• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar nominee Charlotte Rampling says diversity row is 'racist to white people'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not

Banned
^^ White men: hire other white men until they dominate their industry, then say it's racist when people ask them to appropriately correct the numbers. Then they'll start an argument over merit, as if their exclusive hiring and promoting of white men was merit-based. The system works.

D-d-d-damn

It definitely gets extremely complicated when talking about Latino/Hispanics. I mentioned in another topic, but it's not as simple as skin color when it comes to people of Latino origins. Like, Del Toro, despite being able to pass for a white person, is 'cursed' by his name in Hollywood. And it's like....racism isn't as simple as the color of the skin. It's by name, it's by where you were born, despite that black people do get the brunt of it because in a twisted way, they're the 'easiest' to discriminate against.

Hollywood has huge problems. Something like a stereotype is king when it comes to casting-typecasting for instance, is basically a person becoming 'one' with a stereo type that it hurts their success for future roles. And it can get complicated, like you mentioned. After all, it was the Spanish that created a system to differentiate between your skin color, who you were born to, and it was creepy. And hollywood seems to have a lite version of that, when it comes to Latino roles.

Hell, Óscar Hernández Estrada had to become Oscar Isaac in order to get any roles at all. Even though he was able to play a Polish guy in Show Me A Hero.

braves01

Banned
Perhaps a "Best Minority Performance" category should be implemented to guarantee better recognition, at least until there is more evidence of diversity in the overall nominations.

D-d-d-damn

Hell, Óscar Hernández Estrada had to become Oscar Isaac in order to get any roles at all. Even though he was able to play a Polish guy in Show Me A Hero.
not much has changed since the days Anthony Quinn used his stage name to get hired (born: Antonio Rodolfo Quinn Oaxaca) Keeping his mom's Irish name only while not including his Dad's name

damn shame

Perhaps a "Best Minority Performance" category should be implemented to guarantee better recognition, at least until there is more evidence of diversity in the overall nominations.
It's an idea, but it'd be treated like the Best Animated Movie award, where genuine possible Best Picture winners go to be ignored. It's the separate but equal award.

Yoda

They're already working on it. Won't help without vastly growing the membership, because becoming an Oscar voter is lifetime appointment. As long as you don't leave, you're in forever.

Potentially, but the critics are confused as well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/24/movies/oscars-so-white-or-oscars-so-dumb-discuss.html?_r=0

Confused about some of those terms? Oscar campaigning is a thing.

https://stephenfollows.com/much-hollywood-campaigns-oscar-cost/
  • Oscar voters are 94% white, 77% male and have a median age of 62.
  • 56% of ‘Best Picture’ nominees were released in either November or December.
  • The cost of a ‘Best Picture’ winning Oscar campaign is around $10 million
  • Half of all the money spent on Oscar campaigns will go on advertising
  • A page 1 advert in The Hollywood Reporter during Oscar season costs $72,000.
  • Crash (2005) spent $250,000 on DVD screeners
  • PR consultants are paid $10k-$15k, plus bonuses of $20k per nomination / win.
  • It costs around $3,500 to prepare a Hollywood actress for the red carpet
  • Oscar nominated films earn average of $12.7m more than films not nominated
  • A ‘Best Picture’ Oscar win is worth $3 million in increased box office gross
  • A Golden Globe win is worth $14.2 million
  • The non-financial benefits to studios of an Oscar ‘Best Picture’ are worth $7m
  • Best Actor winners can expect a $3.9m salary increase
  • It’s just $500k for Best Actress winners
  • It is possible to predict the Oscar winners with a success rate of 77% for Picture, 93% for Director, 77% for Actor, and 77% for Actress

https://wallethub.com/blog/economics-of-oscar-season/2124/

Merit indeed.

Why do the Oscars matter? It's not just the award. Hollywood cares about the Oscars. Oscar nominations and wins make careers. From the link above:

If it's this arbitrary then why value the award in the first place? If the other movies are already molding their narratives to pull on the strings of those who control the voting, than how does one expect a movie that does its own thing (for example SOoC) to be on a level playing field given your admission? I'm not going to disagree that is morally dubious, but they are a private organization and if this is how the nominating process "works" than perhaps they (the oscars) don't deserve the pedestal we place them on?

Infinite

If it's this arbitrary then why value the award in the first place? If the other movies are already molding their narratives to pull on the strings of those who control the voting, than how does one expect a movie that does its own thing (for example SOoC) to be on a level playing field given your admission? I'm not going to disagree that is morally dubious, but they are a private organization and if this is how the nominating process "works" than perhaps they (the oscars) don't deserve the pedestal we place them on?
We don't put the oscars on a pedestal Hollywood does.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/oscarssowhite?src=rela

It's trending off and on because no one cares? That makes zero sense.
You're looking at a bunch of stats regarding how Hollywood values the awards because winning them has real world value for the winners, but then questioning why the rest of the world cares about this? You're not making any sense. Of course regular people care about it after knowing they provide wealth and opportunity for the winners. It doesn't mean people give a shit that it exists, though.

Infinite

https://twitter.com/hashtag/oscarssowhite?src=rela

It's trending off and on because no one cares? That makes zero sense.
I don't think I said people don't care. I was responding to your posts which I thought asks why don't people just simply ignore the awards if they don't really matter? The short answer to that is Hollywood feeds off the Oscar. The slightly longer version of that is Hollywood is an industry and he oscars are apart of that industry. If poc actors, actresses, and movies based around the experiences of poc aren't being recognized by the oscars that sends a message to Hollywood saying these movies aren't worthwhile to make. Thus poc are left with less opportunity in the industry.

The point is to be recognized as equal to everyone else. Not to be special snowflakes. We don't need best minority, we need best actor to not default to best white actor.

I feel like this would be just as racist. All of the non-white nominees have to sit at the kiddie table and get their own segregated awards? Should there be a "best minority director, screenplay, etc." as well? I think this should be pretty straightforward: on one end diversify the academy, on the other celebrate and support good movies that employ diverse casts to encourage studios to hire like that more often.

braves01

Banned
I feel like this would be just as racist. All of the non-white nominees have to sit at the kiddie table and get their own segregated awards? Should there be a "best minority director, screenplay, etc." as well? I think this should be pretty straightforward: on one end diversify the academy, on the other celebrate and support good movies that employ diverse casts to encourage studios to hire like that more often.

It would be a middle step until the voting body is more diverse (through older voters dying off). It would be like black history month, as I heard it described in another thread here, a cast providing some support until it is no longer necessary to ensure recognition.

Yoda

You're looking at a bunch of stats regarding how Hollywood values the awards because winning them has real world value for the winners, but then questioning why the rest of the world cares about this? You're not making any sense. Of course regular people care about it after knowing they provide wealth and opportunity for the winners. It doesn't mean people give a shit that it exists, though.

Which stems from??? The awards being highly regarded, they didn't become highly regarded purely due to Hollywood Insiders, if no one watched them and/or people boycotted them en masse they would loose said significance, thus threatening the economic factor they play. It would force them to legitimately change their ways to maintain relevance, instead of the band-aids that social justice campaigns normally extract.

I don't think I said people don't care. I was responding to your posts which I thought asks why don't people just simply ignore the awards if they don't really matter? The short answer to that is Hollywood feeds off the Oscar. The slightly longer version of that is Hollywood is an industry and he oscars are apart of that industry. If poc actors, actresses, and movies based around the experiences of poc aren't being recognized by the oscars that sends a message to Hollywood saying these movies aren't worthwhile to make. Thus poc are left with less opportunity in the industry.

The post I was quoting boiled down to saying the award process was skewed, for example only certain flavors of movies being favored, thus those not being favored would know during pre-production that their chances of getting a nod from the academy was minimal. To me this is an absurd practice, which ought to be highlighted on the basis that it lowers to meaning of an the award itself, and as I mentioned above, if the awards' value is threatened, then said practice would have a reason to be changed.

Because, as I stated here, the effect of the awards is tangible.

It would be a middle step until the voting body is more diverse (through older voters dying off). It would be like black history month, as I heard it described in another thread here, a cast providing some support until it is no longer necessary to ensure recognition.

BHM wasn't provided as an alternative to improved curriculum though, or as a stopgap. It was intended to compensate. Here, this middle step would exist to ease voters into recognizing minority actors, but it would also be easily abused and argued "they get five guaranteed nominations per year!"

What I hate is how little we get Asian actors in good roles where they aren't acting as "Asian character". I feel they get more type casted than any other minority.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
this is a fine sentiment but the academy is 94% white and mostly old. making more diverse films doesn't guarantee more diverse awards when the jury pool is so homogeneous.

so basically the assumption is that old, white people must be racist because they aren't voting for black people this year? It is impossible that they are voting based on performance alone.

While that might not be reverse racism, it sure sounds like prejudice to me.

Which stems from??? The awards being highly regarded, they didn't become highly regarded purely due to Hollywood Insiders, if no one watched them and/or people boycotted them en masse they would loose said significance, thus threatening the economic factor they play. It would force them to legitimately change their ways to maintain relevance, instead of the band-aids that social justice campaigns normally extract.

Look at the comment below. A mass boycott is not going to happen. Convincing enough people who aren't directly affected is near impossible.

so basically the assumption is that old, white people must be racist because they aren't voting for black people this year? It is impossible that they are voting based on performance alone.

MaMDwWE.gif

A lack of diversity in selection team will result in a lack of diversity in the selections....

Btw your edit literally made your comment worse.

The Academy has never voted based on performances alone, get real.

andthebeatgoeson

We should do that in sports. Best scrappy player. Best gritty player. Best hard working player.

Vice

must be forum magic because I posted once. If I'd edited wouldn't it say so in the corner?

Not if you do it quickly. I do it all the time, you have a few minutes or until the next post to get away with it.

Just did it right here.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Not if you do it quickly. I do it all the time, you have a few minutes or until the next post to get away with it.

Just did it right here.

oh interesting. Maybe I did it subconsiously, I sometimes do if I spot a spelling mistake etc.

In that case I apologise to excelsiorlef

It's a fair assumption that the Academy has always been white men, so do you feel that the Academy has ever been an institution that allows racist ideals to determine the people they choose?

ETHICS IN MERIT-BASED POLITICAL MOTIVATION

That's got to be a bingo, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom