• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orange Pi Neo handheld priced, $499 for Ryzen 7 7840U, $599 for Ryzen 7 8840U

Topher

Gold Member
zw3HMcI.png

That's some competitively pricing. Hall joysticks. Option for 32GB RAM (no price yet).

StereoVsn StereoVsn what are your thoughts my man? Specs and price seem pretty good to me. Needs some usability/performance reviews

StereoVsn

zw3HMcI.png

That's some competitively pricing. Hall joysticks. Option for 32GB RAM (no price yet).

StereoVsn StereoVsn what are your thoughts my man? Specs and price seem pretty good to me. Needs some usability/performance reviews
It’s hard to judge just yet, IMO. Device does look interesting, but there are a lot of potential questions.

1. Game compatibility. This is using Manjaro plus Proton and Wine similar to the Deck. But will it be as good? No idea.
  2. Ease of use. I mean this is full on Linux distribution without trying to hide it really. Yeah, they will have their own Launcher and you can run Steam, but we will need to see more.
  3. Distribution is a question. Orange Pi does sell through some smaller NA and European retailers. Is this going to be same with the handheld? Going to be interesting to see who has this in the West. If this only becomes distributed from China, IMO, it’s a nonstarter.
  4. Price is a big question. Prices in China are usually quite a bit cheaper vs US. So price through NA/European distributors are ??? Also, while $499 is pretty good it’s barely undercutting Deck OLED and ROG Ally. 32GB pricing is going to be key, IMO. And the new SoC is kind of pointless unless AMD’s next revision of FSR utilizes the NPU.
  5. ROG Ally 2 is coming this year, isn’t it? So depending on timing it’s probably worth waiting for they to get announced before jumping on the Orange PI if you already have a handheld device.

Oh, and yeah, we should definitely have an OT for PC handhelds!

StereoVsn

china pricing always look better on the outside.
Yeah, once you add up distribution fees prices go up.

I mean usually you can grab it in Aliexpress for close to advertised price… but then your warranty is going to be quite nebulous.

Taking a chance on a $100 random emulation handheld or a soldering iron is one thing. Spending $500+ on a handheld is a bit more risky.

StereoVsn

The Phawx has a video out. TLDR - its likely performance will be comparable with 7000 series model with a few potential upside caveats which are mainly Windows side. 32GB will be quite attractive and Manjaro could be interesting. And price for 7000 series is pretty good.

Edit: Wonder if the cheaper pricing for 7K units will be present in Europe / NA / Japan /etc... and if 32GB model will actually be available. Wouldn't be super shocked if they lock it to 8000 series models.

Last edited:
Top Bottom