• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OSL Grand Finals Flash vs Jaedong (Again x 7) - Thread of Last BW OSL?

Zzoram

Technosteve said:
i don't see how JD can win

He can't. He's about to run out of money.

There it is, GG!

Flash gets the Golden Mouse at last!

Imagine how good Flash would be with SCII Terran :D

Sloegr

Haunted said:
So Flash won their last two finals?

Yeah. Flash has been to the last 6 finals, 3 of which have been against Jaedong. He won the last 2.

Edit: Oops, Mumei is right. He has won 3 in a row against Jaedong. My mistake.

Zzoram

Flash really is the greatest Broodwar player of all time. Not only does he now hold the highest award possible, but he's done it today, when Broodwar's average and peak skill level is far higher than it ever was, and against Jaedong, the most difficult opponent he could have ever faced, on a map that Terran can almost never win.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zzoram said:
Flash really is the greatest Broodwar player of all time. Not only does he now hold the highest award possible, but he's done it today, when Broodwar's average and peak skill level is far higher than it ever was, and against Jaedong, the most difficult opponent he could have ever faced, on a map that Terran can almost never win.
Well if we get 2 more OSL's maybe he can get a platnium ;)

Mumei

Zzoram said:

Well.

Let's be fair; there's only one starting position that is unfair for Terran on that map, and Flash wasn't in it.

Still a Zerg favored map even if Terran gets 3, to be sure, but not a "Terran can almost never win" map, anymore.

And yeah, Flash is definitely the most skilled player to ever play the game, with Jaedong second.

Who is third?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Mumei said:
Well.

Let's be fair; there's only one starting position that is unfair for Terran on that map, and Flash wasn't in it.

Still a Zerg favored map even if Terran gets 3, to be sure, but not a "Terran can almost never win" map, anymore.

And yeah, Flash is definitely the most skilled player to ever play the game, with Jaedong second.

Who is third?
Imo Flash and JD are so far ahead everyone else is in another category.

http://www.teamliquid.net/tlpd/korean/players/detailed-elo
With a near 70% WR across the board FlaSh is the undisputed best player.

Mumei

spoon! said:
savior. except maybe that name doesn't count anymore since he was excluded from all those OSL flashbacks. :lol

:lol

Flash reminds me of this preternatural mix of savior's (at his peak) game sense and timing, with the mechanics of JD.

It really is amazing to watch.

Zzoram

Hazaro said:
Imo Flash and JD are so far ahead everyone else is in another category.

http://www.teamliquid.net/tlpd/korean/players/detailed-elo
With a near 70% WR across the board FlaSh is the undisputed best player.

Actually Flash is pretty much in his own category now. He's beaten Jaedong in concurrent MSL/OSL finals convincingly. He beat Jaedoing in the last finals (MSL) that they played. Jaedong is the only one who can even put up a fight, but he can't beat Flash anymore. The only game he won today was a 4pool.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zzoram said:
Actually Flash is pretty much in his own category now. He's beaten Jaedong in concurrent MSL/OSL finals convincingly. Jaedong is the only one who can even put up a fight, but he can't beat Flash anymore. The only game he won today was a 4pool.
Of course

Sloegr

Mumei said:
:lol

Flash reminds me of this preternatural mix of savior's (at his peak) game sense and timing, with the mechanics of JD.

It really is amazing to watch.

It is. Hopefully we'll see him at work for quite a while longer. It'd be a shame to miss out on his dominance just because a new game was released.

Mumei

From October 1 2009 until today.

Record:
140-41 (77.35%)

TvT
49-14 (77.78%)

TvP
37-8 (82.22%)

TvZ
54-19 (73.97%)

Individual Titles:
4 Gold 2 Silver

Team league Titles:
PL Finals Gold WL Finals Gold

ELO Record

Kespa Record

Reposting this from TL.

Zzoram

If Blizzard wants Korea to switch to SCII, they need to somehow poach Flash and Jaedong. That would bring almost the entire BW fanbase to SCII immediately.

Zzoram said:
If Blizzard wants Korea to switch to SCII, they need to somehow poach Flash and Jaedong. That would bring almost the entire BW fanbase to SCII immediately.
pay them millions, but blizz is to cheap for that

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zzoram said:
I want to see them stick to SC for at least a few more months.

Let Boxer and Nada(?) and July get the spotlight for a bit :)

Mumei

spoon! said:
Monster stats. GOAT.

lol @ the bitter terran hate from the sc2 players screaming imba on chat.

I do think that there is a slight imbalance, but I think it is a difficult conversation to have because fanboys seem to think that it is an attempt to delegitimize Flash's wins.

With that said, I think that overall the difference is fairly small (what, like 53 - 54% TvZ? That's about as good as white's record against black in chess :lol), and it only seems truly salient at the very highest levels of play. Even then, they might have something to complain about if they could argue that Jaedong was outplaying Flash or even playing evenly, but he wasn't.

So, basically, I do think that there's an imbalance, but it's not something that you can legitimately complain about when you were outplayed without even considering balance.

Zzoram

Terran is not obviously imbalanced over Zerg. If you look at other Terran players, who among them could take a Bo5 off Jaedong? Has anyone other than Flash even taken a Bo5 off Jaedong?

Flash is imbalanced. He is a god amongst men.

spoon!

Mumei said:
So, basically, I do think that there's an imbalance, but it's not something that you can legitimately complain about when you were outplayed without even considering balance.
Agree. Without going into the balance debate, JD got his head done in by Flash on EotS. I can believe that JD planned to 4 pool on PR going into the finals. But to do the exact same cheese again on Grand Line, then resorting to trickery on zergliner says everything about the confidence he had in his play once he got in the booth. As he said himself, the game he brought today was embarrassing. The sick thing is if he played the same against Fantasy, I could only imagine a 3-1 result for JD at worst :lol

Mumei

Zzoram said:
Terran is not obviously imbalanced over Zerg. If you look at other Terran players, who among them could take a Bo5 off Jaedong? Has anyone other than Flash even taken a Bo5 off Jaedong?

Flash is imbalanced. He is a god amongst men.

Legitimately? Probably Fantasy or Light would have a fair chance. Light very nearly did it, and so did Fantasy. On the right maps, maybe Sea could (well, maybe not, thinking about MSL), and fOrGG has done so.

And yeah, JD has lost Best of 5s to Rock (1 - 3) in 2007, Calm (1 - 3) in 2008, and fOrGG (0 - 3) in 2009. Aside from that, though, Flash accounts for all of Jaedong's Bo5 losses (23 - 6), all in 2010.

I didn't say that Terran was obviously imbalanced over Zerg, because that's not true. I said it was very slightly imbalanced over Zerg, that those advantages are only salient when a player is as good as Flash, and that the imbalance is not the reason why Flash won. I think it's a perfectly fair statement to make given the uncontroversial nature of the idea that the game is not perfectly balanced (how could it be?) and that small differences become more important at higher levels of play.

farnham

Banned
wow what a let down of a final :lol :lol

dont want to shit this thread up but starcraft 1 (obviously) shows its age in comparison to SC2. People been shitting over the GSL all the time because the players are all scrubs but what i saw today definately wasnt any better.

4drones twice was just :lol :lol

farnham

Banned
Mumei said:
Lies. BW >>>>> SCII

Talk to me in 10 years. :D
the game is soooo much slower and specifically the matches today were just laughable. out of 4 games we had 2 totally cheese games and 2 games with total domination from the terran. Im not saying SCI is worse per se. but todays matches were just lacking.

the only thing that is better about SCI right now is the hilarious commentators

im missing that from the GSL although Artosis and Tasteless are good in their own right.

farnham said:

dont want to shit this thread up but starcraft 1 (obviously) shows its age in comparison to SC2. People been shitting over the GSL all the time because the players are all scrubs but what i saw today definately wasnt any better.

Wow, i thought you wouldn't be able to top your stupidity in the sales age threads but low and behold you have proven me wrong!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
farnham said:
the game is soooo much slower and specifically the matches today were just laughable. out of 4 games we had 2 totally cheese games and 2 games with total domination from the terran. Im not saying SCI is worse per se. but todays matches were just lacking.

the only thing that is better about SCI right now is the hilarious commentators

im missing that from the GSL although Artosis and Tasteless are good in their own right.
It was a shell of a beast trying to grab a shred of victory.

Also those early pressure have clear defined impacts and game direction into mid and late game. The timing was excellent by both players in all their games, JD just let his defiler at 1' pop not enough energy and Flash sniped it.

The early pressure from Flash in the other game was to counter act any chance of an harassed 2 base fast muta play, which on that map might have allowed JD to take an easy 3rd, or even 4th in the early game. Instead he forced a change to lurkers and took advantage of lack of air to drop, forcing JD to stay on 2 base and countering the only action JD had left, which was to defend the doomdrop with swarm which he did beautifully.

Sloegr

farnham said:

That's just silly. If someone judges SC2 off of watching one GSL set, then they are being just as nearsighted.

SC1's balance and metagame are far ahead of SC2's at this point. So are the quality of players. That's not a knock on SC2 at all - SC1 is the most successful competitive videogame ever, and SC2 has not even been out for 2 months.

I guess some people just need to convince themselves that the latest is always the greatest. Hopefully it will be at some point, but it isn't yet.

farnham

Banned
AdventureRacing said:
Wow, i thought you wouldn't be able to top your stupidity in the sales age threads but low and behold you have proven me wrong!
I have seen good SC1 matches in the past. but this finals was a total letdown. Mainly because Jaedong failed in so many aspects but still. The second 4 drone was painful to watch.

Dresden

Flash and Jaedong should just take their skills and go conquer SC2. Maybe we can stop focusing on scrubs like Idra then.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Dresden said:
Flash and Jaedong should just take their skills and go conquer SC2. Maybe we can stop focusing on scrubs like Idra then.
Need to let Boxer/July face off against iDra and TLO.

Shit will be awesome.

Top Bottom