• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscars: Chaos on stage after 'Moonlight' wins best Picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardRojo

Uh, great I geuss?

Never understood why people assign so much significance to these award shows, really just watching rich people feel validated about their narcissism. It's like watching people masturbate to themselves.

Haha yeah, they're totally similar. Is this a hyperbolic attempt at idontlikething,jog?

Matt Damon has a envelope on stage right.
Martha Ruiz has a envelope on stage left.

It's the last award of the night. The biggest award of the night. The process is simple. The presenter comes from stage right - receiving the winning envelope from Matt/Martha. They read the envelope, meet the winners and proceed to stage left, handing the envelope to Martha/Matt. Again, it's a simple process. One that has functioned perfectly for 88 years, gentlemen.

But something went wrong tonight, didn't it? The envelope for Best Actress found its way to stage right somehow despite seemingly being checked on stage left.

Matt or Martha hand Warren the envelope as he goes on stage and it's the wrong letter. A scarlet letter for The Academy. A black mark. It would be outrageous if it weren't so insidious.

C5pf7cJVMAEfnf2.jpg

An unlikely suspect emerges. Leonardo Dicaprio was the last non-Academy representative holding that envelope that night. Perhaps jilted by his decades of snubs, Leo decided to seek satisfaction from his oppressors. He fiendishly swapped out the winning card as he slinked his way backstage.

Poor Warren Beatty never stood a chance.

Fortunately hard evidence proves Leo's innocence, but without concrete leads on any other culprit's -- we are left with the final mystery of guilt.

Of course, what of guilt? By the legal definition, it signifies liability but in emotional terms it is a signal of responsibility. To do the right thing, to have a clear conscience...

But what if the man responsible had no conscience. What if there was a man so insane, so deranged, so addicted to chaos and mayhem that -- when the opportunity presented itself -- he would sabotage his own film?

Watch him again: he smiles then moves back, and to the left. Back, and to the left. Back, and to the left.

Does this not look like a man capable of such an abhorrent act? Look beyond the facts, and feel with your gut. Smiling as his friends give their speeches, smiling as panicked producers rush on stage, smiling as the magical moment is stripped from them.5

What kind of man could do this? Yes, what kind of monster indeed.

Jigolo

It's the last award of the night. The biggest award of the night. The process is simple. The presenter comes from stage right - receiving the winning envelope from Matt/Martha. They read the envelope, meet the winners and proceed to stage left, handing the envelope to Martha/Matt. Again, it's a simple process. One that has functioned perfectly for 88 years, gentlemen.

But something went wrong tonight, didn't it? The envelope for Best Actress found its way to stage right somehow despite seemingly being checked on stage left.

Matt or Martha hand Warren the envelope as he goes on stage and it's the wrong letter. A scarlet letter for The Academy. A black mark. It would be outrageous if it weren't so insidious.

C5pf7cJVMAEfnf2.jpg

An unlikely suspect emerges. Leonardo Dicaprio was the last non-Academy representative holding that envelope that night. Perhaps jilted by his decades of snubs, Leo decided to seek satisfaction from his oppressors. He fiendishly swapped out the winning card as he slinked his way backstage.

Fortunately hard evidence proves Leo's innocence, but without concrete leads on any other culprit's -- we are left with the final mystery of guilt.

Of course, what of guilt? By the legal definition, it signifies liability but in emotional terms it is a signal of responsibility. To do the right thing, to have a clear conscience...

But what if the man responsible had no conscience. What if there was a man so insane, so deranged, so addicted to chaos and mayhem that -- when the opportunity presented itself -- he would sabotage his own film?

Watch him again: he smiles then moves back, and to the left. Back, and to the left. Back, and to the left.

Does this not look like a man capable of such an abhorrent act? Look beyond the facts, and feel with your gut. Smiling as his friends give their speeches, smiling as panicked producers rush on stage, smiling as the magical moment is stripped from them.5

lol

Uh, great I geuss?

Never understood why people assign so much significance to these award shows, really just watching rich people feel validated about their narcissism. It's like watching people masturbate to themselves.
I don't think the people who made Moonlight are rich.

ferr

If the envelope does not fit, you must acquit.

