• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Origin Thread of trying to get EA games for free

Derrick01

Banned
I got Sims 2 and the 7 or 8 expansions. That alone took about 2 hours to do with how slow the site was going last night. Also got:

Darkspore
Burnout Paradise Ultimate
Mercenaries 2
Sim City 4

Pretty good haul for $0.

iNvid02

I tried to use the code from the Origin $20 off coupon thread but it's not working.

its dead

i've been using origin regularly because of FIFA and there are a couple of things i like about it

- boots up fast, quicker than steam
- ability to hide games from view
- i prefer the regular box art games have over steams rectangles
- ability to install to any directory you want
- ability to change origin id very easily
- cloud saves show timestamps
- origin help usually replies the same day for most issues

but it needs to a lot to catch up to steam yet, i dont think there has been a good EU sale since it launched (excluding the recent everything for $0 fuckup).
there are no achievements, i think some older games still need manual installation and updating, no voice chat messages and no trading/gifting, lack of 3rd party games.

its perfectly useable how it is now, but some of the stuff its lacking is pretty important. they need to start implementing it soon or origin will remain the app that you launch to play a few ea games.

Zeliard

People who haven't tried Mirror's Edge till now - play it, love it, and then buy Mirror's Edge 2 to ensure that we get more.

One of the best new IPs to come out of this gen.

legacyzero

Banned
People who haven't tried Mirror's Edge till now - play it, love it, and then buy Mirror's Edge 2 to ensure that we get more.

One of the best new IPs to come out of this gen.

It was an awesome game for sure. If you like running from the cops like Trinity from The Matrix. Like... A LOT.

My haul:
zYbAw.jpg

Already had the Dragon Age games, Dead Space 1 ME2 (ME3 is just the demo) and BF3. I'll probably just end up installing, mess around for a few minutes and then uninstall most of the games I got though.

Messed around with Mirror's Edge and Hot Pursuit a little and they're not too bad. Mirror's Edge is very nice looking but just from the 30 minutes or so I've played, I already can tell I'll dislike the combat/disarming stuff.

My haul:
zYbAw.jpg

Already had the Dragon Age games, Dead Space 1 ME2 (ME3 is just the demo) and BF3. I'll probably just end up installing, mess around for a few minutes and then uninstall most of the games I got though.

Messed around with Mirror's Edge and Hot Pursuit a little and they're not too bad. Mirror's Edge is very nice looking but just from the 30 minutes or so I've played, I already can tell I'll dislike the combat/disarming stuff.

i just noticed the DAO and A make one image.

You guys know what? Origin ain't bad.

Especially the Customer Support. Live chat is a great improvement over Steam's mail us now and we might mail you back in a month. Although they have too many incompetent people on chat desk but it is a good idea.

fallagin

I got
c&c 3
c&c 4
red alert 3
red alert 3 uprising
darkspore
medal of honor airborne
Medal of honor(newer one)
spore
sim city 4

0$

Thanks Wario64!!

bigace33

For all you guys having trouble getting Bulletstorm to finish verifying, just click enter on your keyboard and it will go straight to the game and start to update.

finalhaul.jpg

Final haul was $0.

Finished off the night right when the coupon ended with the railroad simulator. I was getting desperate to find anything at that point. Only thing I guess I missed was the more classic C&C games. Nothing of value was lost.

900x900px-LL-d8fa6f2b_jblp1HfEJ1wdHK.png

bigace33

I'm confused. How is everyone getting these games for free?

By exploiting the EA's generosity of giving a code to get ONE free $19.99 game. Some savvy pirate figured a way around it and GAF turned to mindless savages and stole tons of games yesterday, yes I said it, STOLE.

tumblr_l4lj4naMgg1qapmr1.gif

alazz

Yep, Origin ain't bad. I was against it until I got a free copy of BF3 with my video card just recently, but the library is quicker, prettier, and simpler than Steam. Not that I prefer it to Steam, but for all the talk against it it does do somethings better. I like not having to run Origin to run games, too; Steam can take too long to load and launch games.

Was the free games in the EU store just a goof or was it part of coupon?

Pooya

The progress in Origin downloader updates very slowly, it sits there for like 30 seconds between each time speed and progress are refreshed.

I don't get Origin client hate though, it's not bad.

By exploiting the EA's generosity of giving a code to get ONE free $19.99 game. Some savvy pirate figured a way around it and GAF turned to mindless savages and stole tons of games yesterday, yes I said it, STOLE.

I like the "generosity" part. I assume we harrased their server pretty badly. I'm waiting for the next firing. We'll see who they blamed.

jediyoshi

The very savvy, dubious method of entering multiple items into checkout at once and then applying the code. An inside job, one would say.

alazz

Quite disappointed with Shift 2. If EA sues me I'll sue back saying that they exploited my expectations and time by following HP up with Shift 2.

Hahah, good luck there, buddy.
unless the image indicates you're joking?

bigace33

The very savvy, dubious method of entering multiple items into checkout at once and then applying the code. An inside job, one would say.

lol Yeah, honestly this is probably no big deal to EA. It's generated tons of traffic, probably thousands of new Origin users. If this was Physical copies I'd say some heads would roll, but digital changes this completely. Admittedly, I got 3 games myself from the deal. 8^(

Sullichin

Having to run it with games sucks because I like to launch all my games using Steam, so now I have to open Origin too when I play an EA game.

Just add them to steam. Works fine on the games I tried it with so far. A google image search will find you a grid image for any game (often pointing you back here actually).

Got Mass Effect 2, Crysis Warhead, Dead Space 2, Dragon Age 2, Burnout Paradise, NFS Hot Pursuit.

Just add them to steam. Works fine on the games I tried it with so far. A google image search will find you a grid image for any game (often pointing you back here actually).

Got Mass Effect 2, Crysis Warhead, Dead Space 2, Dragon Age 2, Burnout Paradise, NFS Hot Pursuit.

I asked Origin if I can add my Mass Effect from Steam to Origin, and they said it's impossible. Now I have a Mass Effect on my Origin. Who is laughing now Origin?
Probably them after removing all these games.

fallagin

You're just jealous you didn't get in on the action :D

Nibel

I don't want to know how many people who didn't use Origin in the past jumped on board when they saw the 20$ "deal"

jediyoshi

Is there a rule of thumb for what games require origin to run? Curious whether Hot Pursuit or the C&Cs need it. Gattling Gears does which bums me out a bit though it is a newer release. Fortunately Shift 2 doesn't.

Nabs

Is there a rule of thumb for what games require origin to run? Curious whether Hot Pursuit or the C&Cs need it. Gattling Gears does which bums me out a bit though it is a newer release. Fortunately Shift 2 doesn't.

Shank 2 and Gatling Gears are the two I picked up that require Origin so far. Fifa 12 does as well.

Got Crysis, Battlefield 2, and NFS: Hot Pursuit for 0 dollars and 0 cents, none of them requiring origin to play. In the words of Dolan, "everything was free."

Also, does anyone know if I can use a custom soundtrack in NFS? Or should I just run music outside of the game?

Whogie

Just registered some physical games to my library. That's kinda' nice.

Hot Pursuit does not.
I'm guessing everything released after ME3.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Playing Beards of Honor right now. Has zero flavor to it, but I'm apparently almost done already, so I'll see it through.

Hopefully The Saboteur is more to my liking. Can I use my Xdude pad with that?

2MF

I only got one game so I followed the spirit of the promotion.
That is, one game on each of my new 8 Origin accounts.

Top Bottom