• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive Edition releasing March 11th on XB1/W10

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Is there any word when the PC versions will release? In a week... In a month...in a year?

Easy mode is great for me, I don't have the time to replay the same section over and over. It's why I gave up playing the original despite loving the game. Looking forward to playing this on Friday!

You guys have NO idea how excited I am for this. Like SUPER excited.

I loved EVERY SINGLE BIT of this game soooo much. I beat it right before Bloodborne came out and I'm so glad I did.

This and Bloodborne were tied for my GOTY for 2015. They're 2 different games and both were great and I can't pick one over the other.

Music and atmosphere/graphics were just top notch to match the top notch platforming.

Actually I take part of that back, I don't like some of the achievements. 3 hour speedrun is not for me. I like taking my time. I hope there's not an achievement for doing the single life run because that'll never happen. I can at least attempt 3 hour speed run. I'm curious how the DE will change trying to get that achievement sine there are more areas.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
So, some clarification.

I have the base game. I have 1000 gamerscore and a few completed save files. 1 of which is a true 100% save file.

What happens once I buy the upgrade? Am I starting all over? Will it add extra achievements to my existing ones?

So, some clarification.

I have the base game. I have 1000 gamerscore and a few completed save files. 1 of which is a true 100% save file.

What happens once I buy the upgrade? Am I starting all over? Will it add extra achievements to my existing ones?

They are separeted games, saves and achievements You will start new on the new game.

Vert boil

https://twitter.com/PMaka1991/status/707682567772835840

Looks like the DE version will have 1250gs.

The new (250gs) achievements,
Raider Run (15gs)
Escape the Boulder in Black Root Burrows
^^this one could be considered a spoiler

Out of the Darkness (20gs)
Uncover the mysteries of Naru
^^Not a spoiler unless you're avoiding all info

Lightning Fast (15gs)
Kill 5 enemies using Charge Dash

Explosive Lobb (15gs)
Activate torches using Light Burst

Light Burst Master (25gs)
Kill 50 enemies with Light Burst

Formidable (75gs)
Complete the game on Hard Difficulty

Unhinged (85gs)
Complete the game on One Life Difficulty

Magnus

Any opinions on whether it's better to get this on the XB1 or PC? Looking forward to finally playing this game for the first time. DE seems to be the way to go!

Wish it was the 11th already, want to play this so badly and love this game. also to whoever can go throughout this entire game without dying I don't believe you are human because I can only get an hour through the game before I die and that is the most stressful hour of my life.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
https://twitter.com/PMaka1991/status/707682567772835840

Looks like the DE version will have 1250gs.

The new (250gs) achievements,
Raider Run (15gs)
Escape the Boulder in Black Root Burrows
^^this one could be considered a spoiler

Out of the Darkness (20gs)
Uncover the mysteries of Naru
^^Not a spoiler unless you're avoiding all info

Lightning Fast (15gs)
Kill 5 enemies using Charge Dash

Explosive Lobb (15gs)
Activate torches using Light Burst

Light Burst Master (25gs)
Kill 50 enemies with Light Burst

Formidable (75gs)
Complete the game on Hard Difficulty

Unhinged (85gs)
Complete the game on One Life Difficulty

So I'm basically buying a second copy of the game and have to do those original achievements again?

No thanks if that's the case.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Yeah after reading more, it definitely looks like it's a completely separate game will not only require I play through the game again, but also get all those same achievements again.

Sorry but no. I'm out. So disappointed in that. Not doing all those achievements again. No way no how. Especially with a building backlog and Quantum Break, Ratchet and Clank, StarFox, Uncharted and KI Season 3 all around the corner.

Sorry Thomas, I love love LOVE Ori, but I can't do all that again.

Kiyo

Yeah after reading more, it definitely looks like it's a completely separate game will not only require I play through the game again, but also get all those same achievements again.

Sorry but no. I'm out. So disappointed in that. Not doing all those achievements again. No way no how. Especially with a building backlog and Quantum Break, Ratchet and Clank, StarFox, Uncharted and KI Season 3 all around the corner.

