• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Otome Community Thread: Happiness isn't a limited commodity, my love is boundless!

Shizuka

Most otome fans will not be aware of this, but since I follow the localization scene for the niche publishers closely, I got to see this unraveling.

Did you guys know XSEED almost published a PSP otome game in 2013? The game was English Detective Mysteria, published by their parent company in Japan. Localization was already on its way, but something happened and they had to drop the project. It was going to be XSEED's first pure (no gameplay) visual novel and their first otome game as well.

Saphirax

Most otome fans will not be aware of this, but since I follow the localization scene for the niche publishers closely, I got to see this unraveling.

Did you guys know XSEED almost published a PSP otome game in 2013? The game was English Detective Mysteria, published by their parent company in Japan. Localization was already on its way, but something happened and they had to drop the project. It was going to be XSEED's first pure (no gameplay) visual novel and their first otome game as well.

Yep, it's unfortunate it didn't work out. Although there's a Vita port so there's still hope :p.

Westraid

This thread needs more otome! Here are some recently released trailers:
angelique-retour-ps-vita-new-trailer.jpg

Angelique Retour

That trailer actually got me interested in Angelique Retour. I had looked into it before, but the site didn't have screenshots and all the guys looked like this >:| which put me off.

Same with Bara ni Kakusareshi Verite.
I love the setting and the art is nice but all the guys look so snobby and mean! I'm expecting 50 bad endings in which they deliberately get the heroine end up at the guillotine.

Also, heard someone mention on that Twitter Idea Factory International is going to announce new titles in a few days? If it's true, hope for more otome!

Saphirax

That trailer actually got me interested in Angelique Retour. I had looked into it before, but the site didn't have screenshots and all the guys looked like this >:| which put me off.

Same with Bara ni Kakusareshi Verite.
I love the setting and the art is nice but all the guys look so snobby and mean! I'm expecting 50 bad endings in which they deliberately get the heroine end up at the guillotine.

Also, heard someone mention on that Twitter Idea Factory International is going to announce new titles in a few days? If it's true, hope for more otome!

Personally, I like the way BnKV looks. It's different enough that it gets your attention.

IFI has an event on the 4th I believe. I wish we'd get more nonDL otome game localizations but what we'll probably get are more Neptunia games and Fairy Fencer F for ps4.

Kirie

Nice to see Kirie has claimed OZMAFIA's OT, I'll work on getting links for the OTs added to this OP as well.

Hopefully I'll do it justice! Gonna start making it soon so it'll be all nice and ready when they announce the release date. I'll have to bug you guys for the OT one liner though since I'm terrible coming up with them, lol.

Luckily a lot of them have some smiling portraits up :D Randy looks pretty genki lol

I'm partial to Olivie, Clavis, and Lumiale though at this point. I loooove Olivie's redesign. I like Julious' and Oscar's designs, but not too sure I'll be into their personalities.

Shizuka

Personally, I like the way BnKV looks. It's different enough that it gets your attention.

IFI has an event on the 4th I believe. I wish we'd get more nonDL otome game localizations but what we'll probably get are more Neptunia games and Fairy Fencer F for ps4.

Let's just pray it's not Diabolik Lovers.

Interesting thread. I am more familiar with BL stuff, but I want to get into more Otome, though I don't have a Vita and iOS games seem content on microtransactions.

I did play The Second Reproduction, I thought it was okay. Though I thought it became less interesting once the individual routes kicked in.

jzbluz

I think MG mentioned that they wanted to include vita's extras for their Ozmafia!! release but that the negotiations haven't gone well yet.

I gotta ask: what was everyone's first otome?

Mine was... Well, I didn't even realize it was an otome game at the time. I didn't even know what an otome game was. Regardeless of all that, this was my gateway to the genre.

256px-Princess_Debut_US_Cover.jpg

I actually think this might have been mine as well. I don't remember that much of it though.

I noticed you didn't mention any of D3's Forbidden Romance games. There's a lot of them on Android and iOS, but they recently released Men of Yoshiwara: Kikuya on Steam.

