• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overcooked Special Edition finally hitting the Switch this week

weekev

Banned
Is it manageable or strictly unplayable? I'm reading conflicting reports in this thread alone. The game's perfect for the switch if done right.
I've played 7 levels in 3 player and haven't noticed drops. It's not a Korok forest situation and the game is now rivalling Snipperclips in our house for best couch coop Switch game. It's amazing.

excowboy

Played this at my friend's place for a couple of hours on Thursday - its such a wonderful game. We were laughing like hyenas and swearing like marines. It does a brilliant job of taking real simplicity that anyone can pick up and then cranking up the stakes and the pressure. Whilst it can get really stressful we just found that hilarious too.

We played through about a dozen levels doing OK but I also got the impression that there is some depth to the gameplay - when things clicked on a particular level you really feel like you've mastered something. Its just an excellent excellent game - will pick it up for my PS4 for sure.

Also, didn't notice any framerate issues, played docked (sorry!).

dkeane

This game looks amazing with multiplayer but does it have any value as a single player game?

I love the art and the theme. I just know it will be rare to get people to play multi.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
just played this with the wife and her sister, what a fucking great game!

we played 4 rounds trying to 3 star level 1-2 holy shit its hard though especially when one person is.... challenged and starts dropping their tasks and panicking

Fliesen

Game is a blast, but holy fuck, the requirements for a 3 star seem brutal.

* Really stick with the orders to maximize tips.
* Don't forget that you don't have to put the food on the plate, but you can also scoop up the food with the plate in hand. (like, a soup pot essentially never needs to leave the stove, a pan never needs to leave the grill)

Fliesen

The single player IS the multiplayer

You press a button to change what character you control Lost Vikings style in single player

yes, you control 2 chefs - and when one of them is chopping, you can (or rather, must) switch to the other - the original one will continue chopping.

Same goes for washing plates.

It's not unfun, but definitely less fun than 2 player coop.

Platy

yes, you control 2 chefs - and when one of them is chopping, you can (or rather, must) switch to the other - the original one will continue chopping.

Same goes for washing plates.

It's not unfun, but definitely less fun than 2 player coop.

I agree, but then again the 2D Mario games are probably the only videogames ever made that has coop that are more fun in singleplayer

ozfunghi

Has anybody any idea why some people suffer these "horrible" framerate issues, while others don't?

Only in portable mode? From microSD card or internal memory? Both single player as multi? Pro controller or Joycons? On the can or in the couch? What did you eat this morning?

weekev

Banned
Has anybody any idea why some people suffer these "horrible" framerate issues, while others don't?

Only in portable mode? From microSD card or internal memory? Both single player as multi? Pro controller or Joycons? On the can or in the couch? What did you eat this morning?
Docked mode, 3 players, internal memory, all with joycons and had a cinnamon and raisin bagel and a cup of tea for breakfast. No framerate issues.

Fliesen

i think some people are just more sensitive to sub 30 than others.

I definitely noticed the lower frame rate when i was playing in portable mode (haven't tried it docked).
I don't think microSD vs. Internal would have ANY impact on frame rate, because we're not streaming a huge amount of assets from memory here.

Also, the only difference between 1, 2 and 4 player mode is up to two extra chef models (single player mode has 2 chefs as well).
It's all on the same screen at all times.

It's people's different tolerances, nothing more, nothing less. What some find horrible, some find bearable, others find perfectly okay.

Seik

Banned
This thread is one of the most confusing I've seen.

You have half of the people saying the framerate is terrible while the other half say they don't even noticed such thing.

What. The. Fuck.

*Flashes DF's logo in the sky*

PeterGAF

Banned

You have half of the people saying the framerate is terrible while the other half say they don't even noticed such thing.

What. The. Fuck.

Which probably means that there are legit frame rate issues and that people just don't care enough to notice. I doubt it makes the game unplayable though.

I had a theory that it is because the game doesn't really have drops but it is under 30 all the time. Some people are fine with that, some people doesn't even see that, but some like me can't stand that. Haven't played myself so can't really say, but thats how it seemed like after watching some youtube gameplay.

Fireblend

Banned
Is it manageable or strictly unplayable? I'm reading conflicting reports in this thread alone. The game's perfect for the switch if done right.
It's perfectly playable.
I don't own it but played it with 3 other friends the other day and it didn't impact our enjoyment one bit. I honestly didn't notice it after the tutorial, and I was already aware of the reports so I might have been unconsciously looking out for them. 5 minutes later it honestly didn't matter at all.

Fliesen

What. The. Fuck.

i just looked for a random youtube video of Switch gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyjcwt-oLbw

check that video - this is an accurate representation of how the game feels. - it's not the youtuber having wonky capture settings.
It's noticeably below 30 fps. You need to figure out to what degree this would irritate you.

Miker

check that video - this is an accurate representation of how the game feels. - it's not the youtuber having wonky capture settings.
It's noticeably below 30 fps. You need to figure out to what degree this would irritate you.

Coming from the PC version at 4k/60, yikes. That said, it looks playable in the sense that it's steady and not filled with random spikes.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Wow, that's bad. Totally unacceptable. I'm really beginning to think this system is just a portable Wii U in terms of performance. Seriously, it should NOT be having framerate issues.

harz-marz

Wow, that's bad. Totally unacceptable. I'm really beginning to think this system is just a portable Wii U in terms of performance. Seriously, it should NOT be having framerate issues.

