• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ouya $59 dollars after promo code: calamity

Mine only has one USB slot?

Sorry my bad

I Included the Micro USB port in that

Reposting My List for the Top of the Page

I guess I should do Ouya Pros/Cons

Pros
- Android and most of the benefits
- Great Controller/Emulator selection and Support (use PS3/360 controllers!)
- Lots of media apps (XBMC, PLEX, etc..)
- Easy to disassemble
- Most apps can be sideloaded

Cons
- Ouya Controller and Touchpad
- Walled Garden Ouya Store. No Google Play
- Not hacker/android friendly. Was a nightmare to install Recovery etc..
- Has Overscan issues with certain TVs and doesn't have resolution options.
- *Performance varies due to unoptimized firmware*
- Low built in memory and no SD slot for expansion. Have to use up one of Two USB slots for expanded storage.
- Its 99 bucks so build quality is all over the place. Ensure all your ports work!
- Very Poor WiFi range likely do to use of very cheap parts.

* Firmware tends to be unstable and doesn't take advantage of the fact that it has a dedicated power supply by focusing on having a great heatsink and overclocking the TEGRA3 to maximum potential.*

So as you can see they didn't really deliver on the great potential an android device typically provides. With the right setup and provided you do some extra work you can get your money's worth from the system

I recommend hitting up XDA Developer forums for the limited improvements they provide the system there. http://forum.xda-developers.com/ouya

Meh! Why not?
Was planning on getting one anyway.
$59, free shipping and a $5 credit to buy something (or so the site claims).

Yep.
Using Paypal, you just login with Paypal, verify the information, it sends you back to Ouya's site, put the code and that's it.

NiIRr5m.png

Next month Ouya PR: Ouya sales up 100% over last month!

I kid, sort of. Good luck with it, hope it works out!

Booter

Many of the responses in this thread are highly emotional and seem to come from people that don't have an Ouya. It would be great to hear from owners who could speak rationally about their experience and the positives / negatives.

Many of the responses in this thread are highly emotional and seem to come from people that don't have an Ouya. It would be great to hear from owners who could speak rationally about their experience and the positives / negatives.

Read top of page

The pros/cons list posted above is pretty accurate.

I love my Ouya, but my biggest problem with it is definitely the HORRENDOUS wi-fi.

Ill be happy to field more in depth questions for anyone who plans to get one.

Just remember that there are a lot of compromises to be made in this price range. That said there is still a small community of devs trying to fix many of OUYA's largest issues

zewone

BTW, the "Calamity" code is because they're pushing the game "Killing Floor: Calamity." I just got an e-mail about that.

Does the email state that the code would only work for a few hours?

After reading some impressions, I'd like to purchase it, but the price shot back up.

topplehat

Kind of disappointed to hear about the Wifi, I was hoping to stream 720p/1080p video through Wifi on XBMC. Guess I will have to wait for Ouya 2.

After reading some impressions, I'd like to purchase it, but the price shot back up.
The e-mail actually has nothing to do with the code, just the Calamity game. You'd think they would send an e-mail about a deal like this, but no dice.

Is there an improved controller on the way btw? The way people talk about it, it sounds like a killer. Can somebody with real experience with one tell me what's actually so bad about it?

I should note that the majority of OUYA's few merits come from it being an Android based device

You can get similar functionality from any Android device of comparable hardware power.

Is there an improved controller on the way btw? The way people talk about it, it sounds like a killer. Can somebody with real experience with one tell me what's actually so bad about it?

Its not horrible

Just average. Comparable to a logitech PC controller I guess.

Then again when you can just use your existing PS3/360 controllers why bother

OnPoint

People overreact. The buttons sometimes stick, the dpad kinda sucks and the triggers are mushy. It feels cheap, but 90% of the time it's functional and works fine.

Massa

$60 for a little media box seems like a good price. The fact you can plug in a DS4 and play GTA San Andreas would seal the deal for me.

Edit: eh, reading this thread seems like it's not very friendly to custom Android firmware. Pass.

zewone

I should note that the majority of OUYA's few merits come from it being an Android based device

You can get similar functionality from any Android device of comparable hardware power.

I'm looking for something that would strictly hooked up to my TV.

I have tablets and phones with HDMI out, but I'd prefer something less clunky and hassle free to set up.

Out of the Android consoles release so far, this seems the best value for money at $60.

It's more powerful than the GameStick, and much, much cheaper than MadCatz M.O.J.O.

It's too bad my research to decide to purchase this took longer than the deal was available for.

$60 for a little media box seems like a good price. The fact you can plug in a DS4 and play GTA San Andreas would seal the deal for me.

I wish it was that simple.

Its performance is all over the place since its not overclocked, the firmware gets in the way, and it only outputs in 1080p when it would be better served to display at 720

I have not tested that particular game so I can't say if it will run well or now on Ouya

I'm looking for something that would strictly hooked up to my TV.

I have tablets and phones with HDMI out, but I'd prefer something less clunky and hassle free to set up.

Out of the Android consoles release so far, this seems the best value for money at $60.

It's more powerful than the GameStick, and much, much cheaper than MadCatz M.O.J.O.

It's too bad my research to decide to purchase this took longer than the deal was available for.

Its not a horrible choice.

I am working on getting much more out of it than the OUYA team is willing to provide though. Thanks to the kind folks over at XDA

ubercheez

greg+10.png

Kid overhears some folk in the market claiming another Calamity is coming. Turns out they're just trying to peddle their wares to the gullible. He shakes his head and keeps on walking.

I was a first-day backer and I changed my heart hours before the Kickstarter was over. I've patted myself on the back every day since then for cancelling my backing.

bigkrev

If you were considering getting a Roku for YOURSELF (not a less tech savvy person like your parents), the Ouya is a great alternative. You might have to jump through some hoops to get the apps on it, but it has everything the Roku has and more, and with the upside of playing games on it.

I would get a different controller though. I don't think the Ouya controller is as bad as most people say (I like the fit in my hands, and the trackpad on it works for what you need it to do), but the dpad is garbage.

zewone

Its not a horrible choice.

I am working on getting much more out of it than the OUYA team is willing to provide though. Thanks to the kind folks over at XDA

For someone strictly interested in the Ouya as an emulator machine, would you recommend going with Ouya or one of those Android Mini-PCs?

Thanks.

Honestly, I can't even justify this console, even at this price.

Not even as an emulation machine. Just get an Android tablet. It does more and probably has better specs.

I'm fairly happy with my purchase, it runs as a silent XBMC unit in my bedroom. More powerful than the RaspberryPi when going using other skins and scrolling through large libraries.

Sounds sweet, but I figure I may as well wait for the next-generation of android micro-consoles. Something with a Tegra 4 or Snapdragon 800 should be a htpc champ.

nampad

I would have already jumped at €99 but they had to sell them for €129 in Europe. For €59 it would be a sure thing for me and I maybe would even gift some, unfortunately the deal isn't available here :(

Guess they want to sell of the old model before they announce the updated version.

Jac_Solar

It was released as a minimum viable product, something most consumers, used to super-polished experience of other consoles, where not prepared for.

So most people (understandably) judged it on face value. In a world of rival fanboys arguing about which PS4/Xbox One console was better, OUYA made for something universal to hate on and pick holes in.

Not to say it didn't have problems. Many people found the controllers really laggy, and despite big improvements made in the UI/interface since launch, there are still big gaps compared to what you might expect on other consoles (no friends, no achievements, not even a list of what games you've downloaded)

Do, or did they plan on improving the hardware as well?

NolbertoS

I want to get a Ouya and Nvidia Shield, but I think I'll wait for Ouya 2. How's the gaming scene on Ouya?? Hope its not as small as the Vita library

Holy hell that Ouya games marketplace is depressing. It's like I was transported back in time to to made-with-Game-Maker sites from 2004

Top Bottom