I played a bit of their games and I was kinda meh; it didn't help that that my tablet get crashing. They have a voiced mobile game that I was interested, but they haven't translated it yet.

BL is even worse. I love the genre, Hours Left love it even more, but what are we, two people?

Hey! I'm a BL fan! I even bought AO and Enzai. I just haven't finished one single game... I wish we could get Vita BL games, I would probably finish those. Probably.

Yuri ghosts game from Liarsoft. :p

This is going to be my first Yuri game, so hopefully I will like it. Gay men probably feel the same way about BL that I feel about Yuri; like it's not made for my gender.

I wish people would bother KT more about their otome. I want to play a remake of the first otome! I'm also interested in Harukanaru. I was actually playing the demo for 6 and I was doing alright, but got completely lost when they started explaining plot.

Kanashimi

I played a bit of their games and I was kinda meh; it didn't help that that my tablet get crashing. They have a voiced mobile game that I was interested, but they haven't translated it yet.

Oh gosh, they have localization issues out the wazoo, but their CG is nice at least. I just wouldn't pay full price for the game on Steam is all (also not a fan of how they price their routes on mobile).

Dee Dee

The DS game looks interesting. I'll keep it in mind, thanks! I heard about Voltage games, but I'm not sure about their quality. I haven't seen a lot of substance to them.

I agree that they are low on substance, but I have to say I truely enjoy them for what they are. 3 EUR really is not a lot of money for me in conparison, and I have come to accept that there are some duds in there for sure.
I can personally recommend "In your Arms tonight", at least the co-worker and the boss routes. They made the MC (main character) a bit older for the game too, and the main story is pretty long (15 chapters) compared to the other games (13 chapters). If you get the best ending you can also check out the normal ending immediately without having to replay the whole route in this one.

My favourite is "Serendipity Next Door", the Omi and Jinpachi routes were pretty cool I thought, tropey and dramatic at times, but not overdone (by otome standards, so expect lots of drama). It wasn't popular at all unfortunately, so it never got a second season.

All Voltage games let you play the prologue and first chapters for free, which gives you quite a good feel for the theme and the routes.
Yes, some of them are bullshit. I instantly "nope"d out of several of them, but you could at least risk a look.

Saphirax

I agree that they are low on substance, but I have to say I truely enjoy them for what they are. 3 EUR really is not a lot of money for me in conparison, and I have come to accept that there are some duds in there for sure.
I can personally recommend "In your Arms tonight", at least the co-worker and the boss routes. They made the MC (main character) a bit older for the game too, and the main story is pretty long (15 chapters) compared to the other games (13 chapters). If you get the best ending you can also check out the normal ending immediately without having to replay the whole route in this one.

My favourite is "Serendipity Next Door", the Omi and Jinpachi routes were pretty cool I thought, tropey and dramatic at times, but not overdone (by otome standards, so expect lots of drama). It wasn't popular at all unfortunately, so it never got a second season.

All Voltage games let you play the prologue and first chapters for free, which gives you quite a good feel for the theme and the routes.
Yes, some of them are bullshit. I instantly "nope"d out of several of them, but you could at least risk a look.

Thanks! I'll probably give one of them a go eventually. Although eyeless heroines kinda freak me out :p.

jzbluz

I've played a couple of Voltage games, and they're not that bad. But they can get a bit expensive, and I prefer not to be nickel and dimed.

Karin and Marvelous had a publishing agreement, but it ended somewhat abruptly (or maybe not) and the digital version was taken off the PSN. There's a Vita version coming out soon, but maybe Marvelous and Karin are in bad terms and XSEED wouldn't be able to license it? I don't really know how these things work.

Shizuka

Karin and Marvelous had a publishing agreement, but it ended somewhat abruptly (or maybe not) and the digital version was taken off the PSN. There's a Vita version coming out soon, but maybe Marvelous and Karin are in bad terms and XSEED wouldn't be able to license it? I don't really know how these things work.

The Vita release seems to be handled exclusively by Karin, I guess that now that MAQL is out of the picture, the Vita release isn't a possibility as well.

Woah, an otome community thread. Maybe this is finally the thing that will make me post more often on GAF.

I actually haven't played many. I was (and am still) a big fan of drama CDs, and was introduced to otome by them. I think the first game I tried was one of the older Angelique titles, but for some reason I didn't really get into the genre until I played Harukanaru Toki no Naka de 3 much later.

Lately I've been playing Yume100 and Ensemble Stars, though those are mostly mobile games with otome elements rather than being a strict VN type of game.

Was about to ask if anyone here has fallen into the dark pit known as drama CDs. My comprehension is pretty low but I'm usually able to follow along with the basics of what's happening.

Also dummyhead mic kissing noises is a universal language.

It was weird when I took a break from following releases a few years ago and then came back to find that adult-rated otome CDs had become a thing, when R-18 drama stuff used to be contained to mainly BL CDs. Not that I'm complaining... lol

I finished it a week or so ago, actually; it's definitely one of my favorite otome games. I was so sad when I finished it; I didn't want to leave all my boys behind. :(

I"m playing Dandelion now; the pacing's iffy and I'm not a fan of stat-building in visual novels, but other than those two criticisms it's not too bad so far. (Note: I haven't beaten even one route yet, so we'll see how it goes.) I'm also playing Amnesia: Memories on Steam (got it for $3 :D). I'm on Shin's route, and I gotta say: I don't really like him. He needs an attitude readjustment. :mad:

Oh God Dandelion. I quit out of frustration with the stats, I fucking hate stat gaming and I just refuse to do it altogether at this point. Shame because i wanted to play Hatoful Boyfriend and I didn't know it was stat based before I bought it.

Shin gets better, he's one of those secret sweeties though he's always grumpy. But fuck he's a damn sight better than some certain characters in that game (other routes spoilers:)
TOMA YOU FUCKING PSYCHO, YOUR DOG CAGE ROUTE IS THE LOWEST I'VE EVER SEEN AN OTOME GO
. Ikki and Shin were my faves though Ikki's route was extremely frustrating since (Ikki spoilers)
You have to get walked all over by his fan club and he doesn't stick up for you like he should. Yeah the game explains it all and he gets better but I don't like that shit.

EDIT: I remain thrilled that this thread exists, I love everyone's POV and all the stuff you guys know about it on the business end. Fabulous.

Shizuka

Hey hey hey!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1147388.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Shizuka, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Amnesia: Memories -- MB-0F476CE8903BA58A - Taken by cj_iwakura. 2 entrants total.

t1449091348z1.png

eefara

Oh God Dandelion. I quit out of frustration with the stats, I fucking hate stat gaming and I just refuse to do it altogether at this point. Shame because i wanted to play Hatoful Boyfriend and I didn't know it was stat based before I bought it.

Shin gets better, he's one of those secret sweeties though he's always grumpy.

EDIT: I remain thrilled that this thread exists, I love everyone's POV and all the stuff you guys know about it on the business end. Fabulous.

From what I remember of Hatoful, the stats don't actually affect anything, and if they do it's super minor. I'd say try it despite the stats; they're not nearly as bad as Dandelion.

Oh, okay. I definitely need to pick Amnesia back up; hopefully Shin grows on me.

gaiages

Banned
Now that I did not like, being called an idiot (especially by a boyfriend) is not a good way to endear yourself to me. :p Sou don't play that shit.

I agree with that, but I still liked Shin's story pretty well. The whole 'whodunit' thing was neat. It just would have been nicer if Shin was less of a jerk.

jzbluz

Anyone else thinks that otome game by Marvelous as pretty likely lately? They did Bakumatsu Rock, which seems to have done well going by how much support it got, and since Net High seems to have underperformed (probably too early to tell), maybe they'll go back to the female market in regards to VNs. An otome game seems like a likely next step.

Shizuka

I don't know if anyone won, I think the "no lurkers" rule kinda blocked everyone from the giveaway. I'll do it again when I get home and remove that rule.

ss-hikaru

I haven't played any otome games yet but I am interested, particularly in Sweet Fuse, Amnesia (on sale atm I should get it...) and Code:Realize. Not released yet and JP only but I really like the look of Bad Apple Wars. Nice to see a thread that I can follow for updates on these scene :)

I have a Vita so I'm mostly only interested in games available on there, and there don't seem to be that many. For some reason I don't find Hakuoki appealing and part of me wonders if it's because I've been tainted by Gintama (just too used to those "versions" of the Shinsengumi haha....).

Haha, seeing people discussing the new Angelique reminded me of that awesome Gamecenter CX episode, which got me interested in the genre in the first place.

That episode was so cute XD

[]http://www.d3p.co.jp/hyakka/images/gallery/eventgraphic_06.png[/IMG]
Hyakka Hyakurou trailer

More here. Coming out in 2016.

I need this. Same developers are making Kenka Banchou Otome.

Love that art!
IIRC Kenjiro Tsuda is in this as well. I'm kind of a seiyuu pleb but he's one that I go gaga for.

I haven't played any otome games yet but I am interested, particularly in Sweet Fuse, Amnesia (on sale atm I should get it...) and Code:Realize. Not released yet and JP only but I really like the look of Bad Apple Wars. Nice to see a thread that I can follow for updates on these scene :)

I have a Vita so I'm mostly only interested in games available on there, and there don't seem to be that many. For some reason I don't find Hakuoki appealing and part of me wonders if it's because I've been tainted by Gintama (just too used to those "versions" of the Shinsengumi haha....).

BAW... between that and Prince of Stride (unfortunate acronym...) and KgK I wish my Japanese were so much better. Nothing much to do buy grind it out until I can stop taking ten minutes to translate a single text box.

It kind of shocked me that some companies were still sticking to PSP. I think they've only just recently announced UtaPri for the Vita. I don't mind all the ports, though, not like I had a chance to play these games before.

Saphirax

Love that art!
IIRC Kenjiro Tsuda is in this as well. I'm kind of a seiyuu pleb but he's one that I go gaga for.

BAW... between that and Prince of Stride (unfortunate acronym...) and KgK I wish my Japanese were so much better. Nothing much to do buy grind it out until I can stop taking ten minutes to translate a single text box.

It kind of shocked me that some companies were still sticking to PSP. I think they've only just recently announced UtaPri for the Vita. I don't mind all the ports, though, not like I had a chance to play these games before.

I thought I recognized his voice from Tales of Zestiria! Guess I was right :D.

Shizuka

Let's try this again, open for all now.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1147388.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Shizuka, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Amnesia: Memories -- MB-0F476CE8903BA58A - Taken by cj_iwakura. 2 entrants total.

t1449246815z1.png

Yeah, it kinda bothered me that some of the guys were able to touch her in the end, while others didn't.

That kind of route favoritism drives me insane in otome--I don't think every route should be the same but I don't feel I or the MC should be punished for going a certain route. I think every path should have some really special moments for the MC and the dude, there shouldn't be routes where you basically get nothing and one where it's just all kinds of amazing things (unless it makes some kind of story sense like if it's a route with a villain or something).

Shizuka

That kind of route favoritism drives me insane in otome--I don't think every route should be the same but I don't feel I or the MC should be punished for going a certain route. I think every path should have some really special moments for the MC and the dude, there shouldn't be routes where you basically get nothing and one where it's just all kinds of amazing things (unless it makes some kind of story sense like if it's a route with a villain or something).

Saint-Germain shouldn't have been able to touch Cardia, but Van Helsing and Impey should. I don't remember if the latter was able to touch her in his ending, though.

Saint-Germain shouldn't have been able to touch Cardia, but Van Helsing and Impey should. I don't remember if the latter was able to touch her in his ending, though.

Impey couldn't I don't think, he got those kisses in and then he was done. Saint-Germain's touching was kind of horrifying lol. Not touching in the least.

ss-hikaru

I'm interested in Prince of Stride too! The anime though, I'd forgotten it was also a game XD

I went and bought Amnesia~ Is the music good enough to justify buying the Keepsake Box?

eefara

So I plan on buying both Norn9 and Code: Realize, one at a time. My priorities are story > length, so, based on that, which should I buy first, with the thought of saving the better for last?

Top Bottom