• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscars: Chaos on stage after 'Moonlight' wins best Picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schlorgan

Now that this is over we can talk about the real crime of the Oscars this year:

Suicide Squad winning Makeup/Hair over Star Trek.

I'm gonna be salty about that one for a while. xD

also real being real, this wouldn'tve happened if they didn't have two old people on stage and Faye wasn't plastered

Seriously "Emma Stone? Clearly there is a mistake." Simple fix.

I get that it's a high pressure situation, but come on. Especially because the envelope (which he checked and double checked) says "Best Actress in a Lead Role" right on the front.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Only if McDonalds employee was making millions AND broadcasting the award to millions via TV.

Well.....these same people are watched by millions of people every year on TV. It'll be weird to not see them be rewarded the same way we've seen them all year. Being on TV is literally their jobs.

I've already read plenty of comments on Youtube claiming that Moonlight winning is just because of #OscarsSoWhite last year.

They did add younger people to the voting cast this year. I'm sure that had something to do with it. They made the voters more diverse this year for sure. And I think that's a good thing.

Matt's reaction is great acting, way to throw them off the trail

Seriously "Emma Stone? Clearly there is a mistake." Simple fix.

I get that it's a high pressure situation, but come on. Especially because the envelope (which he checked and double checked) says "Best Actress in a Lead Role" right on the front.

It is hilarious how it made everything so chaotic though

KoopaTheCasual

I understand that third "La La Land" producer giving his speech was pissed off and just wanted to get his thanks in before his passive aggressive "we didn't win by the way" but man did he blow a chance for a really cool and dramatic moment.

He could have taken the mic and said this:

"Ladies and Gentleman, there seems to have been a mistake. (pauses for the murmuring rolling across the audience). While I would love to stand here and thank my amazing father, beautiful mother, and everyone who made our win possible, I can not. La La Land did not win the Oscar for Best Picture. (another wave of confusion runs through the crowd)....The winner for Best Picture is Moonlight! (cue shock and disbelief from the audience, as they hold up the actual card)"

Man, it would have been so cool to constantly re-watch for years to come. And this little blurb did not take any premeditation. I literally thought it up right after the third guy made his lackluster remarks on the mic. But I understand how heart-breaking it must be to be given the biggest reward only to have it snatched from you 30 seconds later.

Oh well.

Well.....these same people are watched by millions of people every year on TV. It'll be weird to not see them be rewarded the same way we've seen them all year. Being on TV is literally their jobs.

They did add younger people to the voting cast this year. I'm sure that had something to do with it. They made the voters more diverse this year for sure. And I think that's a good thing.

As I understand it, they also changed the voting mechanisms somehow (a couple of years now). If movies like Spotlight and Moonlight benefit, I am all for it.

C5rZqBAWQAEo2Mw.jpg

Meryl Streep has the best reaction
matt damon's best performance to date.

Choomp

Banned
This was such a mess, but it was a pretty/awesome cool way to win. As someone who absolutely adored La La Land, would probably put the film in my top 5, I can't help but find this whole thing funny. It's a good meme, actually, and the 3-1 stuff makes me laugh.

Also everything I've heard/seen of Moonlight makes me think that it's really good that this would win and get more recognition even if I haven't seen the movie

It is hilarious how it made everything so chaotic though

Crazy that all-time fuck up coincided with big upset too. There was a good chance that the envelope mix up wouldn't even matter. LLL was the huge favorite, and if you just had to call a shot in the dark winner that would be the choice.

Crazy that all-time fuck up coincided with big upset too. There was a good chance that the envelope mix up wouldn't even matter. LLL was the huge favorite, and if you just had to call a shot in the dark winner that would be the choice.

My god could you imagine if this happened and everyone just kinda swept it under the rug

Uh, great I geuss?

Never understood why people assign so much significance to these award shows, really just watching rich people feel validated about their narcissism. It's like watching people masturbate to themselves.

Eh, you know I would normally be in this mindset but Moonlight is such a landmark work of art that it deserves all the recognition it gets (and then some)

Catdaddy

You would think by process of elimination, there should only be one envelope left since it’s the last award. I thought one of the two sets was a backup just in case something happened to one of the sets (damaged – lost – etc.). Giving out from both stacks is just asking for a problem. Still funny as hell though....

Now that this is over we can talk about the real crime of the Oscars this year:

Suicide Squad winning Makeup/Hair over Star Trek.

I'm gonna be salty about that one for a while. xD

I can live with it if I pretend the award is only going to the people who did Killer Croc.

I posted this in the other thread, but I'll put it here since it's got some explanation on how it can happen.

Huffington Post did an article on what would happen if the wrong name was read just yesterday.

Cullinan is one of the people you see running out there to correct things.
Seems preplanned to have a article about it 2 days before it happened. Or they need to not let people over 70 present awards outside of lifetime ones

Parch

What took them so long? It takes a minute for the LaLa group to get to the stage and they were well into their speeches before this was corrected. Immediately after the wrong announcement was made the accounting firm should have been out there stopping the show.

They've take full responsibility now, but I wonder if there's grounds for Beatty and Dunaway to sue that accounting firm. They obviously don't expect to be given the wrong envelope, but they're taking a lot of heat for this and it's a major embarrassment for them in front of millions of viewers worldwide. Something that was admitted to be no fault of theirs.

Major, major screw up. During one of the biggest announcements of the year in front of a huge audience. LOL.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Eh, you know I would normally be in this mindset but Moonlight is such a landmark work of art that it deserves all the recognition it gets (and then some)

I watched the movie and liked it. But minutes after finishing it I gave it a C+. Then sitting back and thinking on the entire story ark of the movie, I bump it up to a B- or B at most. So I ask you why did you like it so much? And what was the "landmark" work of art?

As I understand it, they also changed the voting mechanisms somehow (a couple of years now). If movies like Spotlight and Moonlight benefit, I am all for it.

They did change it up. They increased the number of qualified movies to the list. And I agree, it's for the better.

Parch

You would think by process of elimination, there should only be one envelope left since it’s the last award. I thought one of the two sets was a backup just in case something happened to one of the sets (damaged – lost – etc.). Giving out from both stacks is just asking for a problem. Still funny as hell though....
Apparently there is a set on both sides of the stage so that they can give the presenters the envelope depending on which side they enter. The 2nd set wasn't just a backup.

Gigglepoo

They've take full responsibility now, but I wonder if there's grounds for Beatty and Dunaway to sue that accounting firm. They obviously don't expect to be given the wrong envelope, but they're taking a lot of heat for this and it's a major embarrassment for them in front of millions of viewers worldwide. Something that was admitted to be no fault of theirs.

CUxLxvVUkAAR-sE.jpg

Shepard

In all other categories La la land competed vs Moonlight, the decision came from simple victory (the one with the most #1 votes wins, and LLL won almost all of them), so there's a high chance that La la land would've won if the older system was still in place. Moonlight probably won thanks to the new system.

Window

They switched to a preferential ballot with an instant run off, where votes from the film with the lowest #1 votes is eliminated and its votes are transferred to the next film on the ballot's rankings. This continues until the winner is determined. So this favours films which generally rank high and not films which rank both low and high.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Uh, great I geuss?

Never understood why people assign so much significance to these award shows, really just watching rich people feel validated about their narcissism. It's like watching people masturbate to themselves.
Did you jack off to this post since you're obviously smarter than everyone else? Everyone needs to know how great you are for not liking the oscars.

You should get an award for your narcissism.

If you watch closely, Emma Stone didn't get her envelope, she just walked off with the Oscar. So they probably took her envelope backstage and tossed it on the prop table and then it got grabbed instead of the Best Picture envelope.

Catdaddy

If you watch closely, Emma Stone didn't get her envelope, she just walked off with the Oscar. So they probably took her envelope backstage and tossed it on the prop table and then it got grabbed instead of the Best Picture envelope.

Yeah but the seal would be broken... anyways I'm sure in the coming days we'll get some lengthy reason it happened from PwC, that in the end will say "we fucked up" or "we let Steve Harvey stuff the envelopes".

cyba89

When will this whole affair get an Hollywood adaption? Who will play Warren Beatty? Who Producer Guy #1?
And will it win Best Picture?

Shepard

She told in an interview that she had her envelope with her the whole time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom