• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Origin $20 off coupon [Expired - EA states they're honoring games]

Ploid 3.0

If it leads to sales, sure.

Any

Now people with these games on origin will probably use it more often. I had a few games on it but right now I have origin open and it's front page has games on it, something that caught my eye. Some people may end up seeing something they want.

Papytendo

Hi everyone,

Last week, we emailed some Origin users in North America asking them to participate in an online survey, and offered a promo code for $20 off their next Origin purchase in return for completing the survey. Unfortunately, due to some misuses of the promo code, we had to discontinue its use early before its stated expiration date.

We wanted to clear up the confusion: all users that completed the survey will receive an email soon (in the next 1-2 days) which will contain a new code for $20 off a purchase of any EA game on Origin priced $19.99 or above.

Thank you again to all users that took the time to provide us with feedback about Origin.
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9047546.page

inb4 it happens again

Ploid 3.0

So people that did the survey can get up to $40 off total if they already used the first? I'm guessing they have something in place to mark your account if you used the first coupon.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
i had some issues activating hot pursuit after i reinstalled it, the pos solidshield activation was saying my limit had been passed but this was impossible. i couldnt fix it, but a little while later it managed to fix itself. i think it had something to do with downloading the latest patch for the game before activating, i cant remember. but yeah, solidshield is pretty much on par with securom, its all bullshit. had the exact same issue with ac brotherhood more recently
So... should I install them, or what? I really want to play Burnout and NFS:HP, and Bad Company 2 is also tempting. But SecuROM/SolidShield seems too big of a price.

t-ramp

I did the survey, actually, just in case I needed to to use the code. Obviously not. A friend made an account Friday night just for the occasion and apparently got 20-some games. I ended up with 12. Good on EA for just letting people keep the games.

Except not at all, you guys can pretend all you want. This isn't a positive thing for them.
I think to a large extent this didn't really hurt them, since a lot of the games that were claimed wouldn't have been purchased otherwise. However, I know I really wanted to play Dead Space at some point, and now that I have them for free won't have to pay for it.

dEvAnGeL

how bad is this solidshield DRM? is it as bad as securom? i dont care about the times you can activate the game since it was free and im sure i wont be playing it for more than 2 months, my question is, does it mess up your computer up like securom did?

iNvid02

how bad is this solidshield DRM? is it as bad as securom? i dont care about the times you can activate the game since it was free and im sure i wont be playing it for more than 2 months, my question is, does it mess up your computer up like securom did?

So... should I install them, or what? I really want to play Burnout and NFS:HP, and Bad Company 2 is also tempting. But SecuROM/SolidShield seems too big of a price.

Its not exactly like Securom so it wont interfere with other software, but it does share common features like sometimes just not activating a game for whatever reason - i've experienced this firsthand with both ACB and HP.

I would advise against skipping HP because

1. its a brilliant game
2. after activation the DRM wont bother you again

nfs11201207291514068377oi4.png
nfs112012072915115681rrrkj.png

nfs11_2012_06_16_23_29odmd.png
89kn3fmuak.png

iNvid02

so EA said OK we're gonna give a new coupon to the survey guys who got stiffed as a result - instead of just saying thanks or moving along, you get stuff like this

I still want an official reply from EA to my previous query: Is it the position of EA to enable people who illicitly acquired games? Also, if you could touch on the decision as to why no action will be taken, and how EA as a company justifies those people keeping the games they stole, while putting customers who did not steal in a disadventageous position.

To put it simply, is EA ok with some people getting hundreds of dollars worth of products through illegitimate means, while others who followed the rules get their coupon at some later date, after going through this trouble? Would this be a fair assesment of the situation from a consumer point of view?

fucking hell lol

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
so EA said OK we're gonna give a new coupon to the survey guys who got stiffed as a result - instead of just saying thanks or moving along, you get stuff like this

fucking hell lol

Some people just want to watch the world burn...

fucking hell lol

He's jealous that he was late to the party, and will only get 1 game out of his survey code now. EA forums have been fun lately. :p

Tellaerin

I feel like telling this guy, "Dude, if EA doesn't care enough about it to do anything, why should you? Stop bitching and enjoy your free game."

iNvid02

I feel like telling this guy, "Dude, if EA doesn't care enough about it to do anything, why should you? Stop bitching and enjoy your free game."

or just link him to this thread where everyone posted pics of their free games

LOOK AT WHAT YOU MISSED

KuGsj.gif

If this happens again, people will abuse Origin until its eyes pop out.

Hopefully it does happen, I want a few EA games.

I didn't abuse the last voucher (got 2 games) but this time I'd get everything I can, just to punish them for their stupidity, IF they let it happen twice, which is very improbable.

Yep, seems like he's maaaad.

realdanhill via ea forums said:
I'm not going to applaud them for making it right, they literally did the least they could do by honoring their deal they had in the first place. I don't think that is something to necessarily be "applauded", but it is a good thing.

I understand users will have many different opinions, as I have mine. I will still wait for an official communication from the company. Some will say stealing is stealing, that it is a relatively fair parallel to draw, others will disagree. While I do love to hear the opinions of everyone who posts here and appreciate the time involved in doing so, please understand that an official word from EA is what is important to me, and what will determine my and possibly others' futures as consumers.

Edit: Also, their PR concerns are certainly not my concerns. As far as what concerns me is the actions they take when faced with the question of doing the right thing, by revoking the content that was stolen and enforcing their own business integrity and the integrity of the average consumer who, at this juncture, does not want to see a company (that holds plenty of personal information I might add) kowtowing to thieves. If it is the opinion of EA that protecting their own assets would be considered "bad PR", it is not a company I want to do business with and share information with, that's for sure.

Man, it's not stupidity. Up until last weekend Origin had all kinds of shit thrown at it (and most of it was true) and suddenly people who vowed never to support EA again created an account and got 30 games in 2 days. Not just that, they even downloaded the games.

And yes, gaffers and a clever bunch and will not knowingly pay money to EA using Origin, but imagine the whole other lot of people who suddenly got so many EA games for free...

EA just gave free licenses for their games. It's not their loss when Origin is suddenly considered a new, real competitor in the digital distribution arena.

iNvid02

Man, it's not stupidity. Up until last weekend Origin had all kinds of shit thrown at it (and most of it was true)

i've been using it regularly since it came out coz of fifa and havent had any major issues with the program itself. the only stuff i saw on gaf was the usual "but its ea/origin" from the steam fans

i've been using it regularly since it came out coz of fifa and havent had any major issues with the program itself. the only stuff i saw on gaf was the usual "but its ea/origin" from the steam fans

I've been using it regularly since BF3 came out. BF3.exe still stops working at times, but this has nothing to do with Origin, which is awesome with all other games I own on it.

A few months ago there was a rumour that Origin gathers all kinds of info from our PCs and is a virus or something, can't remember, that's the shit I was talking about.

iNvid02

A few months ago there was a rumour that Origin gathers all kinds of info from our PCs and is a virus or something, can't remember, that's the shit I was talking about.

oh yeah i remember the outcry - and it was totally justified, they basically wanted to collect anonymous info about your PC (which is fine, most companies do) but combine it with some personal info for marketing.

they revised it and removed the personal info/marketing bit after people said fuck that, now its just "nonpersonally identifiable data, including computer configuration, software usage, and peripherals connected to improve our products/services"

benjipwns

Banned
Origin isn't great, and was pretty bad early on, but it has easily gotten better. Nobody used to rave about Impulse and Origin is more or less the same only with EA's deep catalog instead of Stardock's as the exclusive titles.

FGMPR

Banned
Origin is completely fucking useless in Australia because every price is grossly inflated and the sales never seem to happen. It's like they aren't even trying.

I would of taken the free games I guess (if I had seen the thread in time), but it wouldn't have changed a thing in that Origin won't get any sales from me until they fix their prices.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Its not exactly like Securom so it wont interfere with other software, but it does share common features like sometimes just not activating a game for whatever reason - i've experienced this firsthand with both ACB and HP.

I would advise against skipping HP because

1. its a brilliant game
2. after activation the DRM wont bother you again
And the version of SecuROM these games have can make my PC slower, or have some problems with other software? I'll probably play NFS:HP then, if SolidShield isn't that bad.

Dead Space 2 has SolidShield too, right? If then, and only if NFS:HP' doesn't have any problem with it, I may cave in and buy the games from that series.

Derrick01

Banned
Man I forgot just how bad Mercenaries 2 was. We deserve a new one that's given the proper level of attention and running on Frostbite 2.

KissVibes

Banned
How exactly are we all thieves according to them. We simply used the unilateral key EA gave out to it's full extent. I feel like being thieves implies that we hacked the system to make that possible or somehow stole coupon codes.

I just don't understand why the sling mud at us for stylin' on them and their late asses.

benjipwns

Banned
How exactly are we all thieves according to them. We simply used the unilateral key EA gave out to it's full extent. I feel like being thieves implies that we hacked the system to make that possible or somehow stole coupon codes.

I just don't understand why the sling mud at us for stylin' on them and their late asses.
You did something they couldn't do (if only because they didn't know about it) and don't like. Thus, you stole from them.
Man I forgot just how bad Mercenaries 2 was. We deserve a new one that's given the proper level of attention and running on Frostbite 2.
IT'S THE MERC

Megasoum

Banned
Where do they learn American street slang? Are they given a manual?

My dad worked for Air Canada his whole life and he was telling me that when they transfered all the call center to India there was people over there training Indians Québec slang and accent so that they sound like genuine quebecer. They obviously didn't sound anything like quebecers but anyway lol.

benjipwns

Banned
My dad worked for Air Canada his whole life and he was telling me that when they transfered all the call center to India there was people over there training Indians Québec slang and accent so that they sound like genuine quebecer. They obviously didn't sound anything like quebecers but anyway lol.
Yeah, they do this. I got a guy once trying to do a bad Texas accent for whatever reason (I'm not near Texas) and I couldn't understand him on numbers or crap and asked if he could just do British English or something (which is probably insulting but was the first thing I thought of) and he was all "*thankful sigh* of course I can, sir" and it was fine.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
For curiosity sake where was it first figured out that the coupon could be abused?

I'm asking because of this hack piece of journalism I found on CNET.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57532193-235/eas-headache-free-games-for-all-thanks-to-reddit/

EA's headache: Free games for all, thanks to Reddit

Vouchers, coupons, and discounts are often a good tool to entice new customers or promote a product. However, if discount codes are not secured properly, forums and social networking can become a real headache for the company involved.

That is exactly what happened to Electronic Arts over the weekend.

A single post on a gaming forum that included a discount code for $20 worth of software from EA's online store sparked a downloading spree, much to the delight of Reddit users after the code made its way to the popular link aggregation site. Not only could the code be used multiple times by multiple users, but due to its $20 tag, 44 games priced $19.99 or lower could be downloaded for free.

The code was originally a reward for customers who completed an online survey. Based on Redditors, it seems the code worked for about 18 hours before EA noticed the free gaming spree and cancelled it at 1:28 AM PT today. The late move didn't dampen the spirits of Reddit users -- who then changed the thread to post their hauls in delight.

Game downloads included Mass Effect 1, Dragon Age, Mercenaries 2: World in Flames, and FIFA Soccer 12.

The code was valid for the U.S. and Canadian customers. However, this didn't stop everyone -- as a workaround is possible by breaching the firm's terms of service and using a fake U.S. address on the billing page. It is not known how many games were downloaded in the window, but hundreds of Reddit comments later, you can imagine how many thrifty customers took advantage.

The aftermath for such promotion abuse is likely to pain not only EA, but also the customers who actually completed the survey and looked forward to using the coupon until its expiration date on October 21.
Gaming forum links to a gamefaqs post. Why would you write "Thank to Reddit"?

Top Bottom