Glix

Uh, great I geuss?

While I agree ppl prob take it more seriously than they should,

I strongly disagree with your second point. Celebrating art and artists regardless of how well off they are is valid and appropriate.

Nothus

Read about how this works; fascinating process.

2 people memorize the ballot results, 2 sets of cards are created and placed in envelopes.

2 PWC reps are assigned one complete set of winners envelopes each and take separate, secret routes to the event. Presumably as a fallback in case something happens to one of them. Envelopes are kept in briefcases under lock and key.

The two PWC reps stand on either side of the stage backstage and hand the appropriate envelope for the given category to its presenters before they go on stage. In this way they ensure no early leaks of any kind and keep the results safe.

It appears straight up that the PWC official handed Warren the second Best Actress card, so apparently Warren received the card from the person holding the duplicate set.

Had Warren looked at the front of the envelope he would have realized it was for the wrong category.

It seems likely that the PWC rep due to either fatigue or neglect (maybe too distracted talking to actors backstage) handed Warren the wrong envelope.

The rest is, as they say, history. Heads will roll. But strictly speaking, they had enough fail safes. Sure the card itself could have said the category on it at the top or something, but the category is written in gold fucking filigree right on the front of the envelope. There is no excuse for PWC's rep to give Warren the wrong envelope. It was literally their only fucking job. I presume adding the category in large, bold font above the winning name will become the standard as yet another layer of protection. I assume it wasn't there because of pride, as PWC hangs its hat on having done this right for the last 80 years. Why have another fail safe when it's already safe in their opinion? Unfortunate and I hate that this might overshadow Moonlight's win in the public eye. Given most have not and likely will never see it, their enduring memory will be "ooops" rather than the acceptance speech.

But surely they have to always use the same set as the night progresses, otherwise they run the risk of this happening for every award don't they?

What happens to the cards once the award has been presented? Maybe it was given back to the PWC rep and then he passed it out again to Beatty by mistake?

Riposte

While I agree ppl prob take it more seriously than they should,

I strongly disagree with your second point. Celebrating art and artists regardless of how well off they are is valid and appropriate.

I think the spectacle and the self-importance of the Oscars takes away from that if anything. The arts are celebrated on every level, from fans to major publications, but centralizing merit onto "THE BIG AWARDS THAT ACTUALLY MATTER" which is bumped up by millions of dollars seems to end up with a lot more controversy and campaigning overshadowing the craft.

C5pf7cJVMAEfnf2.jpg

Stop that. He's a real human being, and a real hero.

Zoe

But surely they have to always use the same set as the night progresses, otherwise they run the risk of this happening for every award don't they?

What happens to the cards once the award has been presented? Maybe it was given back to the PWC rep and then he passed it out again to Beatty by mistake?

No, Emma Stone said she had her card.

C5pf7cJVMAEfnf2.jpg

68b889a0-7cee-0133-ed56-0aa00699013d.gif

Braag

I watched the clip on youtube and did the mistake of looking at the comments.
FIlled to the brim with Trump supporters who were weirdly happy at the mistake which to them meant that Hollywood shouldn't criticize Trump since they also caused a mess with the awards.
They were seriously comparing a mixup with the envelopes to all the shit Trump has been pulling off.

1.) Each PWC rep is on a different side of the stage.

2.) Emma had her card after she won and mentioned as much in the post event interviews.

The only conclusion is that both sets of cards are actively used. Perhaps they are supposed to alternate. I didn't read anything about that part. But both sets are used and the envelope Warren was given clearly had (paraphrasing) Best Actress on it in gold text. The zoomed in shots make that indisputable. He didn't check the front, but he wasn't supposed to need to. That was PWCs job. It was their entire purpose on this night. They fucked up in the grandest possible fashion.

Honestly, I think the rep that handed the card was backstage taking pictures with celebs and lost focus needed to finish doing their jobs. Sometimes the easy jobs are the ones more likely to get fucked up.

No, Emma Stone said she had her card.
Again, there are 2 complete sets of cards. Pls read my post.

Uh, great I geuss?

People are jumping all over you for this, but I completely agree with you. It's like watching the modern-day bourgeoisie pat themselves on the back while us proles eat it all up.

People are jumping all over you for this, but I completely agree with you. It's like watching the modern-day bourgeoisie pat themselves on the back while us proles eat it all up.
Kind of agree too. I understand the point of these awards shows, but they never come off well. Not sure how to fix though. Well, I guess fix isn't right word. Many love these things. Probably just me being weird.

pestul

also real being real, this wouldn'tve happened if they didn't have two old people on stage and Faye wasn't plastered
It was funny to see it unfold the way it did though. You can clearly see Faye getting flustered at Warren and then she just reads out the title straight away. You're right though, some would have probably made the same mistake, but I'm sure most would say "Hey, I've got the wrong envelope here."

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Can't wait to hear the unsavory side of the internet get all pissy that the majority black cast movie stole the award because of affirmative action/SJWs screeching.

Not actually looking forward to this.

No way people will really say this right?

Blader

C5pf7cJVMAEfnf2.jpg

4iRJoYc.gif

Maximus.

AP just released this article stating that PwC's reputation is threatened by this major mistake, it's reported by AP that three acceptance speeches from La La Land's team was given before the mistake was recognized and fixed: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/6862...-won-reputation-under-threat-after-oscars-mix

Reading that is just such an over reaction. The brand of a very big and reputable firm is not going to be tarnished over something like this. It was a simple mistake and was corrected almost immediately. Such over reaction for a simple mistake. Yes it sucks a lot for the people involved and especially for the moonlight team.

Uh, great I geuss?

haha, wow, this reads like you've never won an award for something you're proud of in your life. But by all means, keep lording those edges.

mckmas8808

Kind of agree too. I understand the point of these awards shows, but they never come off well. Not sure how to fix though. Well, I guess fix isn't right word. Many love these things. Probably just me being weird.

It's you two being insecure that's the problem. Almost every company in America has awards. Some people call them Actor of the year, Artist of the year, Most Valuable Player (MVP) of a league, whereas other companies call it Employee of the Month or Employee of the Year.

When you see that plague on the wall at McDonalds do you also feel like it's "modern day bourgeoisie" patting themselves on the back?

Aurongel

C5pf7cJVMAEfnf2.jpg

Alex Jones is on GAF?!

:lol

It's you two being insecure that's the problem. Almost every company in America has awards. Some people call them Actor of the year, Artist of the year, Most Valuable Player (MVP) of a league, whereas other companies call it Employee of the Month or Employee of the Year.

When you see that plague on the wall at McDonalds do you also feel like it's "modern day bourgeoisie" patting themselves on the back?
This.

Being honored and appreciated for your work and highlighted by your peers is not unique to the Oscars and permeates society. These posters shouldn't need to be told that.

Reading that is just such an over reaction. The brand of a very big and reputable firm is not going to be tarnished over something like this. It was a simple mistake and was corrected almost immediately. Such over reaction for a simple mistake. Yes it sucks a lot for the people involved and especially for the moonlight team.

Yeah I don't get it. All the fail safes were there but everyone along the chain fucked up. Warren with the open envelope in his hand knew something was wrong and even looked inside thinking he got the wrong card. No one wanted to say anything at this point and just went with it.

I think the only thing that could have been changed to make it more foolproof is just not have duplicate envelopes on that stage at the same time. Sure have them in the building but not at your immediate disposal.

mckmas8808

This.

Being honored and appreciated for your work and highlighted by your peers is not unique to the Oscars and permeates society. These posters shouldn't need to be told that.

Kids literally win trophies at 10 for winning tournaments. Nobody feels bad about this. This is all normal. Crazy how insecure some people can be.

Gigglepoo

Honestly, if Beatty had looked at the card and said "I think they gave me the wrong card" and a producer rushed out with the right one, the conspiracy theories would have really flown. Could have been much uglier.

I swear when Kimmel first came on screen after the commercial break and before Best Picture, you can see someone frantically running across the back of the stage. maybe they knew there was a problem but could not get to the presenters in time?

Only if McDonalds employee was making millions AND broadcasting the award to millions via TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom