I just started part 2 so maybe it will get a little more challenging.

Parakeetman

The hardest part is fitting it into my team. Feels more like a jack-of-all-trades class, while my party is more damage focused right now. Currently running Monk/Knight/Samurai Archer/Academic/Physician and kind of breezing through, but I just started part 2 so maybe it will get a little more challenging.

yeah i can understand that since this game has no subclasses players tend to make more straightforward parties vs experimenting. rhen when you want to try something new feels like a piece is missing with the party balance lol

cj_iwakura

finally got my copy. time to play this for a third time lol.

umm is it me or they have the wrong song for the CPA headquarter. heh

edit:
just compared with the japanese version, and it's the wrong one for the english version.

I thought so, it sounds too ominous.

Parakeetman

wtf who translated it to angst? you would think thats something that they would call berserk which does not exist in this game, but does for other jrpgs.

basically all it does is cause you to not be able to do anything.

Yeah you need that anti-melancholy item to cure it.

Ephidel

It's worth noting that Angst (blue heart condition) actually can be cured by the Error Cure spell even though the spell text explicitly states that Angst is excluded.
(It can be cured by the Error Care item as well, although the item text for that just says 'most conditions' or something).

I took one of my main weapons and made it a SO longsword and now I can't get it back.

Can someone please tell me what the SO (source data)category is for, can I somehow get my weapon back?

Edit:Noone knows?

Saphirax

Finally got the platinum. As I previously mentioned, it really was an enjoyable experience (other than having to reload 349583 times to get the affix trophy and grind for 3000 battles). Here's to hoping we get more drpgs localised. Like at AX this year *cough*.

redcrayon

OK, level 17 and my team is happily wandering around the first dungeon of part 2.

Only problem now is that basic encounters have become something of a formality and distinctly less challenging since the academic got Brain Spire, which he can spam every turn to use the magic shield Unite skill practically every turn. Combine that with the Knight's Aegis skill to protect everyone, the warrior and samurai spamming their multi-attack skills, and everyone equipping a HP+ item so they regen as they walk around, and it's become a walk in the park.

I'm thinking of swapping out my mage for an archer and a big stack of float items, as he doesn't contribute much when exploring otherwise.

Li Kao

Well, shit, when Parakeetman was warning us that the game was old and had rough edges, I didn't expect to be the one that this annoyed.
So first few hours with the game and the first impressions were bad. The UI design is abysmal, explanation of the game mechanics is mediocre, text size is really on the tiny end, and while it is a remake the game felt indeed old to me.
That being said, at the end of the day I enjoyed playing it, so I guess that's the only thing that counts.

Just a nit-picking question if you please : is the game badly translated (possible, I noticed several typos) or was the dev high ? I mean
corpses with severed limbs or surgically removed organs turns up all over the place and the first hypothesis of the investigators is that ... it's a crime of passion. Wait. WHAT !??

Parakeetman

Well, shit, when Parakeetman was warning us that the game was old and had rough edges, I didn't expect to be the one that this annoyed.
So first few hours with the game and the first impressions were bad. The UI design is abysmal, explanation of the game mechanics is mediocre, text size is really on the tiny end, and while it is a remake the game felt indeed old to me.
That being said, at the end of the day I enjoyed playing it, so I guess that's the only thing that counts.

Just a nit-picking question if you please : is the game badly translated (possible, I noticed several typos) or was the dev high ? I mean
corpses with severed limbs or surgically removed organs turns up all over the place and the first hypothesis of the investigators is that ... it's a crime of passion. Wait. WHAT !??

Talking with Dorarnae basically we both agree that NISA seems to have lowballed it with the translations. Not surprising if they were not expecting sales to be as great, which would have been a decision made in the early proposal period after would imagine someone in the office had a look at the game when deciding what kind of resources to put into the project.

Though honestly it does effect the end user when you have someone who appears to not be familiar with the series or genre doing translations.

Also the cutting down the content from the digital manual was a dumbass idea. Regardless of some content being in the in game HQ menu.

cj_iwakura

Are keys used automatically? I'm at a locked door on 25F of the High-Rise and a note says use the Alpha key, which I have, but it's greyed out in the item menu.

Ephidel

Are keys used automatically? I'm at a locked door on 25F of the High-Rise and a note says use the Alpha key, which I have, but it's greyed out in the item menu.
If a door needs a key it will ask you if you want to use it when you try to go through the door.
If you don't have the required key the message it gives is different.

I presume you're at X14Y04 and I can't actually remember what that door needed offhand, but if you already have alpha keys and they don't work I presume it needs a beta key. In that case you'll need to find/buy one or combine some alpha keys to make one.
If it's X11Y09/X09Y07 I don't think those doors were locked by keys, I think they were locked by switches and events.

cj_iwakura

If a door needs a key it will ask you if you want to use it when you try to go through the door.

If you don't have the required key the message it gives is different.

I can't actually remember what the door down there needed offhand, but if you already have alpha keys and they don't work I presume it needs a beta key. In that case you'll need to find/buy one or combine some alpha keys to make one.

Thanks. Still not sure what that switch I flipped did... weird that you have to craft keys. Oh well.

My party is the old stand by: Warrior/Samurai/Protector | Priest/Wizard/[Thief].

Tohsaka

So, I just got hit with a level down attack multiple times in the post-game battle
against the Prince Party.
After finishing the battle and reviving/healing everyone, two of my characters are still leveled down; my Knight lost 8 levels. Is there no way to heal this or do I have to level them back up again? It's pretty ridiculous if so.

cj_iwakura

So, I just got hit with a level down attack multiple times in the post-game battle
against the Prince Party.
After finishing the battle and reviving/healing everyone, two of my characters are still leveled down; my Knight lost 8 levels. Is there no way to heal this or do I have to level them back up again? It's pretty ridiculous if so.

Sounds par for the course, especially for a post-game boss.

Tohsaka

Sounds par for the course, especially for a post-game boss.

I think I'm done with the game, if that's the case. I wasn't sure if I wanted to bother going for the plat because of having to do 2000+ extra battles, but I don't really want to deal with dumb shit like this that doesn't respect my time by forcing me to level back up again. I enjoyed the game for the most part, but some of the mechanics just annoyed me.

autoduelist

For those who haven't discovered it, you can 'auto-travel' from the map view. Just click where you want to go, and the game moves you quickly there (step by step).

Can someone explain the basics of trap opening to me?

I 'examined it'... got a list of every character, with a different trap next to it. Huh? One of them even said 'no trap'.

So I picked mr. no trap... and then I had to pick from all the possible traps? Wait, I thought there was no trap? Then there were yellow bars next to some.

And my academic who is supposed to be good at traps... is there a way to access this skill or is it natural? Because she had the same exact yellow bars as the guy who said 'no trap'.

confused.

Parakeetman

I think I'm done with the game, if that's the case. I wasn't sure if I wanted to bother going for the plat because of having to do 2000+ extra battles, but I don't really want to deal with dumb shit like this that doesn't respect my time by forcing me to level back up again. I enjoyed the game for the most part, but some of the mechanics just annoyed me.

When it comes to end game stuff always carry around lv drain decoys. Shop should have an unlimited quantity of them.

That and if you have the cash you can buy exp at the medical facility.

Tohsaka

wait, there were level down abilities? x_x

I never encountered it other than in that one fight, which was actually the next quest and not the one I mentioned in my other post now that I think of it. I finished the game and most of the post-game, so I think I got my money's worth at least.

Ephidel

Can someone explain the basics of trap opening to me?

I 'examined it'... got a list of every character, with a different trap next to it. Huh? One of them even said 'no trap'.

So I picked mr. no trap... and then I had to pick from all the possible traps? Wait, I thought there was no trap? Then there were yellow bars next to some.

And my academic who is supposed to be good at traps... is there a way to access this skill or is it natural? Because she had the same exact yellow bars as the guy who said 'no trap'.

confused.
You need to pay attention to who is telling you about the traps, because your entire party evaluates them, and your entire party are morons.

Step by step:
Here I've just found a code chip. I want to examine it, so I select examine.
Everyone has a different opinion because... well, they do. Frankly, I don't really know why they all insist on telling me their opinion, but hey, they're really vocal about this stuff.
My Academic shouts loudest. Her opinion is highlighted in yellow because she actually knows what she's talking about. Naturally, because she's the only one who has a clue, I'm going to listen to her.
Now they've all told me their opinion, they want to know what I'm actually going to do. I want the loot, and I don't want to open the loot without removing the trap first because that sounds unsafe, so I select Remove Trap.
Then they want to know who will remove the trap.
Because the Academic is the only one I trust, I select her (Glasses, bottom left. Yeah, I'm using that portrait for a girl).
Then, because disarming traps is a co-operation sport, she wants to know what she should disarm because everyone else has made her paranoid.
She thought it was a Poison Virus, so that's selected automatically. It's marked with four bars because she and three others thought that's what the trap was. The other "suspects" with one bar a piece are what my Physician and Monk thought the traps were. They don't know about traps, so I'm ignoring them.
I select Poison Virus and confirm.
And it's successful.
(Honestly, my Academic hasn't failed yet. The only time a trap has gone off on me was when my Academic was feigning death and I tried to disarm a trap with my Samurai)
Loot! :)

Now, sometimes your Academic, highlighted in yellow, will still have the opinion that there's No Trap.
(If anyone other than your Academic has that opinion, ignore them. They're idiots)

In this case you could just believe them and select "Open" without bothering to disarm. You'd probably be quite safe to do that because they're normally right. But I wouldn't. I would select my Academic and have them Disarm anyway. In this case, when the Disarm box pops up, the default suggestion will be the first one (Shock) ... and in this case I tend to attempt to disarm whatever the most horrible suggestion is, because it's better to be safe.

Dorarnae

I never encountered it other than in that one fight, which was actually the next quest and not the one I mentioned in my other post now that I think of it. I finished the game and most of the post-game, so I think I got my money's worth at least.

8 level drained? ouch lol. carry lvl drain decoy next time :D

I think with open pandora you can restore the lvl drained too

Shizuka

Everytime my Academic told me there was no trap, I'd go with "shock" since I just kept pressing X for her to reveal the trap and remove it herself.

Dominator

Might pick this up. Tokyo Twilight got me completely disinterested with its gameplay, I just wasn't into it. Is this like Demon Gaze or Mind Zero? Might pick it up.

Tohsaka

Might pick this up. Tokyo Twilight got me completely disinterested with its gameplay, I just wasn't into it. Is this like Demon Gaze or Mind Zero? Might pick it up.

It's similar to Demon Gaze, since it's the same developer. It feels more old-school though, since it's a remake of two older games.

Top Bottom