• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Otome Community Thread: Happiness isn't a limited commodity, my love is boundless!

cj_iwakura

Did imgur really take out the feature that lets you copy and paste a whole ton of image links at once? That was crazy convenient for image posts.

Kirie

Harukanaru 6 was in the top 5 so it did pretty well, but it's still a decline from the previous titles; If I remember correctly, some of the older titles sold twice as much. But then everything has gone down, except for maybe UtaPri. For example, the original Norn9 sold close to 30,000, which hasn't happen in years.

Thanks for the numbers! Yeah they definitely seem lower than 3/4/5 but I'm happy it's so high up on the list. Still can't believe how many copies UtaPri continues to push, lol.

For Amnesia, most of the typos I saw were during
Ukyo's
route, but hopefully they managed to fix them on Steam.

cj_iwakura

First update should go live after PSX, already started work on the thread.

I had the perfect OT title in mind while I was playing the prologue, and now I can't remember it. Ironic, no? :( I have a fall back, though.

Okay so I got Toma's true ending and the
"What the fuuuuck" is out of this world. I'm completely at a loss.

I guess it's just as well.
Not only is Toma insane but so is the heroine..at least in this world.

eefara

First update should go live after PSX, already started work on the thread.

I had the perfect OT title in mind while I was playing the prologue, and now I can't remember it. Ironic, no? :( I have a fall back, though.

Are you gonna follow a guide for the LP?

cj_iwakura

If the LP turns out to be a wash, I'll just do an abbreviated version here or something with the occasional screenshot update.

Shizuka

While I take a rest between the games I've been currently playing, I decided to get back to Hatoful Boyfriend and get the remaining routes I'm missing. After that, I'll only have Amnesia: Memories and Norn9 left.

Shizuka

Thanks! I noticed the OP was missing Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star, so it's now listed under "future releases".

Busaiku

So I found out about Goes! through ANN, which has all the male characters voiced by female VAs, and really, I'm just wondering, what's the point?
I would assume for the primary demographic of these games, the male VAs are the big selling point.
Most of them sound really poor too in relation to the character designs, but Ms. Saiga is phenomenal.

Shizuka

I like how different the endings for Hatoful Boyfriend can be. I got one that'd rival Toma's route in Amnesia: Memories.

So I found out about Goes! through ANN, which has all the male characters voiced by female VAs, and really, I'm just wondering, what's the point?
I would assume for the primary demographic of these games, the male VAs are the big selling point.
Most of them sound really poor too in relation to the character designs, but Ms. Saiga is phenomenal.

A few otomes make guys look like girls, have them sound like girls was the next logical step, right?

cj_iwakura

I like how different the endings for Hatoful Boyfriend can be. I got one that'd rival Toma's route in Amnesia: Memories.

A few otomes make guys look like girls, have them sound like girls was the next logical step, right?

Then the next one is for them to actually be them. (There has to have been one with that as a plot element by now.)

jzbluz

Well, there's that BL mobile game that SP tried to kickstar that had guys turn into magical girls. Goes apparently got attention when it was first unveiled, but it didn't chart so it must have not done well. The developer's previous game had a weak reception but that one at least sold 2,000 copies.

Shizuka

Well, there's that BL mobile game that SP tried to kickstar that had guys turn into magical girls. Goes apparently got attention when it was first unveiled, but it didn't chart so it must have not done well. The developer's previous game had a weak reception but that one at least sold 2,000 copies.

There is one sorta, some Magical Girl themed game. A company tried to Kickstart an English translation but it wasn't funded.

Well, that one is a BL game, not quite otome.

Shizuka

I don't know how Devolver could release Hatoful Boyfriend in a kinda broken state on the Vita. There are several audio glitches throughout all routes and the game crashes again and again.

Get ready for them typos (unless they fixed the Steam version and left the Vita version for dead).

Holy shit those typos. Code Realize also had a shit ton of typos in the last chapter, why is it always the last chapter that seems to suffer from typos, crunch time?

Shizuka

The BBL route in Hatoful Boyfriend had me completely in awe. I'm stunned by how great the game is when you're done with all the routes, it's one of my favorite otome now.

Well, that one is a BL game, not quite otome.
Did the MC turn into a girl too? I only looked at it briefly but it seemed like some sort of BL/otome mix but maybe I am misremembering.

It was certainly unique regardless.

I mean one where it's a girl disguised as a guy.
Oh, well I can think of any games off hand but I'm sure there's a couple of manga or something with a similar plot.

Why? Theres a few male character voiced by females that sound great.

I think the only thing the game would lose out on is live events would probably not be as exciting.

Get Megumi Ogata in an otome game and my interest will rise. Eager to see some impressions about Goes and whether it's decent, but yeah my initial reaction to the game is that the all-female seiyuu casting is something of a gimmick to distinguish the product rather than something people were clamoring for.

I mean one where it's a girl disguised as a guy.

Haven't heard of one were it's a secret/plot twist that a character was a girl disguised as a boy, but I do remember reading a review for one otome game where there was a route for a girl. The character basically dressed/acted like a "prince" archetype, and of course they did the whole "oh no but we're both girls such forbidden love" drama but hey it's something. Wish I could remember the name of it, that would be more helpful lol.

Gekka Ryouran Romance has a female route.

Anyway, Otomate and Neoromance are partnering up to make a new Neo Angelique game. I wonder if that makes a future localization possible? Lol.

Ah, that's the one I was thinking of.

jzbluz

Anyway, Otomate and Neoromance are partnering up to make a new Neo Angelique game. I wonder if that makes a future localization possible? Lol.

Kirie

Oooooooh that's fantastic news! Definitely way more likely to come over since they are collabing on it.

I heard there was a new Geten no Hana project too, did you hear anything about that? Wondering if it's just a fandisc or Vita port. Either way I'm beyond stoked :D

I heard there was a new Geten no Hana project too, did you hear anything about that? Wondering if it's just a fandisc or Vita port. Either way I'm beyond stoked :D
That's the series you told me about before, right? It looks so good.

English please.

jzbluz

Oooooooh that's fantastic news! Definitely way more likely to come over since they are collabing on it.

No idea. The newest information I heard about Geten no Hana was the mobile port, and that happened ages ago.

Fun fact, the artist of Geten no Hana, Kuku Hayate, draws BL manga. Actually, Hours Left might like them since she draws her men pretty manly compared to most BL artists.

Kirie

That's the series you told me about before, right? It looks so good.

English please.

It is! That'd be amazing :D I'm assuming you liked Hideyoshi's design the most?

Hideyoshi-Toyotomi-Geten-no-Hana-321789-full.jpeg

My favorite is Mitsuhide personally since I'm a sucker for cold characters that warm up over time (and he's super bish which is a huge preference for me)

uljm06234_00012.jpg

Ah found all of the new Neoromance info: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201512/06094696.html

ss-hikaru

Get Megumi Ogata in an otome game and my interest will rise. Eager to see some impressions about Goes and whether it's decent, but yeah my initial reaction to the game is that the all-female seiyuu casting is something of a gimmick to distinguish the product rather than something people were clamoring for.

The 'gimmick' got my attention, although I don't think I fit into the usual otome fan-type. Although pretty much anything with good voice actors, guy or girl, will get my attention :p

I do really like that guy.

My favorite is probably this dude though...
GMjVnnO.jpg

This guy is nice too...
lkFhiNb.jpg

As I was saying before, the artstyle in general for this game is really great. I'd love to give it a shot.

Fun fact, the artist of Geten no Hana, Kuku Hayate, draws BL manga. Actually, Hours Left might like them since she draws her men pretty manly compared to most BL artists.
Hohoho.

Thanks for the tip.

Jazz573

I believe Neoromance is a just an internal team at Koei Tecmo.

Saphirax

My favorite is Mitsuhide personally since I'm a sucker for cold characters that warm up over time (and he's super bish which is a huge preference for me)

uljm06234_00012.jpg

Ah found all of the new Neoromance info: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201512/06094696.html

I just did a Google search, and one of the results was:

"Looking for a historical game with a good plot?
Do you like strong characters, both male and female?
Do you value growth and gaining your relationships over given, romantic situations?
Then this is the game for you!"

Where do I sign up? :p

The 'gimmick' got my attention, although I don't think I fit into the usual otome fan-type. Although pretty much anything with good voice actors, guy or girl, will get my attention :p

According to someone on /vg/, the few Amazon reviews for it mention that it's not deep but it's cute. Also apparently there are some references to the drama CDs that might make it confusing for people who didn't listen to them. Overall sounds decent and as long as it doesn't have a "copy-pasted routes" complaint I'm happy.

And I think some catering to non-standard otome types is good. Not that I've played a ton, but having more unique games to choose from it best. Maybe someday there'll be an otome game with an entire cast of buff dudes.

Do you value growth and gaining your relationships over given, romantic situations?

Is this being brought over? ;3; they're cute and I like the description, lol

jzbluz

Unfortunately it's a PSP game :(.

It also has a mobile port, so KT could in theory bring that over. But they haven't localized any of their mobile games, and western KT doesn't care about otome games anyway.

Didn't RDF score really high as well? :(
That game was...well it was a game.

Harukanaru 6 scored better than RDF, I think, and that game was received pretty well. So Famitsu score still doesn't mean much, except if it's really low I guess.

Kirie

I do really like that guy.

My favorite is probably this dude though...

This guy is nice too...

As I was saying before, the artstyle in general for this game is really great. I'd love to give it a shot.

Hohoho.

Thanks for the tip.

I have a friend who loves Nao (the first guy) quite a bit.

Nobunaga is one of my favorite routes in the game surprisingly, because I didn't think I'd like his character much at all but he ended up great.

I love the artwork too! I especially love Hotaru's design; she's one of my favorite otoge heroine designs

Sounds about right! :D

If anyone is curious about the routes, there's an incredibly detailed write up for all of them over at http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Geten_no_Hana which helped me sort through some of the details I was missing since the historical based terminology is really rough for me.

But hey, maybe we can convince Koei to release the Neo Angelique colab project over here with Otomate, then that would open the way to some of these great games in the west :D The Ruby Party games in general are just fantastic, especially if you like historical-based otomes. Haruka 6 took place during the Taisho period which was super cool.

Saphirax

Interview with IFI

RPG Site: Our first question has got more to do with how Idea Factory has been diversifying lately, getting out of the RPG stuff and moving more towards the otome genre. Do you have any plans to release more of those types of those games to the Western market, especially on Steam?

President Akenaga: We want to release a lot more otome titles since we have so many that we can provide. At the same time, it is a lot of work. These games are huge, so it takes a lot of time to localize and especially to break even through that work.

RPG Site: What do you look for in an otome game that you want to localize? Do you feel that this is an untapped market, and have you seen success here?

President Akenaga: It is hard to tell since it is still so early. We did see how well Amnesia: Memories was doing. With our label, Otomate, you can see on our site that a lot of the conversation that the fans are having are about Hakuouki. So we can’t tell whether a lot of that passion is around Hakuouki or if they are loving otome as a genre. That is still hard to gauge, and that’s why it’s still early.

A lot more otome games....yespls.

Kirie

Very happy that it seems like Amnesia did well for them, and that they want to release more otomes over here. Great news!

You guys are reading into that much more positively than I am. The language used is pretty conservative, with talk about how difficult it is to break even and how much work it is to localize.

Top Bottom