Unacceptable yes, but blame the devs not the console.

How can Mario Kart 8 Delux double the resolution and maintain 60fps if it's just a "portable Wii U"?

The very first story mission has poor framerate issues, however, I had the same problem with the ps4 version. Despite this, I haven't had any issue with the rest of the game. Very pleased with the port. It's an incredible couch co-op.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
The performance doesn't bother me, however out far out the screen is Zoomed does. I wish you could adjust the camera just a little bit to Zoom In. Sometimes think look so tiny and small and I have a hard time differentiating between mushroom and onions or other ingredients that are the same color. Like whether the meat is cooked or not.

That's a complaint myself and my three other family members have all hard about the game, it's kind of hard to see stuff.

jariw

Coming from the PC version at 4k/60, yikes. That said, it looks playable in the sense that it's steady and not filled with random spikes.

All console versions of the game apparently are 30 fps, not 60 fps. So going from PC to console for this game (and others) would be a framerate downgrade.

Raysoul

We just had a 4 hour Overcooked session and the framerate didn't bother us. It's playable unless you are very sensitive to lower framerate.

essenn

Just played this and we were laughing the entire time.

Another perfect game for Switch
Ptzwq9Z.png

atr0cious

Biggest complaint now is just looseness in the controls, which is probably attributed partially to the framerate. There's a certain point where you're just stacking veg on the counter as you keep hitting every box but the one you want. Can be pretty frustrating for newcomers and inebriated alike. I suggested a dead zone settings option in the dev survey, so I hope something comes of it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Put me in the "doesn't notice the frame drops" camp. Just played about three hours with my sister and I couldn't tell you any gameplay impact it had

samred

I was waiting for someone to post a video, so I wouldn't just have to say "yes, this game suffers from inconsistent frame pacing, trust me." can confirm it runs this way.

having beaten Overcooked on PC, I have to say, consistent frame rate matters when you're trying to nail perfect pickups/drop-offs. there is NO WAY am I going to invest time trying to get 2- and 3-star ratings until this gets patched. I raged hard enough on my 60fps/4K PC rig when I was 1-2 dishes away from a top rating on a level. Overcooked gets verrrrry hard as you push towards the final levels, because they require a shit-ton of accumulated campaign stars to unlock. (the game's pixel-precision for picking up and dropping off dishes is doubly bad if you're also juggling the "switch characters" button while playing solo.)

kaydigi

I hope they can tighten up the loading, seems a little long. Also give a retry option at the end of story match since the retry option in the pause screen doesn't reload.

This game is the real shit, folks. I recommend everyone who has friends IRL who want to play this to give it a go, you won't regret it.

This managed to replace Smash and then Towerfall as the go-to game for me and my friends when we get together at my place.

Coxy100

Banned
Really considering this for me and my wife. Is two player good?
It's the main game my wife had played with me this generation. She doesn't play with me often - but she loved this. She was determined to get 3 stars on all levels!

Definitely get it mate. For me it's the best couch co OP game since castle Crashers

KingV

Biggest complaint now is just looseness in the controls, which is probably attributed partially to the framerate. There's a certain point where you're just stacking veg on the counter as you keep hitting every box but the one you want. Can be pretty frustrating for newcomers and inebriated alike. I suggested a dead zone settings option in the dev survey, so I hope something comes of it.

Yeah, that's my biggest complaint too. I feel like another solution is for person the characters to like "lock in" on the items a bit. It's too easy to pick up the wrong thing.

Other thing is that I think the idea to lock levels behind # of stars is a bad idea. We were a good enough team to beat the 3rd star on all of the levels, but we stopped playing when we had to go back and try to get the second star from other levels.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah, that's my biggest complaint too. I feel like another solution is for person the characters to like "lock in" on the items a bit. It's too easy to pick up the wrong thing.

Other thing is that I think the idea to lock levels behind # of stars is a bad idea. We were a good enough team to beat the 3rd star on all of the levels, but we stopped playing when we had to go back and try to get the second star from other levels.

I wonder if its party deliberate to add to the chaos

Steiner

Banned
My wife is having a really tough time picking up and setting down things in the right spot. She keeps dropping ingredients on the square next to the cutting board, setting plates down beside the finished dish instead of plating them, etc.

This is even happening to me pretty frequently when in a hurry. I feel like there needs to be a little give. If she's holding an ingredient and standing right in front of the cutting board and presses A.... Just let it drop on the damn cutting board, even if her character is facing very slightly to the right or left.

It's been a huge point of frustration for her and it's making her feel like she's screwing up the levels for me. =/

NimbusD

Yeah or just let us use the dpad. Everything is on an x y axis anyway

Or just have the square that you have selected always be highlighted so you know where you're about to place something.

Raysoul

Aside from the Ice levels, the controls are fine. People shouldn't rush and panic. People shouldn't also try to get 3-stars on the first try. Me and my GF make mistakes because of our own fault, not the game. We did improve over time and we have already 3-starred most of the levels.

Top Bottom