Unfortunately the same for me. Was super interested in this but if our saves can't carry over then I'm out as well. Too many games are out or coming out to take up my time and while I would have loved to check out the new content and features, I can't really spare the time to play through the whole game again.

RowdyReverb

Don't you have to start a new game anyway once you beat it?

Downloading my review code now. Looking forward to replaying the game.

Let us know what you think! We're on pins and needles to see how people feel about the DE - We put so much hard work into it and together with the DLC Areas tried to address every single one of the criticisms people seemed to have, so we can't wait to see the response! :)

dLMN8R

The entire point of the definitive edition is that there's a ton of stuff that's brand new and weaved throughout the entire game, not just some expansion at the end.

Given that, what difference does it make whether it's a completely separate title or a replacement of the same one?

Ricker

I was one who was disappointed in this game on the X1 in the sense that I thought it got too hard too early,especially since I thought it looked awesome,music was great etc etc but couldn't get past 25% of the game...but hey,for 5 bucks more I would of payed that just the same but now with and easy mode,I might actually finish this lol...good news all around.

RowdyReverb

There can't be a new game+ mode? Having to replay the game again and getting 100% again sounds like a chore if I just want the new content.
I can agree with that I suppose. It's kind of a pain to have to play through the whole game just to see the new stuff. I just beat the base game like a month ago, so I'll just tuck this away for a rainy day when I get in the mood to replay it.
This update fixes that. Now you can go back and collect what you missed after you beat it. So myself, and I assume others, were hoping that would get patched into the current game too.
Oh damn, I missed that part. That is kind of lame.

The entire point of the definitive edition is that there's a ton of stuff that's brand new and weaved throughout the entire game, not just some expansion at the end.

Given that, what difference does it make whether it's a completely separate title or a replacement of the same one?

One difference is the fact that they abandoned the original game in the process. Sucks for the people who don't buy the DLC.

dLMN8R

Because they abandon the original game in the process. Sucks for the people who don't buy the DLC.

Well I mean, that's a different argument entirely, right?

I'm specifically referring to people already planning to spend $5 to upgrade - there's really no difference between upgrading the base game and treating it as an entirely different title in the catalog.

As someone who easily thought Ori was the best game of 2015 with the biggest complaint being the lack of backtracking to a couple areas (pretty minor in the grand scheme of things), I'll happily plunk down $5 to get that addition + a ton of extra new stuff.

There can't be a new game+ mode? Having to replay the game again and getting 100% again sounds like a chore if I just want to play the new content.

That's part of the reason why we decided not to 'really' do a New Game +. We initially had New Game + in the game, which unlocked once you beat the game, but we felt like with the DE, a lot of people had already beaten the game and wouldn't want to do it again just to unlock it. So our New Game + turned into the 'Hard' Difficulty Mode. The new DLC areas can be accessed in all difficulty modes.

Hard and One Life Mode are no joke though and should only be played if you're a really good Ori player :)

Btw, this doens't mean that you can't go back into the game once you beat it, cause you totally can now as well :)

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Don't you have to start a new game anyway once you beat it?

That's what new game plus should be for.

Because getting those fucking achievements again will be a chore?

There can't be a new game+ mode? Having to replay the game again and getting 100% again sounds like a chore if I just want to play the new content.

Yup.

This update fixes that. Now you can go back and collect what you missed after you beat it. So myself, and I assume others, were hoping that would get patched into the current game too.

Correct. It should have been. Kinda annoyed now that I won't be getting this. But I just can't justify it. It's not the money, it's the TIME investment.

I was hoping I'd be able to just either pick New Game plus and go to the new area and get the new achievements. All good.

Or pick a completed save and go back.

But to start COMPLETELY from scratch as if I never played the first game. Poor decision in my opinion.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
That's part of the reason why we decided not to 'really' do a New Game +. We initially had New Game + in the game, which unlocked once you beat the game, but we felt like with the DE, a lot of people had already beaten the game and wouldn't want to do it again just to unlock it. So our New Game + turned into the 'Hard' Difficulty Mode. The new DLC areas can be accessed in all difficulty modes.

Hard and One Life Mode are no joke though and should only be played if you're a really good Ori player :)

Btw, this doens't mean that you can't go back into the game once you beat it, cause you totally can now as well :)

So there was no way to add New Game Plus to existing saves?

SOR5

Will we be seeing more of the Ori IP or is that strictly in the hands of MS now?

DE is going to be amazing, cant wait

But to start COMPLETELY from scratch as if I never played the first game. Poor decision in my opinion.

I understand that some people might be frustrated, but we didn't want to just add separate stuff on top of the existing package. The world has changed now, the map is different, you'll gain new abilities that you can use everywhere and there are extras you can only get if you use the new abilities, etc. - There was really no way to patch the game and have it all magically working with all the changes we made. So we had to decide between not adding all that much, so we can keep things intact, or going in full-force and doing what we thought would make the game a whole lot better - and we chose the latter.

If you played Ori before, it's not that crazy long of a game to beat. The first playthrough will take you a good 15 hours or so, especially if you want to get everything, but your second playthrough will be much faster. It's not a 70h+ RPG. So if you don't feel like playing through it again right now, just get the Definitive Edition when you want to play Ori again in the future :)

I can't believe this is how it's being handled.

So disappointing.

epmode

It sounds like Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition; Improvements and additions spread over the entire game. It would be impossible to transplant your save from the old version to the new. I had no problem with it in Divinity's case and I'm OK with Ori doing the same.

Actually, Ori has it better since it's a significantly shorter game than D:OS.

I guess people complaining about having to replay for NG+ could download a save or something, if they're on PC.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I understand that some people might be frustrated, but we didn't want to just add separate stuff on top of the existing package. The world has changed now, the map is different, you'll gain new abilities that you can use everywhere and there are extras you can only get if you use the new abilities, etc. - There was really no way to patch the game and have it all magically working with all the changes we made.

If you played Ori before, it's not that crazy long of a game to beat. The first playthrough will take you a good 15 hours or so, especially if you want to get everything, but your second playthrough will be much faster. It's not a 70h+ RPG. So if you don't feel like playing through it again right now, just get the Definitive Edition when you want to play Ori again in the future :)

As an achievement whore, it's just a bit too much unfortunately. I truly adored the game, but my gaming time is way too limited these days (especially now that child no.2 has arrived) to justify starting from scratch.

Remember, I won't just be playing the game once. I'll be playing for the 1250 achievements which is a significant time investment. One I just can't afford. Which does make me sad.

Nobody is forcing you to re-play it right now - just wait a little if you don't want go right back in. We won't mind and we appreciate you supporting us by buying Ori in the first place :)

If you get the Ori itch in the future, try the DE - It's a better version of the original and I hope you'll like the changes we made!

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Nobody is forcing you to re-play it right now - just wait a little if you don't want go right back in. We won't mind and we appreciate you supporting us by buying Ori in the first place :)

If you get the Ori itch in the future, try the DE - It's a better version of the original and I hope you'll like the changes we made!

I don't want to derail too much and make it sound like I'm throwing too much criticism your way.

It's not replaying the game that bothers me. Not at all. It's needing to replay the game multiple times to get the full achievements. It's more the achievement thing that bothers me.

Id be MORE than happy to play through the game again from start to finish one more time to experience everything new. But to get all the achievements again, plus the new ones, id have to play through the game again multiple times. Not just once. It's just a time thing more than anything else.

Really wish the achievements stacked onto the original ones.

tuna_love

Banned
I don't want to derail too much and make it sound like I'm throwing too much criticism your way.

It's not replaying the game that bothers me. Not at all. It's needing to replay the game multiple times to get the full achievements. It's more the achievement thing that bothers me.

If be MORE than happy to play through the game again from start to finish one more time to experience everything new. But to get all the achievements again, plus the new ones, if have to play through the game again multiple times. Not just once. It's just a time thing more than anything else.

Really wish the achievements stacked onto the original ones.
what would happen if you didn't get the achievements?

Top Bottom