• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar nominee Charlotte Rampling says diversity row is 'racist to white people'

Status
Not open for further replies.
ANDS, can you conceive that maybe when the only person who has claimed to understand how your post answers his question is you is only because YOU wrote it, and thus understand it?

Reiterate it to us as if we are children. If you can't, all I can conceive is that you truly do not have an answer to what he asked, and your post never was an answer. People don't so staunchly fight against providing a simple answer to a question if they have an answer.

number47

racism negatively impacts the lives of minorities in material ways. it's not just "this individual thinks i'm a lesser being than they are", it's a million things, mostly small and sometimes large, that prick at you day in and day out. one of the worst parts is that it's so obtuse that it can make you paranoid when bad things happen, because you never know for sure if it's because of racism.

it's not something that can just be shrugged off. blacks in american worry about racism because it affects them whether they like it or not.
Then you will always be paranoid. What if s/he is talking to you because you're 'x'? You will never be happy.

Where is the line drawn between genuinely feeling like person A gave a better performance and subconsciously being biased to feel that way though? Not saying that this isn't an actual thing, but if someone is truly subconscious about their bias, it's like asking them to not actually vote for who they feel gave the best performance but to vote for a minority so that they don't appear biased.

I think that distinction is almost impossible to make without someone being outwardly conscious about their bias.
The obvious answer is to not have a governing body that is composed almost entire by a single race of people, that's not reflective of our society or the movie going public. Of course that group is going to want to stroke themselves, the same thing would happen if the Academy was over 90% any other single race.

Hollywood and mass entertainment in general continue to create and celebrate works that don't come close to accurately reflecting the roles that minorities and women fill in the real world and that contributes to discrimination in its own way. You constantly see situations where people complain that they feel diversity is being "forced" in movies and games when you could multiply the number of PoC and women in those forms of entertainment by ten and still not come close to representing them in real world terms.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/690630341522927616

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/690631446680178688

JUST IN: The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences overhauls membership and voting rules to promote Oscar diversity.

Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences pledges to double number of female & minority members by 2020 in response to #Oscars racism row

Beginning later this year, each new member’s voting status will last 10 years, and will be renewed if the new member has been active in film during that decade. In addition, members will receive lifetime voting rights after three 10-year terms; or if they have been nominated for an Academy Award. The Acad will apply these same standards retroactively to current members. In other words, if a current member has not been active in the last 10 years they can still qualify by meeting the other criteria. Those who do not qualify for active status will be moved to emeritus status. Emeritus members do not pay dues but enjoy all the privileges of membership, except voting. This will not affect voting for this year’s Oscars.

I've been saying this shit for years. They got dudes voting that aint done SHIT in years, aint been involved in nothing, how they're supposed to be voting members of the Academy?

This is a huge change.

CZWfVq2UAAEvvV2.jpg

I love how everyone seems to forget about the Hispanics and Asians.

i think we need a sequel to the burning comic

in that one someone is asking for water for the burning house

and the person with the hose points in the other direction and says "what about those houses" and they are also burning and also not getting water

Again, why is this strictly a black thing? Before you lob accusations at me, hear me out.

The interviewer, this woman whoever she is (don't care for them as an actress honestly), people in general...why is it whenever this topic comes up, or terms like "minority" and "PoC" are used, automatically assume that to mean "black people"? Do people realize how that drives away other disenfranchised groups to the majority, and essentially makes the issue even more unbalanced and disproportionate than it already is?

It smells like a sneaky tactic on the media's part; by implicitly twisting the definitions to single out a very particular group, they essentially draw other potential allies of that group in their camp through process of fixing the narrative and making that targeted group essentially iterate on the issue from a PoV the manipulating side wishes it to be addressed from.

I think one of the things black actors and advocates need to do to circumvent this fixed rigging of the narrative is continue to emphasize how this issue is something shared by all minorities. They essentially need to reshape the narrative, because going by quotes like this lady said, it is rigged against their potential best interest.

Then you will always be paranoid. What if s/he is talking to you because you're 'x'? You will never be happy.
exactly.

can't ever be happy.

working for change doesn't help because why would the people who can implement change want to? in their eyes they benefit the most from the status quo.

ignoring it and doing nothing just makes you vulnerable if some shit should happen. you won't see it coming.

so reluctantly you gotta stay paranoid just to survive. some people just don't know what that feels like on a minute to minute basis, on a hourly or daily basis, at the end of a tiring week, grueling month, struggle filled year, decade, lifetime?

and they never will.

luckily.

APF

"Last night, the board of Governors made a series of courageous steps."

That's some Oscar-worthy self-congratulation.

number47

exactly.

can't ever be happy.

working for change doesn't help because why would the people who can implement change want to? in their eyes they benefit the most from the status quo.

ignoring it and doing nothing just makes you vulnerable if some shit should happen. you won't see it coming.

so reluctantly you gotta stay paranoid just to survive. some people just don't know what that feels like on a minute to minute basis, on a hourly or daily basis, at the end of a tiring week, grueling month, struggle filled year, decade, lifetime?

and they never will.

luckily.
Too much work making up boogeymen,rather look for solutions.

Almighty

So wait, wait let's back up just so I can be on the same page. When did the word racism get redefined to mean institutional racism and only institutional racism?

Because I have always understood it like Moff explains in this post

actually yes, racism is a part of bigotry and prejudice
bigotry and prejudice based on race, nationality, color of skin and even religion is defined as racism

bigotry and prejudice based on gender/sex is sexism, it really isn't that hard to understand.

what some people confuse is racism and institutional racism. there is no institutional racism against white people, that is true, and of course it's not wrong to say that institutional racism is the actual or at least the biggest problem.

but saying non-whites can't be racist against whites is wrong and a dumb thing to say. in my experience racism is sadly something very natural and I believe everyone is a racist to a certain degree.

so it pretty jarring to see people run around with two different definitions of the same word in this thread.

Racism is a structure where white people is at the top of the hierarchy thus when viewing racism as a structure there can be no racism to white people.

Wtf am I reading? Racism is a learned harmful belief and aversion, and can be applied to any race. Whites included.

so basically "what about those other burning houses" *continues to water house that's not on fire*
Nice try but no?

This isn't a very general thread, nor is it generally doing the thing you're concerned with.

In any case, it's something perhaps those in the media handling the issue can consider, for future reference. It's a pretty important factor to consider as there's also a historical precedent for it.

I know you said this ironically, but there's actually people who believe this lmao

EDIT:

Speak of the devil...
The Stupid Ends With You™

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/690630341522927616

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/690631446680178688

JUST IN: The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences overhauls membership and voting rules to promote Oscar diversity.

Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences pledges to double number of female & minority members by 2020 in response to #Oscars racism row

This is a huge change.

CZWfVq2UAAEvvV2.jpg

Well thank god they're trying. Can't wait for the "Why are they forcing the Academy to XYZ!" backlash. :/

Again, why is this strictly a black thing? Before you lob accusations at me, hear me out.

It's not unreasonable for black actors to advocate for themselves, just like it's not unreasonable for female actors like Patty Ariquette to advocate for women, though. However, a lot of people in the white population internalize a classic narrative that "the blacks are the uppity ones", "always complaining", "nothing's ever good enough", "every other minority is cool with the way things are except for them" etc.It's an old narrative that gets pushed laid quite a bit on black people usually coupled with the idea that "we're always loud". Despite minority representation crossing race, gender, sexuality and even including stuff like representation of the disabled, when complaints of a lack of diversity come up, a lot of people in the majority are already quick to put it on just the black population. Media wise, black vs. white narrative is sold a lot too. There are several gay, Asian, Hispanic, trans etc. who completely agree with the extreme lack of diversity but their voices aren't presented to the public as often so it always seems like it's just the black actors again getting all worked up and going after whites.

Dimmle

actually yes, racism is a part of bigotry and prejudice
bigotry and prejudice based on race, nationality, color of skin and even religion is defined as racism

bigotry and prejudice based on gender/sex is sexism, it really isn't that hard to understand.

what some people confuse is racism and institutional racism. there is no institutional racism against white people, that is true, and of course it's not wrong to say that institutional racism is the actual or at least the biggest problem.

but saying non-whites can't be racist against whites is wrong and a dumb thing to say. in my experience racism is sadly something very natural and I believe everyone is a racist to a certain degree.

I actually forgot about this distinction. I was in fact thinking about institutional racism.

(but the actress in question is claiming institutional racism, no?)

I won't comment on what she said, but (other than comparing his wait for an Oscar to the wait of black actors) I don't disagree with what Caine said.

You don't want a situation where someone is nominated simply because of skin color, whether that color be black or white or whatever. It should simply be about who gave the best performances (which, as he said, Elba should certainly have gotten a nod for).

Edit: Please note that this isn't a commentary on the Academy. Obviously the Academy needs more diversity. 90%+ white is kinda nuts.

Too much work making up boogeymen,rather look for solutions.

people have been accused, banned, pushed and forced out, refused service, jailed, even killed for hundreds of years.

there is nothing to look for, the only solution is for the oppressors to stop being racist. anything else is just a band-aid for a cancer of sorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom