• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar nominee Charlotte Rampling says diversity row is 'racist to white people'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Charlotte Rampling is an amazing actor. Her performance in "45 Years" is outstanding. People here calling her dumb simply because her view doesn't fit yours, is..well..dumb.

I think she has a point. Then again, my problem is that the whole academy is fucked up. It's more about lobbying and brown-nosing than it is about giving the right awards to the right people.

When movies that hit about 50-60% on Rotten or Meta, get nominated for Best Picture, that should set off some alarms.

No she doesnt and she is dumb. This isnt a "oh she acted well and has an opinion". She is stupid for making this comment and she is wrong. There are so many deserving minority performances that should be recognized purely on merit. And they arent and part of that is a purely structural failure in the academy thst does not in any way work to support diversity.

pringles

I do have to say that we need to first get more black actors in great roles.
Yeah this. I think this whole Oscar nominee outrage is attacking a symptom, not the actual problem. It's not like Will Smith, Denzel Washington, Halle Berry, Morgan Freeman, Sidney Poitier, Jamie Foxx etc. haven't been nominated and won when they've had deserving roles.

Velcro Fly

We still have over five weeks to go before the actual show to hear people comment on these issues too.

How many more will we lose respect for between now and then

I know right? I like French women! And these are terrific actresses. It just goes to show you how ignorant and unaware of their privilege they are.

This isn't a contest. You can be a white woman and speak about your own struggles as a woman without shitting on minorities. It's okay.

pls let nobody ask Juliette Binoche what she thinks of this whole business

I can't take this all these great actresses saying this shit

If Eva Green makes a comment it'll be the death of me.

I'm the vast majority aren't gonna say a damn thing to ruffle any feathers, even if they did have an opinion that would be controversial. It's bad for business. (well, maybe some of the older crowd will continue down that path)

And another one:

http://www.thewrap.com/julie-delpy-hollywood-dumps-women-sometimes-wish-african-american/

Not like this, Julie. Intersectionality continues to be ignored by a lot of [white] feminists in Hollywood. Women of color catch it from all sides. Video here.

I'm sorry I just had to come back this statement is just so infuriating on so many levels. The fact that she thinks black people don't get bashed, the fact that she thinks white women have it harder than any group of people besides white men, the fact that her statement ignores the existence of black women. I actually find this statement far worse than Charlotte Rampling's.

Enzom21

And another one:

http://www.thewrap.com/julie-delpy-hollywood-dumps-women-sometimes-wish-african-american/

Not like this, Julie. Intersectionality continues to be ignored by a lot of [white] feminists in Hollywood. Women of color catch it from all sides. Video here.

I love when white feminists talk like there are no women of color. Patricia Arquette pulled the same sort of bullshit, but she told the coloreds and the gays to help straight white women get more money!

It's not as bad as the OP or Julie Delpy.

Voting for someone just due to their skin color is wrong, but it ignores those who were ignored this year that deserved at least a nomination.
Asking minorities to wait is also shit, since it's 2016. But it's also ironic since the changes announced by the academy will take some time to start seeing any changes.

He also for some reason tought Idris Elba was nominated.

It was basically diet racism, versus blatant racism.

Micheal Caine compared his Oscar weight to that of entire races if people's. It's a horrible statement

Mimosa97

Diversity is ruining their motherland..

Julie Delply is a leftist and usually defends minorities when she's on television lol

But again she spends 99% of her time in the US so she's not talking from a french POV.

Honestly she's not a very smart gall. Good actress. But not very smart
(oh gawd I sound like Trump)

And another one:

What a clod. Yes, it sure would help your career as a writer if you were black! I mean, as long as you ignore that you personally have more nominations for writing from the Academy than all black women ever born. What a selfish airhead.

Speely

Banned
So basically it's really easy for a white person to assume that everyone is judged by the merit of their work when they are part of a group that has always had white people running the medium in which they are being considered for merit. Makes sense.

Same old "white folks are color blind, but the colored folks only see color" shit in a different form. Not just racism but dedicated aversion to reason.

What a clod. Yes, it sure would help your career as a writer if you were black! I mean, as long as you ignore that you personally have more nominations for writing from the Academy than all black women ever born. What a selfish airhead.

Deply always struck me as full of herself, and so her saying some selfish bullshit doesn't really surprise me. It's like, you think you would've been apart of the fantastic "Before..." trilogy if you were a black woman? Does she think she would've had anywhere near the same kind of career trajectory if that was so? Delusional, man.

The Beard

I heard today that in the last 15 years, black nominees have made up 14% of the nominations. 13% of the U.S. population is black. It seems suspicious, especially considering I heard this "stat" on a mostly conservative talk radio show. Have any of you heard this?

Edit: I just looked it up. It's 10% of the nominations in the last 15 years. Asian got 1% and Hispanic (16% of population) got 3%.

black_13

Banned
I'm not a big follower of the Oscars but I mean the majority of Hollywood is white so looking at it from a statistics point of view, there will obviously be a higher percentage of white nominees compared to people of color. And aren't the nominees selected by a random panel of people?

It seems to me at least it's because there aren't more black actors as opposed to racism. I mean look at Sam Jackson. He's basically the go to guy for a black actor in a movie.

Damn this thread got super derailed by the "Racism = Prejudice + Privilege" nonsense. Apparently this is a lot of people's first exposure to this. It's nonsense. In my personal life I've only ever seen it used to artificially bolster an ideological position or as an attempt to get away with being terrible to people. There's nothing to be gained conflating racism and institutional racism.

Anyway, clearly Charlotte Rampling is full of it. Seems like she's not fully caught up as to what the actual grievances are either. It's not like people are just upset about this year in particular. It's a pervasive trend stretching back decades.

I haven't seen any other explanation that doesn't bold face ignore common sense for why more minority men and women haven't made the cut. Sam Jackson definitely deserves something for having enough charisma to see me through to the end of Hateful 8.

I heard today that in the last 15 years, black nominees have made up 14% of the nominations. 13% of the U.S. population is black. It seems suspicious, especially considering I heard this "stat" on a mostly conservative talk radio show. Have any of you heard this?

Edit: I just looked it up. It's 10% of the nominations in the last 15 years. Asian got 1% and Hispanic (16% of population) got 3%.

Well equating percentage based on population wouldn't be accurate. We'd have to know the number of people who claim to be actors or seeking work in TV/Film then look at the numbers to see the percentage based on race.

MGrant

Racism is a structure where white people is at the top of the hierarchy thus when viewing racism as a structure there can be no racism to white people.

Asinine. Spoken as if the West is the entire world. Come to Asia and tell the Uyghurs to stop bitching about racism, then, because white people aren't at the top of the hierarchy, so clearly the Han Chinese can't be racists.

On topic, I'm glad this shit is blowing up in the news. It's a discussion Hollywood has needed to have with itself for a long time.

Asinine. Assaten. Asseleven. Assatwelve.

stephen-a-smith-first-take-skip-bayless-2.jpg

Yopis

I love when white feminists talk like there are no women of color. Patricia Arquette pulled the same sort of bullshit, but she told the coloreds and the gays to help straight white women get more money!

Reminds me of a place online. The only desire you should be concerned about is ,whatever white women are pissed off about that week.

Asinine. Spoken as if the West is the entire world. Come to Asia and tell the Uyghurs to stop bitching about racism, then, because white people aren't at the top of the hierarchy, so clearly the Han Chinese can't be racists.

On topic, I'm glad this shit is blowing up in the news. It's a discussion Hollywood has needed to have with itself for a long time.

And when we're clearly talking about the US, Asia applies how?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I wasn't aware there's room for interpretation for the definition of a word.

In fact, I'm pretty sure page 1 flat out posted it straight from the dictionary.

This thread can be summed up in one sentence: We hate White People, and Actors shouldn't be nominated on merit but being not-white.
Piss up a rope, fuckstick

Staccat0

Fail out bailed

Part of the reason this conversation is difficult is because there are many who agree that there is a race issue in Hollywood, but aren't really thinking The Academy Awards are the people to rake over the coals over it. There is a certain degree of "We basically agree, but we are gonna fight about this dumb minor detail - because internet"

It's a complicated thing. Going to film school or acting school and running off to LA are already well documented passages of privileged people. So less minorities even consider pursuing it professionally. So the % is already going to be skewed.

After that, most producers assume audiences are racist (cuz they fucking are) and don't want to put money into movies with minority leads. That skews the % even more.

Racism exists at every step. Getting pissed about The Oscars is fine, but that's kinda like blaming the manager at a Wal Mart for treating his employees poorly. He might be guilty, but he's a cog in a broken system. Also, the Academy Awards are fucking stupid and only award people who have "made it." If you wanna help actors of color it would make more sense to take a closer look at Cannes or Sundance or somewhere where people of color are missing opportunities to even be considered for an Oscar a year later.

To put it into football terms: It seems odd to freak out about the Super Bowl, but not care that teams are being excluded from the playoffs in the first place.

I have sat in more than one meeting where people pushed for diversity in the cast and the people on the other side of that conversation - progressive liberals - just say they can't afford the risk, because they don't have faith in the audience.

I'm sure that some people in the Academy aren't even aware that they are being racist - just like movie audiences don't - which contributes to a cycle that makes it harder for actors of color to get attention, which gives the voters license to keep being racist with an excuse. Watch better movies. Be the future you want. Revolution!

I feel like comparing roles to population is flawed. You're damning every minority to being a token in white movies by looking at that as being fair.

What would be a more fair comparison is if 13% of our major movies were marketed to, made by, and prominently featuring black people, and I doubt we're anywhere near that. Our Latino representation compared to the population is also horrendous.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
There is no way Michael Caine deserves an award for acting.
He's atrocious.

I dunno if I would take it that far but he's definitely one of those actors whose talents have basically become a meme. You can't even have a serious conversation about the b-tier shit that guys like that sell. Unfortunately - considering this thread's trajectory - I'm putting Morgan Freeman on that list beside Christopher Walken.

Part of the reason this conversation is difficult is because there are many who agree that there is a race issue in Hollywood, but aren't really thinking The Academy Awards are the people to rake over the coals over it. There is a certain degree of "We basically agree, but we are gonna fight about this dumb minor detail - because internet"

It's a complicated thing. Going to film school or acting school and running off to LA are already well documented passages of privileged people. So less minorities even consider pursuing it professionally. So the % is already going to be skewed.

After that, most producers assume audiences are racist (cuz they fucking are) and don't want to put money into movies with minority leads. That skews the % even more.

Racism exists at every step. Getting pissed about The Oscars is fine, but that's kinda like blaming the manager at a Wal Mart for treating his employees poorly. He might be guilty, but he's a cog in a broken system. Also, the Academy Awards are fucking stupid and only award people who have "made it." If you wanna help actors of color it would make more sense to take a closer look at Cannes or Sundance or somewhere where people of color are missing opportunities to even be considered for an Oscar a year later.

To put it into football terms: It seems odd to freak out about the Super Bowl, but not care that teams are being excluded from the playoffs in the first place.

I have sat in more than one meeting where people pushed for diversity in the cast and the people on the other side of that conversation - progressive liberals - just say they can't afford the risk, because they don't have faith in the audience.

I'm sure that some people in the Academy aren't even aware that they are being racist - just like movie audiences don't - which contributes to a cycle that makes it harder for actors of color to get attention, which gives the voters license to keep being racist with an excuse. Watch better movies. Be the future you want. Revolution!

Multiple complaints can be done at once...stop making excuses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom