• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ouya $59 dollars after promo code: calamity

drgambit

Banned
Meh! Why not?
Was planning on getting one anyway.
$59, free shipping and a $5 credit to buy something (or so the site claims).

Yep.
Using Paypal, you just login with Paypal, verify the information, it sends you back to Ouya's site, put the code and that's it.

NiIRr5m.png

COOL thanks!

James Coote

Neo Member
It runs an outdated Android OS with an outdated mobile chip. The controller I heard is cheap garbage that breaks easy. IMO its biggest mistake was making its own store instead of connecting to the android store. To run most android games on it you have to manually buy them off another machine and copy the files on to it. I would be hesitant to watch video on this, especially in HD, pretty sure there would be a lot of lag or a bad resolution.

That's the other thing. OUYA need to disassociate themselves from Android. It confuses consumers, who mistake it for meaning the console has something to do with mobile phones (which really it doesn't).

But it also seems to confuse game developers. If devs treated it as a console first and foremost, you wouldn't see anything like so many mobile ports or games that are really designed for touch screen and don't translate to a console controller and TV setup

Made this handy guide to illustrate the point: http://imgur.com/OJMe8EZ

That's why it makes much more sense to have its own store. To say "These apps are console games", whereas Google Play store 99% of games don't support controller, and don't account for overscan, and on top of that, the vast majority of utility apps simply make zero sense on OUYA. For example, an app that uses GPS to track when your train station is near and ring an alarm so you don't miss it

Maybe OUYA could have had GP in addition to their own store. So their own store is the default, but you can get to GP if you really want to. However, OUYA don't get a cut of the GP sales, and since they are selling OUYAs at cost or thereabouts, they wouldn't make any money / it would make little business sense

Onionkid

It runs an outdated Android OS with an outdated mobile chip. The controller I heard is cheap garbage that breaks easy. IMO its biggest mistake was making its own store instead of connecting to the android store. To run most android games on it you have to manually buy them off another machine and copy the files on to it. I would be hesitant to watch video on this, especially in HD, pretty sure there would be a lot of lag or a bad resolution.

Ah, that's a shame. Thanks for the info though!

Rocco from Mega64 being driven to piss on his Ouya was too compelling :(

(I can't believe they actually went with that promo code name)

Good to see this promo code get some more exposure outside of the OuyaForum - at $100, I already don't regret my purchase, but at $60, it's a no-brainer. The original game library isn't the greatest, but it does have a few games worth checking out beyond just using it as a streaming/emulator box.

No brainer eh.

Reaaaaal no brainer.

Don't buy an Ouya

Rootbeer

Banned
Until an Ouya 2 is released with a significantly better gamepad, they could sell it for $20 and i'd stll pass simply because I know I'd never use it.

Pains me to be so harsh on an upstart like this but they should really have released a product that's GOOD rather than focus so much on getting it under $100.

My roomate was a backer and got his on day 1, i still haven't bothered to even boot the thing up. All I needed was to hold the gamepad.

Ishan

10-25 dollar range and then ill seriously consider biting .... just for the convenience of an mobile games on tv device with a controller

Lol, you pussies. I know all the cool kids rag on ouya, and I'm sure they all have personal experience with it and aren't just regurgitating someone else's Piss. But for 60 its worth it as a media player, Xbmc and bombsquad - one of the funnest games I've ever played.

James Coote

Neo Member
For the uninitiated (aka, me), why is the Ouya not worth buying?

It was released as a minimum viable product, something most consumers, used to super-polished experience of other consoles, where not prepared for.

So most people (understandably) judged it on face value. In a world of rival fanboys arguing about which PS4/Xbox One console was better, OUYA made for something universal to hate on and pick holes in.

Not to say it didn't have problems. Many people found the controllers really laggy, and despite big improvements made in the UI/interface since launch, there are still big gaps compared to what you might expect on other consoles (no friends, no achievements, not even a list of what games you've downloaded)

Atolm

I have heard XBMC support for Android HW video-decoding has improved a lot in those past months, for 60$ I'd buy one, hell even for 99$, but it's 120€ here in Europe. Too expensive and I already have an Android stick, even if it is a pain in the ass to upgrade.

zewone

I'm thinking about buying this for the sole purpose of running emulators and a few Google Play games easily to my HDTV.

Am I crazy?

I have a few Android tablets and phones that can hook up to HDMI, but this just seems more convenient.

MegaMelon

I honestly don't see the point of OUYA. I'm not about to spend a decent amount of money (for a student in the Uk ;_;) to play crappy mobile games. Honestly my 3ds does whatever handheld gaming I want so I don't see OUYA beating it. And this is going to kill Xbox/Ps :lol
as long as it isn't making money off of emulators from other companies I'm ok with it existing. wait...

Ouya is pretty horrible but not for the reasons you might think

They shot themselves in the foot by deliberately spitting on the people they were marketing too

Android devs/modders/tinkerers

They did this on several occasions and made the system one of the worst devices to try to hack and put custom firmware on.

Which is a shame because the firmware they developed was a buggy mess and XBMC barely ran for me without crashing over and over.

It was a damn shame because it would have made and awesome emulator/media box (which it still does well actually) otherwise

It does have excellent emulator and controller support. But thats thanks to Android

Can you plug in different usb controllers? Like a wired 360 one?

Even Better

It supports 4 wireless controllers with the one wireless adapter

Tested myself with the N64 emulator

That said this would be true of any Android device unless OUYA added the drivers manually

daevv

Don't know about the 360, but you can definitely plug in a DualShock 3, works over Bluetooth (depending on game/app, of course).

Even Better

It supports 4 wireless controllers with the one wireless adapter

Tested myself with the N64 emulator

That said this would be true of any Android device unless OUYA added the drivers manually

Thanks! Now if I could only get that promo code to work on amazon.ca I could get a decent mancave emulator machine. :)

Atolm

Ouya is pretty horrible but not for the reasons you might think

They shot themselves in the foot by deliberately spitting on the people they were marketing too

Android devs/modders/tinkerers

They did this on several occasions and made the system one of the worst devices to try to hack and put custom firmware on.

Which is a shame because the firmware they developed was a buggy mess and XBMC barely ran for me without crashing over and over.

It was a damn shame because it would have made and awesome emulator/media box (which it still does well actually) otherwise

It does have excellent emulator and controller support. But thats thanks to Android

Yep, so much unfulfilled promise. A "hackable and open system" and we got that

The GAF hate train is pretty comical. You guys are so beholden to major corporations and $400-$500 systems that you can't see the forest from the trees. Hey, I love those next-gen powerhouses too, but do you really think Sony or MS give a shit about you? Newsflash: they don't, so the blind loyalty I always see in these threads just strikes me as naive and simpleminded. Ouya was an amazing buy at $99, and it's an absolute steal at $59. I love mine. Will it replace your PS4 or Wii U? No, of course not. But if you understand what it does do, there's a lot of value.

Ouya has Emulators for

PSP - PPSSPP
PS1 - FPSE
N64 - Mupen64plus
Snes - SNES9X 1.5+

And a few others I am sure

They all work fine. Just remember it only has 2 USB slots

BuzzJive

We got a couple at the office, and they aren't really that bad. I'm not much of a fan of the controller though. If they're willing to sell them for $60, they might as well bring out a $50/$40 model with no controller at all. You've got options to attach various bluetooth and USB controllers.

But honestly, $60 is a decent deal to check out some of the library of games or if you want to try some hobbyist game dev.

Laws00

Just got done watching the Mega64 VXG vids awards and the award they gave the Ouya made me laugh out loud

No Love

Banned
The GAF hate train is pretty comical. You guys are so beholden to major corporations and $400-$500 systems that you can't see the forest from the trees. Hey, I love those next-gen powerhouses too, but do you really think Sony or MS give a shit about you? Newsflash: they don't, so the blind loyalty I always see in these threads just strikes me as naive and simpleminded. Ouya was an amazing buy at $99, and it's an absolute steal at $59. I love mine. Will it replace your PS4 or Wii U? No, of course not. But if you understand what it does do, there's a lot of value.

yo dawg I know you huntin bargains but even at $59 this ain't a bargain. come on homeslice, back to slickdeals...

Zia

If you're hosting a holiday party with fun people, I'd say it's almost worth it as a TowerFall box.

Almost.

daveo42

Banned
Can you use 3rd party controllers on it? I think one of the two things stopping me from buying it right now is:

1) The Ouya controller sucks total ass
2) Not much in terms games I can't get elsewhere

The ability to run that new Dreamcast emu sounds pretty awesome, but that's about it for me.

We got a couple at the office, and they aren't really that bad. I'm not much of a fan of the controller though. If they're willing to sell them for $60, they might as well bring out a $50/$40 model with no controller at all. You've got options to attach various bluetooth and USB controllers.

But honestly, $60 is a decent deal to check out some of the library of games or if you want to try some hobbyist game dev.

Good to know.

I guess I should do Ouya Pros/Cons

Pros
- Android and most of the benefits
- Great Controller/Emulator selection and Support (use PS3/360 controllers!)
- Lots of media apps (XBMC, PLEX, etc..)
- Easy to disassemble
- Most apps can be sideloaded

Cons
- Ouya Controller and Touchpad
- Walled Garden Ouya Store. No Google Play
- Not hacker/android friendly. Was a nightmare to install Recovery etc..
- Has Overscan issues with certain TVs and doesn't have resolution options.
- *Performance varies due to unoptimized firmware*
- Low built in memory and no SD slot for expansion. Have to use up one of Two USB slots for expanded storage.
- Its 99 bucks so build quality is all over the place. Ensure all your ports work!
- Very Poor WiFi range likely do to use of very cheap parts.

* Firmware tends to be unstable and doesn't take advantage of the fact that it has a dedicated power supply by focusing on having a great heatsink and overclocking the TEGRA3 to maximum potential.*

So as you can see they didn't really deliver on the great potential an android device typically provides. With the right setup and provided you do some extra work you can get your money's worth from the system

I recommend hitting up XDA Developer forums for the limited improvements they provide the system there. http://forum.xda-developers.com/ouya

Top Bottom