• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar nominee Charlotte Rampling says diversity row is 'racist to white people'

Status
Not open for further replies.

B33

Banned
Really drives me nuts how people can say with a straight face that people are more or less accepted nowadays. I just don't understand being so blind to it.
Unless it's overt, there are people who don't pick up on inequality, and believe talking about it is harmful.

From anecdotal experience, I've heard several people accuse President Obama of being "racist" because he's spoken about inequality in America.

Toothless

Was Idris Elba not nominated because it was a netflix movie? Has any Netflix movie been nominated for an Oscar?

Idris Elba, Ryan Coogler, Sam Jackson and Michael B Jordan should have all received nominations.

To be honest, Netflix probably hurt Elba than anything else involving Beasts of No Nation. But to be fair, it's not like there's been a Netflix narrative film before this year.

Ridley327

Two Netflix documentaries were nominated: What Happened Miss Simone? and Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom.

So it's not because Beasts of No Nation was a Netflix movie.

As shitty as it sounds, there's a world of difference between a documentary and a prestige film in terms of exposure to more business-minded voters. Voters are largely not going to care where a documentary because they're not a threat to any business that they normally handle. Beasts of No Nation is supplanting traditional distribution methods and outright rejected the industry's "soft" VOD-after-90-days standard. There are absolutely politics involved with its snobbery.

All three of those films observed the minimum requirements for eligibility to be voted on.

Time for everyone to pretend they know who Rampling is and how they really used to love her, etc. etc.

People like her? You know her based on a single quote? Seriously? These people are getting mics shoved in their faces and asked to comment on a situation so that we can continue to gin up controversy over the Oscars and now we're all Rampling experts because of it.

Nonsense.

Well I do know that she expressed an anti-diversity position and claimed in so many words that racism was over. That's all I care to know about her.

Whoops! I'm sorry! I totally missed the sarcastic tone.

No problem. :p It's certainly not like what I said couldn't have been said by a truly egregious poster.

Time for everyone to pretend they know who Rampling is and how they really used to love her, etc. etc.

People like her? You know her based on a single quote? Seriously? These people are getting mics shoved in their faces and asked to comment on a situation so that we can continue to gin up controversy over the Oscars and now we're all Rampling experts because of it.

Nonsense.

She said some dumb racist shit and has no one but herself to blame if people are judging her on the dumb racist thing she said. No one forced her to say it.

“Diverse” simply means a place without any White people in it.

So every time they talk about a “lack of diversity”, they have said what their object is : a place that becomes less and less White – which is genocide.

That’s why diversity is a codeword for White genocide..

Is this...

Is this supposed to be ironic or sarcastic?

Because everyone seems to be ignoring the neo-nazi propaganda here. I feel like there's an in-joke I'm missing.

Slayven

They're already working on it. Won't help without vastly growing the membership, because becoming an Oscar voter is lifetime appointment. As long as you don't leave, you're in forever.

Potentially, but the critics are confused as well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/24/movies/oscars-so-white-or-oscars-so-dumb-discuss.html?_r=0

Confused about some of those terms? Oscar campaigning is a thing.

https://stephenfollows.com/much-hollywood-campaigns-oscar-cost/
  • Oscar voters are 94% white, 77% male and have a median age of 62.
  • 56% of ‘Best Picture’ nominees were released in either November or December.
  • The cost of a ‘Best Picture’ winning Oscar campaign is around $10 million
  • Half of all the money spent on Oscar campaigns will go on advertising
  • A page 1 advert in The Hollywood Reporter during Oscar season costs $72,000.
  • Crash (2005) spent $250,000 on DVD screeners
  • PR consultants are paid $10k-$15k, plus bonuses of $20k per nomination / win.
  • It costs around $3,500 to prepare a Hollywood actress for the red carpet
  • Oscar nominated films earn average of $12.7m more than films not nominated
  • A ‘Best Picture’ Oscar win is worth $3 million in increased box office gross
  • A Golden Globe win is worth $14.2 million
  • The non-financial benefits to studios of an Oscar ‘Best Picture’ are worth $7m
  • Best Actor winners can expect a $3.9m salary increase
  • It’s just $500k for Best Actress winners
  • It is possible to predict the Oscar winners with a success rate of 77% for Picture, 93% for Director, 77% for Actor, and 77% for Actress

Merit indeed.

Damon_cropped.jpg

ridley-scott.jpg

wachie

I get Caine's point (voting just because) but thats not the issue with the Oscars. This crutch got very old really quick.

I haven't seen some of the movies that people cite as examples (Michael B Jordan for instance) towards actors that should have been nominated. But really, the Oscars are more political towards their own people, I doubt he wasn't chosen purely based on race.

Also though, racism isn't exclusive to whites only. In america, whites are typically who do the most oppression, but racism happens around the world in different countries towards different people.

With all that said, the main topic is about, Charlotte Rampling is wrong. It shouldn't be about the pure angle of being DIVERSE. It should be about picking the best jobs done (which it already wasn't, since again, Hollywood scratches each others backs). Its pretty low brow of her, to be honest. On the surface it seems that she feels like every time a minority receives an award, nomination, accepted to a college, ec, it is because they didn't earn it.

Movies are freaking subjective, so its hard to pick what and who are the stand outs for the year. Based on a lot of reactions and how good Creed appears to be (I haven't seen it), you would think he would have gotten the nomination.

I hope she loses so the person that wins can say "Guess she wasn't good enough."

JTripper

At what point did anyone suggest "nominate a black person because they're black"? We're asking for the Oscars to not be determined by a 96% white voting panel with a median age of 65.

I totally get that, but that's not what the media suggests when all you hear is "Black people were snubbed this year so Spike Lee and Will Smith and his wife are boycotting the oscars"

A lot of people don't know who is in charge of voting for the oscars so when they hear about these boycotts of misrepresentation, they assume it's just groups of people complaining because they aren't recognized.

I totally get that, but that's not what the media suggests when all you hear is "Black people were snubbed this year so Spike Lee and Will Smith and his wife are boycotting the oscars"

A lot of people don't know who is in charge of voting for the oscars so when they hear about these boycotts of misrepresentation, they assume it's just groups of people complaining because they aren't recognized.

And of those, I would expect that they would double-down when informed. I've already had it happen twice.

Gastone

Charlotte Rampling is an amazing actor. Her performance in "45 Years" is outstanding. People here calling her dumb simply because her view doesn't fit yours, is..well..dumb.

I think she has a point. Then again, my problem is that the whole academy is fucked up. It's more about lobbying and brown-nosing than it is about giving the right awards to the right people.

When movies that hit about 50-60% on Rotten or Meta, get nominated for Best Picture, that should set off some alarms.

Charlotte Rampling is an amazing actor. Her performance in "45 Years" is outstanding. People here calling her dumb simply because her view doesn't fit yours, is..well..dumb.

I think she has a point. Then again, my problem is that the whole academy is fucked up. It's more about lobbying and brown-nosing than it is about giving the right awards to the right people.

When movies that hit about 50-60% on Rotten or Meta, get nominated for Best Picture, that should set off some alarms.
Explain.
Because I can't possible see what it is.

PBY

Banned

I think she has a point.
Then again, my problem is that the whole academy is fucked up. It's more about lobbying and brown-nosing than it is about giving the right awards to the right people.

What the hell is this.

And hey, the thing is "black" is the second line in the Hollywood list of priority. Hispanic viewers buy more tickets than most demographics and are vastly underrepresented in cinema. Asian actors barely get any play. Native American? Not much out there for you.

LGBT? You're more likely to win an Oscar being a straight person playing an LGBT character.

And the lack of opportunities feeds into this idea that there are no amazing actors of color. Few amazing women that can anchor a film. Few great LGBT actors. It's depressing.

What point is valid? Is it the one where she claims that everyone is more-or-less accepted? Or that "what if black people just weren't talented enough this year?"

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
She said some dumb racist shit and has no one but herself to blame if people are judging her on the dumb racist thing she said. No one forced her to say it.

What she said wasn't even close to being racist. At best it was tone deaf.

Well I do know that she expressed an anti-diversity position and claimed in so many words that racism was over. That's all I care to know about her.

How is she against diversity? Where did she say we SHOULDN'T have minorities. She made the comment that why is there an imperative which is a far cry from being ANTI-diversity.

And she didn't say racism was over. I'm sure many people take her comments to be reflective of the media, and not "the world" because what person sits back and thinks racism is over?

At what point did anyone suggest "nominate a black person because they're black"? We're asking for the Oscars to not be determined by a 96% white voting panel with a median age of 65.

If I learned anything, 65 year olds,regardless of race, don't care what millennials are yelling at them to do.
stanley-hudson-reaction.gif

I do agree that there needs to be more diversity in the academy pool but I guess age-ism and having years of film experience is a negative.
In regards to campaigning, its real though again, ironically, you are not going to effect the older pool of voters. Funny to see how a family friend reacts to campaigning.

This is kind of a non-sequitur, ain't it? There's a lot of fucking dumb actors. Just because they're good at acting doesn't actually make them immune to stupidity. The two aren't necessarily linked at all.

I'm also curious as to what about her point you actually agree with.

I just have to say this is the most racist statement I have ever read on NeoGAF. I can't even.

A bit redundant given your Junior status, but I think that speaks more to your lack of exposure to this forum. Even if what he said was racist, I've actively seen:

1. Literal white supremacy;
2. An anonymous white supremacist teacher who cheated a black student out of graduating; and
3. Patrol

Sane_Man

Damn, really disappointing comments from Rampling and Caine. I respect them both hugely as actors and I agree she gave the best performance of last year, but they're talking some ignorant crap here.

This is a dumb argument. It's also about the opportunity. Also, Ruffalo got an oscar nod for his milquetoast performance in spotlight, which hinges on some oscar bait speech he barely gives convincingly. This whole, they didn't actually deserve it nonsense needs to stop.

However, this is some bullshit. Ruffalo was amazing. One hokey scene doesn't negate the rest of the film where he absolutely nailed the performance. A much harder role to nail than those of most of the other nominated actors as well.

It's weird for Caine to say one day black actors have to earn recognition through their work, then immediately cite an example of an acclaimed black actor in an acclaimed movie that was completely looked over.

I hate that both of them seem to characterise it as if the vast majority of black actors are totally undeserving and could only have been included as a 'token' thing. I don't think there would be such a furore if there wasn't an abundance of deserving black actors.

The argument that 'maybe they weren't good enough' drives me mad. As if there's some grand acting metric that everyone is judged by.

Thewonandonly

Here's what my input is. I don't think we should meet a quota of black peoples being nominated it just shouldn't be that way. The awards should be about art and that's it. If there are no black people nominated then damn I guess white people destroyed that year. If all black people are nominated then damn I guess black people destroyed that year. Do you get what I'm saying.

Now best actor doesn't matter because Leo gots it in the back. But what is fishy is why yo boy from beast of no nation didn't get a nomination. He was fucking fantastic in that movie and should get a nomination. Same with idris Elba who was fantastic as the supporting role. So for those two reason I can see why this whole thing is fishy. But the way to solve it is not to meet a quota. It's to get rid of the old racist farts that vote and get some new blood in.

A bit redundant given your Junior status, but I think that speaks more to your lack of exposure to this forum. Even if what he said was racist, I've actively seen:

1. Literal white supremacy;
2. An anonymous white supremacist teacher who cheated a black student out of graduating; and
3. Patrol
Why you gotta be a juniorist?

LMAO Patrol..

Lego Boss

“Diverse” simply means a place without any White people in it.

So every time they talk about a “lack of diversity”, they have said what their object is : a place that becomes less and less White – which is genocide.

That’s why diversity is a codeword for White genocide..

Wow. Genocide. That's a pretty liberal use of the word, even for GAF.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Here's what my input is. I don't think we should meet a quota of black peoples being nominated it just shouldn't be that way. The awards should be about art and that's it. If there are no black people nominated then damn I guess white people destroyed that year. If all black people are nominated then damn I guess black people destroyed that year. Do you get what I'm saying.

Now best actor doesn't matter because Leo gots it in the back. But what is fishy is why yo boy from beast of no nation didn't get a nomination. He was fucking fantastic in that movie and should get a nomination. Same with idris Elba who was fantastic as the supporting role. So for those two reason I can see why this whole thing is fishy. But the way to solve it is not to meet a quota. It's to get rid of the old racist farts that vote and get some new blood in.
The truth is that the Academy and the film industry doesn't want to nominate television performances. So there is probably more to those snubs than racism

If I learned anything, 65 year olds,regardless of race, don't care what millennials are yelling at them to do.
stanley-hudson-reaction.gif

I do agree that there needs to be more diversity in the academy pool but I guess age-ism and having years of film experience is a negative.
In regards to campaigning, its real though again, ironically, you are not going to effect the older pool of voters. Funny to see how a family friend reacts to campaigning.

The age of the people in the judging pool indicates that they have been in the Academy since the "olden days", which suggests that they retain the biases of that era.

What she said wasn't even close to being racist. At best it was tone deaf.

How is she against diversity? Where did she say we SHOULDN'T have minorities. She made the comment that why is there an imperative which is a far cry from being ANTI-diversity.

And she didn't say racism was over. I'm sure many people take her comments to be reflective of the media, and not "the world" because what person sits back and thinks racism is over?

1. She suggested that two years of POC snubbing was because hey what if they weren't good enough

2. How exactly can widespread racism still exist if, according to her, everyone is pretty much accepted?

Johndoey

Banned
Didn't a black director win best director and picture a couple years ago and people were angry about the same thing as they are this year?

I understand that there is a severe lack of diversity in Hollywood and we want to address it, but wouldnt it be worse if a black actor was nominated simply because he's black and the category needed more diversity, and not because of the actor's performance?

I'm not saying they aren't any black actors or directors who don't deserve a nomination this year, as we have clearly pointed out here, but it blows my mind how most of the time people complain how award shows and ceremonies essentially mean nothing, yet when someone isn't recognized because they feel the system is racist, these things suddenly mean the world.

That said, Coogler was truly snubbed.
But no one said they should at least not here so why bring it up?

Racism is a structure where white people is at the top of the hierarchy thus when viewing racism as a structure there can be no racism to white people.

I think what you're saying is that there can be no racist oppression/marginalization/whatever other word you want to use that applies to systemic bias against white people, right? Because structurally speaking whites dominate the vehicles that could be used for systemic racism?

as someone who has stopped watching the Oscars for quite some time, I'm gonna PVR this thing for Chris Rock.

I hope Chirs rips the Academy to shreds

atr0cious

However, this is some bullshit. Ruffalo was amazing. One hokey scene doesn't negate the rest of the film where he absolutely nailed the performance. A much harder role to nail than those of most of the other nominated actors as well.

Sorry no. He does nothing for the whole movie, but pretend to be the precocious annoying young guy. But it's not even believable as the only young thing about him is his lloyd christmas hair cut. And his boston accent was bad to nonexistent. That scene was so oscar baitish it took me out of the movie.

APF

Protecting the sanctity of the illusion of "meritocracy"--especially when you are a beneficiary of that system--is always more important than actually looking at systems objectively and asking why they do not pan out as you might otherwise expect. This leads to folks accepting defacto supremacy on arbitrary lines, eg racial, gender, etc.

JTripper

Explain.
Because I can't possible see what it is.

I interpret her point as being to label the Oscars as racist because there are no black nominations is kind of impulsive when perhaps the intent of the voters wasn't racist at all. However that's impossible to prove or disprove, so to at least boycott in attempt to present more diversity in Hollywood, they're making an effort to do so instead of not voicing how they feel Hollywood should change for the better.

But, her statement seemed a little more aggressive than that in a sense and in her "boycotts are racist towards whites" point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom