• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar nominee Charlotte Rampling says diversity row is 'racist to white people'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The structure for white people to vehemently deny that there is no issue in the system is unfortunately too damn strong.

You'd be lucky to get many people to identify it exists, let alone be able to explain why exactly such a power structure exists. And while we are on the topic of ignorance

While we're at it, they should probably bring in some people who actually watch animated films instead of 'my kids liked it so I voted for it fuck Chinese cartoons"

if that is the criteria that they judge the films on, then yeah, they really have no recompense. Really? Studio Ghibli(FUCKING PRINCESS KAGUYA EVEN) is now referred to as "crappy Chinese cartoons no one even cares about"? I thought it was a parody statement when i first heard about it

BBboy20

The Academy's viewpoint on animated flicks is so backwards. I still don't get how people keep being surprised by their narrowness.

Feep

Banned
People conflate racism with prejudice all the time.
Unrelated to the Oscars, but why can't non-white people be racist? The word, as I understand it, simply means believing one race is inherently superior to another. Black people can be racist against Mexicans. Chinese against Japanese.

And really, is there anything more than a semantic difference between those two words, anyway? It seems better to differentiate "racism" and "systemic racism" than "racism" and "prejudice".

Infinite

Unrelated to the Oscars, but why can't non-white people be racist? The word, as I understand it, simply means be living one race is inherently superior to another. Black people can be racist against Mexicans. Chinese against Japanese.

And really, is there anything more than a semantic difference between those two words, anyway? It seems better to differentiate "racism" and "systemic racism" than "racism" and "prejudice".
It's semantics.

Unrelated to the Oscars, but why can't non-white people be racist? The word, as I understand it, simply means be living one race is inherently superior to another. Black people can be racist against Mexicans. Chinese against Japanese.

I don't think that people are suggesting that non-white people cannot be racist against other non-white people. The idea is borne of white people being at the top, and thus the angle of racism meaning the belief of racial superiority, or racism as a structure, generally isn't directed from non-white people to white people. Clearly, playing Byakuya has blinded you to your privilege!

If it wasn't clear, that last line was a million </s>es and :ps

Shame that he didn't seem very invested in the question or movement, but his response isn't all that surprising.

Saucy_XL

Banned

Ya anyone who says it can't go both ways is mistaken (however it's not as common in the US thats for sure). I think there is a difference in those terms, like I would call those girls racist but not prejudist, which I think requires some amount of discrimination.

I mean if you were arguing that, for instance, white people experience racism in parts of Asia, I would agree that it's certainly a thing. It is however much harder and less common for it to happen in countries like the US.

Feep

Banned
I don't think that people are suggesting that non-white people cannot be racist against other non-white people. The idea is borne of white people being at the top, and thus the angle of racism meaning the belief of racial superiority, or racism as a structure, generally isn't directed from non-white people to white people. Clearly, playing Byakuya has blinded you to your privilege!

If it wasn't clear, that last line was a million </s>es and :ps
Everyone is a peon to Byakuya

Yeah. But some people get *really* heated about semantics. :/
I think this happens because the argument is usually presented in a way to blame black people or to shift the discussion to something that it's not. It gets tiring watching white people dodge racism, imply they have it just as bad as anyone else, or put the responsibility on black people instead of themselves. So people get heated about reminding white people who actually has the power and influence in America and that they have the responsibility to do something about it.

Infinite

I think this happens because the argument is usually presented in a way to blame black people or to shift the discussion to something that it's not. It gets tiring watching white people dodge racism, imply they have it just as bad as anyone else, or put the responsibility on black people instead of themselves.
Yeah. i tend to dodge these discussion because it's nothing more than a smoke screen.

Feep

Banned
I think this happens because the argument is usually presented in a way to blame black people or to shift the discussion to something that it's not. It gets tiring watching white people dodge racism, imply they have it just as bad as anyone else, or put the responsibility on black people instead of themselves. So people get heated about reminding white people who actually has the power and influence in America and that they have the responsibility to do something about it.
True.

FStubbs

Fun fact: Jet Li and Aaliyah just hugged in their movie because them kissing was thought to have been too much for mainstream America. Seriously. In the year 2000.

https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilear...he_original_ending_of_romeo_must_die_had_jet/

Which is weird because you'd think white racists wouldn't care if an Asian man and Black woman kissed, but I guess Black + anything else, or an Asian man showing romantic prowess, is too much for them.

FStubbs

I don't get why so many white posters come into these threads and shit on Compton, Creed, and SLJ when talking about minorities getting Oscars. No, maybe you didn't think these movies were all that great, but a lot of people of color did, and that's the whole problem we're dealing with. it's about diversity in perspectives, diversity in audiences, diversity in nominees.

I'm going to take a wild guess that they would like them if they weren't "black" movies. Kind of like they like all genres of music except rap, but then Macklemore is okay.

Kinyou

I don't get why so many white posters come into these threads and shit on Compton, Creed, and SLJ when talking about minorities getting Oscars. No, maybe you didn't think these movies were all that great, but a lot of people of color did, and that's the whole problem we're dealing with. it's about diversity in perspectives, diversity in audiences, diversity in nominees.
Isn't this simply how most Oscar discussions go down? I've also seen people shit on DiCaprio or Damon when talking about how Black actors got snubbed.

I understand her side of the Argument.

Down the line will we see some white people denided a nomination just because they need more persons of colour to balance it out?

Yes that would be racism as well as the other way around.

The Academy needed the overhaul. It needed more diveristy in colour and sex, and its sad this has come to this level of bad publicity to get it done.

B33

Banned
James Gunn said:
Dear All People from Now Until Forever, Especially Famous People in the Press:
If you're going to apologize for something you said, please don't say you're sorry that your "words have been misinterpreted," or you're sorry that people misunderstood you, or you're sorry your words were taken out of context. That is not taking responsibility. That is putting the onus on the other party, since they are the ones who misunderstood or took your words out of context.
If you've said something stupid, and you're sorry, say you're sorry for saying the stupid thing you said, or being thoughtless, or whatever YOU did. God knows, I've had to do this myself. Many times.
If you didn't say anything stupid, and people really are just misunderstanding, then DON'T APOLOGIZE. It's okay. Really. People don't have to be sorry for everything, and we're going to disagree about a lot of stuff.
But please stop with this in-between, sorry-but-really-though-it's-your-fault thing people commonly do. Because, personally, I'm less offended by the idiotic things people say or do than I am by the inability to know what an apology is.
I am perplexed as to how anyone over the age of eighteen, who has had to live his or her life surrounded by friends and family and girlfriends and boyfriends can misunderstand this one basic rule of communication.
End rant. Have a great Saturday.

Source

Down the line will we see some white people denided a nomination just because they need more persons of colour to balance it out?

The Academy needed the overhaul. It needed more diveristy in colour and sex, and its sad this has come to this level of bad publicity to get it done.

These statements, it's so mind boggling. If the Academy was not overwhelming designed to be a racist white only institution it wouldn't even be odd to see a best lead actor section lead by all minorities one year and have lots of various mixes throughout the years. It's called unfortunate when no minorities are nominated. It's a denial of nomination if you don't have a white person. It's so ridiculous.

Unrelated to the Oscars, but why can't non-white people be racist? The word, as I understand it, simply means believing one race is inherently superior to another. Black people can be racist against Mexicans. Chinese against Japanese.

Racism has power, prejudice, by it self, doesn't.

For example, PoC can hate a White person all they want for being White. There is no system in greater society that empowers that viewpoint, versus in a White dominated society, the dominant group sets the tone for others, meaning hating PoC IS EMPOWERED, based on societal conditions.

Racism is what gets a kid in a bathing suit thrown to the ground and detained, while her White counterparts goes free. The cop that assaults that kid over may not have prejudice in his/her conscious thinking but the racism that created the system of bias made that kid a more likely suspect than the other kids. Same goes with a woman clutching her purse or refusing to get into an elevator with a PoC alone. The list goes on.

Racism is a system that can be enforced. Prejudice, by it self, is just that--prejudice. It has no real power in greater society. I know the semantics police will link me dictionary definitions of why I am wrong or whatever but that is what it boils down to for me. The reason it is impossible for PoC to exhibit racism (instead of prejudice) towards White people is because it is not PoC dominated society.

DMczaf

Fun fact: Jet Li and Aaliyah just hugged in their movie because them kissing was thought to have been too much for mainstream America. Seriously. In the year 2000.

https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilear...he_original_ending_of_romeo_must_die_had_jet/

16 years later

tfa.gif

No one is arguing quotas, quotas only ever come up when people complain about the nonexistent demand for quotas. People are asking for nothing more than the achievements of POC to be acknowledged.

Feep

Banned
Racism has power, prejudice, by it self, doesn't.

For example, PoC can hate a White person all they want for being White. There is no system in greater society that empowers that viewpoint, versus in a White dominated society, the dominant group sets the tone for others, meaning hating PoC IS EMPOWERED, based on societal conditions.

Racism is what gets a kid in a bathing suit thrown to the ground and detained, while her White counterparts goes free. The cop that assaults that kid over may not have prejudice in his/her conscious thinking but the racism that created the system of bias made that kid a more likely suspect than the other kids. Same goes with a woman clutching her purse or refusing to get into an elevator with a PoC alone. The list goes on.

Racism is a system that can be enforced. Prejudice, by it self, is just that--prejudice. It has no real power in greater society. I know the semantics police will link me dictionary definitions of why I am wrong or whatever but that is what it boils down to for me. The reason it is impossible for PoC to exhibit racism (instead of prejudice) towards White people is because it is not PoC dominated society.
If that's your definition of racism, then certainly. And it's a valid one. It just seems like describing that phenomenon as "systemic racism" is both less ambiguous and more descriptive, but to each their own.

Smellycat

While I agree that the industry has a lack of diverse roles and lots of whitewashing, I don't particularly agree with the uproar in regards to the Oscars. If the roles aren't there, then how do you expect there to be nominations?

What annoys me about this whole issue is the Smith family and their stance. Will Smith has been nominated twice in the past, and now that he has done another serious role and wasn't nominated he and his wife are raising a fuss and playing the race card? It simply means that you weren't good enough bro. And this whole "let's us do us" and "let them do them" is so racist it is not even funny, totally the wrong stand to take just because things haven't gone your way the last 2 years.

This whole boycott thing is so childish.

While I agree that the industry has a lack of diverse roles and lots of whitewashing, I don't particularly agree with the uproar in regards to the Oscars. If the roles aren't there, then how do you expect there to be nominations?

What annoys me about this whole issue is the Smith family and their stance. Will Smith has been nominated twice in the past, and now that he has done another serious role and wasn't nominated he and his wife are raising a fuss and playing the race card? It simply means that you weren't good enough bro. And this whole "let's us do us" and "let them do them" is so racist it is not even funny, totally the wrong stand to take just because things haven't gone your way the last 2 years.

Right, so basically it's not that an aging 94%-white panel has a racial bias, it's that white people conveniently year-over-year are the best

Well considering it worked...I'd call it effective not childish

But hey thanks for your hot take and dropping of "the race card"

Also the roles were there (still not enough overall but enough for nomination), that ground has bern covered....

You clearly didn't read my post

I did, actually. I'd chalk Jada/Will's thing up to the fact that it's a perceived snub that goes along with multiple perceived snubs of other POC.

This year had plenty of great roles for POC. The Academy just decided that, like every year, a merit-based awards show has no merit. And if you seriously think that this is a problem of the last two years, well you might be a bit too uninformed to be participating in this discussion.

Well considering it worked...I'd call it effective not childish

But hey thanks for your hot take and dropping of "the race card"

Also the roles were there (still not enough overall but enough for nomination), that ground has bern covered....

Race Card is like Exodia. Play it and all problems on the playing field are destroyed

Feep

Banned
Also, just curious, which performance by a non-white actor is most worthy of being nominated? Michael B. Jordan did a great job, but I didn't see too many movies this past year. Was Will Smith good in Concussion?

Race Card is like Exodia. Play it and all problems on the playing field are destroyed

Playing the race card is so convenient. Like, get pulled over by a cop? Flash him that card and it's "have a nice day sir!"

Meal too expensive? Show'em that card and get it for free.

Losing a match in SF4? Insert the race card and get a free ultra.

Minorities have it so easy.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Also, just curious, which performance by a non-white actor is most worthy of being nominated? Michael B. Jordan did a great job, but I didn't see too many movies this past year. Was Will Smith good in Concussion?

No, Will Smith was apparently terrible.

Not

Banned
Cool to have a literal personification of Hollywood in the Oscar race

Well, almost. She does have a uterus and stuff Forgot about menopause and certain common procedures. Well, no penis for sure

Idris Elba and like three performances in Straight Outta Compton are worthy in my opinion

Okay. We've seen and answered this question a few times already, but here:

Best Picture
Straight Outta Compton
Sicario
Creed
Beasts of No Nation

Best Actor
Abraham Attah - Beast of No Nation
Michael B Jordan - Creed

Best Supporting
Idris Elba - Beasts of No Nation
Benecio del Toro - Sicario
Sam Jackson - Hateful Eight

You can see some of these in Scott Feinberg's list of Oscar predictions prior to the official release. (He's gotten rather good at picking the nominations.)

ldcommando

Banned
Okay. We've seen and answered this question a few times already, but here:

Best Picture
Straight Outta Compton
Sicario
Creed
Beasts of No Nation

Best Actor
Abraham Attah - Beast of No Nation
Michael B Jordan - Creed

Best Supporting
Idris Elba - Beasts of No Nation
Benecio del Toro - Sicario
Sam Jackson - Hateful Eight

You can see some of these in Scott Feinberg's list of Oscar predictions prior to the official release. (He's gotten rather good at picking the nominations.)

Benicio del toro?

Isn´t he white? I´m googling it but it is not very clear. I always saw him as white.

"Benicio Monserrate Rafael Del Toro Sánchez, better known as Benicio del Toro, is a Puerto Rican actor." First thing that comes up when you google him.

Your google-fu is weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom