• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Origin $20 off coupon [Expired - EA states they're honoring games]

iNvid02

I got Back to Kharkand, Spore, creepy and cute pack, Saboteur and Battlefield 2142. Glad I got the kharkand.

ho3V2.png

edit: damn it wario

Pikma

Banned
Poor EA, they can't do good, but to be honest, the shitstorm would have been even bigger if they tried to remove our game, just imagine, EA vs. GAF, that would have been ugly.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
BS, their support seems like it's run by internet teens. I got misspelled words and straight up street slang. Very unprofessional and on top of that, they couldn't merge my 2 accounts.

Wario was not even interested in PC gaming 6 months ago whereas currently he single-handedly installed Origin on like 3000 PCs.

Can you believe it?

The power he commands?

Ferga

Anyone else have a problem with hot pursuit's auto log thing?

Says my cd key has been used above its maximum limit or something along those lines

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a site like "Big DRM List for Steam" that says which Origin games have hardware (or software) DRM?

I don't want SecuROM or any other nasty DRM on my computer.

edit - found this: http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/content.php/64-EA-Origin-DRM-List
Yup, that's what made me pass on the Dead Spaces. Shame, because the first one doesn't have DRM, and when I realised that, it was already too late to get it. And that's why I passed on MoH 2010 too.

Unless you're wanting to play multiplayer, which is dead, you can just make an offline profile.
I'd like to play it (and NFS Hot Pursuit). If anyone wants to add me, my ID is the same as my GAF username.

inm8num2

Yup, that's what made me pass on the Dead Spaces. Shame, because the first one doesn't have DRM, and when I realised that, it was already too late to get it. And that's why I passed on MoH 2010 too.

I'd like to play it (and NFS Hot Pursuit). If anyone wants to add me, my ID is the same as my GAF username.

I'm assuming that the games on the list without (SecuROM) next to them don't have additional hardware DRM. I guess that makes Dragon Age and the Awakenings expansion safe for installing.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
hot pursuit has solidshield DRM, thats pretty bad.
But... but according to this site, it doesn't have it anymore. Am I screwed? :(

http://steamdrm.flibitijibibo.com/index.php?page=DRM_Lists/The_Big_DRM_List

Dragon Age 2 and Battlefield Bad Company 2 both appear to have it removed to, while Mirror's Edge, NFS Undercover and Burnout Paradise aren't mentioned to have SecuROM. Whom should I believe?

lol welp better get uninstalling then, RionaaM!
Fuck, I've already installed Burnout Paradise! Is there any way to check if that shitty DRM is installed on my PC? I looked in Windows' Programs and Features but didn't see it listed.

Ah, it doesn't say so on the store page either, so you should be good to go then.

EDIT: Well, it says this.

Online Gameplay: Broadband connection for online activation and online gameplay - 512 Kbps or faster

The gameplay part is obvious, but activation not so much. No mention of Solidshield though.
With any luck there's no DRM, and no activation limit. I don't mind about having to validate my key, and have it bounded to my account or something like that.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
But... but according to this site, it doesn't have it anymore. Am I screwed? :(

http://steamdrm.flibitijibibo.com/index.php?page=DRM_Lists/The_Big_DRM_List

Dragon Age 2 and Battlefield Bad Company 2 both appear to have it removed to, while Mirror's Edge, NFS Undercover and Burnout Paradise aren't mentioned to have SecuROM. Whom should I believe?

Ah, it doesn't say so on the store page either, so you should be good to go then.

EDIT: Well, it says this.

Online Gameplay: Broadband connection for online activation and online gameplay - 512 Kbps or faster

The gameplay part is obvious, but activation not so much. No mention of Solidshield though.

smurfx

get some go again
are the download servers giving good speeds? i want to try downloading mirrors edge but i don't want to wait forever.

Truespeed

A lot of people think they're talking to a real person when they chat with EA support. In reality they're actually interacting with an expert system I wrote for them when I interned there. And you're welcome.

BillyBats

Banned
No one feels shitty about taking advantage of this? I imagine some here are the same people that spot a 50 inch tv advertised for misprinted .25 cents and demand the product for that price. I know the "This is why we can't have nice things." meme but it applies a bit here. Right now some poor working stiffs at EA are getting chewed out and written up by some dipshit upper management over coding the coupon wrong. It's just that everyone, everywhere, at all times have to constantly watch their back because someone/everyone is at the ready to fuck them up the ass. YAY! And I know bu bu bu EA evil...shut the fuck up already. I see lines around the fucking block for Apple products even though their offices in China are surrounded by suicide nets. No, EA is evil.

This shit reminds me of this cool little restaurant down the street from me that has an All You Can Eat fish and chips on Fridays, or should say FUCKING HAD! They had to stop it because people decided to take their whole family and just pay for one plate and feed the whole table (because, you know, it didn't specify it anywhere). Well, you would think that the normal, decorum having people in this lovely society would understand that obviously the all you can eat was for each person. Nope, the restaurant got into enough shit trying to explain it to people that they had to stop it. No notice or signs on the menu helped. So fuck the average person from enjoying this because of the greediness of a few.

So tee hee, enjoy all the free games you won't play, tee hee, lol, little :)'s and all that.

dEvAnGeL

NFS hot pursuit still uses solidshield DRM

i just grabbed this from the game page

INTERNET CONNECTION, ONLINE AUTHENTICATION AND ACCEPTANCE OF END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT REQUIRED TO PLAY. ACCESS TO ONLINE SERVICES AND OR FEATURES REQUIRES AN EA ACCOUNT AND GAME REGISTRATION WITH THE ENCLOSED ONE-TIME USE SERIAL CODE. REGISTRATION IS LIMITED TO ONE EA ACCOUNT PER SERIAL CODE AND IS NON-TRANSFERABLE. EA ONLINE PRIVACY POLICY AND TERMS OF SERVICE CAN BE FOUND AT WWW.EA.COM. YOU MUST BE 13+ TO REGISTER FOR AN EA ACCOUNT. GAME USES SOLIDSHIELD CONTENT PROTECTION TECHNOLOGY. (WWW.SOLIDSHIELD.COM). GAME CAN BE PLAYED ON UP TO FIVE COMPUTERS AT THE SAME TIME; USERS CAN MANAGE WHICH COMPUTERS ARE AUTHORIZED OR DE-AUTHORIZED TO PLAY GAME. VISIT HTTP://ACTIVATE.EA.COM/DEAUTHORIZE/ FOR MORE INFORMATION ON DE-AUTHORIZATION. EA MAY RETIRE ONLINE SERVICES AFTER 30 DAYS NOTICE POSTED ON WWW.EA.COM/2/SERVICE-UPDATES.

I took advantage of the deal and got 3 games but now the game I purchased on Origin two years ago, Dragon Age Origins, is completlty missing from my games list and I dont see it on my desktop. WTF

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

INTERNET CONNECTION, ONLINE AUTHENTICATION AND ACCEPTANCE OF END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT REQUIRED TO PLAY. ACCESS TO ONLINE SERVICES AND OR FEATURES REQUIRES AN EA ACCOUNT AND GAME REGISTRATION WITH THE ENCLOSED ONE-TIME USE SERIAL CODE. REGISTRATION IS LIMITED TO ONE EA ACCOUNT PER SERIAL CODE AND IS NON-TRANSFERABLE. EA ONLINE PRIVACY POLICY AND TERMS OF SERVICE CAN BE FOUND AT WWW.EA.COM. YOU MUST BE 13+ TO REGISTER FOR AN EA ACCOUNT. GAME USES SOLIDSHIELD CONTENT PROTECTION TECHNOLOGY. (WWW.SOLIDSHIELD.COM). GAME CAN BE PLAYED ON UP TO FIVE COMPUTERS AT THE SAME TIME; USERS CAN MANAGE WHICH COMPUTERS ARE AUTHORIZED OR DE-AUTHORIZED TO PLAY GAME. VISIT HTTP://ACTIVATE.EA.COM/DEAUTHORIZE/ FOR MORE INFORMATION ON DE-AUTHORIZATION. EA MAY RETIRE ONLINE SERVICES AFTER 30 DAYS NOTICE POSTED ON WWW.EA.COM/2/SERVICE-UPDATES.

This is probably what's preventing me from playing the game

Deadbeat

Banned
I feel like I missed the chance at gaming the system. I could have grabbed a ton of stuff for free but I didnt. I only grabbed what mildly interested me. If someone were up to it, they should make a gif with the scene where sideshow bob says he should have made more demands when he had that nuke.

Croc

Banned
No one feels shitty about taking advantage of this? I imagine some here are the same people that spot a 50 inch tv advertised for misprinted .25 cents and demand the product for that price. I know the "This is why we can't have nice things." meme but it applies a bit here. Right now some poor working stiffs at EA are getting chewed out and written up by some dipshit upper management over coding the coupon wrong. It's just that everyone, everywhere, at all times have to constantly watch their back because someone/everyone is at the ready to fuck them up the ass. YAY! And I know bu bu bu EA evil...shut the fuck up already. I see lines around the fucking block for Apple products even though their offices in China are surrounded by suicide nets. No, EA is evil.

This shit reminds me of this cool little restaurant down the street from me that has an All You Can Eat fish and chips on Fridays, or should say FUCKING HAD! They had to stop it because people decided to take their whole family and just pay for one plate and feed the whole table (because, you know, it didn't specify it anywhere). Well, you would think that the normal, decorum having people in this lovely society would understand that obviously the all you can eat was for each person. Nope, the restaurant got into enough shit trying to explain it to people that they had to stop it. No notice or signs on the menu helped. So fuck the average person from enjoying this because of the greediness of a few.

So tee hee, enjoy all the free games you won't play, tee hee, lol, little :)'s and all that.

Hahahahah

It's not like they weren't already planning on giving out free games. They just gave out a few more than they were planning, if it was actually a screw up and not on purpose.

Psi

Another person who doesn't seem to be able to differentiate physical and digital goods.

They could have revoked all of the free games if they wanted. They just decided the bad PR from it was worth less than the positive advertising and getting Origin on the computers of more people.

jediyoshi

No one feels shitty about taking advantage of this? I imagine some here are the same people that spot a 50 inch tv advertised for misprinted .25 cents and demand the product for that price.

You literally couldn't pipe the games back to EA if you wanted to, there's a distinction in there somewhere.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

I don't want to go into the whole piracy analogy but in reality what did EA really lose? You're trying to compare physical goods to digital goods. Their intentions were to give out free games until the 21st. Their supply just got cut a little short because some people went overboard (myself included) and then cut it off while they could.

I guess I can feel slightly bad for those not fast enough to jump on this offer. But no regrets.

That nice restaurant of yours could've put up a big sign right outside of their door clearly stating "AYCE is for one paying customer only" or something. Problem solved.

HoosTrax

The only thing it costs EA is the cost of the bandwidth used to deliver the digital content.

Consider this - Valve allows Steam keys to be sold by Amazon as well as given out through Humble Bundle and other indie bundles, which again costs them bandwidth if the person chooses to download through Steam instead of Amazon / Humble Store. Yet they continue to allow this. Think about why.

I want to respond to this meanly but when one dog goes one way and the other dog goes the other way, whaddya want from me?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Great, I looked at the store pages for the other games and almost all of them have DRM: Bad Company 2, Burnout Paradise (haven't found any SecuROM key on Windows Registry, maybe it only activates once I launch the game -I hope!), Mirror's Edge, NFS Undercover... What should I do?

iNvid02

i had some issues activating hot pursuit after i reinstalled it, the pos solidshield activation was saying my limit had been passed but this was impossible. i couldnt fix it, but a little while later it managed to fix itself. i think it had something to do with downloading the latest patch for the game before activating, i cant remember. but yeah, solidshield is pretty much on par with securom, its all bullshit. had the exact same issue with ac brotherhood more recently

The only thing it costs EA is the cost of the bandwidth used to deliver the digital content.

Consider this - Valve allows Steam keys to be sold by Amazon as well as given out through Humble Bundle and other indie bundles, which again costs them bandwidth if the person chooses to download through Steam instead of Amazon / Humble Store. Yet they continue to allow this. Think about why.

yup, and just look at where origin is right now - this is a miracle for them

Eh. It's only positive if people actually start buying stuff, right?

Yes and no. A lot of people got a first look of Origin now and maybe didn't find it all that bad as compared to what they were used to (Steam, Gog). Which may make them consider actually using it (and purchasing games through it). But the fact that they've already installed it on their computers is an important first step. So it's excellent advertising.

Also lots of people browsed the Origin store and saw what was on offer (and grabbed everything that was free. :))

Top Bottom